Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important track/cross country signing
Bookmark and Share
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
Important track/cross country signing
Rather than go back and dig up the last track-tinged thread ("Spring Sports", which was 2 years ago), I'll begin a new one. This signing is a big deal. *Major* coup for Watts:

Watts lands Varghese

Also, they picked up MaKayla Shaw, too, but Varghese is a biggie. Really can hardly believe it.
04-18-2017 05:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Heisman

RE: Important track/cross country signing
Varghese won the state 3200 today.
05-27-2017 02:38 AM
Heisman

He just finished second (by 1 second) in the "New Balance Nationals Outdoor" 5000, over in Greensboro, to Ryan Oosting from Arlington, MA. Varghese led most of the second half, but got nipped the last 30m by Oosting - who's just finished the 10th grade.

Don't see any West Coast guys in the field, so not sure how totally "Nationals" it is. I've seen in the past a situation where they have multiple "nationals" for East and West coast, but don't know if this is an example of that or not.

Mostly for Running_Fool (but it is a nice race to watch):

Oosting vs. Varghese battle, with commentary

[And yes, I know......no one has posted anything about the exploits of (*All-American*) Katrina Seymour. I've been to busy to, but maybe later. And that *is* a big deal. Should get it's own thread.]
06-18-2017 02:26 AM
Heisman

Varghese's first meet:

VT Invitational
09-27-2017 02:58 PM
Heisman

Varghese update, including upcoming NCAAs appearance:

Varghese makes X-country nationals
11-15-2018 10:04 AM
Heisman

(11-15-2018 10:04 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Varghese update, including upcoming NCAAs appearance:

Varghese makes X-country nationals

Varghese finished a somewhat disappointing(??) 177th (out of 255) in very cold Madison. Northern Arizona won their 3rd straight team title. A dude for Furman, Aaron Templeton, finished 5th. The grouping was pretty tight, as one would expect from a stellar field. Varghese was 2:12 off the pace, but that's less than a minute from 77th place, for example.
11-19-2018 10:15 AM
Advertisement

etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
Ben Varghese went to my high school (I know him personally). He's the best runner I think out of all the great cross country teams we've had recently.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2018 07:38 PM by etsuandpurdue3.)
11-19-2018 07:38 PM
Heisman

(11-19-2018 07:38 PM)etsuandpurdue3 Wrote:  Ben Varghese went to my high school (I know him personally). He's the best runner I think out of all the great cross country teams we've had recently.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but his PRs were slower than both Josh Routh (also running for ETSU) and Adam Barnard (running for Georgetown now) at Boone. Barnard has run a 4:06+ mile at Georgetown, and a 3:50 1500. I *think* Routh red-shirted last season; far from sure. (Or maybe he is this year?) They're all 3 rather superb. Not hep on all Varghese's numbers, but I don't think he's sniffed 4:06, even tho the track is not his specialty. He and Watts know his numbers, and I don't think sub-4:10 is there. But I don't know that for a dead fact.
11-20-2018 01:17 AM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
(11-20-2018 01:17 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  
(11-19-2018 07:38 PM)etsuandpurdue3 Wrote:  Ben Varghese went to my high school (I know him personally). He's the best runner I think out of all the great cross country teams we've had recently.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but his PRs were slower than both Josh Routh (also running for ETSU) and Adam Barnard (running for Georgetown now) at Boone. Barnard has run a 4:06+ mile at Georgetown, and a 3:50 1500. I *think* Routh red-shirted last season; far from sure. (Or maybe he is this year?) They're all 3 rather superb. Not hep on all Varghese's numbers, but I don't think he's sniffed 4:06, even tho the track is not his specialty. He and Watts know his numbers, and I don't think sub-4:10 is there. But I don't know that for a dead fact.
I've just heard more out of him than both Benard and Routh.
11-24-2018 05:56 PM
Heisman

(11-24-2018 05:56 PM)etsuandpurdue3 Wrote:  
(11-20-2018 01:17 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  

I've just heard more out of him than both Benard and Routh.

That's what I suspected. And I further suspect it's because you were younger in school when Barnard, especially, was making his name. He got *plenty* of press and accolades. I'd say *at least* as much as Varghese. You might want to dig into that. But, in any event, they're all super great runners.
11-24-2018 10:57 PM
Heisman

Varghese male athlete-of-the-meet:

ETSU Invitational

However...….."a scintillating meet-record time of 4:07:30 in the one-mile run" is just very, very wrong. Or at best very, very misleading. There have been many sub-4 miles run in that meet - unless they're saying the earlier ones don't count because back then it had different names - which is a ridiculous argument. Sure, some, or most, of those were run by pros (including Flynn), but they were still in that "meet". I think Sydney Maree and Steve Scott ran sub-3:55. Maybe Kip Cheruiyot and Eamonn Coghlan did, too. Heck, maybe that big race with all those stars in it even Flynn did sub-3:55.

I'm very surprised Avento would make that huge of a mistake, unless he's using that name-change logic, which again, would be absurd. Or maybe he's talking just the college athletes, which again is almost certainly likely wrong. Either way, that's an extremely misleading statement - at best.

Not trying to diminish Varghese's accomplishment; just trying to contextualize it better.
02-04-2019 12:07 PM
Advertisement

Bucfreak23 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bucs
(02-04-2019 12:07 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Varghese male athlete-of-the-meet:

ETSU Invitational

However...….."a scintillating meet-record time of 4:07:30 in the one-mile run" is just very, very wrong. Or at best very, very misleading. There have been many sub-4 miles run in that meet - unless they're saying the earlier ones don't count because back then it had different names - which is a ridiculous argument. Sure, some, or most, of those were run by pros (including Flynn), but they were still in that "meet". I think Sydney Maree and Steve Scott ran sub-3:55. Maybe Kip Cheruiyot and Eamonn Coghlan did, too. Heck, maybe that big race with all those stars in it even Flynn did sub-3:55.

I'm very surprised Avento would make that huge of a mistake, unless he's using that name-change logic, which again, would be absurd. Or maybe he's talking just the college athletes, which again is almost certainly likely wrong. Either way, that's an extremely misleading statement - at best.

Not trying to diminish Varghese's accomplishment; just trying to contextualize it better.

Looks like records for the Bucaneer Invitational start in 2015 so he actually
did set a new record. Not sure what it was called before but his name is in record books for that named meet.
02-10-2019 10:09 PM
Heisman

Varghese finished 3rd this morning in the conference meet at Pine Oaks (30 seconds back), while the team finished second. Furple won both men's and women's, and the ETSU girls finished 4th:

SoCon XC meet at Pine Oaks

What's noteworthy about his meet is that it's the first time JC/ETSU has hosted a conference XC meet since 1968 - which is ridiculous in two major ways:

1) With all our incredible success in the '70s and '80s, no - didn't have one then.
2) We don't even have an outdoor track. Of course that doesn't mean there can't be a XC meet, but still, it remains a glaring embarrassment.

From reading the article, seems like all parties liked the course Watts laid out.
11-02-2019 04:19 PM
Buc76 Offline
Special Teams

Me and my 'gang' attended the meet. We were for homecoming and read about the meet in the paper and decided to go. We really enjoyed it. Good crowd, fans really into it. Talked to several of the visiting athletes, they were very complimentary. Thought the course was very good.
11-04-2019 02:15 PM
Buc76 Offline
Special Teams

In the mens division, Bucs had 5 runners in the top 15. We thought that was super considering the track team is not fully funded. Not complaining, just stating what we were told by parents that had kids on the Bucs team.
11-04-2019 02:19 PM
Buc76 Offline
Special Teams

No track? Is that a joke or poking fun. Every high school has a track. How do the coaches recruit with no track?
11-04-2019 02:37 PM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(11-04-2019 02:37 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  No track? Is that a joke or poking fun. Every high school has a track. How do the coaches recruit with no track?

They use Science Hills track which is as good as we need.
11-04-2019 03:10 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

(11-04-2019 03:10 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  
(11-04-2019 02:37 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  No track? Is that a joke or poking fun. Every high school has a track. How do the coaches recruit with no track?

No its not- ETSU needing a new outdoor track is one of the largest needs of the athletic department, and we should do better to support those student-athletes.
11-04-2019 06:14 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(11-04-2019 06:14 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  

No its not- ETSU needing a new outdoor track is one of the largest needs of the athletic department, and we should do better to support those student-athletes.

I have to disagree with this. Track is not the most important need right now. An on-campus basketball arena is, in my opinion, more important. We are playing in what used to be Science Hill's basketball arena right now. Track is important but is not a major sport like basketball is.
11-04-2019 07:04 PM
Heisman

(11-04-2019 07:04 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  
(11-04-2019 06:14 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  

I have to disagree with this. Track is not the most important need right now. An on-campus basketball arena is, in my opinion, more important. We are playing in what used to be Science Hill's basketball arena right now. Track is important but is not a major sport like basketball is.

Sorry. etsubuc (and myself) are right on this. It's truly an embarrassment to have an athletic dept. at the level of this university's 'profile', and not have a track facility (other than the Dome, which is still nice in and of itself). Just because track is not a "Tier I" sport doesn't mean it shouldn't be respected. If Science Hill's track was "as good as we need", then their football "stadium" should have been, too. And we all know that's ridiculous. And I only very slightly exaggerate for effect.
11-05-2019 02:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.