01-22-2018 09:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk Award
RE: South Alabama practice facility construction work set to resume
Quote:"Experts within the industry examined what happened and examined the design, examined the structure and made a small number of adjustments," Erdmann said.

Quote:Erdmann said the USA athletic department is comfortable with the engineer's report, which ruled that the collapse was an "installation error" rather than a design flaw.

Those two statements seem contradictory.
01-22-2018 09:49 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
How building materials fit together and support one another determines the order of construction... just sounds like they had a stability issue during a step in the construction phase and it has been corrected.
01-22-2018 10:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Might seem but they are not. The errors were in the erection and the engineers most likely added some procedures for them to follow so they don't f- it up again. Unfortunately I have seen some things before that required going back and sometime "licking their calf."

MWR was damn lucky it was on a weekend and no one was killed and I have run across them before and they are not very good at all. I don't want to speculate but I would not be surprised if MWR told their erector to skip some things and then came back and threw them under the bus. I just can't see a competent erector leaving out the X bracing and additional cable bracing during erection like I saw.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 09:54 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
01-23-2018 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

wondering if someone's palms got greased to overlook some things during the building of it the first time & during the inspection of it after it fell.
01-23-2018 10:03 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I doubt it’s palms greased. More like cutting corners. I’ve dealt with that bunch before. ;-)
01-23-2018 10:25 AM
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Due to my intimacy with these sorts of things in my job, I won't speculate about what did or didn't happen.

I just thought the words the South Alabama AD used were a bit contradictory to each other based on the article alone. I think it was because of the vagueness of the statements, in particular.

Were the adjustments to the design? If so, then the second statement is contradictory.

If the adjustments weren't to the design itself but rather the execution, then the statements work together. The first statement I quoted wasn't very clear about which it was, though.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 11:16 AM by demiveeman.)
01-23-2018 11:16 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I would expect that USA got some concessions from the builder and/or contractors to allow them to continue and avoid lawsuits...
01-23-2018 11:31 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

One has to wonder if this had happened to UAB what level of involvement would the local media be involved?

Seems like a lot of stuff being kept quiet in the media.

May be that no one cares.
01-23-2018 11:33 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
As Attalla said, having it fall on a weekend was very lucky. No one was killed. If it had been different, I imagine that the coverage would be a lot different.

That quote reads to me as though the design was adequate, but it was not executed properly by the contractor.
01-23-2018 11:53 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-23-2018 11:33 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  One has to wonder if this had happened to UAB what level of involvement would the local media be involved?

Seems like a lot of stuff being kept quiet in the media.

May be that no one cares.

well, it's on al.com, that's the media. it's probably in the news in Mobile, but why would the Birmingham news stations care? If it happened at UAB it probably wouldn't be a big thing in Mobile.
01-23-2018 02:13 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
When this mess at USA is corrected and finished, how will the football facilities of the state's three second tier FBS programs be rated compared to each other?

Now that UAB has its Football Operations Building and new practice fields, what should be seriously considered the next facility upgrade to be added for the FB Program?
01-23-2018 02:18 PM
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
OCS
01-23-2018 03:02 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(01-23-2018 03:02 PM)BlazerFromMD Wrote:  OCS

Right now all UAB stadium "eggs" are in the BJCC stadium "basket", not the OCS. Besides that one, what other serious football facility new additions does UAB need to push for NOW?
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 05:54 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
01-23-2018 05:05 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Track field and Soccer Stadium(per USL monies?) completions. Also, I'm not sold that the pavallion will always be open. I think it will be enclosed on at least 3 sides in coming years. Perhaps that's area of future focus...
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 05:43 PM by WesternBlazer.)
01-23-2018 05:42 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-23-2018 05:05 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 03:02 PM)BlazerFromMD Wrote:  OCS

Right now all UAB stadium "eggs" are in the BJCC stadium "basket", not the OCS. Besides that one, what other serious football facility new additions does UAB need to push for NOW?

Nothing. An on campus stadium is off the table for now, the practice facility is just now finished, and things are moving in the right direction. There doesn't have to be a constant ask for tens of millions of dollars, it's not sustainable
01-23-2018 06:21 PM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Sports Medicine Facility. That i the next major project that has any relation to football.
01-23-2018 06:25 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-23-2018 06:25 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  The Sports Medicine Facility. That i the next major project that has any relation to football.

And the one that needed most. UAB can be THE premier sports medicine university in the US. We already have all the parts we just need a central location and leadership to tie them together.
01-23-2018 10:05 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(01-23-2018 10:05 PM)biglizard Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 06:25 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  The Sports Medicine Facility. That i the next major project that has any relation to football.

And the one that needed most. UAB can be THE premier sports medicine university in the US. We already have all the parts we just need a central location and leadership to tie them together.

Would be awesome. Where is it proposed to be built?
01-23-2018 10:08 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Maybe it ends up where the OCS was supposed to go? IDK The original plan I saw had it connected to the Football facility and then everything was shuffled around to where it is now. Who knows?
01-24-2018 10:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.