UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Raise for $tansbury
UABfan1 Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Raise for $tansbury
The Western Kentucky board of regents, in an executive committee meeting Friday, approved an addendum to raise the annual salary of men's basketball coach Rick Stansbury.

“The increase in Rick Stansbury’s compensation is through private funds and moves his base salary from the sixth highest in Conference USA to the second highest, an increase he has certainly earned," WKU athletic director Todd Stewart said in a statement. "When Rick was hired on March 27, 2016, WKU basketball faced many daunting challenges. We had a seven player roster, only five were healthy, only three had played during the 2015-16 season and literally none of the seven scholarship players were guards. Our RPI was 158 and our per game home attendance average of 3,672 was our program’s lowest total since 1999.

"The consistent dedication and relentless work ethic Rick has exhibited since the day he was hired has positively impacted every area of our program on and off the court. Today, we are a half-game out of first in Conference USA with an RPI of 45 and our per game home attendance average is at its highest point since 2009. This is an exciting time for our basketball program, and we look forward to another great crowd (Saturday) night for the Marshall game as our players and coaches continue their pursuit of our first regular season conference championship since 2009."

Stansbury, previously making a base salary of $500,000, is now in line to make $650,000 per year. The increase in salary will be raised through private funds, not through the school's athletic budget or the state's budget.

The second-year WKU coach will also now have a buyout of $1 million up from a previous amount of $750,000.

“I’d like to thank the Board, President Caboni and Director of Athletics Todd Stewart for their commitment to me and our basketball program," Stansbury said in a release. "The timing is not ideal, but this is a way for me to show commitment back to the university. My total focus is on this basketball team and putting them in the best position possible to compete for a championship.”

Stansbury, who spent 14 seasons coaching Mississippi State, was hired March 27, 2016. He's led the Hilltoppers to a 29-23 record and the current teams is tied for first place in Conference USA.

Incentives for Stansbury remain the same as they were at the time of his initial hiring: 2.5 percent of his base salary for a conference coach of the year award, 5 percent of his base salary for a national coach of the year award, or Academic Progress Rating of 940 or better and of 970 or better, a regular-season conference championship, a regular-season RPI of 30 or better, an NCAA Tournament appearance and an NCAA Tournament second-round victory; 10 percent of his base salary for NCAA Tournament third and fourth-round wins; 20 percent of his base salary for a fifth-round win; 25 percent of his base salary for a semifinal victory and 30 percent of his base salary for an NCAA championship. Stansbury can also receive a $10,000 bonus for an NIT semifinal win and $20,000 for an NIT championship.

— Follow WBKO sportswriter Chad Bishop on Twitter @MrChadBishop
01-27-2018 01:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Raise for $tansbury
How has he "certainly earned" an increase when he is 29-23.
01-27-2018 01:47 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
Western Kentucky is desperate to go back to the glory days & this cheater is their ticket.
01-27-2018 08:56 AM
KevMo4UAB Online
#FreeUAB

Aren’t these things usually done after the season?
01-27-2018 09:48 AM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

(01-27-2018 09:48 AM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  Aren’t these things usually done after the season?

To you and I, Yes. To them he’s a coach that everybody expects will jump for another program with first bit of success. They’re winning games against ranked noncon teams, 1 game out of 1st, and they’re hosting 5 star recruits in two consecutive sellouts. They believe he’s gonna win the league and they’re trying to lock him down before he gets the call like Haase, imo, did before the season ends. how all that pans out.....
01-27-2018 10:22 AM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-27-2018 08:56 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Western Kentucky is desperate to go back to the glory days & this cheater is their ticket.

I guess it's a good thing that most UAB fans lack that passion for basketball and would never stoop that low.
01-27-2018 10:24 AM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

So, who said UAB fans need to settle down and let Ingram hire who he wants? When we all wanted to keep Ehsan. knowing the players didn’t trust the admin and if we kept Ehsan there’d be stability and the players wouldn’t leave? according to Stansbury, if we let Ingram pick who he wanted he wouldve hired stansbury. he would have been our cheater.
01-27-2018 10:45 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

According to Stansbury??? The word liar can usually be found somewhere after the word cheater
01-27-2018 10:52 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Ingram and Watts picked who they wanted. It was coincidentally who the fans and players wanted. The cheapest option.

One of the reasons some of the fans wanted Ehsan because at the time, they didn't want them spending money on a basketball coach when there were rumors that football was coming back and all funds needed to be diverted to football.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2018 10:56 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
01-27-2018 10:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.