Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gill - does Gill go or stay
Bookmark and Share
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
Interesting that with all the hoopla surrounding LU and the announcement of the FB schedule that there was zero mention of coach Gill. Not from JFJr. or Trump. No kidding or mention, zero, zilch. Is one to assume since no mention was made that Gill is feeling heat to better a 6-5 mark in the lowly BSC? As some stated he was a good fit to become coach at the time, is he the best fit as LU moves toward full FBS? Will he get a pass in 2018 and maybe 2019 playing the likes to ALL teams being superior? And what about 2017? If Gill goes less than 8-3 in 2017 is he secure? As LU moves to a full FS schedule the intensity increases to improve. Is Gill the man?
05-19-2017 07:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
RE: Gill - does Gill go or stay
(05-19-2017 07:13 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  Interesting that with all the hoopla surrounding LU and the announcement of the FB schedule that there was zero mention of coach Gill. Not from JFJr. or Trump. No kidding or mention, zero, zilch. Is one to assume since no mention was made that Gill is feeling heat to better a 6-5 mark in the lowly BSC? As some stated he was a good fit to become coach at the time, is he the best fit as LU moves toward full FBS? Will he get a pass in 2018 and maybe 2019 playing the likes to ALL teams being superior? And what about 2017? If Gill goes less than 8-3 in 2017 is he secure? As LU moves to a full FS schedule the intensity increases to improve. Is Gill the man?

1) Gill is not going to be the Coach moving forward. 2 years max unless they start really winning 10-1.

2) y'all should have gotten Jamey Chadwell imo

3) I expect he will be gone after this season.
05-19-2017 10:23 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(05-19-2017 10:23 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  
(05-19-2017 07:13 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  Interesting that with all the hoopla surrounding LU and the announcement of the FB schedule that there was zero mention of coach Gill. Not from JFJr. or Trump. No kidding or mention, zero, zilch. Is one to assume since no mention was made that Gill is feeling heat to better a 6-5 mark in the lowly BSC? As some stated he was a good fit to become coach at the time, is he the best fit as LU moves toward full FBS? Will he get a pass in 2018 and maybe 2019 playing the likes to ALL teams being superior? And what about 2017? If Gill goes less than 8-3 in 2017 is he secure? As LU moves to a full FS schedule the intensity increases to improve. Is Gill the man?

1) Gill is not going to be the Coach moving forward. 2 years max unless they start really winning 10-1.

After consecutive mediocre seasons in the BSC without at least a playoff appearance, claiming another "Big South Conference Title", which is lame, is not enough. Don't know if 10-1 is needed, but I'm guessing 8-3 and a FCS playoff appearance or he's toast, especially with the FBS schedule looming in 2018. I elieve he has 2 years to go on his present contract, which likely is not an issue if he has another so so season.
05-19-2017 10:34 AM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Coach Gill is Liberty to the core and gets our mission. His response to BYD's A Sea of Red's editorial on all the spring departures encapsulates why he is the right man for us right now.

Click here for Gill Letter to A Sea of Red

As for Chadwell, the more we learn about what he was doing to win down at Chuck South the more comfortable I am in him not landing in Lynchburg. Great coach but I don't think we'd be reading what was in the above letter if he were running the show. That may be presumptuous, but that's my gut feeling.

And yes, the results need to improve.
05-19-2017 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewTimes Offline
All American

(05-19-2017 11:11 AM)SlyFox Wrote:  Coach Gill is Liberty to the core and gets our mission. His response to BYD's A Sea of Red's editorial on all the spring departures encapsulates why he is the right man for us right now.

Click here for Gill Letter to A Sea of Red

As for Chadwell, the more we learn about what he was doing to win down at Chuck South the more comfortable I am in him not landing in Lynchburg. Great coach but I don't think we'd be reading what was in the above letter if he were running the show. That may be presumptuous, but that's my gut feeling.

And yes, the results need to improve.
Nice article by Gill. Seems everyone agrees he is a good man, and the right man when hired for Liberty. The question is not about his character but his ability to develop the program to a a higher level that FBS demands. I hope he has a strong 2017 that will support him in '18 and beyond. But the nature of his position, like all college coaches is to be a good person and a good coach and win. Good guys that don't win don't coach long. That's the business/fanatical side of college sports.
05-19-2017 04:10 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
That's why my second sentence ends with those final two words. Hopefully he wins and the discussion becomes moot.
05-19-2017 04:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

army56mike Online

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
There will be no more FCS playoffs for us. We aren't eligible.
05-19-2017 07:20 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Gill's letter is exactly what any coach in America would say. Nothing to see there.

"Lastly, I believe that there is no better place for a young man than a Christian university."

Isn't Baylor a "Christian " university?
05-19-2017 07:35 PM
army56mike Online

HCTG's letter was very good. Yes it shares a message that most coaches share. It still contains the truth. And, I can see these words as truth based on Gill's character and actions.

I hope and trust that he will be successful at Liberty.

Re: the previous post, I don't know that Baylor is a Christian University. Not all schools that had that mission at one time remain so now, i.e.- SMU, TCU, BC, etc. In my experience there are very few Christ centered universities across the nation at any level, even if by name you would think so.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2017 08:08 PM by army56mike.)
05-19-2017 08:00 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(05-19-2017 08:00 PM)army56mike Wrote:  HCTG's letter was very good. Yes it shares a message that most coaches share. It still contains the truth. And, I can see these words as truth based on Gill's character and actions.

Re: the previous post, I don't know that Baylor is a Christian University. Not all schools that had that mission at one time remain so now, i.e.- SMU, TCU, BC, etc. In my experience there are very few Christ centered universities across the nation at any level, even if by name you would think so.

Sounds pretty judgmental.
05-19-2017 08:12 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(05-19-2017 10:34 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(05-19-2017 10:23 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

After consecutive mediocre seasons in the BSC without at least a playoff appearance, claiming another "Big South Conference Title", which is lame, is not enough. Don't know if 10-1 is needed, but I'm guessing 8-3 and a FCS playoff appearance or he's toast, especially with the FBS schedule looming in 2018. I elieve he has 2 years to go on his present contract, which likely is not an issue if he has another so so season.

10-1 with the only loss being Baylor or Jacksonville State would guarantee his job. 9-2 with losses to both would buy him another year. 8-3 starts to get dicey. There really isn't 3 teams on the schedule that are that hard but I say 8-3 would get him another year if he would have won the BSC. 7-4 or less and he is gone.
05-19-2017 09:32 PM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I really like Coach Gill as a person, but his coaching leaves a lot to be desired. I am quite pleased with his recruiting strategy of hitting Texas and Florida as opposed to Rocco's of mostly sticking to Virginia and some northern states. I just wish the results were there for Gill. I don't see how the results will get better as we move to stronger competition so I don't expect improvement. I hope Gill gets the results we want but I have serious doubts. I would have replaced him after last season but he's here and I will root like crazy for him to succeed!
05-19-2017 09:47 PM
army56mike Online

(05-19-2017 08:12 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  
(05-19-2017 08:00 PM)army56mike Wrote:  HCTG's letter was very good. Yes it shares a message that most coaches share. It still contains the truth. And, I can see these words as truth based on Gill's character and actions.

Sounds pretty judgmental.

Nothing wrong with judging as long as you hold yourself to the same right standard that you judge others by. Where would our world be if we didn't judge between right and wrong?
05-19-2017 11:35 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(05-19-2017 07:20 PM)army56mike Wrote:  There will be no more FCS playoffs for us. We aren't eligible.
Good catch AM. Forget the transition requirement. So an regular season record now becomes even more important.
05-20-2017 05:59 AM
Have_a_Gansett_2011 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Liberty/UMich.
(05-20-2017 05:59 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(05-19-2017 07:20 PM)army56mike Wrote:  There will be no more FCS playoffs for us. We aren't eligible.
Good catch AM. Forget the transition requirement. So an regular season record now becomes even more important.

I think now is a good time to revisit this. I sincerely hope Gill will be with us next year, but the culture of our beloved LU doesn't speak well for that sort of consistency and loyalty. With the Baylor win, what record does he need to survive? Before the season, I would have said 8-3 (thinking Baylor was a loss). Now, I wonder if he could squeak by with a 7-4 record and keep his job having that signature win (his 3rd over an FBS team w/ LU). Disclaimer: If we beat ISU, I think we're almost a lock for at least 8-3, maybe even 9-2. What say you guys?
09-14-2017 02:18 PM
army56mike Online

Much rides on the next two games. I fully expect to beat ISU. Based on the first two games, we should play JSU competitively. I don't expect to be challenged in the BSC other than KSU and CSU. You are correct, 8 wins should be the minimum we have. That will be enough to keep moving forward with positive momentum.
09-14-2017 04:06 PM
Advertisement

Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
I don't think we'll lose more than one this season. Gill should be solid. 04-cheers
09-14-2017 04:58 PM
WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
I'm guessing he will be around next season. The Baylor win was huge. I was not expecting that to be a W. The new OC seems to be doing a great job. Coach Gill seems like a class act coach which helps. I am curious to see how the coaching staff performs against the FBS schedules. Two seasons in FBS should be a good measuring stick for his future at LU.
09-14-2017 05:05 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I've been a big critic of Gill's recently but he's got the team running on all cylinders at the moment. I am impressed by how much Calvert has improved over last year. I am confident, barring a catastrophe, Gill has locked in staying for 2018. With an undefeated season or close to it, Gill likely would have offers to leave if he wanted.
09-14-2017 06:55 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

Honestly I think the Baylor win might make 8-3 a scenario that he is gone if it happens. That imo would show that Gill isn't the one beating these teams it's the players. Buckshot is a ridiculously good qb, potential NFL talent if he continues progressing, and the roster is pretty good all around. 3 losses to FCS teams would show the lack of consistency that is squarely on the shoulders of coaching. At this point I say 9-2 would limp him into next year. 10-1 he is comfortable and obviously 11-0 he stays.
09-14-2017 09:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.