To Maximize the Value of Our Recent Additions We Need Conferences Like These:
csnbbs.com/thread-821177.html
07-01-2017 08:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: To Maximize the Value of Our Recent Additions We Need Conferences Like These:
(07-01-2017 08:02 PM)JRsec Wrote:  csnbbs.com/thread-821177.html

Interesting concept overall. I do think conferences need to be flexible in their thinking, which I am sure you would agree with. I will only speak from what I might see developing in the future for the ACC.

Let's say ND remains indy; PSU is out of the equation; and Texas won't join the ACC either in full or with an ND-type deal. :

I would like the ACC to get WVU and stop at 15 full members with one partial member. Why not remain at 14 full and ND? Simple. I still think the ACC needs one more football school to help FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT, and UL.

Let's say ND remains indy; PSU is still not interested; but Texas is willing to join the conference with an ND type deal on condition of adding two teams from the state of Texas:

I would like the ACC to add, if it can, TCU and Houston to get to 16 full members and two partial members.

Let's say the ACCN is so wildly successful that PSU is interested in joining and ND finally gives up it's cherished independence.

In this extremely unlikely scenario I would like to see the ACC get to 18 full members with ND, PSU, MD, and WVU.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 09:50 PM by OrangeDude.)
07-01-2017 09:49 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: To Maximize the Value of Our Recent Additions We Need Conferences Like These:
(07-01-2017 09:49 PM)OrangeDude Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 08:02 PM)JRsec Wrote:  csnbbs.com/thread-821177.html

Interesting concept overall. I do think conferences need to be flexible in their thinking, which I am sure you would agree with. I will only speak from what I might see developing in the future for the ACC.

Let's say ND remains indy; PSU is out of the equation; and Texas won't join the ACC either in full or with an ND-type deal. :

I would like the ACC to get WVU and stop at 15 full members with one partial member. Why not remain at 14 full and ND? Simple. I still think the ACC needs one more football school to help FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT, and UL.

Let's say ND remains indy; PSU is still not interested; but Texas is willing to join the conference with an ND type deal on condition of adding two teams from the state of Texas:

I would like the ACC to add, if it can, TCU and Houston to get to 16 full members and two partial members.

Let's say the ACCN is so wildly successful that PSU is interested in joining and ND finally gives up it's cherished independence.

In this extremely unlikely scenario I would like to see the ACC get to 18 full members with ND, PSU, MD, and WVU.

Cheers,
Neil

I can see the wisdom in all of those scenarios. What I don't want to see the SEC do is merely continue to add one in one direction and another in another direction. The only place we could add a pair and do some good would be in Texas. If we look at the old Big 8 schools we really need more than 2. Sure Oklahoma and Kansas would really help Missouri, but I believe if we got that far then Nebraska is certainly within reach. It would reconnect them to their old rivals and their recruiting roots in Texas. Equally true would be the Big 10 landing Kansas and Oklahoma and making a play for Missouri. The only difference is there is a GOR associated with the SECN and Missouri would not be available until 2034. The Big 10 GOR is up for renewal in 2023. Either way Iowa State would be the 2nd school of the 2nd pair.

I suggested Tulane because it would create a nice travel stop on I10 for the ACC. It would also set up the possibility of utilizing a 2 day cruise for games between Miami and any of the Texas schools. Tulane would be yet another destination stop and a new market for the ACC which would then have a presence in the Big Easy should we partner on the Sugar Bowl with the demise of the B12.

I think it would be easier for the ACC to expand into Texas, but probably more profitable to expand with the four you mentioned for the Northeast.
07-01-2017 10:08 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
To Maximize the Value of Our Recent Additions We Need Conferences Like These:
I have always been a proponent of Nebraska going to the SEC.

SEC adds Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas

West- Oklahoma, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas

Central- A&M, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State

East- Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, SC, Kentucky, Vanderbilt

ACC adds Texas, ND, TCU, TT

North- ND, Miami, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, BC

South- Texas, FSU, Clemson, TCU, TT, NC State

Central- NC, GT, VT, Duke, Virginia, WF

BIG adds USC, Stanford, Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Arizona

West- USC, Stanford, Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Arizona

Central- Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Colorado, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue

East- Ohio State, Michigan, Penn St, Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers

New B12/AAC becomes Arizona State, Utah, Washington State, Oregon State, Baylor, Houston, SMU, Kansas State, WV, Iowa State, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCONN, USF, UCF, Boise, BYU, Temple, ECU, UNLV, San Diego State

West- Arizona State, Utah, Washington State, Oregon State, BYU, San Diego State, UNLV

Central- Baylor, WV, SMU, Houston, Iowa State, Boise, Kansas State

East- Cincinnati, Memphis, UCONN, USF, UCF, Temple, ECU
07-01-2017 11:43 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
JRsec: you and I have talked about this one before. I think it would be smart to let the Big Ten have Oklahoma and Kansas and the SEC should focus its efforts on securing Texas and Texas Tech. The two conferences can then take a couple years to adjust until the ACC GOR is up and they declare open season on that league as well.
07-02-2017 09:23 PM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
If schools really want to blend boundaries, play regional rivals, and make the maximum amount of money then the top conferences need to merge into one big conference, division, whatever. Each school picks however many opponents, the specific opponents, and what dates (if that's important; i.e. last game of the season) and the different TV networks will bid on each game and even fill out the rest of the schedule for every school. That way the networks will get to space out the season however they want, fill the time slots with whatever schools from whatever region, and are only limited by how much they'd be willing to spend. The schools still get to play who they want and when they want while filling the remaining games with big money payouts. Without formal conferences, there will be more time in the schedule to have playoffs or a postseason which can incorporate more schools.

For example: Alabama says they want to play Auburn (last game of the year in rivalry week), Mississippi State (whenever), Ole Miss (whenever), Tennessee (whenever), and Texas A&M (whenever). Fox comes back and says, "We'll pay you $5M to play at Ohio State Labor Day." ABC counters with a $5M home game against Texas the same date because they are hoping to get Ohio State to host Florida State that day as a 3:30 game and want the night game to be Alabama-Texas. Schools and networks can make clauses so that extra money is paid out for things like total viewers, if the school is ranked or not (being ranked should lead to more viewers), etc.

This would solve a lot of problems caused by realignment where rivalries died, or schools moved away from their old recruiting grounds, or other problems. This would also solve the problems of schools wanting to keep playing the same opponents but not wanting to change conferences just to get more money. And networks can pay for what will sell and having more access to more brands across the country and paying to see the match ups that football fans want to see.
07-03-2017 06:56 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
Large conferences and doing away with games against FCS teams. Expanding FBS to the best of the FCS eliminates the need. 10 conference games in a 13 games regular season schedule. Honestly, I kind of love if the MAC looked like this.

B1G:

East- PSU, Rutgers, Maryland, UConn, Virginia

West- Texas, OU, KU, Nebraska, Iowa

South- Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State

North- Minny, Wisc, NW, Michigan, MSU

SEC:

East- UF, FSU, UGA, USC, UNC

West- A&M, TCU, Arkansas, OSU, Mizzou

South- Bama, Auburn, Miss St, Ole Miss, LSU

North- WVU, Tennessee, Vandy, UK, VT

Pac-20:

East- Colorado, KSU, ISU, Utah, BYU

West- Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Hawaii

South- ASU, UA, T Tech, Houston, UNLV

North- Oregon, OSU, Washington, WSU, Boise St.

ACC:

East- NC St, Duke, WF, ECU, Navy

West- Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, Baylor, SMU

South- Miami, GT, Clemson, UCF, USF

North- BC, Pitt, Cuse, Temple, Army

AAC:

East- James Madison, ODU, Richmond, Charolette, App State

West- Tulsa, UTSA, North Texas, Rice, Texas State

South- Tulane, USM, UAB, FIU, FAU

North- Marshall, WKU, Middle Tenn, Missouri St, Chattanooga

MWC:

East- Air Force, Wyoming, Utah State, Weber St, Northern Colorado

West- San Diego St, Fresno, San Jose, Cal Poly, San Diego

South- New Mexico, New Mexico St, UTEP, Northern Arizona, Nevada

North- Idaho, Eastern Washington, Montana, Portland, Montana St

CUSA:

East- Wofford, William & Mary, Liberty, Coastal Carolina, Eastern Kentucky

West- Troy, Alabama St, Jacksonville St, Louisiana Monroe, Louisiana Lafayette

South- Georgia St, Georgia Southern, Citadel, Western Carolina, Charleston Southern

North- Arkansas State, Central Arkansas, La Tech, Sam Houston, Stephen F Austin

MAC:

East- Buffalo, UMass, Delaware, New Hampshire, Maine

West- South Dakota State, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, N. Illinois, Illinois St

South- Youngstown, Kent, Miami, Ohio, Akron

North- CMU, WMU, EMU, Toledo, Bowling Green
07-03-2017 11:14 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Boston College
Connecticut
Syracuse
Rutgers
Penn State
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Notre Dame
Louisville

Virginia
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami
07-04-2017 07:50 AM
opossum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Duke
(07-04-2017 07:50 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Boston College
Connecticut
Syracuse
Rutgers
Penn State
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Notre Dame
Louisville

Virginia
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami

Leave out any two of UConn, Rutgers, Penn State, West Virginia, Notre Dame and Cincinnati. Move Miami to the division with BC, etc.

That way each team plays 4 home and 4 away football games, with no real need for cross-division scheduling (except FSU and Miami), but the ACC could facilitate it and encourage it. Have the two division champs play for the conference championship in the Queen City.

For basketball, assign everyone 4 permanent home and away rivals within their division, and two rotating home and away games within the division, with one home and one away against the other two teams. That's 14 games, so play 4 more cross-division games (2 home, 2 away) on a rotating basis. The division with BC could play a 9-team postseason tournament in New York City, and the division with Virginia could hold a 9-team postseason Tournament in Greensboro. The ACC office could determine which Tournament winner gets the at-large bid based on preselected criteria.
07-04-2017 11:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.