Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Loyola
Bookmark and Share
J.B. Offline

I Root For: Drexel
Loyola
So Drexel goes from facing the son of one famous coach to facing the son of another famous coach on Thursday. Loyola is coached by G.G. Smith, son of Tubby Smith. Ironically, after they face Drexel, G.G. and Loyola will be heading to Memphis to face his dad's team on Saturday.

Loyola is 0-8 (technically 1-8) and have lost to some teams in weak conferences. I glanced at their stats and I don't seen any glaring weaknesses in their team statistically. Maybe somebody else has more information as to why they're losing.

For Drexel, the Jekyll and Hyde season continues. I'm concerned that they're facing an 0-8 team on the road. Teams that are 0-8 will do everything possible to not go 0-9, especially since it could mean going 0-10 after facing Memphis.

Drexel hasn't shown me anything yet that tells me that they can travel to another state and pull out a road win against a weaker opponent. This would be the 1 year anniversary of their last true road win outside of Philadelphia. I hope they prove me wrong in their final OOC test before the CAA starts next week.

Loyola 71
Drexel 60
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2017 08:13 AM by J.B..)
12-20-2017 08:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

RE: Loyola
These guys lost to Dartmouth who lost to Quinnipiac by 1. Unfortunately this will be a close game. I am not sure we have the team to win big over anyone, yet alone on the road. This will come down to late FT's. I will go out on a limb and say we connect (and it wont be Stretch at the line).

Drexel- 76
Loyola (Md)- 73
12-20-2017 09:51 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

why are you guys so negative?

just kidding.

i'm hoping to get down there for the game. baltimore is closer to the harrisburg area than philly. i don't know what to expect since i don't know anything about loyola. metsox was right to point out on his blog how little we went into the post on monday. maybe isabell turns the ball over less if he's not feeling the pressure to carry the offense.
12-20-2017 06:41 PM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

Drexel 86-72 Loyola
12-20-2017 08:17 PM
MedicSBK Offline
Bench Warmer

In case you missed it, Dan just broke that Isabell is out tonight with an injury.
12-21-2017 04:51 PM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

I wonder if its a real injury or saving him for a longer break to fully get healthy?
12-21-2017 07:48 PM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

They said it's a back injury. Hopefully a week off will get him right.

I predicted a loss tonight before I heard about Maine's injury. It sucks that they lost to a bad team tonight, but they've played poorly against bad teams all season, so that only says one thing about Drexel.

Focusing on the positive...how about Kurk Lee tonight? Does he love playing in Baltimore? Tonight's game kind of reminded me of the Towson game last year. We may not like some of the things that he does on the court, but he's got to be the toughest Dragon out there. Without Maine on the court, he knew that he had to be the guy tonight, and really made some amazing plays without any rest to keep Drexel in the game.
12-21-2017 08:56 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
You missed shots near the basket at the end and lost 66-62. Although neither of the CAA Weekly Report or Drexel website's knew it, the game was on TV because Stadium shows the Patriot League. Stadium replaced American Sports Network, and it's channel 820 with Fios. Fios's guide said Stadium was showing college football without specifying a game from 7:30 P.M. to 10:00 P.M., but that's not what they showed.
12-21-2017 08:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

just got back from the game...and just in time to see the end of the gasparilla bowl!

there was some kind of altercation after the game when the teams were leaving the floor. i only caught the end of it. our guys were pushing and yelling at some of their guys. my three year old evan was about to fly in from the top rope and finish it but everything settled down.

i'm a fan of lee...but not the "lee vs. the world" offense that we seem to stumble into. we didn't have much choice since williams and demir in particular couldn't finish around the basket to save their lives. we were soft around the basket defensively again too.
12-21-2017 11:14 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Based on our games so far this season we are going to be awesome in CAA play. Beating up on the good teams and losing to the bad ones! This team is impossible to predict.
12-22-2017 07:41 AM
J.B. Offline

(12-21-2017 08:56 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  You missed shots near the basket at the end and lost 66-62. Although neither of the CAA Weekly Report or Drexel website's knew it, the game was on TV because Stadium shows the Patriot League. Stadium replaced American Sports Network, and it's channel 820 with Fios. Fios's guide said Stadium was showing college football without specifying a game from 7:30 P.M. to 10:00 P.M., but that's not what they showed.

Stadium isn't on Xfinity, but I watched the game on the Twitter Channel on Roku. But it was nice that about 12 people all over the country got to watch a nationally televised game of terrible basketball.
12-22-2017 08:01 AM
Advertisement

DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

Watched the game, but just checked the boxscore...
How the hell do you lose a basketball game in which you attempt 20 more shots than the opposition. I guess the answer is by taking those 20 extra shots but still finishing with fewer makes than the opposition. I guess VCUchazz was right back in the day. Game was like letting a group of aliens, newly to Earth, have a gym, a ball, and only telling them that you need to bounce the ball when moving, throw it through the hoop and do it as fast as you can, which is weird because it was actually not a high possession game.

I realize that we are dealing with injuries, but I honestly have no idea what to make of this team now heading into league play. I am starting to grow concerned that this staff doesn't seem to be able to get these guys up for games against the lower rated programs in D1.
12-22-2017 08:20 AM
J.B. Offline

(12-22-2017 08:20 AM)DrachenFire Wrote:  Watched the game, but just checked the boxscore...
How the hell do you lose a basketball game in which you attempt 20 more shots than the opposition. I guess the answer is by taking those 20 extra shots but still finishing with fewer makes than the opposition. I guess VCUchazz was right back in the day. Game was like letting a group of aliens, newly to Earth, have a gym, a ball, and only telling them that you need to bounce the ball when moving, throw it through the hoop and do it as fast as you can, which is weird because it was actually not a high possession game.

I realize that we are dealing with injuries, but I honestly have no idea what to make of this team now heading into league play. I am starting to grow concerned that this staff doesn't seem to be able to get these guys up for games against the lower rated programs in D1.

Totally agree. Loyola is a bad basketball team. You could just tell by some of the plays that they made (or didn't make). A good basketball team would have beaten Drexel by 50 last night. Loyola did everything they could to lose that game last night, but Drexel was also just as pitiful and wouldn't let the other team lose.

Maybe they need to make every game a gold jersey game so that the players learn to stress the importance of ALL games, not just the local games.
12-22-2017 08:51 AM
metsox Offline
Water Engineer

(12-21-2017 08:56 PM)J.B. Wrote:  They said it's a back injury. Hopefully a week off will get him right.

Multiple sources, including Coach Spiker on the record last night, have told me its a groin injury. Day to Day.

As far as the game goes, I question the legitimacy of anyone who watches that game and blames the coaching staff. They outrebounded Loyola, finally took care of the ball, and the shot selection was pretty darn good, including the right players taking the shots. Not sure what more you can ask for from your staff. I'm certainly no apologist for any staff (or anyone, including myself), and I think the lack of getting the ball inside cost the Dragons the Temple game and almost cost them Quinnipiac, but they didn't have that problem at Loyola. Honestly that team was put in a position to win by 20 last night. **** happens.

Troy Harper was dressed again last night and should be back soon. As long as he doesn't start launching 3's all the time, that will help quite a bit.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2017 10:57 AM by metsox.)
12-22-2017 10:52 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

the problem to me is pretty simple: we don't have the players right now to go out and beat up on anybody. they show us flashes of being good...but just aren't quite where we can count on them night in/night out for anything in particular. I don't mean to rip on the kids (even though I am) and look at this as a great opportunity to see what this coaching staff is made of.

Can they get lee to settle down and play within himself? Can Kararinas be counted on (he hit a 3 and set some mean screens last night)? Can demir finish around the basket or get some of his three point shots to fall? He ran the floor really smooth last night except he missed the layup.

I'd like to see more of doles just to see what he can do.
12-22-2017 12:58 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

The inconsistencies is what is driving me crazy. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why we are so sporadic in our play. We knew heading into the year we were not a good team, but we keep seeing flashes that keep giving us promise they are turning the corner. We obviously have not turned any corner yet, but there is definitely talent here. It is just inconsistent talent. Hopefully we can start to find what our equilibrium is. It has got to be maddening to the players to be so up and down as well.
12-22-2017 01:04 PM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

(12-22-2017 10:52 AM)metsox Wrote:  
(12-21-2017 08:56 PM)J.B. Wrote:  They said it's a back injury. Hopefully a week off will get him right.

Multiple sources, including Coach Spiker on the record last night, have told me its a groin injury. Day to Day.

Thanks for clearing that up. My "source" was the Loyola announcers, so I'll trust your report. Either way, hoping it's not that big of a deal and he'll be back next week.
12-22-2017 01:21 PM
J.B. Offline

I have no control of what people post, but my strong recommendation is to just ignore the comments above.
12-22-2017 02:20 PM
metsox Offline
Water Engineer

I think that bmf is a troll looking to stir the pot and should be ignored and also that this is the incorrect place. But there should be lots of strong opinions on this:

"What is the strategy to improve facilities, TV exposure?"

Someone should start the thread. The turnout this year is beyond pathetic at the DAC. Doubling ticket prices when we started renovations was an absolute joke move. Staff isn't growing the base, so we'll tax what diehards we have to make the income rise?
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2017 02:34 PM by metsox.)
12-22-2017 02:33 PM
DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

(12-22-2017 10:52 AM)metsox Wrote:  As far as the game goes, I question the legitimacy of anyone who watches that game and blames the coaching staff. They outrebounded Loyola, finally took care of the ball, and the shot selection was pretty darn good, including the right players taking the shots. Not sure what more you can ask for from your staff. I'm certainly no apologist for any staff (or anyone, including myself), and I think the lack of getting the ball inside cost the Dragons the Temple game and almost cost them Quinnipiac, but they didn't have that problem at Loyola. Honestly that team was put in a position to win by 20 last night. **** happens.

Troy Harper was dressed again last night and should be back soon. As long as he doesn't start launching 3's all the time, that will help quite a bit.

There has to be a disconnect somewhere then, because this team preforms better against teams ranked better than them then they do against teams ranked worse.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
***I may edit this after I get around to reading your email that I forgot you sent out***

(12-22-2017 02:33 PM)metsox Wrote:  I think that bmf is a troll looking to stir the pot and should be ignored and also that this is the incorrect place. But there should be lots of strong opinions on this:

"What is the strategy to improve facilities, TV exposure?"

Someone should start the thread. The turnout this year is beyond pathetic at the DAC. Doubling ticket prices when we started renovations was an absolute joke move. Staff isn't growing the base, so we'll tax what diehards we have to make the income rise?

Bru's last season was the best year the men's program has had financially for as far back as I can find records (2000-01). They've netted around $310k on revenues pushing $3 million. I'll be interested in seeing what Spiker's first year looks like when the numbers become available.

I posted something back on the Zone about how success could be built using the fire pyramid and fire tetrahedron as metaphors, I'll have to dig around and see if I can refind the graphics I made. We actually shared some lamentations on the Slack channel during the game last night. Needless to say, after seeming so tantalizingly close, we're back to ground zero, which is unbelievably sad.
12-22-2017 04:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.