Yet another king Karl interview on Jonesboro radio
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
Yet another king Karl interview on Jonesboro radio
http://www.953theticket.com/?p=18330

Some tidbits:
-after the rainouts, they offered the baseball coaches to either try to squeeze double header games or just play single elimination; all but one coach chose single elimination

-discussed separation into two divisions briefly

-when asked what was pressing issue going forward, brought up basketball scheduling

-first time I've heard Karl take a semi knock on the institutes that left sunbelt (says they thought they were leaving for greener pastures)

-was asked about SBC cusa rumors; he noted all those are coming from CUSA media markets but regardless nothing is set in stone let alone on paper and he's focused on the belt long term plans and believes in the "travel partner" model they're implementing

-asked about future tv deal and KK said the sunbelt was never set up to be reliant or dependent on tv revenue but with "tv exposure in mind". They are trying to expedite they're tv negotiation deal with espn soon due to the forthcoming football championship game. He says baseball basketball and softball all need "further tv exposure"
05-30-2017 05:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Yet another king Karl interview on Jonesboro radio
"Not set in stone" is way different than "nothing to it".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
05-30-2017 05:17 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-30-2017 05:17 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  "Not set in stone" is way different than "nothing to it".

True. Seems like it could happen in the near to mid future. I would think that if CUSA couldn't get a better TV next year, that could set things in motion. However, as it is right now, CUSA does make more in TV revenue than the Sunbelt....at least I have yet to see any $$ figure from the SB so that means basically zero $$ but exposure of games.
05-30-2017 05:32 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
They make the equivalent in a rounding error more. There's no reason to realign at this point as the SBC makes more total and certainly more in per school amount from the CFP. No reason to realign geographically if you are in the SBC from a $$ standpoint.
05-30-2017 06:25 PM
wwwyzzrd Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: stAte
(05-30-2017 05:14 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  http://www.953theticket.com/?p=18330

Some tidbits:
-after the rainouts, they offered the baseball coaches to either try to squeeze double header games or just play single elimination; all but one coach chose single elimination

-discussed separation into two divisions briefly

-when asked what was pressing issue going forward, brought up basketball scheduling

-first time I've heard Karl take a semi knock on the institutes that left sunbelt (says they thought they were leaving for greener pastures)

-was asked about SBC cusa rumors; he noted all those are coming from CUSA media markets but regardless nothing is set in stone let alone on paper and he's focused on the belt long term plans and believes in the "travel partner" model they're implementing

-asked about future tv deal and KK said the sunbelt was never set up to be reliant or dependent on tv revenue but with "tv exposure in mind". They are trying to expedite they're tv negotiation deal with espn soon due to the forthcoming football championship game. He says baseball basketball and softball all need "further tv exposure"

Working with ESPN to expedite a TV deal probably translates into us making concessions in order to gain a tv deal more quickly......in all likelihood, ESPN will use our championship game as a big commercial for P5 matchups like they do with our bowl games........As a fan, I would rather have a lower tv payout on a different network, but I also understand the hand we are playing with as a conference.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2017 06:35 PM by wwwyzzrd.)
05-30-2017 06:34 PM
SkullyMaroo Online

I Root For: South Alabama
It wasn't long ago we had ~6-8 baseball games on tv a year. I'm talking around 2014-2015. Our tv deal hasn't changed so it leads me to think that the explosion of softball popularity has had some effect on it as more softball games are televised. There might be other factors some on the board might know, but the Women's CWS had more viewers than the Baseball CWS the past couple years by a wide margin (like 30% more) and ESPN has noticed...
05-30-2017 07:00 PM
Advertisement

geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(05-30-2017 07:00 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  It wasn't long ago we had ~6-8 baseball games on tv a year. I'm talking around 2014-2015. Our tv deal hasn't changed so it leads me to think that the explosion of softball popularity has had some effect on it as more softball games are televised. There might be other factors some on the board might know, but the Women's CWS had more viewers than the Baseball CWS the past couple years by a wide margin (like 30% more) and ESPN has noticed...

Yes because the move to TD Ameritrade away from Rosenblatt and the new bats have killed the CWS. So did going to a 3 game series for the championship instead of the winner takes all.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2017 07:46 PM by geauxcajuns.)
05-30-2017 07:45 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(05-30-2017 07:45 PM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  
(05-30-2017 07:00 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  It wasn't long ago we had ~6-8 baseball games on tv a year. I'm talking around 2014-2015. Our tv deal hasn't changed so it leads me to think that the explosion of softball popularity has had some effect on it as more softball games are televised. There might be other factors some on the board might know, but the Women's CWS had more viewers than the Baseball CWS the past couple years by a wide margin (like 30% more) and ESPN has noticed...

Yes because the move to TD Ameritrade away from Rosenblatt and the new bats have killed the CWS. So did going to a 3 game series for the championship instead of the winner takes all.

I highly doubt the stadium move affected TV viewership. It's not like 99% of the TV audience even knows the difference. But when and who were the teams televised when we had all these baseball games televised? I really don't remember any besides TXST on LHN but I don't exactly watch any other Belt teams either so I'm curious.
05-30-2017 08:56 PM
SkullyMaroo Online

I Root For: South Alabama
(05-30-2017 08:56 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

I highly doubt the stadium move affected TV viewership. It's not like 99% of the TV audience even knows the difference. But when and who were the teams televised when we had all these baseball games televised? I really don't remember any besides TXST on LHN but I don't exactly watch any other Belt teams either so I'm curious.

Conference games on TV for South Alabama that I can easily find (not counting ESPN3)...
2014 UTA @ USA -- The Sun Belt Network
2014 Troy @ USA -- CSS
2013 WKU @ USA -- CSS
2013 USA @ ULM -- The Sun Belt Network
05-30-2017 09:22 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob

By TV, you mean CSS which no longer exists and a few ESPN3 games. If you remember in the past, only the last two days of the baseball tournament was on ESPN3 and now all of the championship games are produced on ESPN3. The league has made the decision to put its production budget into the championship events, especially with more and more schools (which the league is supplementing equipment costs) producing their own ESPN3 content.
05-30-2017 09:31 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
(05-30-2017 09:22 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

Conference games on TV for South Alabama that I can easily find (not counting ESPN3)...
2014 UTA @ USA -- The Sun Belt Network
2014 Troy @ USA -- CSS
2013 WKU @ USA -- CSS
2013 USA @ ULM -- The Sun Belt Network

Sun Belt Network was CSS
05-30-2017 09:32 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT

Bobcats were also on Spectrum Sports a few times. . . . Think I saw about 6 televised Bobcat Baseball games this season . . .between LHN & SS . .
05-30-2017 09:45 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Does he own property in Jonesboro or are they out of cards for their roladex?

twitter.com/DieselOnRadio
05-30-2017 10:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

Those were CSS games. When that network went under, the Sun Belt instead worked out a deal with ESPN that aby game a Sun Belt school chose to broadcast themselves would be broadcast on ESPN3.

A lot of SBC schools have still not chosen to put their games on ESPN3, and this includes basketball. Last year I believe 4 or 5 schools chose to take advantage of the deal.

None of this has anything to do with softball, as I've yet to see a single Regular Season softball game on ESPN.
05-30-2017 11:54 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-30-2017 10:55 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  Does he own property in Jonesboro or are they out of cards for their roladex?

He's got some sort of agreement with the station to do a couple interviews every two months. They always bring him on during Football Bowl Season, during the conference basketball tournament, right after SBC Spring meetings, and during SBC Media Days in July.

Thing to keep in mind is that the station has 6 hours a day of programming through 3 different shows, all where AState/Sun Belt is first priority programming. I can't imagine Karl gets a ton of interview requests as regularly.
05-30-2017 11:58 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-30-2017 05:32 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(05-30-2017 05:17 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  "Not set in stone" is way different than "nothing to it".

True. Seems like it could happen in the near to mid future. I would think that if CUSA couldn't get a better TV next year, that could set things in motion. However, as it is right now, CUSA does make more in TV revenue than the Sunbelt....at least I have yet to see any $$ figure from the SB so that means basically zero $$ but exposure of games.

The Sunbelt gets 1.2 million a year (which is something I didn't know until recently). So, SB teams get $120K and CUSA schools get $200K. The SB will be adding a CCG--so they will see an increase I suspect. The SB would like to do a full renegotiation of their contract during the CCG contract talks. Either way---there will be some sort of increase for the SB schools this year. CUSA is renegotiating their deal this year, but given the ratings, they probably wont do a lot better than last time. I suspect they find a way to squeeze a bit more money out of their deals since there seems to be plenty of players out there looking for content.

Bottom line---the SB and CUSA media deals already are and will probably stay about as close to equal as you will see in FBS football. There are plenty of potential issues in a SB-CUSA reorganization----but media money likely wont be one of them.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2017 07:06 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-31-2017 12:09 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(05-31-2017 12:09 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-30-2017 05:32 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

The Sunbelt gets 1.2 million a year (which is something I didn't know until recently). So, SB teams get $120K and CUSA schools get $200K. The SB will be adding a CCG--so they will see an increase I suspect. The SB would like to do a full renegotiation of their contract during the CCG contract talks. Either way---there will be some sort of increase for the SB schools this year. CUSA is renegotiating their deal this year, but given the ratings, they probably wont do a lot better than last time. I suspect they find a way to squeeze a bit more money out of their deals since there seems to be plenty of players out there looking for content.

Bottom line---the SB and CUSA media deals already are and will probably stay about as close to equal as you will see in FBS football. There are plenty of potential issues in a SB-CUSA reorganization----but media money likely wont one of them.

The biggest single advantage we have over CUSA is that our programs were built with no TV money to speak of, so we've never relied on the dollars to really get things off the ground. Many CUSA programs entered the league on the promise of 1 million dollars plus per team, and are now stuck trying to find a million in revenue from different sources.
05-31-2017 12:38 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Sun Belt is like a country song. If you've always been broke you don't notice you are broke.

Basically we are in the spot of all of college football was in during the 50's. There wasn't any tv money worth talking about so we focus on ticket sales, sponsors, and donations.

Prowling around I've seen where North Texas and La.Tech each got deals worth about $500,000 a year from Learfield to handle their marketing, AState's deal is worth $1.6 million per year average.

You have far more control over your own ability to sell tickets, get sponsors and donors than you do over what TV thinks you are worth.
05-31-2017 07:51 AM
troutbummike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
(05-30-2017 11:58 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(05-30-2017 10:55 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  Does he own property in Jonesboro or are they out of cards for their roladex?

He's got some sort of agreement with the station to do a couple interviews every two months. They always bring him on during Football Bowl Season, during the conference basketball tournament, right after SBC Spring meetings, and during SBC Media Days in July.

Thing to keep in mind is that the station has 6 hours a day of programming through 3 different shows, all where AState/Sun Belt is first priority programming. I can't imagine Karl gets a ton of interview requests as regularly.

Do they stream that channel by any chance?
05-31-2017 09:21 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-31-2017 09:21 AM)troutbummike Wrote:  
(05-30-2017 11:58 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Do they stream that channel by any chance?

http://www.953theticket.com/?page_id=43

They also post most segments on SoundCloud.
05-31-2017 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.