Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big cuts looming for Wymoing
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Big cuts looming for Wymoing
University of Wyoming is going to cut $10m from it's budget, including $1m from the Athletic department or 8.3% of that budget

http://trib.com/news/local/education/uw-...e31a7.html

The downside of dependence on Institutional funding for athletics.
05-09-2017 02:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
RE: Big cuts looming for Wymoing
I think the only recourse for Wyoming is to form a new FBS conference with both Montana schools, all 4 Dakota schools, Colorado State, Air Force and New Mexico. Add Idaho and UTEP to go to 12.

MWC could go with Portland State, Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington and one of the California schools.

That might be a way for Wyoming to save money. They would still be with the mountain schools from the MWC.
05-09-2017 02:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
StinkyDuck Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Conference Chao
I'm a big supporter of Wyoming as I've spent most of my life in the state. But I don't see why they would leave the MWC and form another conference which in turn will bring in less revenue. Along with Colorado State and the others, I don't see them leaving either, especially with CSU eyeing the Big 12. The Montana schools have already been leery about going FBS, I don't think that conference would entice them to make the jump. I don't know much about the Dakota schools to say whether they would go for it.

When your in the 5th/6th best conference I just don't see going down to being in the worst in conference revenue.
05-09-2017 02:50 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(05-09-2017 02:50 AM)StinkyDuck Wrote:  I'm a big supporter of Wyoming as I've spent most of my life in the state. But I don't see why they would leave the MWC and form another conference which in turn will bring in less revenue. Along with Colorado State and the others, I don't see them leaving either, especially with CSU eyeing the Big 12. The Montana schools have already been leery about going FBS, I don't think that conference would entice them to make the jump. I don't know much about the Dakota schools to say whether they would go for it.

When your in the 5th/6th best conference I just don't see going down to being in the worst in conference revenue.

You're responding to a suggestion by David St, just keep that in mind.
05-09-2017 07:00 AM
StinkyDuck Offline
Water Engineer

I completely understand its just a suggestion. And I'm just giving my opinion on why I don't think it'll work. If he has his idea on why he thinks it would work I would like to hear it. I believe we all have ideas on how conferences and such should be set up. Some of mine are probably head scratching.
05-09-2017 07:15 AM
Advertisement

goofus Online
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(05-09-2017 02:07 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  University of Wyoming is going to cut $10m from it's budget, including $1m from the Athletic department or 8.3% of that budget

http://trib.com/news/local/education/uw-...e31a7.html

The downside of dependence on Institutional funding for athletics.

please use a capital uppercase M instead of a small lowercase m when abbreviating millions of dolllars.
05-09-2017 07:28 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Hate to see it happen to a program with so much tradition.
05-09-2017 07:55 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(05-09-2017 02:21 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  I think the only recourse for Wyoming is to form a new FBS conference with both Montana schools, all 4 Dakota schools, Colorado State, Air Force and New Mexico. Add Idaho and UTEP to go to 12.

MWC could go with Portland State, Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington and one of the California schools.

That might be a way for Wyoming to save money. They would still be with the mountain schools from the MWC.
lol

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
05-09-2017 08:35 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(05-09-2017 07:15 AM)StinkyDuck Wrote:  I completely understand its just a suggestion. And I'm just giving my opinion on why I don't think it'll work. If he has his idea on why he thinks it would work I would like to hear it. I believe we all have ideas on how conferences and such should be set up. Some of mine are probably head scratching.

his posts are known for being ridiculous here. I'm surprised he didn't put Wyoming in a conference with the Colorado School of Mines.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2017 08:40 AM by Hood-rich.)
05-09-2017 08:36 AM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
This surprised me. I'm in Oil sales and Wyoming has one of largest amounts of oil in the US. How have they not capitalized on that? Dakota boom drinking their milkshake?
05-09-2017 09:16 AM
StinkyDuck Offline
Water Engineer

When the oilfield crashed a couple of years ago they still haven't rebounded. It's starting to pick back up but no where in production as it was. Same goes for Utah and Colorado. Most of the locals in the oilfield get sent up to North Dakota for work. The companies are hiring again like crazy which is a positive sign, so hopefully soon it'll be back.
05-09-2017 09:27 AM
jacksfan29 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: So Dak St/CU
(05-09-2017 09:27 AM)StinkyDuck Wrote:  When the oilfield crashed a couple of years ago they still haven't rebounded. It's starting to pick back up but no where in production as it was. Same goes for Utah and Colorado. Most of the locals in the oilfield get sent up to North Dakota for work. The companies are hiring again like crazy which is a positive sign, so hopefully soon it'll be back.

It will be back, and then it will crash again. States need to stop relying on oil money, or instead of spending it like drunken sailors when it comes in, put some away for the inevitable crash.
05-09-2017 09:30 AM
StinkyDuck Offline
Water Engineer

That is so true! The town I live in now was relying on it too much now they are screwed. They should have sat money to the side for the down years.
05-09-2017 02:42 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(05-09-2017 07:28 AM)goofus Wrote:  please use a capital uppercase M instead of a small lowercase m when abbreviating millions of dolllars.

please spell dollars with just 2 L's
05-09-2017 02:46 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
I wonder if the timing of the announcement of our scheduling agreement was meant to lessen the sting. Wyoming and New Mexico are the two WAC/MWC programs that I miss playing and still root for. It sucks to see them making cuts.
05-09-2017 03:12 PM
The Sicatoka Offline
All American

I Root For: North Dakota
05-09-2017 03:57 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(05-09-2017 09:30 AM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  
(05-09-2017 09:27 AM)StinkyDuck Wrote:  When the oilfield crashed a couple of years ago they still haven't rebounded. It's starting to pick back up but no where in production as it was. Same goes for Utah and Colorado. Most of the locals in the oilfield get sent up to North Dakota for work. The companies are hiring again like crazy which is a positive sign, so hopefully soon it'll be back.

It will be back, and then it will crash again. States need to stop relying on oil money, or instead of spending it like drunken sailors when it comes in, put some away for the inevitable crash.

ND has billions in a trust fund that can't be touched until later without an overwhelming majority vote by the legislature. Money has been set aside. The State Education system has seen it's budget grow much more than other states, so it was cut back this year. Fat was trimmed but there was still a lot of bellyaching as since 2010 times has been were exceedingly good.

Wyoming has an even more natural resources based economy with coal and oil and nat gas, but an even bigger trust fund.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2017 04:10 PM by NoDak.)
05-09-2017 04:08 PM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
My guess is US gov't owns most of that land, and won't allow drilling to happen.
05-09-2017 06:18 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(05-09-2017 04:08 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(05-09-2017 09:30 AM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  

ND has billions in a trust fund that can't be touched until later without an overwhelming majority vote by the legislature. Money has been set aside. The State Education system has seen it's budget grow much more than other states, so it was cut back this year. Fat was trimmed but there was still a lot of bellyaching as since 2010 times has been were exceedingly good.

Wyoming has an even more natural resources based economy with coal and oil and nat gas, but an even bigger trust fund.

But it's still not THAT big. Wyoming's trust fund is about $5 billion. Alaska's is about $40 billion.
05-10-2017 11:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.