Over Signing in College Football
02-09-2018 07:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brindlee2015 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WMU
RE: Over Signing in College Football
(02-09-2018 07:00 AM)okgc Wrote:  https://www.researchgate.net/publication...s_It_Occur

Over-signing is, in my opinion, a lazy, and spurious, way to ensure that a recruiting class is filled. Good coaches do their homework, know who is eligible, who's on the cusp, who's a definite stretch, and offer accordingly. Signing several additional players and hoping that at least one will be eligible is a crappy thing to do.
02-09-2018 08:53 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Over-signing is smart (and arguably strategic). Doesn't matter how good of a coach you are and how much homework you do, things are ultimately going to happen with 18-year old's that are completely out of a coaches control. To not over-sign in today's climate almost feels irresponsible.
02-09-2018 08:56 AM
Brindlee2015 Offline
2nd String

(02-09-2018 08:56 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  Over-signing is smart (and arguably strategic). Doesn't matter how good of a coach you are and how much homework you do, things are ultimately going to happen with 18-year old's that are completely out of a coaches control. To not over-sign in today's climate almost feels irresponsible.

Not from player/parent perspective.
02-09-2018 08:58 AM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Ga 26
Ohio St 26
Texas 27
ND 27
UCLA 28
Va Tech 26
Minn 26
Mizzou 26
Wazzou 26
Indiana 26
USF 26
Toledo 26
Marshall 30
Temple 28
WKU 26
Nevada 28
Ga St 27
Hawaii 28
Navy 37
Army 32
AFA 28

Yes, Service Academies are not bound to the 25 limit.
02-09-2018 08:59 AM
Brindlee2015 Offline
2nd String

(02-09-2018 08:59 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Ga 26
Ohio St 26
Texas 27
ND 27
UCLA 28
Va Tech 26
Minn 26
Mizzou 26
Wazzou 26
Indiana 26
USF 26
Toledo 26
Marshall 30
Temple 28
WKU 26
Nevada 28
Ga St 27
Hawaii 28
Navy 37
Army 32
AFA 28

Would you know if Ivy League schools are bound to the 25 player limit per signing period?
02-09-2018 09:07 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(02-09-2018 09:07 AM)Brindlee2015 Wrote:  
Ohio St 26
Texas 27
ND 27
UCLA 28
Va Tech 26
Minn 26
Mizzou 26
Wazzou 26
Indiana 26
USF 26
Toledo 26
Marshall 30
Temple 28
WKU 26
Nevada 28
Ga St 27
Hawaii 28
Navy 37
Army 32
AFA 28

Would you know if Ivy League schools are bound to the 25 player limit per signing period?

No athletic schollies. Believe they can admit up to 30/yr on average.
02-09-2018 09:32 AM
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
Ohio St 26
Texas 27
ND 27
UCLA 28
Va Tech 26
Minn 26
Mizzou 26
Wazzou 26
Indiana 26
USF 26
Toledo 26
Marshall 30
Temple 28
WKU 26
Nevada 28
Ga St 27
Hawaii 28
Navy 37
Army 32
AFA 28

True. The academies are very different on a few front. Some are advantages, some disadvantages. For schools with a total student enrollment of about 4200-4400, a huge percentage of the student body are actually on either D1 sports teams or highly competitive "club" sports. Many, however, come in as recruited athletes, but drop out of that sport after a year or two, either because they are not doing well enough on the team, or simply can not keep up with the academic and other requirements that the academies require. This is true even with the D1 athletes receiving "Authos", which is special treatment allowing them to get out of many otherwise mandatory requirements and duties which other Cadets or Mids are compelled to do, like drilling, some military training and crap jobs. Therefore, although the academies have literally an unlimited number of "scholarships" to offer, attrition is huge. Additionally, "scholarships" at academies is a bit of a misnomer. Everyone who attends an academy has everything paid for in full until they graduate, and even receives a salary for attending. They then have a five year active duty commitment as a commissioned officer. So, the athletes all have "full ride scholarships", but it is exactly the same as everyone else who attends the school.

The academies for ages struggled to compete against top tier programs in football, but, for better or worse, have in recent years compromised the standards for the high profile sports athletes; particularly in terms of admissions. While many of the athletes would be admitted by any standard, and are incredibly gifted students as well as athletes, the overall admissions numbers for athletes is well below the standards for non-athletes. not coincidentally, the football programs are getting increasingly more competitive on the field. Having said that, I give a ton of credit to those athletes, most of whom could get scholarships at regular schools, but who commit to serve.

I know; too much info, and a bit off topic. But a subject near and dear to my heart, so there you have it. LOL.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 10:16 AM by brovol.)
02-09-2018 10:14 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(02-09-2018 10:14 AM)brovol Wrote:  
Ohio St 26
Texas 27
ND 27
UCLA 28
Va Tech 26
Minn 26
Mizzou 26
Wazzou 26
Indiana 26
USF 26
Toledo 26
Marshall 30
Temple 28
WKU 26
Nevada 28
Ga St 27
Hawaii 28
Navy 37
Army 32
AFA 28

True. The academies are very different on a few front. Some are advantages, some disadvantages. For schools with a total student enrollment of about 4200-4400, a huge percentage of the student body are actually on either D1 sports teams or highly competitive "club" sports. Many, however, come in as recruited athletes, but drop out of that sport after a year or two, either because they are not doing well enough on the team, or simply can not keep up with the academic and other requirements that the academies require. This is true even with the D1 athletes receiving "Authos", which is special treatment allowing them to get out of many otherwise mandatory requirements and duties which other Cadets or Mids are compelled to do, like drilling, some military training and crap jobs. Therefore, although the academies have literally an unlimited number of "scholarships" to offer, attrition is huge. Additionally, "scholarships" at academies is a bit of a misnomer. Everyone who attends an academy has everything paid for in full until they graduate, and even receives a salary for attending. They then have a five year active duty commitment as a commissioned officer. So, the athletes all have "full ride scholarships", but it is exactly the same as everyone else who attends the school.

The academies for ages struggled to compete against top tier programs in football, but, for better or worse, have in recent years compromised the standards for the high profile sports athletes; particularly in terms of admissions. While many of the athletes would be admitted by any standard, and are incredibly gifted students as well as athletes, the overall admissions numbers for athletes is well below the standards for non-athletes. not coincidentally, the football programs are getting increasingly more competitive on the field. Having said that, I give a ton of credit to those athletes, most of whom could get scholarships at regular schools, but who commit to serve.

I know; too much info, and a bit off topic. But a subject near and dear to my heart, so there you have it. LOL.

04-bow04-bow04-bow
02-09-2018 10:27 AM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

(02-09-2018 08:58 AM)Brindlee2015 Wrote:  Not from player/parent perspective.

Agree 100%. Especially with two national signing dates. Another thing that gets me is these kids on NSD sticking 3-4 hats out there and pulling one for a commitment. What a total disrespect to a coach who wasted several months selling them on their schools. These 17 year old kids are clueless what it takes to build a program yet ESPN gives them air time. Hopefully, those days are about done. I see the Feb NSD going away soon.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 11:34 AM by BuickBronco.)
02-09-2018 11:32 AM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

In recruiting, it goes both ways.

How many times on this board have we talked about a particular (signed) recruiting class and how many of those kids actually made it to campus?

Hell... I'm immediately catching 9 players from our 2014 class that never played a down here. It's a numbers game. And if you put all your eggs in one basket, well... you know what the end result is going to be.

I get it from a parents perspective, but a D1 coach is never going to see it the same way. Nor should they.
02-09-2018 12:13 PM
orange_in_VA Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Syracuse
(02-09-2018 08:53 AM)Brindlee2015 Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 07:00 AM)okgc Wrote:  https://www.researchgate.net/publication...s_It_Occur

Over-signing is, in my opinion, a lazy, and spurious, way to ensure that a recruiting class is filled. Good coaches do their homework, know who is eligible, who's on the cusp, who's a definite stretch, and offer accordingly. Signing several additional players and hoping that at least one will be eligible is a crappy thing to do.

Coaches can't do that anymore. New rules dictate that if you sign a kid and he isn't eligible, you lose the scholarship from your 85. A lot of the kids that aren't signed during the early signing period is due to academic risk. Coaches can't risk it anymore, so they wait it out to see if kids qualify before February.
02-09-2018 01:59 PM
Brindlee2015 Offline
2nd String

(02-09-2018 01:59 PM)orange_in_VA Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 08:53 AM)Brindlee2015 Wrote:  

Coaches can't do that anymore. New rules dictate that if you sign a kid and he isn't eligible, you lose the scholarship from your 85. A lot of the kids that aren't signed during the early signing period is due to academic risk. Coaches can't risk it anymore, so they wait it out to see if kids qualify before February.

Ah. Good. I like that rule.
02-09-2018 04:07 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Explains the gaggle of unsigned Chips.
02-09-2018 06:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.