AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
The Twitterati speaketh
Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“Tectonic Plates of Realignment will start to move around and build some heat 24 months from now. All kinds of back channel talks will begin among University Presidents and Top Media Executives”

--------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“Sometime in the Spring of 2020 Universities among the Big 12 will need to start pushing Oklahoma & Texas on their vision going forward.”

---------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“It has to start in 2020. Oklahoma will be gathering options in back channel talks with PAC, Big Ten & SEC. Oklahoma’s 3rd Tier Contract ends in 2022. Oklahoma will want to create feeding frenzy. Everyone in industry know this to be true”

----------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

“FOX Sports is loading up. Just acquired NFL Thursday Night Package. FOX Sports offered way above competitors for new NFL Package. FOX Sports now all-in on live sport content”

-----------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“There is nothing going on inside Big 12. No Conference initiatives to build any Big Conference new platforms big or small to help drive Big 12 brand in any growing capacity”

-------------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“It is true, today everything is quiet. But it’s also inconceivable talks stay dormant past Spring of 2020”. Big Business needs a runway”

--------------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“Everyone will load up to push their best possible deals toward Oklahoma. You only can get Texas if you get Oklahoma. If you come up short on Texas you still get a University in OU which will greatly adds to any Conference.”

---------------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“PAC’s apparel deals among its top line branded Universities show an underrated value within its Conference. Must, and will, simplify its Conference Network into one media box. Need to unravel its complexity”

----------------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“Some in industry expect USC to leak out info on them looking at and researching possible path toward Independence in Football to push PAC into some reform in next few years, but nobody will take these leaks seriously”

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“PAC has no interest in any merger with Big 12. This discussion wouldn’t get past the first open meeting at Berkeley. This is not a serious topic.”

-----------------------------

Well, there you go.

For some of these, I think I've heard some of this stuff before.
02-13-2018 09:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: The Twitterati speaketh
(02-13-2018 09:36 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“Tectonic Plates of Realignment will start to move around and build some heat 24 months from now. All kinds of back channel talks will begin among University Presidents and Top Media Executives”

--------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“Sometime in the Spring of 2020 Universities among the Big 12 will need to start pushing Oklahoma & Texas on their vision going forward.”

---------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“It has to start in 2020. Oklahoma will be gathering options in back channel talks with PAC, Big Ten & SEC. Oklahoma’s 3rd Tier Contract ends in 2022. Oklahoma will want to create feeding frenzy. Everyone in industry know this to be true”

----------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

“FOX Sports is loading up. Just acquired NFL Thursday Night Package. FOX Sports offered way above competitors for new NFL Package. FOX Sports now all-in on live sport content”

-----------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“There is nothing going on inside Big 12. No Conference initiatives to build any Big Conference new platforms big or small to help drive Big 12 brand in any growing capacity”

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“It is true, today everything is quiet. But it’s also inconceivable talks stay dormant past Spring of 2020”. Big Business needs a runway”

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“Everyone will load up to push their best possible deals toward Oklahoma. You only can get Texas if you get Oklahoma. If you come up short on Texas you still get a University in OU which will greatly adds to any Conference.”

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“PAC’s apparel deals among its top line branded Universities show an underrated value within its Conference. Must, and will, simplify its Conference Network into one media box. Need to unravel its complexity”

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“Some in industry expect USC to leak out info on them looking at and researching possible path toward Independence in Football to push PAC into some reform in next few years, but nobody will take these leaks seriously”

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

“PAC has no interest in any merger with Big 12. This discussion wouldn’t get past the first open meeting at Berkeley. This is not a serious topic.”

Well, there you go.

They make some flawed assumptions here.

1. FOX going all out for NFL games could just be their deliberately taking a different and less competitive stance with ESPN since now if ESPN makes money they make money. So assuming that FOX is going all in on sports broadcasting is erroneous. NBC, ABC, and CBS have not gone all in on college ball when they they had the NFL.

2. 2020 may be about right for the backdoor talks to begin for 2022-3 movement. The buyout of the last two years of the GOR won't amount to much for Texas and Oklahoma.

3. However, if ESPN gets concerned about new entrants into their world the incentive will be there for them to place all 10 of the Big 12 schools and renegotiate contracts, extending their deadlines, before things open up for all parties to get involved. That and that alone could make this pop before 2020. This would be especially true if ESPN tries to land some Texas product for the opening of the ACCN in 2019. A move to 20 schools in the SEC and ACC could absorb the Big 12 easily.

Texas, Baylor, T.C.U. and Kansas State to the ACC with Notre Dame all in and you are at 20.

Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and West Virginia to the SEC and you can make the move at the end of the coming season.

4. If ESPN opts not to go that route then the bidding for OU and UT will be all out in 2020 for 2023.

5. ESPN goes all out for the rest of the Big 10 contract and then divides the Big 12 property 3 ways. This still works for them when the B1G contract comes up for renewal in 2022.

6. ESPN goes for the PACN and that makes a Texas move with friends possible to the PAC.

Somehow in these I don't see a big FOX push for college product being a factor. They could just get a wink from ESPN and hold their own. They could give ESPN a wink and let them take a little bit more. Or they could sell out to an ESPN competitor and let whatever ESPN makes in the market be their stake in the profits. This is why some have speculated that Murdoch may sell out to Amazon for large number of shares of Amazon stock. Disney and Amazon are two stocks to hold onto.

So it's going to get interesting. But remember this, outside of the PAC which right now can't offer the financial package necessary to attract Oklahoma or Texas, the SEC is the only conference than can take OSU to get OU. No matter what happens that is still our ace in a whole to get OU and OU is our ace in the hole to get UT.
02-13-2018 10:09 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(02-13-2018 09:36 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

--------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

---------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

----------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

-----------------------

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

Greg Flugaur

@flugempire
2h2 hours ago

BTM

Well, there you go.

I found most of these superfluous. The one I did think was noteworthy was the assertion that there was no B12 unified effort to improve the conference. For OU and UTX, such a strategy seem appropriate. But I don't understand how the other 8 schools aren't trying to come up with something to justify keeping the B12 together.
02-14-2018 12:49 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I figured most anything that was substantive from Flugaur's remarks were basically old news.

That and the notion of getting OU to get Texas is one you will find JR has been outlining for some time now.

In other words, I feel like Flugaur is now basically reporting whatever he sees on this board(and perhaps others to some degree) as new revelations.

As someone pointed out on another thread on the P5 board, rumors about USC independence have already been out there for weeks.
02-14-2018 04:02 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-14-2018 04:02 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I figured most anything that was substantive from Flugaur's remarks were basically old news.

That and the notion of getting OU to get Texas is one you will find JR has been outlining for some time now.

In other words, I feel like Flugaur is now basically reporting whatever he sees on this board(and perhaps others to some degree) as new revelations.

As someone pointed out on another thread on the P5 board, rumors about USC independence have already been out there for weeks.

The funny thing about it all ATU is that taking Oklahoma to get Texas is a flawed assumption for anyone not named SEC. Oklahoma is the final thread in a tapestry of Arkansas, Texas A&M and familiar face Missouri that almost compels Texas to toss in with us if they want any familiar faces of note to their fan base on their schedule.

Oklahoma is just one school, an important one, but one school. It's also why if we offered Texas Tech too it would make it extremely difficult for Texas to say no. And more importantly if they did say no then it doesn't affect us at all. We still have all of Texas we would ever need.

The PAC can take a contingent, but they can't monetize it. The Big 10 might can take OU but it can't take any of the other Texas schools or Oklahoma State.

The SEC is in prime position on this one. And the Oklahoma strategy is only compelling for us. Texas played the RRSO (now RRR) for decades while the two were in different conferences.
02-14-2018 04:14 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(02-14-2018 04:14 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-14-2018 04:02 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I figured most anything that was substantive from Flugaur's remarks were basically old news.

The funny thing about it all ATU is that taking Oklahoma to get Texas is a flawed assumption for anyone not named SEC. Oklahoma is the final thread in a tapestry of Arkansas, Texas A&M and familiar face Missouri that almost compels Texas to toss in with us if they want any familiar faces of note to their fan base on their schedule.

Oklahoma is just one school, an important one, but one school. It's also why if we offered Texas Tech too it would make it extremely difficult for Texas to say no. And more importantly if they did say no then it doesn't affect us at all. We still have all of Texas we would ever need.

The PAC can take a contingent, but they can't monetize it. The Big 10 might can take OU but it can't take any of the other Texas schools or Oklahoma State.

The SEC is in prime position on this one. And the Oklahoma strategy is only compelling for us. Texas played the RRSO (now RRR) for decades while the two were in different conferences.

The thing that rubs me the wrong way is OU fans and their BMD's stating how they are too good for the 'cesspool' that is the SEC and that its member institutions are nothing more than 'football factories'. Not that I can stand it from Longhorn backers, but that is the kind of false pretentiousness one would expect out of Austin. But having Sooners fan croon about the academic prestige and unblemished recruiting practices of the B1G and PAC is so sanctimonious that part of me hopes Sankey takes OKST and TCU just out of spite. /rant

JR, I know the history of the RRSO is one where the teams played OOC, but do you think the Longhorns use the game as leverage to get OU to go with them to whatever UTX preferred new home is?
02-14-2018 07:24 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-14-2018 07:24 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

The thing that rubs me the wrong way is OU fans and their BMD's stating how they are too good for the 'cesspool' that is the SEC and that its member institutions are nothing more than 'football factories'. Not that I can stand it from Longhorn backers, but that is the kind of false pretentiousness one would expect out of Austin. But having Sooners fan croon about the academic prestige and unblemished recruiting practices of the B1G and PAC is so sanctimonious that part of me hopes Sankey takes OKST and TCU just out of spite. /rant

JR, I know the history of the RRSO is one where the teams played OOC, but do you think the Longhorns use the game as leverage to get OU to go with them to whatever UTX preferred new home is?

I chalk their chatter up to decades of Okie insecurity. They are the progeny of honest dirt farmers who had lousy luck with crops in the dust bowl days, suffered the depression the same as the rest of the nation but only in the hopeless conditions brought on by poor farming techniques, and whose ancestors didn't leave for California and had something of a Jed Clampett moment when oil was discovered. So they've had a much higher standard than the ancestors they should be proud of, but instead somehow feel embarrassed by, so they need to put on airs to seem important as some kind of perfume for their past. But the ones I've known are deep down fairly straight shooting honest people about everything but their social standing. So yeah I understand why you feel that way. Here are the Barry Switzer disciples. The very coach whose practices at athletic dorms led the NCAA to eradicate their usage, and who ran a program so dirty that it must have made S.M.U. feel like small timers, and they are bitching and pointing fingers at us? I get it.

But to answer your question Texas knows that Oklahoma will be able to earn enough without them that they won't use the RRR as leverage. Besides A&M would be happy to occupy that date at the Texas State Fair with the Sooners and Texas knows it.

Now back to the above explanation, it is why I've always favored finding someway to just add Florida State and Clemson and call it a day. They are here. They are like us in every way, they go to church and work with us, and to lack for an original response, "They just mean more!"
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 08:27 PM by JRsec.)
02-14-2018 08:23 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(02-14-2018 07:24 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  The thing that rubs me the wrong way is OU fans and their BMD's stating how they are too good for the 'cesspool' that is the SEC and that its member institutions are nothing more than 'football factories'. Not that I can stand it from Longhorn backers, but that is the kind of false pretentiousness one would expect out of Austin. But having Sooners fan croon about the academic prestige and unblemished recruiting practices of the B1G and PAC is so sanctimonious that part of me hopes Sankey takes OKST and TCU just out of spite. /rant

I roll my eyes whenever someone outside our league starts talking about our "culture."

What exactly is it that they're worried about? The Hugh Freeze types?

Until someone starts kicking over rocks and finding people like Larry Nassar, Jerry Sandusky, and Art Briles then I'm not going to worry too much about our "culture."

Frankly, it takes a special degree of stupidity to look at the real scandals and still believe that the SEC is somehow full of moral degenerates. That's even before you look at the basic facts of a discussion like this..Miami, Ohio State, USC, and even Oklahoma have all been taken down in major pay for play scandals. North Carolina engaged in academic fraud for two decades. Then there's the recent case with Notre Dame that wasn't as pervasive, admittedly.

But I do agree, if certain schools are too sanctimonious or foolish to want to partner with us then we're better off without them.
02-14-2018 08:42 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(02-14-2018 08:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I chalk their chatter up to decades of Okie insecurity. They are the progeny of honest dirt farmers who had lousy luck with crops in the dust bowl days, suffered the depression the same as the rest of the nation but only in the hopeless conditions brought on by poor farming techniques, and whose ancestors didn't leave for California and had something of a Jed Clampett moment when oil was discovered. So they've had a much higher standard than the ancestors they should be proud of, but instead somehow feel embarrassed by, so they need to put on airs to seem important as some kind of perfume for their past. But the ones I've known are deep down fairly straight shooting honest people about everything but their social standing. So yeah I understand why you feel that way. Here are the Barry Switzer disciples. The very coach whose practices at athletic dorms led the NCAA to eradicate their usage, and who ran a program so dirty that it must have made S.M.U. feel like small timers, and they are bitching and pointing fingers at us? I get it.

But to answer your question Texas knows that Oklahoma will be able to earn enough without them that they won't use the RRR as leverage. Besides A&M would be happy to occupy that date at the Texas State Fair with the Sooners and Texas knows it.

Now back to the above explanation, it is why I've always favored finding someway to just add Florida State and Clemson and call it a day. They are here. They are like us in every way, they go to church and work with us, and to lack for an original response, "They just mean more!"

But they just don't want to join your league.............

the SEC needs West Virginia and Louisville
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 10:02 PM by XLance.)
02-14-2018 09:57 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Screw Conference Killing Cancer

Add TCU and OU in the west and Miami and West Virginia in the east
02-14-2018 10:44 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM

So, the OU that is too good to join our "football factory", signed Doriel Green Beckham after Missouri kicked him off the team for drugs and other issues. If any school is driven by football, it is OU.
02-14-2018 10:59 PM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(02-14-2018 08:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Now back to the above explanation, it is why I've always favored finding someway to just add Florida State and Clemson and call it a day. They are here. They are like us in every way, they go to church and work with us, and to lack for an original response, "They just mean more!"

Yeah, it would be nice but I don't think they are interested. Moreover, those are mortal blows to the ACC.

(02-14-2018 09:57 PM)XLance Wrote:  But they just don't want to join your league.............

You know good and well the SEC doesn't have any needs that either one of those schools fulfill. The conference can thrive at 14, 15 or even 16.
02-15-2018 10:29 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-15-2018 10:29 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(02-14-2018 08:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Now back to the above explanation, it is why I've always favored finding someway to just add Florida State and Clemson and call it a day. They are here. They are like us in every way, they go to church and work with us, and to lack for an original response, "They just mean more!"

Yeah, it would be nice but I don't think they are interested. Moreover, those are mortal blows to the ACC.

(02-14-2018 09:57 PM)XLance Wrote:  But they just don't want to join your league.............

You know good and well the SEC doesn't have any needs that either one of those schools fulfill. The conference can thrive at 14, 15 or even 16.

I wasn't making a business statement here Vandiver, but the interest has been there, it's just that those two are tied down by more strings than a GOR. I was making a personal statement. I would like for the SEC to be Southeastern. There's too much dilution of passion, tradition, and the family feel of the conference when we continue to push the boundaries outward.
02-15-2018 10:45 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(02-15-2018 10:45 AM)JRsec Wrote:  I wasn't making a business statement here Vandiver, but the interest has been there, it's just that those two are tied down by more strings than a GOR. I was making a personal statement. I would like for the SEC to be Southeastern. There's too much dilution of passion, tradition, and the family feel of the conference when we continue to push the boundaries outward.

The bolded part above is my single largest personal issue with realignment. I cringe that Missouri is in the SEC, that Rutgers and Maryland are in the B1G, that Colorado is in the PAC, that West Virginia is in the XII, etc.

I would love to see literal regional conferences no matter the size. The PAC staying "West Coast" (not just West), the B1G staying Great Lakes and Midwest, the SEC being Southeast, the ACC being both Atlantic and Coastal, a power Northeast conference, the Southwest Conference returning, and whatever else along those lines.
02-15-2018 11:03 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-15-2018 11:03 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(02-15-2018 10:45 AM)JRsec Wrote:  I wasn't making a business statement here Vandiver, but the interest has been there, it's just that those two are tied down by more strings than a GOR. I was making a personal statement. I would like for the SEC to be Southeastern. There's too much dilution of passion, tradition, and the family feel of the conference when we continue to push the boundaries outward.

The bolded part above is my single largest personal issue with realignment. I cringe that Missouri is in the SEC, that Rutgers and Maryland are in the B1G, that Colorado is in the PAC, that West Virginia is in the XII, etc.

I would love to see literal regional conferences no matter the size. The PAC staying "West Coast" (not just West), the B1G staying Great Lakes and Midwest, the SEC being Southeast, the ACC being both Atlantic and Coastal, a power Northeast conference, the Southwest Conference returning, and whatever else along those lines.

The problem is that until the business end earns more, or at least spends way less to stay regional then we will keep pushing things outward. It is unnatural. But it is a matter of Network priorities trumping Conference ones. You could argue that in some cases conferences should fail and in other cases they should have been preserved. Nobody is competing with the PAC for the West Coast so their boundary is natural. The Southwest is a much different animal and probably should have been preserved along with Colorado and the Kansas and Oklahoma schools and probably inclusive of the two Utah schools But the Big 8 and ACC might best have been divided between the Big East and the SEC and SWC and the Big 10. What if there were 5 conferences but they looked like this:

PAC:

Arizona, Arizona State, California, Cal Los Angeles, Southern Cal

Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Washington, Washington State

SWC:

Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Christian, Texas Tech

Air Force, Brigham Young, Colorado, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Utah

Big 10:

Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue

Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Wisconsin

Big East:

Army, Boston College, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse

Cincinnati, Louisville, Maryland, Navy, Penn State, Temple, West Virginia

SEC:

Clemson, Duke, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Kentucky, L.S.U., Miami, Mississippi, Miss State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

That's 5 conferences, not necessarily of equal size, but very regional in nature and more naturally divided.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018 12:01 PM by JRsec.)
02-15-2018 12:00 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(02-15-2018 10:29 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

You are absolutely correct. The SEC does not need to expand.
BUT the weakest flank of the SEC is to the north (Kentucky and Missouri) because they protrude out of your defined space and into somewhere else.
Culturally there is no where that you can go to support Missouri except to the southwest and then there is only a tiny border with Oklahoma. You won't find anything close to SEC culture in Illinois, Kansas or Iowa.
Kentucky is a different situation. While I think that redundancy is not ideal in realignment today, it does strengthen Kentucky's (the state) strength in the region and helps but helps define and expand the SEC's reach up and down the Ohio River Valley. West Virginia is just an extension of Kentucky on the SEC side of the mountains that has a shared Appalachian culture.
To me Louisville and West Virginia are the two best cultural fits for the SEC, unfortunately for all parties involved, they are not the most profitable.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018 12:52 PM by XLance.)
02-15-2018 12:51 PM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(02-15-2018 12:00 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-15-2018 11:03 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  

The problem is that until the business end earns more, or at least spends way less to stay regional then we will keep pushing things outward. It is unnatural. But it is a matter of Network priorities trumping Conference ones. You could argue that in some cases conferences should fail and in other cases they should have been preserved. Nobody is competing with the PAC for the West Coast so their boundary is natural. The Southwest is a much different animal and probably should have been preserved along with Colorado and the Kansas and Oklahoma schools and probably inclusive of the two Utah schools But the Big 8 and ACC might best have been divided between the Big East and the SEC and SWC and the Big 10. What if there were 5 conferences but they looked like this:

PAC:

Arizona, Arizona State, California, Cal Los Angeles, Southern Cal

Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Washington, Washington State

SWC:

Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Christian, Texas Tech

Air Force, Brigham Young, Colorado, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Utah

Big 10:

Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue

Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Wisconsin

Big East:

Army, Boston College, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse

Cincinnati, Louisville, Maryland, Navy, Penn State, Temple, West Virginia

SEC:

Clemson, Duke, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Kentucky, L.S.U., Miami, Mississippi, Miss State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

That's 5 conferences, not necessarily of equal size, but very regional in nature and more naturally divided.

I like that a lot better than what we have today.
02-15-2018 01:05 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

Understood. You know more than anyone how much I wish UTK played Auburn more than once every decade. My hope is than if SEC has to add new additions that serious consideration in given into whether or not they will maintain the passion and tradition that SEC football is known for, even at the expense of increased distributions.
02-15-2018 02:45 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(02-15-2018 12:51 PM)XLance Wrote:  You are absolutely correct. The SEC does not need to expand.
BUT the weakest flank of the SEC is to the north (Kentucky and Missouri) because they protrude out of your defined space and into somewhere else.
Culturally there is no where that you can go to support Missouri except to the southwest and then there is only a tiny border with Oklahoma. You won't find anything close to SEC culture in Illinois, Kansas or Iowa.
Kentucky is a different situation. While I think that redundancy is not ideal in realignment today, it does strengthen Kentucky's (the state) strength in the region and helps but helps define and expand the SEC's reach up and down the Ohio River Valley. West Virginia is just an extension of Kentucky on the SEC side of the mountains that has a shared Appalachian culture.
To me Louisville and West Virginia are the two best cultural fits for the SEC, unfortunately for all parties involved, they are not the most profitable.

Mizzou's issue can be resolved by either moving them west or dissolving divisions altogether. From that point it would be up to the Tigers to craft an identity for themselves within the conference. Easier said than done since for so long Mizzou has defined itself mostly in relation to KU.

UK already plays UL annually so the addition would be meaningless. Furthermore, the SEC's roundball improvements along with the Wildcats increasing their commitment to football have been mutually beneficial IMO. While WVU would work in either the SEC or ACC, the fixer-upper phase of CR is past and opening.

But your entire premise is predicated on the idea that Mizzou and/or UK are vulnerable to the allure of other conferences. I don't think anyone in Birmingham is concerned about that. While they would be surely missed, the SEC would simply soldier on as there would be any number of willing replacements.
02-15-2018 02:59 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(02-15-2018 02:59 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(02-15-2018 12:51 PM)XLance Wrote:  You are absolutely correct. The SEC does not need to expand.

Mizzou's issue can be resolved by either moving them west or dissolving divisions altogether. From that point it would be up to the Tigers to craft an identity for themselves within the conference. Easier said than done since for so long Mizzou has defined itself mostly in relation to KU.

UK already plays UL annually so the addition would be meaningless. Furthermore, the SEC's roundball improvements along with the Wildcats increasing their commitment to football have been mutually beneficial IMO. While WVU would work in either the SEC or ACC, the fixer-upper phase of CR is past and opening.

But your entire premise is predicated on the idea that Mizzou and/or UK are vulnerable to the allure of other conferences. I don't think anyone in Birmingham is concerned about that. While they would be surely missed, the SEC would simply soldier on as there would be any number of willing replacements.

No, not true.
The premise is that the SEC has a weakness, and is vulnerable to lose market share/support in areas that should be solid.
02-15-2018 04:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.