Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

End of Year Awards
Bookmark and Share
metsox Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Drexel
End of Year Awards
Still a third of the season to go, but figured this could turn into a catch all thread as we see the last few games and then we can have some folks nominate some folks on here. I'm starting by stating a player on the worst defensive team in the league should be the defensive player of the year, so no nomination is too crazy. And I have stats!

http://alwaysadragon.com/austin-williams...ayer-year/
02-07-2018 01:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

RE: End of Year Awards
I think Isabelle will make 2nd team. I think the team success will keep him from being truly considered for POY. I think he is a long shot for it. If we keep winning games he could start to build a path towards it.
02-08-2018 09:28 AM
Water Boy Offline
2nd String

I doubt the people who vote on end-of-year awards would ever look at something like this (although perhaps they should). I compiled these stats from conference games only for the top players (In retrospect, I should have probably included Eli Pemperton). They are based on what players did in the last 5 minutes and overtime of close game (<10 point margin). The averages were then projected to 40 minutes.

[img][Image: CaaClutch.jpg][/img]

Wright-Foreman, Isabell, and Zane Martin head the list of scoring with the gap to others being more stretched out compared to full game scoring. Wright-Foreman's shooting percentages are quite remarkable. Much as I would like to see it be Isabell, Wright-Foreman is probably deserving of POY, Isabell has better stats in non-scoring categories but Wright-Foreman's efficiency in scoring and his team's overall performance probably push him over the top.

I kept track of if assists were for 2 point or 3 point baskets so you can see how many points a guy assisted on. This is a big part of the impact of guys like Pusica, Cohn, and Talley.

Some other surprising things in here:
Joe Chealey's field goal percentage especially from 2pt. He shoots a lot of free throws and threes though and not surprisingly is one of the better scorers when the game is on the line. He also doesn't turn the ball over much.

Devonte Cacok's lack of impact, especially scoring-wise. He is still among the best rebounders trailing just Justin Pierce, but even there the rate really isn't increased compared to full games. Part of this is due to foul trouble and fouling out and poor free throw shooting but it also points to guard dominance in clutch time and specifically Cacok's inability to create his own shots. His field goal percentage is strikingly bad, especially for him. Nathan Knight is also down on the list but Jarrell Brantley shows that a big guy can produce down the stretch in part due to his ability to hit the 3.
02-28-2018 01:50 PM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

Isabell has been incredible, but Wright-Foreman has been just as good. Hard to not give it to the guy especially since his team finished 3rd
03-01-2018 11:36 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
A Hofstra fan said he heard Pusica won POY. That table shows that Wright-Foreman averages fewer assists at the end that he does overall, but that's fine if he isn't getting assists because he's making shots. His scoring, field goal shooting, and rebounding in the table are much better than Pusica, and his free throw shooting is a little better. Wright-Foreman is good at rebounding in that table. He's ahead of Chealey, Lewis, and Knight, all of whom average more rebounds that Wright-Foreman overall. Pusica has a high turnover rate in that table.

Seibring shoots free throws much better in that table at .917 than overall at .700.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2018 09:44 AM by EvanJ.)
03-02-2018 09:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Wright-Foreman got the PoY; that's what I thought I read at least.
03-02-2018 02:54 PM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

We had Maine on the Second Team All-CAA and Stretch on the All-Defensive Team: http://www.caasports.com/news/2018/3/1/m...-team.aspx

Arguments can definitely be made that both deserved somewhat better (First Team and DPOY, respectively), but when you have a 6-12 conference record, it's tough for voters to dive into extensive research or give you much benefit of the doubt.
03-02-2018 03:31 PM
Advertisement

EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Hofstra provided the point amounts. For the CAA teams:

Isabell was seventh with 330 points. Knight led the Second Team with 347, and Cacok was last on the First Team with 443. 26 players got points, with you having the bottom 2. Williams got 2 points and Lee got 1 point. I think Demir is better than Lee. Drexel's sum of 333 points ranked seventh and was the top among the teams playing today. Charleston led by far with 1,206 points followed by Hofstra with 738. The mean was 480.

For Defensive Player and Team:

Occeus won Defensive Player with 18 out of 40 votes. Williams got 12, Cacok got 9, and Gustys got 1. The top three points for Defensive Team were in the same order as the individuals. 26 players got Defensive Team points. Mojica was tied for 18th with 3 and Isabell was tied for 23rd with 1.

For Sixth Man:

Harper was third with 4 votes.

For Coach:

Spiker was fourth with 1 vote.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2018 04:02 PM by EvanJ.)
03-03-2018 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Water Boy Offline
2nd String

I'm an Isabell fan, but I would suggest that whoever voted him as one of the top 5 defensive players in the league should have their voted taken away next year.
03-05-2018 04:58 PM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

(03-05-2018 04:58 PM)Water Boy Wrote:  I'm an Isabell fan, but I would suggest that whoever voted him as one of the top 5 defensive players in the league should have their voted taken away next year.
Probably the same person who thought Damion Lee deserved to be on the all defensive team

Sent from my XT1080 using CSNbbs mobile app
03-05-2018 08:47 PM
Water Boy Offline
2nd String

Damion actually got voted to the team didn't he? I believe from his steals numbers.
03-05-2018 10:16 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(03-05-2018 10:16 PM)Water Boy Wrote:  Damion actually got voted to the team didn't he? I believe from his steals numbers.
He did. Still was a bad defender. Talk about lost trying to cover people.

Sent from my XT1080 using CSNbbs mobile app
03-05-2018 10:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.