Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

HEY, BASKETBALL EXISTS: SEC has three in the Elite 8!
Bookmark and Share
Blue Dynasty Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kentucky
HEY, BASKETBALL EXISTS: SEC has three in the Elite 8!
Is there really not an NCAA Tournament thread on here? We really do live up to the reputation as a one-sport conference! Perhaps I overlooked it, I haven't been around much in weeks.

So that other sport, the uses the orange round ball, has their little event going on. Five SEC teams got in, we went 4-1 in the first round, and were a bonehead Vanderbilt play (purposely fouling with a one-point LEAD), from being 5-0.

Those four teams that did win went 3-1 in the second round, including two teams trouncing teams from the mighty ACC, Florida over Virginia, and South Carolina over Duke (!). Arkansas nearly made it 3-for-3 in SEC-over-ACC matchups in the second round, but the Tar Heels escaped by the skin of their teeth.

For those counting, the piddly-dink SEC, who "sucks and is the worst conference EVER in basketball", has three times as many Sweet 16 teams as the ACC... who've already lost 8 of the 9 who made the Big Dance.

SWEET 16

EAST
4) Florida -vs- 8) Wisconsin
3) Baylor -vs- 7) South Carolina

WEST
1) Gonzaga -vs- 4) West Virginia
2) Arizona -vs- 11) Xavier

MIDWEST
1) Kansas -vs- 4) Purdue
3) Oregon -vs- 7) Michigan

SOUTH
1) North Carolina -vs- 4) Butler
2) Kentucky -vs- 3) UCLA

Go Wildcats, Gamecocks, and Gators!!
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2017 01:20 AM by JRsec.)
03-19-2017 11:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: HEY, BASKETBALL EXISTS: SEC has three in the Sweet 16!
(03-19-2017 11:36 PM)Blue Dynasty Wrote:  Is there really not an NCAA Tournament thread on here? We really do live up to the reputation as a one-sport conference! Perhaps I overlooked it, I haven't been around much in weeks.

So that other sport, the uses the orange round ball, has their little event going on. Five SEC teams got in, we went 4-1 in the first round, and were a bonehead Vanderbilt play (purposely fouling with a one-point LEAD), from being 5-0.

Those four teams that did win went 3-1 in the second round, including two teams trouncing teams from the mighty ACC, Florida over Virginia, and South Carolina over Duke (!). Arkansas nearly made it 3-for-3 in SEC-over-ACC matchups in the second round, but the Tar Heels escaped by the skin of their teeth.

For those counting, the piddly-dink SEC, who "sucks and is the worst conference EVER in basketball", has three times as many Sweet 16 teams as the ACC... who've already lost 8 of the 9 who made the Big Dance.

SWEET 16

EAST
4) Florida -vs- 8) Wisconsin
3) Baylor -vs- 7) South Carolina

WEST
1) Gonzaga -vs- 4) West Virginia
2) Arizona -vs- 11) Xavier

MIDWEST
1) Kansas -vs- 4) Purdue
3) Oregon -vs- 7) Michigan

SOUTH
1) North Carolina -vs- 4) Butler
2) Kentucky -vs- 3) UCLA

Go Wildcats, Gamecocks, and Gators!!

One sport league? Well, we do have some baseball threads up! 03-lmfao

But yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised at the performance so far. I watched much of the South Carolina/Duke game tonight. Great showing by the Gamecocks.

I think we should note too that Arkansas gave UNC a great game even though they didn't win.
03-20-2017 01:39 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Let's see, the tournament selection is done largely on RPI. The ACC schools are all given a high quality status for wins and toughness. Therefore the ACC could come a cropper as they did this year and based on the danged computers and RPI they get 9 schools in.

This is why March Madness stinks beyond the round of 16. Most of those 9 ACC schools were set up with cupcakes in the first round while most of our 5 had to slug it out, as did the Big 10.

And the hype didn't stop with the ACC. The Big East got in a quite a few as well and have how many left?

IMO, no conference deserves more than 1/3rd of its schools in the tourney. Personally I would cap it around your top 4 or 5 schools. If the NCAA didn't try to starve the NIT out of existence a couple of decades ago we wouldn't have the ever expanding field of 68. Then every year we would get a good feel for how the top schools of each conference matched up.

I do see our initiative to improve our basketball paying dividends and I'm proud of our guys.

The real stink in all of this is that the ACC will earn tourney creds on this crappy performance that will pay them more than our 5 schools will get for having a much better showing. This is one reason the tourney is a form of NCAA welfare and it needs to be reformed in a major way. Plus it now makes the regular season an afterthought.
03-20-2017 03:52 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
Woo Pig Sooie

Hogs needed to score some points at the end of the game, refs didn't help but weren't the reason hogs lost.

I really wanted the hogs to advance just so we could get another shot at Kentucky.

Anyway, here are my picks for the current sweet 16 field:

UF vs S. Carolina
WVU vs Arizona
Kansas vs Michigan
North Carolina vs Kentucky

Final Four Glendale, AZ
S. Carolina vs WVU
Kansas vs Kentucky

WVU vs Kentucky

Kentucky
03-20-2017 04:38 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(03-20-2017 03:52 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Let's see, the tournament selection is done largely on RPI. The ACC schools are all given a high quality status for wins and toughness. Therefore the ACC could come a cropper as they did this year and based on the danged computers and RPI they get 9 schools in.

This is why March Madness stinks beyond the round of 16. Most of those 9 ACC schools were set up with cupcakes in the first round while most of our 5 had to slug it out, as did the Big 10.

And the hype didn't stop with the ACC. The Big East got in a quite a few as well and have how many left?

IMO, no conference deserves more than 1/3rd of its schools in the tourney. Personally I would cap it around your top 4 or 5 schools. If the NCAA didn't try to starve the NIT out of existence a couple of decades ago we wouldn't have the ever expanding field of 68. Then every year we would get a good feel for how the top schools of each conference matched up.

I do see our initiative to improve our basketball paying dividends and I'm proud of our guys.

The real stink in all of this is that the ACC will earn tourney creds on this crappy performance that will pay them more than our 5 schools will get for having a much better showing. This is one reason the tourney is a form of NCAA welfare and it needs to be reformed in a major way. Plus it now makes the regular season an afterthought.

Interesting that this might be the summer of basketball realignment. Thamel thinks Witchita State could be AAC bound. Gonzaga is worried about access to the NCAA tournament from mid majors and they'll do what is best for gonzaga and their heads are not in the sand.

Could be an interesting summer after all
03-20-2017 09:05 AM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(03-20-2017 09:05 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(03-20-2017 03:52 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Let's see, the tournament selection is done largely on RPI. The ACC schools are all given a high quality status for wins and toughness. Therefore the ACC could come a cropper as they did this year and based on the danged computers and RPI they get 9 schools in.

Interesting that this might be the summer of basketball realignment. Thamel thinks Witchita State could be AAC bound. Gonzaga is worried about access to the NCAA tournament from mid majors and they'll do what is best for gonzaga and their heads are not in the sand.

Wichita State fits logically into the AAC from a geography standpoint and in addition to basketball brings a historically strong baseball program as well.

Gonzaga is in a really tough place...not really sure what their options would be. Certainly i'm sure a conference like the MWC would take them...but that doesn't really address Gonzaga's concern if they are worried about NCAA tournament access.
03-20-2017 11:13 AM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(03-20-2017 11:13 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  
(03-20-2017 09:05 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  

Wichita State fits logically into the AAC from a geography standpoint and in addition to basketball brings a historically strong baseball program as well.

Gonzaga is in a really tough place...not really sure what their options would be. Certainly i'm sure a conference like the MWC would take them...but that doesn't really address Gonzaga's concern if they are worried about NCAA tournament access.
The Shockers could have won that game yesterday. Great program. The Gamecocks are really on a roll. I love it when the Dookies lose.
03-20-2017 12:14 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
HEY, BASKETBALL EXISTS: SEC has three in the Sweet 16!
Impressive showing by the SEC so far. Not sure what happened to the ACC this past weekend, it was shocking.
03-20-2017 02:42 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-20-2017 02:42 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Impressive showing by the SEC so far. Not sure what happened to the ACC this past weekend, it was shocking.

It's kind of the reverse of the SEC's football season, but for different reasons. The Big East and the ACC had 16 teams in the field between them. Only 3 remain. Both conferences were good, but the East Coast Basketball writers and AP voters had them all ranked too highly. They believed their own press, basically played most of their games in conference or with each other, with the December tourneys and challenges thrown in. Then add into the mix not knowing how neutral refs are going to make calls, playing in unfamiliar locations without huge home crowds in support of just your school and stuff happens.

The officiating has been pretty bad this year for the NCAA tourney. Add more commercial breaks and getting into a rhythm is difficult.

I was only shocked by Louisville's loss. I knew Arkansas could match up with Carolina and that South Carolina was more physical than Duke. IMO Kentucky, even with all of its stars, is more vulnerable to ups and downs than the other two.

Florida's point guard bewildered Virginia. Florida was just faster.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Butler beat the Heels.
03-20-2017 02:59 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2017 02:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-20-2017 02:42 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Impressive showing by the SEC so far. Not sure what happened to the ACC this past weekend, it was shocking.

It's kind of the reverse of the SEC's football season, but for different reasons. The Big East and the ACC had 16 teams in the field between them. Only 3 remain. Both conferences were good, but the East Coast Basketball writers and AP voters had them all ranked too highly. They believed their own press, basically played most of their games in conference or with each other, with the December tourneys and challenges thrown in. Then add into the mix not knowing how neutral refs are going to make calls, playing in unfamiliar locations without huge home crowds in support of just your school and stuff happens.

The officiating has been pretty bad this year for the NCAA tourney. Add more commercial breaks and getting into a rhythm is difficult.

I was only shocked by Louisville's loss. I knew Arkansas could match up with Carolina and that South Carolina was more physical than Duke. IMO Kentucky, even with all of its stars, is more vulnerable to ups and downs than the other two.

I'm not sure who all the ACC played OOC but Louisville played a lot of quality OOC opponents. Wichita St, Purdue, Indiana & Kentucky were all wins. The Cards were up by double digits on Baylor in the second half before tiring out from a quick turnaround in the Bahamas. Played a 9 or 9:30 pm game then turned around for a 2 or 2:30 game the next day. I think the ACC hype was deserved, for the most part, but mostly due to a weak bubble this year. Who else should have gotten in? Illinois State?
03-20-2017 04:44 PM
Blue Dynasty Offline
Bench Warmer

I think the physical nature of the SEC, one time considered a "finesse" conference, as the ACC largely is now (perhaps besides UVa!), is what's made the difference in the tournament games. Duke played SC in a physical "grinder" of a game that they seemed completely unprepared for, where it's just another day at the office when UK, UF, Arkansas, or whoever, is playing SC in that type of game. UNC seemed similarly uncomfortable with the Razorbacks. I think to a degree that at least had something to do with it.

FSU was similarly manhandled by Xavier, and Notre Dame, as sure-handed as they come in the nation in terms of not turning the ball over, seemed completely rattled by the style of WVU.

In the case of your Cardinals, I think it was just simply running into a buzzsaw - seems like we see this every year, a team gets red-hot at the right time, and even if you KNOW you've got the better team, when they are in such a groove, it's hard to overcome. Sometimes that hot team will eventually cool off at random in the regionals, and sometimes they ride it all the way to a championship - as was the case when UK lost in the 2014 NCAA Championship game to the red-hot UConn team... after beating, arguably, four better teams in the previous four games (Wichita State, Louisville, Michigan, Wisconsin). I am fairly certain UofL is better than Michigan, but not sure who in the country would have beaten the Wolverines in the last week with the way they're shooting. Just a bad time for the Cards to have that draw.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2017 04:57 PM by Blue Dynasty.)
03-20-2017 04:55 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-20-2017 04:44 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

I'm not sure who all the ACC played OOC but Louisville played a lot of quality OOC opponents. Wichita St, Purdue, Indiana & Kentucky were all wins. The Cards were up by double digits on Baylor in the second half before tiring out from a quick turnaround in the Bahamas. Played a 9 or 9:30 pm game then turned around for a 2 or 2:30 game the next day. I think the ACC hype was deserved, for the most part, but mostly due to a weak bubble this year. Who else should have gotten in? Illinois State?

Ole Miss, T.C.U., and possibly another PAC school. Big conferences should have a limit on the number of their schools they get in. 16 bids to the ACC and Big East was too many combined. For those 16 the two conferences have 3 remaining total and North Carolina / Butler assures there will be one less at least when we get to eight.
03-20-2017 04:58 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2017 04:58 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Ole Miss, T.C.U., and possibly another PAC school. Big conferences should have a limit on the number of their schools they get in. 16 bids to the ACC and Big East was too many combined. For those 16 the two conferences have 3 remaining total and North Carolina / Butler assures there will be one less at least when we get to eight.

I haven't looked at TCU but Ole Miss didn't have a tournament resume. Their best OOC win was against Memphis at home. They lost to VT, Creighton & Baylor. Their best win came in the last game of the season, against SC at home. They needed more key victories to be considered in my opinion.
03-20-2017 07:00 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-20-2017 07:00 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

I haven't looked at TCU but Ole Miss didn't have a tournament resume. Their best OOC win was against Memphis at home. They lost to VT, Creighton & Baylor. Their best win came in the last game of the season, against SC at home. They needed more key victories to be considered in my opinion.

Opinions are the problem. The tournament needs the regular season finish (not the conference tournament) to be the play in. Take the top 5 schools from each of the P conferences and Big East and the top two from all of the others. Then issue some at large bids if there are any slots left. To heck with the selection committee and rigged computers.
03-20-2017 10:17 PM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

(03-20-2017 07:00 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

TCU definitely didn't deserve to get in, we were 6-12 in Big 12 play tied for 7th in the league. Best OCC win was Illinois State and best conference win (before beating Kansas in the Big 12 tournament) was Iowa State in Fort Worth.
03-21-2017 07:56 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2017 04:55 PM)Blue Dynasty Wrote:  

I think the physical nature of the SEC, one time considered a "finesse" conference, as the ACC largely is now (perhaps besides UVa!), is what's made the difference in the tournament games. Duke played SC in a physical "grinder" of a game that they seemed completely unprepared for, where it's just another day at the office when UK, UF, Arkansas, or whoever, is playing SC in that type of game. UNC seemed similarly uncomfortable with the Razorbacks. I think to a degree that at least had something to do with it.

FSU was similarly manhandled by Xavier, and Notre Dame, as sure-handed as they come in the nation in terms of not turning the ball over, seemed completely rattled by the style of WVU.

In the case of your Cardinals, I think it was just simply running into a buzzsaw - seems like we see this every year, a team gets red-hot at the right time, and even if you KNOW you've got the better team, when they are in such a groove, it's hard to overcome. Sometimes that hot team will eventually cool off at random in the regionals, and sometimes they ride it all the way to a championship - as was the case when UK lost in the 2014 NCAA Championship game to the red-hot UConn team... after beating, arguably, four better teams in the previous four games (Wichita State, Louisville, Michigan, Wisconsin). I am fairly certain UofL is better than Michigan, but not sure who in the country would have beaten the Wolverines in the last week with the way they're shooting. Just a bad time for the Cards to have that draw.

Michigan was/is definitely hot & I was more worried about that game more than any other leading up to the Elite 8. Good luck to the Cats.
03-21-2017 09:25 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

RE: HEY, BASKETBALL EXISTS: SEC has three in the Elite 8!
Hey Blue Dynasty, I hope you don't mind but I changed the title of the thread for you! We have 3 teams in the elite 8 with 1 guaranteed to be in the final four! The SEC is Alive and Thriving in Hoops!
03-25-2017 01:22 AM
Blue Dynasty Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-25-2017 01:22 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Hey Blue Dynasty, I hope you don't mind but I changed the title of the thread for you! We have 3 teams in the elite 8 with 1 guaranteed to be in the final four! The SEC is Alive and Thriving in Hoops!

double thumbs-up from me, brother JR! What a great night of hoops for the league, thrilled with UK's performance and perhaps shutting up Mr. Ball once and for all. Florida-Wisconsin was the game of the tournament, and how about South Carolina continuing to just manhandle teams? Great showing for our league tonight in particular, and the whole tournament in general.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2017 04:39 AM by Blue Dynasty.)
03-25-2017 04:38 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
This really has been a great tournament...lots of close games.

I watched a little bit of each of the SEC games last night and obviously the Florida/Wisconsin game was amazing. I had assumed the Gators blew it when they let it go to overtime, but that final shot was spectacular.

I don't know what to think of South Carolina. As awesome as they've been, they look like a Final 4 team. How far can they go?
03-25-2017 06:01 AM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

The Wisconsin vs Florida game was definitely the game of this year's tournament and one of the more exciting games I can remember.

South Carolina has been able to impose their style on people.
03-25-2017 08:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.