Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Calgary Flames relocating?
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Calgary Flames relocating?
It looks like Calgary won’t be replacing the Saddledome, so could the Flames be moving?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calga...-1.4406716

The Flames played in Atlanta from 1972-1980.
02-02-2018 09:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: Calgary Flames relocating?
I don't understand the article.... Are the Flames relocating if a new arena isn't built? Are they relocating regardless? I mean the tone of the article is like they they are done in Calgary and Calgary, the city, will have to figure out what to do with the arena. I never remember their original Atlanta days but I do remember watching the '88 Winter Olympics.

Would they be a prime candidate for Seattle? Or does Seattle get its own team and the Flames move onto another city being either Canadian or US?
02-03-2018 12:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(02-02-2018 09:37 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  It looks like Calgary won’t be replacing the Saddledome, so could the Flames be moving?

The NHL will use Houston as leverage for building a new Calgary arena. That is what Tillman Fertitta has to deal with for getting in.

The Saddle Dome replaced a much smaller municipal rink when the Flames first moved from Atlanta.
02-03-2018 10:18 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(02-03-2018 12:55 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Would they be a prime candidate for Seattle? Or does Seattle get its own team and the Flames move onto another city being either Canadian or US?
I found a SportsCentre (the TSN version with Jay and Dan) video from September where Calgary Flames ownership announced it gave up on pursuing a new arena in Calgary the day Seattle was originally supposed to announce plans to make KeyArena NHL-ready by 2020 (skip to 11:10):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLUMvtM2uDM&app=desktop
02-03-2018 11:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(02-03-2018 10:18 AM)NoDak Wrote:  
(02-02-2018 09:37 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  It looks like Calgary won’t be replacing the Saddledome, so could the Flames be moving?

The NHL will use Houston as leverage for building a new Calgary arena. That is what Tillman Fertitta has to deal with for getting in.

The Saddle Dome replaced a much smaller municipal rink when the Flames first moved from Atlanta.

What's funny is that the Oilers were supposed to be the Alberta franchise to move down here, not the Flames. They were supposed to do it right after the football Oilers left.
02-03-2018 12:13 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
The NHL isn't going to let that team move to Seattle, because if it did, Seattle wouldn't have to pay the NHL $650 million for an expansion franchise. That $650 million is more than $20 million for each NHL owner.
02-03-2018 01:57 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I can't see an NHL team moving to the US unless they moved to a Frost Belt city. And how many of those are unspoken for? Even Metro New York has three NHL franchises. Maybe Hartford gets another go round or Providence if they are interested. Would Grand Rrapids be interested? Indianapolis can barely support two, let alone three teams. Milwaukee or Ohio's Big 2 might be the best bet.

Hopefully the Flames wind up in Quebec or Hamilton.
02-03-2018 03:26 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

And that's a Canadian NHL team moving south.
02-03-2018 03:32 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
I'd hate to see Calgary lose the Flames so I hope they are able to find a way to stay.

Cities that are "begging" to get back into the NHL likely won't get a relocated team. Think: Seattle and Quebec. They'll pay for one.

I'd say consider relocation to either Houston TX (Aeros), Hartford CT (Whalers), Hamilton ON (Tigers), Cleveland OH (Barons), Kansas City MO (Scouts), Montreal QC (Maroons) or Toronto ON (St. Patricks).

If they add all 9 of the above without any relocations they could do 4 conferences of 10.

Gretzky / Pacific: Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks, Seattle Kraken, San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks, Vegas Golden Knights, Arizona Coyotes, Colorado Avalanche

Howe / Central: Detroit Red Wings, Cleveland Barons, Columbus Blue Jackets, Winnipeg Jets, Minnesota Wild, Chicago Blackhawks, St. Louis Blues, Kansas City Scouts, Dallas Stars, Houston Aeros

Orr / Northeast: Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Buffalo Sabres, Hamilton Tigers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto St. Patricks, Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Maroons, Ottawa Senators, Quebec Nordiques

Lemieux / Atlantic: Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Islanders, New Jersey Devils, Hartford Whalers, Washington Capitals, Carolina Hurricanes, Nashville Predators, Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning
02-03-2018 05:21 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
What are the chances Baltimore could handle another franchise? All they have is NFL and MLB...
02-03-2018 05:46 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

It'd have to be an NBA franchise imo.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2018 04:02 PM by C2__.)
02-03-2018 05:49 PM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(02-03-2018 05:21 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I'd hate to see Calgary lose the Flames so I hope they are able to find a way to stay.

Cities that are "begging" to get back into the NHL likely won't get a relocated team. Think: Seattle and Quebec. They'll pay for one.

I'd say consider relocation to either Houston TX (Aeros), Hartford CT (Whalers), Hamilton ON (Tigers), Cleveland OH (Barons), Kansas City MO (Scouts), Montreal QC (Maroons) or Toronto ON (St. Patricks).

If they add all 9 of the above without any relocations they could do 4 conferences of 10.

Gretzky / Pacific: Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks, Seattle Kraken, San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks, Vegas Golden Knights, Arizona Coyotes, Colorado Avalanche

Howe / Central: Detroit Red Wings, Cleveland Barons, Columbus Blue Jackets, Winnipeg Jets, Minnesota Wild, Chicago Blackhawks, St. Louis Blues, Kansas City Scouts, Dallas Stars, Houston Aeros

Orr / Northeast: Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Buffalo Sabres, Hamilton Tigers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto St. Patricks, Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Maroons, Ottawa Senators, Quebec Nordiques

Lemieux / Atlantic: Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Islanders, New Jersey Devils, Hartford Whalers, Washington Capitals, Carolina Hurricanes, Nashville Predators, Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning

There is no way the Leafs are letting another team get anyway close to the Toronto MSA. Even Hamilton is too close IMO.
02-04-2018 07:21 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Hamilton's problem is its proximity to Buffalo and Toronto.
02-04-2018 04:03 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(02-04-2018 04:03 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Hamilton's problem is its proximity to Buffalo and Toronto.

From a geography POV I’d agree; but do the Sabers have that much penetration in the Golden Horseshoe Area?
02-04-2018 07:00 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Their owner doesn't really care, he doesn't wanna lose any money to any team because Buffalo is a small market.
02-04-2018 08:19 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(02-04-2018 07:00 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(02-04-2018 04:03 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Hamilton's problem is its proximity to Buffalo and Toronto.

From a geography POV I’d agree; but do the Sabers have that much penetration in the Golden Horseshoe Area?

Seen some numbers that it is a minimum is at least 15%.

The Kitchener-Waterloo area would seem to be a better choice for the NHL. A high speed rail will be coming in from Toronto-Mississauga and that region has plenty of high tech jobs, like Raleigh and Austin, while being further away from Buffalo and Hamilton. That region has more potential stability than Quebec City. But a Mississauga team would essentially give Toronto two teams as the Toronto urban area now has such massive numbers.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2018 10:42 PM by NoDak.)
02-04-2018 10:41 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

It might as well be in Toronto, Mississauga is a glorified suburb. It's like Long Beach or Hempstead. I'd almost even compare it to San Jose.
02-05-2018 12:21 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(02-05-2018 12:21 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  It might as well be in Toronto, Mississauga is a glorified suburb. It's like Long Beach or Hempstead. I'd almost even compare it to San Jose.

Or like Anaheim and the Ducks, the Devils and Jersey, and the Islanders and Nassau County. Toronto has some relatively massive suburbs on the western side like Brampton or Mississauga.

Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge is accessible to Hamilton, London, and western Toronto burbs on a routine basis.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2018 01:43 PM by NoDak.)
02-05-2018 12:42 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Newark is not a suburb, granted neither is a place like San Jose, though if you squint hard enough it looks like one.

How close is that area you mentioned to Detroit?
02-05-2018 02:02 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(02-05-2018 02:02 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  Newark is not a suburb, granted neither is a place like San Jose, though if you squint hard enough it looks like one.

How close is that area you mentioned to Detroit?

Windsor is about an hour. Detroit would be longer with customs.
02-05-2018 07:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.