Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

G5 Conferences
Bookmark and Share
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
G5 Conferences
http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...abcf2.html

Anyone else find it funny that CUSA ADs are beginning to push for realignment.

It feels like the eastern based CUSA ADs are more willing to explore this idea. Perhaps I'm not as familiar with western news outlets to understand if the western members are as open.

I'm not so sure the SBC has as large an issue with travel based upon moves made and upcoming.
04-08-2017 08:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: G5 Conferences
Shrinking TV revenue is a CUSA problem, not a G5 problem. "Marketz" only bring TV money if your conference has a TV network. If you've got teams in big markets with no fan base the media rights will not be valuable, period.

I cannot figure out why this is so hard to accept for some.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 08:48 AM by EigenEagle.)
04-08-2017 08:46 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
The SBC is safe right now because of smart forward thinking and a few years of stability will solidify that. CUSA can't sustain itself in its current format. My theory is that CUSA will eventually bust especially if they're raided again. We could hold on has a conference and just pick up some former CUSA schools or use that opportunity to realign geographically into two new conferences. That's the only way I see this realignment thing playing out.
04-08-2017 08:56 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I just don't think chasing pennies is a real answer for their problems. Becoming the MAC of the eastern seaboard seems like a step backwards to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
04-08-2017 09:27 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

JMU was mentioned again, but unless CUSA loses a member I'm not sure there's room at the inn.
04-08-2017 09:28 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-08-2017 09:27 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  I just don't think chasing pennies is a real answer for their problems. Becoming the MAC of the eastern seaboard seems like a step backwards to me.

While I don't think merging the two leagues make sense, I think the Sun Belt should be the Aggressor and go after CUSA teams. IMHO, this makes SB possibly the 3rd best G5 by putting it on par with MAC. I think the SB could challenge MWC and AAC in the future. Sets up a very great regional conference with some very good football teams.

West of Mississippi
Texas St
Ark St
ULM
ULL
Rice or UTSA
So Miss

East of Mississippi
Coastal
Troy
USA
Ga So
GSU
App
04-08-2017 09:48 AM
Advertisement

Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
make 2 leagues from the ABC and CUSA.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
04-08-2017 09:50 AM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(04-08-2017 09:48 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 09:27 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  I just don't think chasing pennies is a real answer for their problems. Becoming the MAC of the eastern seaboard seems like a step backwards to me.

While I don't think merging the two leagues make sense, I think the Sun Belt should be the Aggressor and go after CUSA teams. IMHO, this makes SB possibly the 3rd best G5 by putting it on par with MAC. I think the SB could challenge MWC and AAC in the future. Sets up a very great regional conference with some very good football teams.

West of Mississippi
Texas St
Ark St
ULM
ULL
Rice or UTSA
So Miss

East of Mississippi
Coastal
Troy
USA
Ga So
GSU
App

Southern Miss is east of the Mississippi.

Otherwise, this intrigues me.
04-08-2017 10:02 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
The interesting difference here is that the SBC is more prepared for financial issues than most of CUSA because we never had TV money to begin with. Any TV money we actually get is a certain raise.

Many CUSA programs built athletic budgets around 7 figure TV revenue. Now they get 200K. That's tough for anyone at this level to deal with. Problem is, there are certain CUSA programs who would rather face football obscurity than join the Sun Belt.
04-08-2017 10:29 AM
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(04-08-2017 10:29 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  The interesting difference here is that the SBC is more prepared for financial issues than most of CUSA because we never had TV money to begin with. Any TV money we actually get is a certain raise.

Many CUSA programs built athletic budgets around 7 figure TV revenue. Now they get 200K. That's tough for anyone at this level to deal with. Problem is, there are certain CUSA programs who would rather face football obscurity than join the Sun Belt.

Not to mention the CUSA schools are still paying off that entrance/exit fee.

They need change much more than us. Let's wait and see what happens. We have a good thing going. Let's not dilute it too quickly.
04-08-2017 10:40 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I would be okay with some combination of MTSU, ODU, WKU, Marshall, Southern Miss, and UTSA (great fan support and attendance).

Offer to split the exit fees among our member schools. We are pretty much just one round of realignment from a real separation of us from them.
04-08-2017 10:40 AM
Advertisement

bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
This appears to be a CUSA issue, so why should any SBC member be concerned at this time. We have stability and economic success within the SBC. Let's CUSA implode and pickup Southern Miss and UAB.
04-08-2017 10:58 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I am perfectly happy with our lineup and our trajectory.

Why do we have to blow up our conference because CUSA teams that left us, and don't want us, had unrealistic expectations?

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 11:02 AM by ark30inf.)
04-08-2017 11:02 AM
SENOREIDA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal
(04-08-2017 11:02 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  I am perfectly happy with our lineup and our trajectory.

Why do we have to blow up our conference because CUSA teams that left us, and don't want us, had unrealistic expectations?

If they die, they die. Why should we through out life preservers because of someone else's stupid decisions. If they fail the money pot gets larger for us.
[Image: 6qtrr.gif]
04-08-2017 11:08 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-08-2017 11:08 AM)SENOREIDA Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 11:02 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  I am perfectly happy with our lineup and our trajectory.

If they die, they die. Why should we through out life preservers because of someone else's stupid decisions. If they fail the money pot gets larger for us.
[Image: 6qtrr.gif]

This is Darwinism man. You throw out life preservers to the schools you think deserve one, while "accidentally" throwing the schools you don't like in your current league overboard to lighten the load.
04-08-2017 11:49 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2017 11:45 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 11:36 AM)FriscoDawg Wrote:  More or Less Inevitable? My take is strongly LESS.

No viable proposal is mentioned in that article, and it wasn't worth the few minutes that I wasted reading it.

I think some sort of realignment between the two leagues is inevitable simply because I'm not sure either league can continue at it's current alignment for much longer.

I am not sure Geography is the answer. While it works well on paper for the former FCS schools in the East, it doesn't work particularly well for everyone else.

Give it to an ODU beat writer for proposing a model that is wonderful for ODU and terrible for everyone else. Our beat writer would probably propose a model that includes sending Arkansas State to FCS so he can attend more Razorback games.

What does this mean, chiefsfan?

Didn't want to derail the thread on the CUSA board.

Do you think travel costs are too burdensome for the Sun Belt when a sizeable number of schools wanted NMSU for all sports?
04-08-2017 12:07 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2017 12:07 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 11:45 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 11:36 AM)FriscoDawg Wrote:  More or Less Inevitable? My take is strongly LESS.

No viable proposal is mentioned in that article, and it wasn't worth the few minutes that I wasted reading it.

I think some sort of realignment between the two leagues is inevitable simply because I'm not sure either league can continue at it's current alignment for much longer.[/B]

I am not sure Geography is the answer. While it works well on paper for the former FCS schools in the East, it doesn't work particularly well for everyone else.

Give it to an ODU beat writer for proposing a model that is wonderful for ODU and terrible for everyone else. Our beat writer would probably propose a model that includes sending Arkansas State to FCS so he can attend more Razorback games.

What does this mean, chiefsfan?

Didn't want to derail the thread on the CUSA board.

Do you think travel costs are too burdensome for the Sun Belt when a sizeable number of schools wanted NMSU for all sports?

Does it really push us that much closer to bankruptcy to send tennis to Georgia Southern or App rather than to FIU or UTEP?

This whole argument seems disingenuous. Hey, let's use 1-ply toilet paper...it's cheaper!

Somebody give me some real numbers.
04-08-2017 12:22 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-08-2017 10:02 AM)AppinVA Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 09:48 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

West of Mississippi
Texas St
Ark St
ULM
ULL
Rice or UTSA
So Miss

East of Mississippi
Coastal
Troy
USA
Ga So
GSU
App

Southern Miss is east of the Mississippi.

Otherwise, this intrigues me.

Just Division names. Not actual geography, you know like Louisville and ND being int he ACC. I just thought Southern Miss and getting either one those Texas school was a better fit for a west region.

If you want pure geography, then take two from UTEP, UTSA or Rice. 04-cheers
04-08-2017 01:28 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Lmao at all the CUSA fans who are talking about merging with the SBC when they were saying it would never happen a few months ago.
04-08-2017 01:46 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

good article, and just by their ADs and commissioner willing to make public statements speaks volumes, they realize their is big trouble with the current setup. I thought it was interesting the author noted that one of the bigger obstacles was the ADs and administrators swallowing their pride, especially the schools that left the SBC, and be willing to atleast talk with the SBC. The author mention that one possible solution was a regional conference in Olympic sports, with football and Basketball staying as is, personally, atleast from Apps view, I don't think they should accept that kind of deal, but, atleast at this moment, the SBC is in control, we shouldnt be in a hurry to make a deal, let them stew for a while, them maybe we can get something that's more advantageous for the SBC teams.
04-08-2017 02:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.