Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ASN 24 hour operations to end at end of March
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
ASN 24 hour operations to end at end of March
Big news in college sports as the American Sports Network is ceasing operations out of their West Palm Beach studios at the end of March.

Sinclair will cease operations of the fledgling sports operation at the end of the month resulting in many questions around the national subchannel as well as their local sports coverage on Sinclair stations. Newsroom, production and master control teams will all be impacted.

Rumors are that remaining operations and outstanding obligations will be picked up by Campus Insiders, the sports news website based in Chicago.

Link: https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/3...t-sinclair
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 11:48 AM by sctvman.)
03-10-2017 11:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: ASN operations to end at end of March
Sounds like this just affects the 24 hour venture but likely isn't going to affect the sydicated broadcasts.
03-10-2017 11:39 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: ASN operations to end at end of March
So Campus Insiders takes over the existing contracts and has to convince someone to pick up the feed or it becomes all online only.
03-10-2017 11:41 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: ASN 24 hour operations to end at end of March
(03-10-2017 11:41 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  So Campus Insiders takes over the existing contracts and has to convince someone to pick up the feed or it becomes all online only.

Probably online only. CI has a channel on Sling, but not idea if that is on-demand or a live product like TV. But don't rule out that they'll find other TV stations to show games if that is the idea along with the OTT platform.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 11:58 AM by MWC Tex.)
03-10-2017 11:50 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(03-10-2017 11:39 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Sounds like this just affects the 24 hour venture but likely isn't going to affect the sydicated broadcasts.

Could be that. Guess will find out.
03-10-2017 12:03 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(03-10-2017 11:41 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  So Campus Insiders takes over the existing contracts and has to convince someone to pick up the feed or it becomes all online only.

Wait, are you saying this affects the syndicated broadcasts or no? I read this as just dealing with the 24-hour sports channel venture.
03-10-2017 12:05 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(03-10-2017 12:05 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Wait, are you saying this affects the syndicated broadcasts or no? I read this as just dealing with the 24-hour sports channel venture.

Hard to make from the article but said contractual obligations would be taken over by CI
03-10-2017 02:05 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(03-10-2017 02:05 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 12:05 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Hard to make from the article but said contractual obligations would be taken over by CI

That sounds like everything after re-reading that point.

Wonder if that would give CI a boost for the Sling channel. Anybody have seen this yet? I have no idea if its a linear(TV) type programming with the OTT platform or just on demand type content.
03-10-2017 02:35 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
It seemed destined to failure from the start. They can probably survive as a syndication of games.
03-10-2017 03:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

Looks like Matt Sarzniak has concluded ASN is shutting down everything.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2017/...twork.html

And more speculation on the fall out from Underdog Dynasty.

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/3/10...ein-sports
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 03:19 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-10-2017 03:15 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(03-10-2017 03:08 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  It seemed destined to failure from the start. They can probably survive as a syndication of games.

Yeah, it seems Sinclair didn't put a full effort to developing it whole heartily...especially with the stations that they owned. They didn't put many games on the .1 channel...although that would be impossible with the Major networks they affiliate with, The CW stations had a couple of games on the main channel.

I did think the AZ bowl was produced well and the quality of that game was good, but I do see that most of the TV stations was on SD and even though SD can be quite decent, it wasn't always at the best quality since they didn't allocate a bigger mhz with some stations have 5 sub-channels taking up a bit of space.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 03:57 PM by MWC Tex.)
03-10-2017 03:49 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

If I was Ion Media, I'd buy the ASN contracts and operations and make it into ION Sports Network. ION has pretty good coverage OTA and is on cable to and really could use a sports arm to boost their programming.
03-10-2017 04:00 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

ASN didn't quite figure out what they wanted to be and some of the market assignments were absolutely nuts.
I know one Saturday I flipped over to antenna (Direct doesn't carry local subchannels) to see how UNT was doing and the Little Rock station was carrying a Division III game out of Iowa (coaches were taller than nearly all of the players). Another Saturday I see on twitter there is a barnburner game on ASN involving CUSA teams, switch over and Wagner is on.

I was actually interested when ASN was launched thinking it would regional stuff that was more niche than ESPN but instead was hyper-niche content most of the time.
03-10-2017 04:12 PM
Advertisement

sctvman Offline
1st String

They started going the cheap route this year as they picked up more games. Most of the CAA games they televised this year were done from either Kansas City or West Palm Beach. They hired some good announcers who did a lot of work at other syndicators (Dave Armstrong, Doug Bell, Mark Adams to name a couple), but most of the games had poor camera work and you could tell they were broadcasting it remotely.

Also, the packages were hard to find. Unless you had one of those pass-through RSNs (CSN California, Altitude, CSN Chicago) that carried games, it was hard to watch some of the games. The Big South basketball package, for example, only aired on a subchannel locally, even though there is a Big South team (Charleston Southern) in our market.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 04:36 PM by sctvman.)
03-10-2017 04:36 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-10-2017 04:12 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  ASN didn't quite figure out what they wanted to be and some of the market assignments were absolutely nuts.
I know one Saturday I flipped over to antenna (Direct doesn't carry local subchannels) to see how UNT was doing and the Little Rock station was carrying a Division III game out of Iowa (coaches were taller than nearly all of the players). Another Saturday I see on twitter there is a barnburner game on ASN involving CUSA teams, switch over and Wagner is on.

I was actually interested when ASN was launched thinking it would regional stuff that was more niche than ESPN but instead was hyper-niche content most of the time.

I knew they were not a serious player when they never landed an affiliate in Houston.
03-10-2017 05:14 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(03-10-2017 05:14 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 04:12 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  ASN didn't quite figure out what they wanted to be and some of the market assignments were absolutely nuts.

I knew they were not a serious player when they never landed an affiliate in Houston.

I can recall tuning in to ASN maybe one time? I think this past bowl season, they had one bowl game, a low end out west game involving Air Force?

I had never even heard of ASN and had to search the nether reaches of my cable listings to find it, and to my surprise it was there.

That's it, so not surprised it's folding up.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 08:32 AM by quo vadis.)
03-13-2017 08:18 AM
sctvman Offline
1st String

They had the Arizona Bowl. In our area it aired OTA because we have a Sinclair station, but there were MANY markets that didn't. Charlotte never aired it on a major station, neither did Orlando or Miami.
03-13-2017 09:40 AM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

It lives!!!

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...39656.html

American Sports Network, Campus Insiders, 120 Sports and Silver Chalice (parent of Campus Insiders) will all merge together into a to be named conglomerate.
04-13-2017 09:46 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Good news for those that will be able to watch their teams again.
04-13-2017 09:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.