RE: BBJ: Answering key questions on BJCC stadium as big meeting looms
So what does the article say?
02-05-2018 08:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
(02-05-2018 08:38 PM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  So what does the article say?

In Birmingham's decades-long debate over building a new football facility, Tuesday is shaping up as a critical day.

Nearly a week after Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin recommended the city commit $90 million to a project that would include a stadium and major upgrades at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex, the Birmingham City Council on Tuesday is scheduled to discuss the project.

According to the meeting agenda, the council – which holds the purse strings on the project – is scheduled to consider a resolution on the project.

Here are some answers to key questions regarding the meeting:

What specifically will the council be considering at Tuesday's meeting? While Woodfin specifically recommended the council commit $3 million per year over 30 years (for a total of $90 million), those figures don't show up on the agenda for the meeting.

Here's what the agenda says:

"A Resolution of Intent to make efforts to financially support the construction of a new multi-purpose facility on property owned and operated by the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex, following the satisfaction of certain conditions."

Based on the questions from last week's Committee of the Whole meeting, those conditions could involve the future of Legion Field, assurances of minority participation in contracts or many other possibilities.

What is the current financial picture for the project? Birmingham is just one of several entities being asked to play a role in funding the project.

Here's a look at the picture so far:

The BJCC Authority - $10.7 million annual debt service

Jefferson County - $1 million for 30 years

The City of Birmingham - $3 million for 30 years

UAB and corporate partners - $4 million for 10 years

Car rental tax - $3.5 million for 30 years (projected)

While the Jefferson County Commission has already made its commitment, other pieces of the financial picture are still coming into focus as the Birmingham City Council weighs its options.

The Alabama Legislature will need to take action to make the car rental tax an option. The tax was previously passed and just needs to be amended to take effect, but there are no givens in Montgomery – especially in an election year. At least one lawmaker has already spoken out against the measure.

UAB and the corporate community are expected to play a big role in the naming rights sponsorship for the stadium.

The city of Birmingham has made it clear that it won't fund the project alone. So far, a number of other entities are aligning to chip in.

Will that be enough to get the Birmingham City Council to move forward? We might find out on Tuesday.

For his part, Woodfin said he believes the city's share is fair based on its expected returns.

What's at stake for Birmingham? Woodfin laid out his case for the project last week, noting that Birmingham needs more incoming tax revenue to fund his administration's priorities, including spreading development to all 99 neighborhoods.

He said elevating Birmingham's place in the sports and events world by upgrading its facilities is one way to generate more revenue.

Projections at the meeting cited an expected $9.9 million annually.

Woodfin also said additional revenue generated by the project will go toward funding neighborhood revitalization across the city.

Experts have told the BBJ that Birmingham does miss out on events due to the status of its facilities. The industry and expectations have evolved, and Birmingham has not kept up – both in terms of Legion Field and the BJCC itself.

Snider and Woodfin both made a case for how the project – the new stadium and upgrades to Legacy Arena and around the BJCC – would make Birmingham more competitive.

What would a new stadium mean for the future of Legion Field? This is one of the central questions for the Birmingham City Council, and there are a number of factors at play.

For one, the city owns and operates Legion Field. The BJCC would own and operate the new stadium. At previous meetings, councilors have questioned what the new stadium would mean for employees of those entities and how it would change the dynamic of the community surrounding Legion Field.

Woodfin has made it clear on multiple occasions that investing in the future of Legion Field and a new stadium aren't mutually exclusive options. He noted the city's financial support of both Regions Field and its recent decision to fund maintenance needs at Rickwood Field as an example.

At last week's meeting, he also said he was fully committed to developing a strategy for the future of Legion Field and the surrounding community.

Who will play in the stadium? UAB has committed to being a tenant in the facility. Based on comments at last week's meeting regarding discussion with ESPN, all signs point to the Birmingham Bowl also being played there.

The Magic City Classic – one of Birmingham's most marquee and highest-attended events – is an option, but questions and comments from council members last week implied there are some hopes the game could be played at Legion Field.

Additionally, having a new stadium would open up the BJCC for outdoor concerts and other sporting events. Snider has previously told the BBJ that a new stadium would allow Birmingham to chase the type of neutral-site college football games Atlanta, Dallas and other metros have successfully hosted.

Beyond those, there are several other options. Snider mentioned the goal would be to maximize use of the facility – instead of just playing 10 or so football games per year. The stadium could also include indoor event space that could host events year round, similar to what you see at Regions Field.

If the BJCC stadium project moves forward, what will the parking situation be? BJCC Executive Director and CEO Tad Snider said last week that the former headquarters of the Birmingham Salvation Army will be demolished to make way for new parking for a stadium. As we've reported, the BJCC has been acquiring property in the surrounding areas for years that create several possibilities.
02-05-2018 08:45 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
Who is the nimrod legislator who is already against the rental tax?

We need to make this person our special project.....
02-05-2018 09:13 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(02-05-2018 09:13 PM)biglizard Wrote:  Who is the nimrod legislator who is already against the rental tax?

John Rogers, but nobody takes him seriously.
02-05-2018 10:03 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(02-05-2018 10:03 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 09:13 PM)biglizard Wrote:  Who is the nimrod legislator who is already against the rental tax?

Surely, he doesn't have the ability to derail this right? I do know he can force the whole legislature to vote on it instead of just the county delegation.
02-05-2018 11:09 PM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-05-2018 11:09 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 10:03 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  

Surely, he doesn't have the ability to derail this right? I do know he can force the whole legislature to vote on it instead of just the county delegation.

I think if he had a couple of followers in the county delegation to go with him, maybe. I think the convention is if the delegation isn't basically united the whole legislature won't push it? I don't know, it's mostly just gentlemen's agreements on that kind of stuff. I doubt anyone down there likes him, they could just steamroll him. Maybe he could filibuster it or the budget (the budget has to pass before other legislation), but I think they'd lock him in the basement if he tried that
02-06-2018 07:26 AM
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

Get it done! Break ground! Generate revenue! Hit the big "GO" button. This is great news.
02-06-2018 07:51 AM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I have a feeling this deal is done. There are too many entities involved and committed at this point for the project not to move forward. The money is there, the plan is there... just a couple more hurdles to clear.
02-06-2018 09:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(02-06-2018 09:18 AM)UABslant Wrote:  I have a feeling this deal is done. There are too many entities involved and committed at this point for the project not to move forward. The money is there, the plan is there... just a couple more hurdles to clear.

What time is the City Council meeting today?
02-06-2018 09:55 AM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

(02-06-2018 09:55 AM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  
(02-06-2018 09:18 AM)UABslant Wrote:  I have a feeling this deal is done. There are too many entities involved and committed at this point for the project not to move forward. The money is there, the plan is there... just a couple more hurdles to clear.

What time is the City Council meeting today?

Live Streaming...
https://twitter.com/citycouncilbham/stat...8788897793

9:30
BlazinBham @BlazinBham
Item 38 on the agenda. Stadium/legacy Arena funding
[Image: DVXIoY-VoAAGtPE.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 10:17 AM by WesternBlazer.)
02-06-2018 10:04 AM
Advertisement

TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

Right this very minute!
02-06-2018 10:29 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Three residents so far have spoken against the stadium and one business owner has spoken in favor of it.
02-06-2018 10:55 AM
legalblazer Offline
1st String

Where do the residents that spoke against it live?

Near Legion, North Birmingham, or just in the city limits?
02-06-2018 11:32 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I heard Ensley, Titusville, West End, and Wahouma.
02-06-2018 11:35 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Councilors Hoyt, Roberson, O'Quinn, Williams, and Hillard have voiced support. Scales seems like a no.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 11:49 AM by hooverblazer.)
02-06-2018 11:39 AM
Advertisement

BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(02-06-2018 11:39 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Councilors Hoyt, Roberson, O'Quinn, Williams, and Hillard have voiced support. Scales seems like a no.

Everyone is her district should be forced to eat a $hit sandwich every day she is in office.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/06/birm...hun_2.html

She is destined to be Governor one day. Honestly, how do you re-elect her after she gets caught stealing from the district ?

Sorry Blazertalk, I know I've ranted against her before.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 12:02 PM by BlazerPhil.)
02-06-2018 11:58 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

the amount of hem hawing and saying they are taking a tough decision and stressing this is just a resolution of intent and not a final contract does not leave me with warm and fuzzy feelings
02-06-2018 12:00 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

The resolution passes
02-06-2018 12:04 PM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

02-06-2018 12:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.