Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Baseball Selection discussion
Bookmark and Share
MOTIAW Online
1st String

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
NCAA Baseball Selection discussion
So D1baseball has the Jags as a 2 seed, going to Baton Rouge. I like it. We just set precedence for you guys last year. And the conference had success vs the Tigers this year.
05-29-2017 06:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: NCAA Baseball Selection discussion
BA has you in Hattiesburg as a #3.
05-29-2017 09:01 AM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
My guess is BR. It will be a tall task as LSU is playing at the top of their game right now, but beggars can't be choosers. I like our offense in the postseason, but I worry about how our pitching will hold up. Only one way to find out.
05-29-2017 10:32 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

Southern Miss
Illinois Chicago

South Alabama
Mississippi State

Paired with Baton Rouge Super Regional

LSU
Texas Southern

Rice
SE Louisiana
05-29-2017 11:24 AM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

This should be fun.
05-29-2017 11:25 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Tells me 2 things:

1. South would not have gotten in without winning Sunday. A Regional 3 seed against a very good 2 seed and that's with 39 wins and an automatic bid.

2. While it's not a National Seed regional, this won't be easy. Miss State, South Alabama, and Southern Miss are all strong offensive teams built without amazing starting pitching. Illinois Chicago meanwhile is a scary 4 seed, with one of the best pitching staffs in the country.
05-29-2017 11:28 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
That's it. One big league. Radford replaces Coastal Carolina as Big South Champions, assuring us all the apocalypse is nigh.

Glad the NCAA left South Carolina out. They didn't deserve to make the field, and I was tired of the talking heads were trying to put them in. Ole Miss and Miami left out as well. That's the one redeeming quality of the baseball selection committee, they are not afraid of giving at large bids to non power conference schools.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2017 11:43 AM by chiefsfan.)
05-29-2017 11:40 AM
SENOREIDA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal
(05-29-2017 11:40 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  That's it. One big league. Radford replaces Coastal Carolina as Big South Champions, assuring us all the apocalypse is nigh.

Glad the NCAA left South Carolina out. They didn't deserve to make the field, and I was tired of the talking heads were trying to put them in. Ole Miss and Miami left out as well. That's the one redeeming quality of the baseball selection committee, they are not afraid of giving at large bids to non power conference schools.

No offense, but Radford didn't replace us. The only reason they got in was winning the conference tournament. We would have gotten in last year regardless of winning the tournament. I hope next year we schedule less tournaments, and don't play all of the P5 midweek games on the road. Live and learn.
05-29-2017 11:48 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(05-29-2017 11:40 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  That's it. One big league. Radford replaces Coastal Carolina as Big South Champions, assuring us all the apocalypse is nigh.

I do think there are too many Big Ten teams in the tournament. I'm going to go ahead an guess that of the 5 that make the make the tournament at most 1 will win the regionals and they'll all be gone for the CWS.

BTW, the awesome and amazing CUSA only got two in, and that was because Rice stole a bid.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2017 11:50 AM by EigenEagle.)
05-29-2017 11:49 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(05-29-2017 11:49 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

I do think there are too many Big Ten teams in the tournament. I'm going to go ahead an guess that of the 5 that make the make the tournament at most 1 will win the regionals and they'll all be gone for the CWS.

BTW, the awesome and amazing CUSA only got two in, and that was because Rice stole a bid.

definitely a downer..southland got in two
05-29-2017 12:18 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

(05-29-2017 11:28 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Tells me 2 things:

1. South would not have gotten in without winning Sunday. A Regional 3 seed against a very good 2 seed and that's with 39 wins and an automatic bid.

2. While it's not a National Seed regional, this won't be easy. Miss State, South Alabama, and Southern Miss are all strong offensive teams built without amazing starting pitching. Illinois Chicago meanwhile is a scary 4 seed, with one of the best pitching staffs in the country.

I think we were a 3 seed because Hattiesburg is only 80 miles away from Mobile. MSU got the 2 seed because their RPI was 2 spots better and they beat us 2 out of 3 games -- albeit the first two games were against a flu ridden Jag team. USA has the second best RPI among 3 seeds (NC State was 29 and USA was 30) and USA has a better RPI than 4 of the #2 seeds. It's location based since there isn't a real difference in being a 2 or 3 seed.
05-29-2017 12:25 PM
Advertisement

HCJag Offline
All American

I can live with it but I don't really like it. Looks like Cal State Fullerton got a gift though just because they're in California. But I wouldn't want to travel from my own back yard to California just to be a #2 seed. Same for Nebraska having to travel to #1 Oregon St. Wouldn't want to be them.
05-29-2017 12:37 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
(05-29-2017 12:25 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

I think we were a 3 seed because Hattiesburg is only 80 miles away from Mobile. MSU got the 2 seed because their RPI was 2 spots better and they beat us 2 out of 3 games -- albeit the first two games were against a flu ridden Jag team. USA has the second best RPI among 3 seeds (NC State was 29 and USA was 30) and USA has a better RPI than 4 of the #2 seeds. It's location based since there isn't a real difference in being a 2 or 3 seed.

I disagree that there is no difference in being a 2 and a 3 seed ... There is quite a difference in the two based on the quality of opponent you are playing. Wouldn't you rather be a two playing teams in the 32-47 range instead of a three playing teams in the 17-32?
05-29-2017 12:50 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

(05-29-2017 12:50 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  

I disagree that there is no difference in being a 2 and a 3 seed ... There is quite a difference in the two based on the quality of opponent you are playing. Wouldn't you rather be a two playing teams in the 32-47 range instead of a three playing teams in the 17-32?

I'm giving a practical explanation for why USA is a 3 seed and you're arguing semantics about a hypothetical 2-3 seed. The 2 seed plays the 3 seed in the opening game regardless. We are in Hattiesburg because of location. If MSU was the 3 seed and USA was the 2 seed we would still be playing MSU.

In your hypothetical situation, of course you'd want to be the RPI 17-32 team and not the 32-48 team.
05-29-2017 01:34 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-29-2017 10:32 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  My guess is BR. It will be a tall task as LSU is playing at the top of their game right now, but beggars can't be choosers. I like our offense in the postseason, but I worry about how our pitching will hold up. Only one way to find out.

How do you figure we are beggars here???

We won our conference tourney. Coastal and that team from Lafayette were the beggars, and they came up empty.(unfortunately)

Sorry Cajuns, couldn't help myself at the dig. Just a rivalry thing.04-cheers
05-29-2017 02:01 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
(05-29-2017 11:49 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

With a record that was one game over .500.

Just amazing.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see they won their tournament.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2017 02:34 PM by FoUTASportscaster.)
05-29-2017 02:22 PM
Advertisement

swampbear Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(05-29-2017 02:01 PM)Usajags Wrote:  
(05-29-2017 10:32 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  My guess is BR. It will be a tall task as LSU is playing at the top of their game right now, but beggars can't be choosers. I like our offense in the postseason, but I worry about how our pitching will hold up. Only one way to find out.

How do you figure we are beggars here???

We won our conference tourney. Coastal and that team from Lafayette were the beggars, and they came up empty.(unfortunately)

Sorry Cajuns, couldn't help myself at the dig. Just a rivalry thing.04-cheers

That's ok.....not a damned one of us thought we deserved anything after this season........
05-29-2017 02:29 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

(05-29-2017 01:34 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

I'm giving a practical explanation for why USA is a 3 seed and you're arguing semantics about a hypothetical 2-3 seed. The 2 seed plays the 3 seed in the opening game regardless. We are in Hattiesburg because of location. If MSU was the 3 seed and USA was the 2 seed we would still be playing MSU.

In your hypothetical situation, of course you'd want to be the RPI 17-32 team and not the 32-48 team.

My hypothetical is the norm more than your situation ... I would rather be a two than a three 90 percent of the time because they are not the same and the matchups are not the same.

If South Alabama were a two seed, they would not be playing someone as quality as Mississippi State in the opening round; that's not hard to understand.
05-29-2017 02:40 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

(05-29-2017 02:40 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  

My hypothetical is the norm more than your situation ... I would rather be a two than a three 90 percent of the time because they are not the same and the matchups are not the same.

If South Alabama were a two seed, they would not be playing someone as quality as Mississippi State in the opening round; that's not hard to understand.

Maybe it is... MSU as a 2 seed has to play someone "as quality as" South Alabama in the opening round (RPI 28 vs 30).
05-29-2017 02:45 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

(05-29-2017 02:45 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(05-29-2017 02:40 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  
(05-29-2017 12:25 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  I think we were a 3 seed because Hattiesburg is only 80 miles away from Mobile. MSU got the 2 seed because their RPI was 2 spots better and they beat us 2 out of 3 games -- albeit the first two games were against a flu ridden Jag team. USA has the second best RPI among 3 seeds (NC State was 29 and USA was 30) and USA has a better RPI than 4 of the #2 seeds. It's location based since there isn't a real difference in being a 2 or 3 seed.

Maybe it is... MSU as a 2 seed has to play someone "as quality as" South Alabama in the opening round (RPI 28 vs 30).

Right; it doesn't work in every instance, which is what I said.
05-29-2017 02:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.