Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Mexico State vs Arkansas State Discussion
Bookmark and Share
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
Exclamation New Mexico State vs Arkansas State Discussion
ESPN gives a 55% chance to the red wolves. Could be a closer game than anticipated. NMSU's defense is going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to win though.
10-22-2017 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: New Mexico State vs Arkansas State Discussion
I'm glad it is a night game and that NMSU should be fired up about their team and this game.

Red Wolves play best when there is energy. Playing at 11 AM in front of sparse November crowds on the road and stAte can get what they got from an inferior Louisiana team last year.
10-22-2017 01:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
stAte wins big.
10-22-2017 01:03 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
We traditionally play better on the road in front of larger crowds. This is very true. Its games like Georgia State and Texas State away, in front of sparse crowds that give us the most trouble.

The good news on that front is that our next 2 road games are NMSU and USA, so there shouldn't be any issues with sparse crowds and disinterested opponents at either place. ULM might present some issues end of the season, but we always send a good sized traveling contingent to Monroe to help alleviate that a bit.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2017 01:06 PM by chiefsfan.)
10-22-2017 01:04 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
well prove us wrong NMSU.....beat Ark State and NMSU will get respect from everyone here
10-22-2017 01:04 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
I think it's the toughest matchup we've seen so far. This will be a real test against a team that is playing with confidence and a bit of swagger. I hope we come to play like we did against the Cajuns.
10-22-2017 07:21 PM
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

Line is stAte by 5.5 . . . should be an exciting shootout!
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2017 07:37 PM by WinstonTheWolf.)
10-22-2017 07:36 PM
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NM State Aggies!
This game will come down to whomever's defense is better. Both offenses should be explosive.
10-22-2017 07:43 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

(10-22-2017 07:43 PM)NeptunianEmp Wrote:  This game will come down to whomever's defense is better. Both offenses should be explosive.

ESPN Team Efficiencies list stAte as just slightly better on offense and defense, but significantly better on special teams.
10-22-2017 07:51 PM
chiefsfan Offline

The Rankings are impossible to figure out for these guys. One would think NMSU with Rose is a better rushing offense, but they're last in the league against the Run. Meanwhile the defense that looked so vulnerable for most of the year to the rest of us is 4th in the conference and 1st against the Pass.

I'd give us a slight edge in Offense because Hansen is dual threat and takes care of the football a little better. Defenses I'd say even, maybe leaning AState if our defense played like it did Thursday Night. Special Teams...not sure. I'd give us the edge in return yardage with Blaise Taylor returning punts and our penance for pinning the opponent inside the 20 on kick returns, but I think they have a better kicker than we do.
10-22-2017 08:12 PM
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NM State Aggies!
(10-22-2017 08:12 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  The Rankings are impossible to figure out for these guys. One would think NMSU with Rose is a better rushing offense, but they're last in the league against the Run. Meanwhile the defense that looked so vulnerable for most of the year to the rest of us is 4th in the conference and 1st against the Pass.

I'd give us a slight edge in Offense because Hansen is dual threat and takes care of the football a little better. Defenses I'd say even, maybe leaning AState if our defense played like it did Thursday Night. Special Teams...not sure. I'd give us the edge in return yardage with Blaise Taylor returning punts and our penance for pinning the opponent inside the 20 on kick returns, but I think they have a better kicker than we do.

There is also the fact that NMSU is coming off of a bye week. Some of our guys were pretty banged up from the previous 7 games. Plus our guys want to show how much they have improved and the homecoming game is the perfect place to do so.
10-22-2017 08:28 PM
Advertisement

riburn3 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NMSU/UTEP
This is going to be a shootout. The difference is going to come down to which QB makes the most mistakes. Both teams have been solid at applying pressure on opposing QBs and forcing turnovers this season. Both teams will have had extra time to prepare for this one as well.

Can NMSU finally top a Sun Belt power? I think so.
10-22-2017 08:35 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(10-22-2017 08:28 PM)NeptunianEmp Wrote:  
(10-22-2017 08:12 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  The Rankings are impossible to figure out for these guys. One would think NMSU with Rose is a better rushing offense, but they're last in the league against the Run. Meanwhile the defense that looked so vulnerable for most of the year to the rest of us is 4th in the conference and 1st against the Pass.

There is also the fact that NMSU is coming off of a bye week. Some of our guys were pretty banged up from the previous 7 games. Plus our guys want to show how much they have improved and the homecoming game is the perfect place to do so.

Bye week helps, but it probably makes zero difference in terms of anything other than you guys getting a couple more bodies healthy. TV games plus the Miami cancellation has left us with a schedule that has included only one occurrence of playing back to back Saturday's. We're not exactly tired. If anything we thrive playing games on short rest against an opponent on a longer rest.
10-22-2017 08:38 PM
riburn3 Offline
Water Engineer

Don’t think that’s meant as a slight to stAte and more of a comment that our game against Southern was on the tail end of 3 straight road games, 2 in a row to the east coast, and we were missing several key starters on both sides of the ball. This game we will have gotten 2 weeks to prepare and heal, and will be getting a compliment of our guys back.

stAte is rightfully favored, but I think NMSU pulls out the upset.
10-22-2017 08:43 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

NMSU could very well be a load. But remember all week most thought Louisiana was score on us...a shootout. They never got into the red zone and could only score on 51 yard field goal. Remember we don't like UL...fans, players, and even coaches I understand so beating them soundly was really really important. Especially after costing us an outright championship last year. The intensity may not quite be at that level with the Aggies. I really hope it is.
10-22-2017 08:51 PM
riburn3 Offline
Water Engineer

Yeah, how stAte responds after the huge win will be interesting. Definitely a few differences though. It will be a road game for stAte, and they aren’t trying to avenge a previous season loss against NMSU like they were ULL. NMSU has also had a fairly consistent offensive effort this season, where ULL has been pretty Jeckyl and Hide.

I think it’s gonna be a fun one.
10-22-2017 08:55 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
In preseason, I tabbed NMSU as potentially one of the best offenses in the league if Rose and Rogers could stay healthy. Defense is a bit better than I expected. Special teams (kickoff returns, kickoff defense, punt returns, punt return defense) are generally a reliable indicator of depth. Last year NMSU was AWFUL in those categories this year well improved.
Martin has to be in the hunt for coach of the year though I like most outsiders remain puzzled Rose isn't carrying the rock more often. Figure this may be his week to get more carries.
10-22-2017 10:43 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

A lot of this is going to come down to coaching and "want to".

We're coming off of a big emotional rivalry win.

Anderson learned and adjusted to being prepared for physical emotional rivalry games, how are they going to handle the week after?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
10-22-2017 11:07 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

(10-22-2017 10:43 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  In preseason, I tabbed NMSU as potentially one of the best offenses in the league if Rose and Rogers could stay healthy. Defense is a bit better than I expected. Special teams (kickoff returns, kickoff defense, punt returns, punt return defense) are generally a reliable indicator of depth. Last year NMSU was AWFUL in those categories this year well improved.
Martin has to be in the hunt for coach of the year though I like most outsiders remain puzzled Rose isn't carrying the rock more often. Figure this may be his week to get more carries.

If we run through conference, winning by 40 each game, Martin will be a sure pick for coach of the year.
10-22-2017 11:13 PM
NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
(10-22-2017 11:07 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(10-22-2017 08:12 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  The Rankings are impossible to figure out for these guys. . . . .
A lot of this is going to come down to coaching and "want to".

We're coming off of a big emotional rivalry win.

Anderson learned and adjusted to being prepared for physical emotional rivalry games, how are they going to handle the week after?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Given the varied performances of both of the teams this year, it will all come down to whether each team is at the top of its performance or not. If they both are up or both are down, ASU should win but e pretty close as seen in the odds. However, it could be anywhere on the spectrum including a blowout either way.
10-22-2017 11:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.