Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread 2017-2020
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread 2017-2020
(09-13-2017 09:14 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Glynn Hill from the Chronicle also tweeted out today the Rice women have a new commitment today.

6-5 Ari McCurry of Roseville, CA. So the 2018-19 team will feature a 6-5 and a 6-9 player! That's obviously our largest duo ever although we did have a 6-4 and 6-6 duo one year.

That's worth making a new thread!!
Maybe even add it to the sticky list?

What do our incoming classes look like now?
09-15-2017 03:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: Women's Baaketball Recruiting Thread
McCurry and Jasmine Smith (5-10 guard from Kinkaid - ESPN top 100 recruit). That's it for the moment. We have 1 more scholarship to give with 2 current seniors (Rainey and Knight), although there is a chance Rainey will redshirt this season which would mean only 2 open scholarships total.
09-15-2017 05:28 AM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
Can someone consider fixing the typo in the thread Title? While I am not a grammar-perfect person, it is rather ironic having that obvious finger fumble in a Rice Board thread title.
10-28-2017 01:43 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread
(10-28-2017 01:43 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Can someone consider fixing the typo in the thread Title? While I am not a grammar-perfect person, it is rather ironic having that obvious finger fumble in a Rice Board thread title.

Bugs me too and it’s my typo! But I can’t edit it except on the PC browser. I’m on via mobile 99.9% of the time. I tried in old (32-bit) CSNBbs app and tapatalk. Will give it a shot tomorrow.

ETA: Figured out how to do it in Tapatalk. #WeTrySmarter
#BaaKetUp
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2017 11:01 PM by owl at the moon.)
10-28-2017 07:54 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Unfortunately I've heard the women have been hit hard by the injury bug already this year. Ellig and the freshman post from Indiana are both out for the year I believe with knee injuries. And Rainey is redshirting the season too. I still think we could be quite good but we're going to be tiny and not that deep with only 10 scholarship players (and just 1 over 6 feet). That could change quite a bit by next year with a potential front line that could go 6-9, 6-5 and 6-2.

With Rainey redshirting, we probably aren't signing any other players in the recruiting period.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2017 09:56 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
10-28-2017 09:56 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
RE: Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread
McCurry and Smith did sign yesterday with the women's basketball program. Smith is a top-100 recruit so that's probably the only top 100 either the men or women did sign yesterday. So next year's team will have three former top-100 recruits (Smith, Erica Ogwumike and Nancy Mulkey). And several others were close to top-100 types. I still think we'll be okay this year if the 10 healthy players can stay healthy, but the 2018-19 team for sure has top-25 potential.
11-09-2017 07:52 AM
Advertisement

owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

Noticed that in addition to Smith signing at Rice, that two other conference mates (WKY & ODU) have each signed one member of 2018’s ESPN top 100

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-ba...class/2018
12-27-2017 04:43 PM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
There is really no words to describe what a great job Coach Langley has done in recruiting. Do not tell me Rice cannot recruit with the P5 schools because of its high academic standards. They will come with the right coach in place. This puts a lot of pressure on the mens' program. They better turn it around soon in the recruiting phase.
12-27-2017 09:41 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
(12-27-2017 09:41 PM)OldOwl Wrote:  There is really no words to describe what a great job Coach Langley has done in recruiting. Do not tell me Rice cannot recruit with the P5 schools because of its high academic standards. They will come with the right coach in place. This puts a lot of pressure on the mens' program. They better turn it around soon in the recruiting phase.

You can’t compare recruiting for women’s and men’s sports. There aren’t pro women’s leagues paying millions of dollars a year. A lot of the MBB/football/baseball players are delusional and think they’re going to start in the pros and make big $$$. JK tweeted a story years ago showing how small the percentages are that even make the pros (1%) compared to the percent of HS seniors who think they have a chance (80 or something ridiculous). There’s a reason Rice was good at football when a student athlete could make more money as a professor than in the NFL.
12-27-2017 10:21 PM
elw4796 Offline
Heisman

Think somebody else posted about the subject at one of the annual dinners, but Rice does have a nice niche along with the Ivies, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford, etc. for women's players looking for the full academic experience where they're not restricted in what they can choose to study. And I agree with the post above, that with less chance of a professional career more student-athletes would be inclined to choose a more academically rigorous school. That's why, dependent on how much the program wins and coaching obviously, I'd expect the women's team to consistently be in the hunt for 3-star recruits and higher when we start looking at the 2019 class.
12-28-2017 12:51 AM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

(12-28-2017 12:51 AM)elw4796 Wrote:  That's why, dependent on how much the program wins and coaching obviously, I'd expect the women's team to consistently be in the hunt for 3-star recruits and higher when we start looking at the 2019 class.

Good news for you: that is an understatement. That’s actually been true since Langley took the HC job. We’re already projected to be able to put a lineup next year on the floor of mostly 4-Star and 5-Star recruits.
12-28-2017 12:00 PM
Advertisement

OldOwl Offline
1st String

I disagree. That is just a cope out. The only reason I can think of you want to play with the big boys is you are in front of larger crowds when you play or you want to brag to your homies you played for a P5 college. Only about 1% of college basketball players will be drafted in the NBA. The bottom line is even if you are convinced you are the next LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, or Akeem the Dream (Yes, I’m old-school) you better get that education. The worst case scenario is you use all your new found math knowledge to make sure you don’t go bankrupt like Allen Iverson and 80% (or so) of NBA players that file for bankruptcy within 5-years of retirement. The best case scenario is you know how to handle your money due to all your math knowledge and build an empire like Michael Jordan or at the very least give yourself an option if you blowout your knee or ACL two months into your career. It can happen to anyone, just ask Derrick Rose and Kobe Bryant who learned first hand of their basketball mortality last season. I hope Rice explains this to the recruits.
(12-28-2017 12:51 AM)elw4796 Wrote:  Think somebody else posted about the subject at one of the annual dinners, but Rice does have a nice niche along with the Ivies, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford, etc. for women's players looking for the full academic experience where they're not restricted in what they can choose to study. And I agree with the post above, that with less chance of a professional career more student-athletes would be inclined to choose a more academically rigorous school. That's why, dependent on how much the program wins and coaching obviously, I'd expect the women's team to consistently be in the hunt for 3-star recruits and higher when we start looking at the 2019 class.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 12:44 PM by OldOwl.)
12-28-2017 12:38 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

It’s pretty clear you’re out of touch with 16 and 17 year old recruits. They’re going to go where they think they have the best shot of making the pros. It’s especially true for basketball, look at the transfer epidemic.

Also for the degrees the majority of guys major in you’re just as well off at most of the P5s. The head scratcher is when guys say they value academics but end up at some of the G5’s as mentioned in the football recruiting thread. Pretty clear at that point their athletic career is the priority.
12-28-2017 01:28 PM
elw4796 Offline
Heisman

(12-28-2017 12:00 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  
(12-28-2017 12:51 AM)elw4796 Wrote:  That's why, dependent on how much the program wins and coaching obviously, I'd expect the women's team to consistently be in the hunt for 3-star recruits and higher when we start looking at the 2019 class.

Good news for you: that is an understatement. That’s actually been true since Langley took the HC job. We’re already projected to be able to put a lineup next year on the floor of mostly 4-Star and 5-Star recruits.

Oh I'm aware of the talent on the roster. Meant that I think we're more likely to see continuity in our strong recruiting/transfers than a regression as long as we maintain some semblance of program stability, at least based off who the coaching staff appears to be targeting.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 01:56 PM by elw4796.)
12-28-2017 01:56 PM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

Why did Rhoades come here then? Why did we have a 20 game winning season last year? Maybe the coach we hired had something to do with it ? They will come if we find the right coach to attract them and stay if there is stability in the program.
(12-28-2017 01:28 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  It’s pretty clear you’re out of touch with 16 and 17 year old recruits. They’re going to go where they think they have the best shot of making the pros. It’s especially true for basketball, look at the transfer epidemic.

Also for the degrees the majority of guys major in you’re just as well off at most of the P5s. The head scratcher is when guys say they value academics but end up at some of the G5’s as mentioned in the football recruiting thread. Pretty clear at that point their athletic career is the priority.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 12:45 AM by OldOwl.)
12-29-2017 12:44 AM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

Why did Rhoades come here then? Why did we have a 20 game winning season last year? Maybe the coach we hired had something to do with it ? They will come if we find the right coach to attract them. and show some stability. Hiring a high school like we did that no one ever heard of is a big risk. I hope it works out.
(12-28-2017 01:28 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  It’s pretty clear you’re out of touch with 16 and 17 year old recruits. They’re going to go where they think they have the best shot of making the pros. It’s especially true for basketball, look at the transfer epidemic.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 12:51 AM by OldOwl.)
12-29-2017 12:46 AM
Advertisement

InterestedX Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Oxford
(12-29-2017 12:46 AM)OldOwl Wrote:  Why did we have a 20 game winning season last year?

Men last season: #288 in strength of schedule, didn't beat any teams in the top 100.
12-29-2017 12:52 AM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

The Rice Owls women's basketball team had two games picked up by ESPN3, including this Saturday's tilt at home against Columbia at 2 p.m.
In addition, Rice's home game against Conference USA foe Old Dominion will be streamed on Jan. 28 at 2 p.m.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 12:59 PM by OldOwl.)
12-29-2017 12:58 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

Our star recruit has led Kinkaid to the #1 private school ranking.

http://vype.com/privateschools/2018/01/0...ear-ahead/
01-05-2018 06:54 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Excellent.
01-05-2018 07:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.