UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

7 deep or bust
dragonzden Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
7 deep or bust
I think UAB should go 10+ deep the rest of the year. We play ODU tomorrow and let's face it, coach Ehsan is only going to go 7 deep. The eighth and ninth man will probably have a combined 4:30 of playing time. Why not just give these younger players experience for next year because UAB is going to need it.

I don't know. It's frustrating watching this season. Next year looks to be even worse. Who's going to replace Cokely's consistency at scoring and Ha Ha shot blocking.
02-02-2018 06:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: 7 deep or bust
This isn't the pros where you tank the season to get a higher draft choice. You want to tank? Unfreaking believable. We need better fans. The ones we have are broken.
02-02-2018 06:44 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
(02-02-2018 06:44 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  This isn't the pros where you tank the season to get a higher draft choice. You want to tank? Unfreaking believable. We need better fans. The ones we have are broken.

Yeah better fans like you. How is playing 8-10 more tanking? So the top seven should play all the minutes? Some of y'all had a problem with this when Davis was here. The only difference is he didn't green light 5-7 much.

Some see this season is over, outside of us getting hot at tournament time. We still may not be road ready. We should give the future a look just to see where the 13th scholarship should go. But I guess not we're after that fourth seed.
02-02-2018 07:28 PM
Blazer88 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB
That will just make things worse. The other guys just can’t play on this level
02-02-2018 07:36 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-02-2018 07:28 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  
(02-02-2018 06:44 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  This isn't the pros where you tank the season to get a higher draft choice. You want to tank? Unfreaking believable. We need better fans. The ones we have are broken.

Yeah better fans like you. How is playing 8-10 more tanking? So the top seven should play all the minutes? Some of y'all had a problem with this when Davis was here. The only difference is he didn't green light 5-7 much.

Some see this season is over, outside of us getting hot at tournament time. We still may not be road ready. We should give the future a look just to see where the 13th scholarship should go. But I guess not we're after that fourth seed.

He knows that. He's just getting a head start on his troll points this month.
02-02-2018 07:37 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(02-02-2018 07:36 PM)Blazer88 Wrote:  That will just make things worse. The other guys just can’t play on this level

Look I get what you're saying. I don't buy it, because I think a lot of our guys play out of position so it does look so great. For example I really don't think Gueye should guard the wku frontcourt, but maybe let him guard Anderson and the guard who plays who starts in front of Anderson.

At this point HaHa and Coke has a hard time stopping Johnson. Would love to see if Smallwood could draw fouls on their frontcourt, or foul out trying. He's the most passionate Blazer we've had in years. I think he's comparable to Rucker and Holmes.
02-02-2018 07:48 PM
Advertisement

dragonzden Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers

Who said anything about tanking the season? UAB has been playing 7 and losing. Let's try 10 and see what happens.
02-02-2018 07:53 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(02-02-2018 07:53 PM)dragonzden Wrote:  

Who said anything about tanking the season? UAB has been playing 7 and losing. Let's try 10 and see what happens.

You act like we have a losing season. Yes we have lost some games, but it is not a losing season. We have lost one conference game we had no business losing - UTSA. The rest were up for grabs.

We are not "losing" Go look at the record.

The first number is bigger than the second number. The first number represents games in which we score more points than the other time, which is called winning. The second number represents games in which the other team scores more than our team, UAB, scores. This is called losing. Since the Winning number is bigger than the Losing number. it means we are "Winning"

I hope I didn't lose you.
02-02-2018 08:20 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

If Ehsan thinks we need to play 10 to win a game, so be it.
If he thinks we need to play 5 or 7 only, so be it.

The season isn't over.

The team has to be playing its best come conference tournament time.

You don't get there by tossing in the towel.
02-02-2018 08:36 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
I think we will be significantly worse next year unfortunately.

Bryant has been outstanding. What have you seen from Gueye or Hurtado to tell you they are going to be vastly improved or big contributors next year? Same question for Sullivan. Him as our 2nd or 3rd best player is scary. He's not a bad player, but he hasn't improved much. Darling will be a solid role player. We know what we'll get from Norton.
02-03-2018 12:01 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(02-03-2018 12:01 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  I think we will be significantly worse next year unfortunately.

Bryant has been outstanding. What have you seen from Gueye or Hurtado to tell you they are going to be vastly improved or big contributors next year? Same question for Sullivan. Him as our 2nd or 3rd best player is scary. He's not a bad player, but he hasn't improved much. Darling will be a solid role player. We know what we'll get from Norton.

You do realize we have new players coming in. Highly touted players. Bryant and Boyce is going to rule this league. Everyday in practice, Boyce practices against one of the best high school teams in the country, one that would give many college teams a run for their money. There won't be much of a transition period for him just as there wasn't much of one for Zack.

And go compare Darlings numbers this year to last year. If he improves as much next year, he won't be considered a role players.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018 12:11 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
02-03-2018 12:08 AM
Advertisement

Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

I Root For: Blazers
I believe the future look bright...we need to recruit another Bryant type guard...even if it's a graduate....our guards will carry the team during the early portion of next season...but let's win out this season...get a bye...win the turney....go on to 68...
02-03-2018 01:23 AM
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

Seven is not enough. Preparing this team for the grueling conference tournament is number one priority. "Defense" is the key to winning the tournament. Seven guys will not be sufficient to last for three or four days of games. Ehsan must have Gueye prepared to step in every game from here on out to back up Cokley, Lee, and Sullivan, especially on the defensive end of the court. The same goes for Lavender, who will be called upon to back up Bryant, Perry, Norton, and Darling. If he goes only seven deep, expect there to be fatigue and foul trouble. I want this team to win the conference tournament. In eighteen seasons, Gene's teams won a total of three conference tournaments, finished second five seasons, and finished third three seasons. In eighteen seasons, Bartow's Blazer's were in the final game of the conference tournament eight of those eighteen seasons.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018 05:17 AM by TheGORILLA.)
02-03-2018 04:35 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Good grief. We have yet to play a game when we only played 7
Players. Let coach do what he's paid to do..
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018 10:31 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
02-03-2018 07:25 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(02-03-2018 12:01 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  I think we will be significantly worse next year unfortunately.

+1

Everybody knows the tendencies of these seven guys
02-03-2018 10:17 AM
UABfan1 Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(02-02-2018 07:48 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  
(02-02-2018 07:36 PM)Blazer88 Wrote:  That will just make things worse. The other guys just can’t play on this level

Look I get what you're saying. I don't buy it, because I think a lot of our guys play out of position so it does look so great. For example I really don't think Gueye should guard the wku frontcourt, but maybe let him guard Anderson and the guard who plays who starts in front of Anderson.

At this point HaHa and Coke has a hard time stopping Johnson. Would love to see if Smallwood could draw fouls on their frontcourt, or foul out trying. He's the most passionate Blazer we've had in years. I think he's comparable to Rucker and Holmes.

Gueye is not as good as Darling or Perry or Lavender. Not at shooting, driving, dribbling. And not even rebounding. So it makes little sense to play him tonight unless we have to because of foul trouble. Because the other guys are better. At everything. Except maybe standing there with his arms up. He has a higher standing reach.

He clearly does not have what Lee had, a rebounding & blocking ability. So we are left with guys like Kevin Devitt who was not really known for his rebounding or blocking ability to teach him. That and just playing against Lee, Coke, Sully & Thomas in practice.

He is a taller Cam Moore. Except Cam would not have become Cam if Davis didn't force him to learn how to play his position.

Gueye has what you can't teach, he is tall and has long arms & natural athleticism. But NOT natural rebounding or Shot blocking skills. And he very much needs weight. The weight will come and its reasonable to think his skill level will increase.

But, I said the same thing about a 7 footer three years ago and from all indications he hasn't improved.

I'm not against Gueye being on scholarship or playing against teams we are very likely to beat. Or playing when foul trouble dictates which so far this year has not been as often as I feared.

Id like to see him add 10-15 pounds a year and get better at basketball and if he does that, he might be a serviceable player as an upperclassmen. He is not going to be a 6-10 2 guard who shoots 50% from 3.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018 11:35 AM by UABfan1.)
02-03-2018 11:35 AM
Advertisement

UABfan1 Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(02-02-2018 07:53 PM)dragonzden Wrote:  

Playing 10 would have us losing more games by more points.
02-03-2018 11:38 AM
UABfan1 Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(02-03-2018 04:35 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  Seven is not enough. Preparing this team for the grueling conference tournament is number one priority. "Defense" is the key to winning the tournament. Seven guys will not be sufficient to last for three or four days of games. Ehsan must have Gueye prepared to step in every game from here on out to back up Cokley, Lee, and Sullivan, especially on the defensive end of the court. The same goes for Lavender, who will be called upon to back up Bryant, Perry, Norton, and Darling. If he goes only seven deep, expect there to be fatigue and foul trouble. I want this team to win the conference tournament. In eighteen seasons, Gene's teams won a total of three conference tournaments, finished second five seasons, and finished third three seasons. In eighteen seasons, Bartow's Blazer's were in the final game of the conference tournament eight of those eighteen seasons.

We had an issue with our 8th man quitting & coming back from all indications. Otherwise he would have played more and he will play in the rest of our games this year in all likelihood. Because the word is out about Scootie and teams are paying attention to him. And he has been forcing things trying to compensate.

Deon was never as bad as his early minutes this year suggested and he might be able to help a lot more the rest of the year just because teams are not paying attention to him. Or we can let Scootie force things. I prefer he did not.

Gueye can play more minutes but absent foul trouble, he shouldn't. Because Coke and Lee and Sully are much better. You have been watching long enough to know this.

80 minutes divided by 3 is 26.67 minutes each. Or 35,32 and 13. Or however.
So without foul trouble, playing Gueye diminishes our chances of a win. And if you haven't noticed, we are fighting for the 4 seed which I argue we might not get if you play Gueye 10+ minutes per game in close games.
02-03-2018 11:51 AM
UABfan1 Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(02-03-2018 10:17 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  

+1

Everybody knows the tendencies of these seven guys

And that has harmed Scootie the most. Your solution is to play Gueye, Thomas and remove the redshirt from the other kid?

I have to stop feeding you. You're an obvious troll.
02-03-2018 11:55 AM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Some of our fans have short memories when it comes to worrying about winning games next season with a freshmen-heavy team. But we're getting ahead of ourselves.
We have a lot of basketball to play and room for improvement. The good news is this team is capable of beating any team in our league... this team just seems to lack confidence right now. We have the chance to avenge 3 losses in our last 3 games, with Marshall and WKU on our home court to wrap up the regular season.

This team needs our support and encouragement. If we don't want our team to quit, we as fans can't quit on our team.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2018 09:18 AM by UABslant.)
02-05-2018 09:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.