Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CAA Football
Bookmark and Share
bostonspider Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Richmond
CAA Football
So I briefly chatted with our (Richmond's) President last night, and one thing I found interesting is that UR is looking into the possibility that sometime in the future we might not be in the CAA. I gathered the consensus there is that JMU will eventually find a way to move up to FBS, and UR will work with VU and especially W&M on whatever our football future might be. But I am not sure a steady diet of Stony Brook, Albany, NH, Towson and URI is what our future will include. I have a feeling that UD is also looking to jump with JMU if they can. A CAA without UD and JMU might not be so appealing to Richmond. I wonder what the feelings are in Williamsburg?
[Image: 49d625b52e0c219c7266fd8b806d32f1.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2018 07:59 PM by Tribal.)
12-01-2017 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LeadBolt Online
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: CAA Football
(12-01-2017 01:52 PM)bostonspider Wrote:  So I briefly chatted with our (Richmond's) President last night, and one thing I found interesting is that UR is looking into the possibility that sometime in the future we might not be in the CAA. I gathered the consensus there is that JMU will eventually find a way to move up to FBS, and UR will work with VU and especially W&M on whatever our football future might be. But I am not sure a steady diet of Stony Brook, Albany, NH, Towson and URI is what our future will include. I have a feeling that UD is also looking to jump with JMU if they can. A CAA without UD and JMU might not be so appealing to Richmond. I wonder what the feelings are in Williamsburg?

I for one prefer to compete with schools that are in closer geographic proximity, have been traditional rivals and are reasonably close from an overall institutional basis. Can't speak for anyone else.

I get the feeling that UR feels the traditional rivalry with W&M has become beneath them and that they need to move on away from W&M.
12-01-2017 02:04 PM
bostonspider Offline
2nd String

(12-01-2017 02:04 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  I get the feeling that UR feels the traditional rivalry with W&M has become beneath them and that they need to move on away from W&M.

Actually this was the exact opposite of what President Crutcher mentioned. He felt that whatever UR does, the rivalry with W&M in football was paramount.
12-01-2017 02:14 PM
Tribe4SF Online
1st String

I Root For: W&M
(12-01-2017 02:14 PM)bostonspider Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 02:04 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  I get the feeling that UR feels the traditional rivalry with W&M has become beneath them and that they need to move on away from W&M.

Actually this was the exact opposite of what President Crutcher mentioned. He felt that whatever UR does, the rivalry with W&M in football was paramount.

I think that's a given for both sides. If JMU and UD bolt I would love to see a new football conference with W&M, UR, Nova, Elon, Towson, Furman, Wofford, Fordham, and Monmouth.
12-01-2017 02:27 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
(12-01-2017 01:52 PM)bostonspider Wrote:  So I briefly chatted with our (Richmond's) President last night, and one thing I found interesting is that UR is looking into the possibility that sometime in the future we might not be in the CAA. I gathered the consensus there is that JMU will eventually find a way to move up to FBS ...

Anyone here ever have a similar chat with our President, or our AD, or our former AD, about this very thing?

So, the Richmond President is pondering this, and he has now been joined by a new AD from Bucknell who gave the candid interview which I linked several weeks ago.

If we are not pondering this issue, and preparing for same, shame on us.
12-01-2017 02:36 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Blow up the Patriot and take a few of those teams?

Id love if Georgetown could get their program together. Id take UNH or Maine over Elon.

Definitely Fordham and Monmouth from the standpoint of institutional alignment.
12-01-2017 02:42 PM
Advertisement

Zorch Offline
All American

The Spiders could generate a ton of goodwill with W&M if they would simply do some basic things like play men's basketball home-and-home series. Right now, it seems that "our place or no place" is the Richmond attitude.

If you value our relationship in football then value our relationship in all sports!
12-01-2017 02:45 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

(12-01-2017 02:42 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Blow up the Patriot and take a few of those teams?

Id love if Georgetown could get their program together. Id take UNH or Maine over Elon.

Monmouth = institutional alignment? I can't say that I ever noticed Monmouth's name up there with W&M on any "best colleges" lists.

I think a 9-team league is best in football so that every team plays every other team every year. Assuming as per this discussion that Delaware and JMU both move up then the eight other teams that I would like to play every year include (and giving first crack to current CAA members): Richmond, Villanova, UNH, Elon (meh), Towson (meh), Furman, Wofford, and (pick one of next two) Citadel or Hampton.

I see no reason to regularly play Maine, Rhody, Stony, or Albany (heck, even now we have never played Albany). I have nothing against Fordham or any Patriot schools but, likewise, I don't have any positive feelings for them either. Georgetown is simply not good enough for us to play them regularly, nor is VMI.
12-01-2017 02:58 PM
bostonspider Offline
2nd String

Personally, I like a lot of the PL schools. I would likely rather be in an expanded PL with VU and W&M. 9 schools, play everyone once, (I hate that we all don't play each other in the CAA now). Georgetown heads down to non scholly PFL where they belong

Holy Cross
Colgate
Fordham
Lehigh
Lafayette
Villanova
Bucknell
Richmond
William & Mary.

[Image: 38054003694_08b5a31b6b_b.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 03:19 PM by bostonspider.)
12-01-2017 03:19 PM
LeadBolt Online
All American

I like hearing that. I'm disappointed the comment is limited to one sport only.
12-01-2017 03:26 PM
bostonspider Offline
2nd String

(12-01-2017 03:26 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  I like hearing that. I'm disappointed the comment is limited to one sport only.

Looking at most of the UR sports schedules for the past few years, it appears that Men's Hoops is one of the few sports that the Spiders and Tribe have not consistently met. It appears that men's basketball is what you all are talking about, as all the other sports play each other quite frequently..
12-01-2017 03:34 PM
Advertisement

LeadBolt Online
All American

(12-01-2017 03:34 PM)bostonspider Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 03:26 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  I like hearing that. I'm disappointed the comment is limited to one sport only.

Looking at most of the UR sports schedules for the past few years, it appears that Men's Hoops is one of the few sports that the Spiders and Tribe have not consistently met. It appears that men's basketball is what you all are talking about, as all the other sports play each other quite frequently..

Basketball is my favorite sport. Men are more visible than Women, although that may be changing somewhat. Condolences to your ladies.

The maneuver to jettison the realignment that UR & W&M seemed to be working on jointly when the A-10 came calling and then to stop coming to the 'burg are the nexus of my feelings.
12-01-2017 03:40 PM
Tribal Offline

(12-01-2017 03:34 PM)bostonspider Wrote:  

Correct. So please chat with your prez and tell him to get cracking on the MBB vs Tribe schedule.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
12-01-2017 03:51 PM
bostonspider Offline
2nd String

(12-01-2017 03:40 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  The maneuver to jettison the realignment that UR & W&M seemed to be working on jointly when the A-10 came calling and then to stop coming to the 'burg are the nexus of my feelings.

I understand that, but for UR, the A10 was just a better institutional fit at the time for sure. The additions of VCU, GMU and Davidson has made it even stronger for UR. I'd love it if W&M was in the conference, but I think that basketball is just not as strong a priority to the Tribe as it has been to UR. One can see that in the renovations that Richmond has invested in the Robins Center.

[Image: 1041B-614-AB_Robins.jpg]

Now the Tribe has invested even more heavily in the gorgeous Zable Field, and Laycock Center.
12-01-2017 03:55 PM
LeadBolt Online
All American

CAA Football
(12-01-2017 03:55 PM)bostonspider Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 03:40 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  The maneuver to jettison the realignment that UR & W&M seemed to be working on jointly when the A-10 came calling and then to stop coming to the 'burg are the nexus of my feelings.

I understand that, but for UR, the A10 was just a better institutional fit at the time for sure. The additions of VCU, GMU and Davidson has made it even stronger for UR. I'd love it if W&M was in the conference, but I think that basketball is just not as strong a priority to the Tribe as it has been to UR. One can see that in the renovations that Richmond has invested in the Robins Center.

Now the Tribe has invested even more heavily in the gorgeous Zable Field, and Laycock Center.

I’d love for W&M to be in your situation as well. Sorry that our not keeping up with investments in basketball facilities as you have made in Robbins puts the drive to the ‘burg off the radar for UR and out of range for lobbying for us to join you GMU, VCU, & Davidson, old rivals all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-01-2017 04:03 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(12-01-2017 02:58 PM)Zorch Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 02:42 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Blow up the Patriot and take a few of those teams?

Monmouth = institutional alignment? I can't say that I ever noticed Monmouth's name up there with W&M on any "best colleges" lists.

I think a 9-team league is best in football so that every team plays every other team every year. Assuming as per this discussion that Delaware and JMU both move up then the eight other teams that I would like to play every year include (and giving first crack to current CAA members): Richmond, Villanova, UNH, Elon (meh), Towson (meh), Furman, Wofford, and (pick one of next two) Citadel or Hampton.

I see no reason to regularly play Maine, Rhody, Stony, or Albany (heck, even now we have never played Albany). I have nothing against Fordham or any Patriot schools but, likewise, I don't have any positive feelings for them either. Georgetown is simply not good enough for us to play them regularly, nor is VMI.

I thought Monmouth was a small private liberal arts school? Maybe Im mistaken.

I know less about Furman and Wofford...but maybe thats my Northeast bias.

Fordham should be a must-add target for the CAA or whatever league we go to. NYC alone makes it attractive as a visiting team/fan. They typically have high-average records in athletics and are academically minded.

I dont understand the point of Georgetown Football's existence in its current state. They have more than enough money and there is no college football inside of DC other than Howard.
12-01-2017 04:11 PM
Advertisement

nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(12-01-2017 03:55 PM)bostonspider Wrote:  

UR isnt leaving the A10 for basketball and WM is not getting an invite any time soon. The past is the past. If we get into the tournament, I think theyll schedule us again...as soon as Nathan Knight graduates.
12-01-2017 04:13 PM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

It's nice their Prez said that but I don't trust UR to do things with W&M in mind. What in our shared history would give me any confidence that they'll act in our joint interests.

IMO, if JMU is looking to move up, and UD is looking to move up, then W&M (and UR and VU and Furman and Fordham and whoever) should be looking to move up. I see 0 reason to park our football program in FCS if former peers are moving on.
12-01-2017 04:25 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
(12-01-2017 04:25 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  It's nice their Prez said that but I don't trust UR to do things with W&M in mind. What in our shared history would give me any confidence that they'll act in our joint interests.

IMO, if JMU is looking to move up, and UD is looking to move up, then W&M (and UR and VU and Furman and Fordham and whoever) should be looking to move up. I see 0 reason to park our football program in FCS if former peers are moving on.

I agree.
12-01-2017 05:42 PM
Tribal Offline

(12-01-2017 05:42 PM)nj alum Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 04:25 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  It's nice their Prez said that but I don't trust UR to do things with W&M in mind. What in our shared history would give me any confidence that they'll act in our joint interests.

I agree.
We know...we know.

And, Purdue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
12-01-2017 06:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.