Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

T.C.U. AD Says About the Future of the Big 12, "There Are No Guarantees."
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
T.C.U. AD Says About the Future of the Big 12, "There Are No Guarantees."
You might want to read this. It doesn't say there will be movement, but it confirms what we already know and to have an A.D. speak this candidly is fresh. He simply says he hopes realignment is over (while he upgrades to improve their image and profile) but states firmly "there are no guarantees." He also seems to think that Texas would protect Texas Tech and that Oklahoma would protect Oklahoma State and suspects that Kansas would try to do the same for Kansas State. He talks to those A.D.'s all of the time so I guess he would know.

http://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/20...uarantees/
02-10-2018 12:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
RE: T.C.U. AD Says About the Future of the Big 12, "There Are No Guarantees."
If it's in trouble, then TCU is in trouble.
02-10-2018 01:25 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
In other words, if the Big XII breaks up, TCU is available...
02-10-2018 06:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
He is correct about all that.

But I do think that if some new wave of expansion consumes the L10 that TCU is attractive enough to potentially get an invite to 3 of the 4 remaining super powers.

I also think that Texas Tech and Okie state fans expecting to be rescued from realignment by state politics a second time are in for a dissapointment. This isn't 1995 anymore.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2018 09:13 AM by 10thMountain.)
02-10-2018 09:11 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
If the pieces on the board start moving then TCU is in trouble.

The Big 12 will rebuild but it won't have the same strength it once had.

I'm interested to see if the rebuilding process will be an entirely eastern one at the expense of the AAC or if they will also look west at BYU and MWC schools.
02-10-2018 10:38 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
"My hope is that super conferences are a thing of the past and are never close to happening again. As I’ve discussed many times, the rugged road of the Big 12 is starting to turn heads in football and basketball. Fans, pundits and other conferences are realizing how difficult and true round robin in football and a double round robin in hoops really is, especially with the depth the Big 12 possesses."

Since it is so rugged, maybe they would be encouraged to invite schools like Cincinnati and UCF to garner easy wins in football and basketball.
02-10-2018 10:53 AM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
I doubt I’m the only one who thinks TCU could be a good option in the PAC or ACC assuming the SEC is not an option. Package TCU with Houston and you got a couple decent schools in cities with easy access. It’s not like Baylor in Waco.
02-10-2018 11:39 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(02-10-2018 11:39 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I doubt I’m the only one who thinks TCU could be a good option in the PAC or ACC assuming the SEC is not an option. Package TCU with Houston and you got a couple decent schools in cities with easy access. It’s not like Baylor in Waco.

It’s a shame the Pac 10 couldn’t have taken in the leftovers of the SWC (TCU, Houston, SMU, Rice) when the SWC broke up - of course if Colorado and Utah are along for the ride then that probably changes too many other things.
02-10-2018 12:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
As we discussed in the other thread, the most likely outcome in the near term is that UT and OU will stay where they are. But the thing that every Big 12 program other than OU would be concerned about is UT moving somewhere alone, or with only OU.

If that ever happened... the problem is that then it boils down to convincing the members of one of the other leagues that you will help them make more money than they already make.
02-10-2018 01:38 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(02-10-2018 09:11 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  He is correct about all that.

But I do think that if some new wave of expansion consumes the L10 that TCU is attractive enough to potentially get an invite to 3 of the 4 remaining super powers.

I also think that Texas Tech and Okie state fans expecting to be rescued from realignment by state politics a second time are in for a dissapointment. This isn't 1995 anymore.

I don't see it unless the conference reforms in some way. TCU is not a big state school or close to any other traditional power conference.

If the Big 12 breaks up, they fall to the AAC or MWC.
02-10-2018 01:47 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-10-2018 01:38 PM)Wedge Wrote:  As we discussed in the other thread, the most likely outcome in the near term is that UT and OU will stay where they are. But the thing that every Big 12 program other than OU would be concerned about is UT moving somewhere alone, or with only OU.

If that ever happened... the problem is that then it boils down to convincing the members of one of the other leagues that you will help them make more money than they already make.

Well Dallas / Ft. Worth brings more potential viewers than most small to mid sized states. So if they add the medical school, enhance their facilities, and add requisite sports they are the only school of the Big 12's lesser 8 that can make a legitimate run at it without the help of OU or UT, except of course for Kansas.
02-10-2018 02:07 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(02-10-2018 11:39 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I doubt I’m the only one who thinks TCU could be a good option in the PAC or ACC assuming the SEC is not an option. Package TCU with Houston and you got a couple decent schools in cities with easy access. It’s not like Baylor in Waco.

The schools the Pac would come to Texas for are Texas, Rice and maybe Texas Tech or Houston, especially if they come as a package/political deal.

TCU has no shot without some regional rivals. They'd have to be with Texas, OU and Oklahoma State or Tech. But no fewer than three and even then, why add TCU when Rice, academically speaking, is available?
02-10-2018 02:39 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(02-10-2018 12:35 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  

It’s a shame the Pac 10 couldn’t have taken in the leftovers of the SWC (TCU, Houston, SMU, Rice) when the SWC broke up - of course if Colorado and Utah are along for the ride then that probably changes too many other things.

Why would they? Which major conference was ridiculously spread across the country before 2003? The fartherst any of the major conferences spread was from Boston, to Virginia, to Miami. Otherwise, they were regionally concise and logical.

The only reason the Pac would come this far east is for Texas and if they had their way, Texas alone. Their dream, instead of Utah, would be Texas and Colorado as an eastern duo or Texas and A&M.
02-10-2018 02:55 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(02-10-2018 02:07 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-10-2018 01:38 PM)Wedge Wrote:  As we discussed in the other thread, the most likely outcome in the near term is that UT and OU will stay where they are. But the thing that every Big 12 program other than OU would be concerned about is UT moving somewhere alone, or with only OU.

Well Dallas / Ft. Worth brings more potential viewers than most small to mid sized states. So if they add the medical school, enhance their facilities, and add requisite sports they are the only school of the Big 12's lesser 8 that can make a legitimate run at it without the help of OU or UT, except of course for Kansas.

TCU is not Dallas/Fort Worth. It's Fort Worth at best. You'll get some casual fans but that's about it.

Except Baylor and maybe Kansas State (who is tied to the hip with Kansas), I think TCU has the least appeal of all Big 12 schools except Baylor.

But as I said, kudos to them for not curling up in a ball and dying like a certain school I know after the SWC.
02-10-2018 03:06 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-10-2018 03:06 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(02-10-2018 02:07 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

TCU is not Dallas/Fort Worth. It's Fort Worth at best. You'll get some casual fans but that's about it.

Except Baylor and maybe Kansas State (who is tied to the hip with Kansas), I think TCU has the least appeal of all Big 12 schools except Baylor.

But as I said, kudos to them for not curling up in a ball and dying like a certain school I know after the SWC.

It doesn't matter really. The issue isn't T.C.U., but rather the exposure that a brand school coming in to play them would have. T.C.U. is an access point into that market. They don't have to carry it.
02-10-2018 03:18 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I get you, I'm not trying to shout down your opinion or anything but you could say that about a lot of schools. I don't think if the Big 12 added SMU that they'd suddenly have a major presence in Dallas. And even if it was decades ago, SMU used to be a much bigger deal in Dallas than TCU ever was in Fort Worth, at least since the Leather Helmet era.

In other words, TCU has peaked and they benefit greatly from being around regional rivals that buy tickets and even season tickets so they can guarantee themselves a seat in their stadium on gameday.
02-10-2018 03:42 PM
Advertisement

SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
[quote='Wedge' pid='15063162' dateline='1518287882']
As we discussed in the other thread, the most likely outcome in the near term is that UT and OU will stay where they are. But the thing that every Big 12 program other than OU would be concerned about is UT moving somewhere alone, or with only OU.
quote]

I would not look for UT to ever move somewhere alone and end upon an island.
02-10-2018 04:01 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-10-2018 03:42 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  I get you, I'm not trying to shout down your opinion or anything but you could say that about a lot of schools. I don't think if the Big 12 added SMU that they'd suddenly have a major presence in Dallas. And even if it was decades ago, SMU used to be a much bigger deal in Dallas than TCU ever was in Fort Worth, at least since the Leather Helmet era.

In other words, TCU has peaked and they benefit greatly from being around regional rivals that buy tickets and even season tickets so they can guarantee themselves a seat in their stadium on gameday.

What I perceive is that you have an issue with T.C.U.. T.C.U. averaged 12 thousand more in attendance than Houston, earned 73 million more in revenue, plays in a P5 conference, plays in it competitively in the big 3 sports for men, and because of their positioning isn't a bad pickup particularly for the PAC or ACC, especially if they enhance their facilities and add a medical school.

That's what I perceive.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2018 04:16 PM by JRsec.)
02-10-2018 04:16 PM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-10-2018 03:42 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  I get you, I'm not trying to shout down your opinion or anything but you could say that about a lot of schools. I don't think if the Big 12 added SMU that they'd suddenly have a major presence in Dallas. And even if it was decades ago, SMU used to be a much bigger deal in Dallas than TCU ever was in Fort Worth, at least since the Leather Helmet era.

I have lived and worked in Fort Worth and I can tell you TCU has very few fans outside of Fort Worth and a lot of those fans are fair weather fans. However, there is merit in what JR says about visiting teams benefiting from the local exposure....i.e. recruiting.

Of course exposure can be gained with non-conference scheduling of TCU and SMU, plus neutral game scheduling.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2018 04:21 PM by SMUmustangs.)
02-10-2018 04:16 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-10-2018 04:16 PM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  

I have lived and worked in Fort Worth and I can tell you TCU has virtually zero fans outside of Fort Worth and a lot of those fans are fair weather fans. However, there is merit in what JR says about visiting teams benefiting from the local exposure....i.e. recruiting.

Of course that exposure can be gained with non-conference scheduling of TCU and SMU, plus neutral game scheduling.

IMO, the Big 12 taking them in was a defensive move after the loss of A&M. The Big 12 felt it needed to secure DFW and bringing the rest of the Big 12 there to play was the way to do it. Their addition made more sense than W.V.U.'s. I'm happy for the Eers that they found their way into the P5 but the outlier price of admittance is a major issue for both the Big 12 and West Virginia.
02-10-2018 04:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.