Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

National Anthem
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

As an American war veteran I come in contact with many other veterans at group functions. I also mingle with veterans at athletic events. Within the groups I mention there is growing resentment concerning the way the National Anthem is commonly presented on public occasions. We feel that the stylized presentation of the anthem is an insult to the flag, the nation, our citizens and our veterans. Several veterans have requested of the athletic director not to provide singers who distort the anthem at any future games. Some veterans have obligated themselves to present the problem to local, state and national bodies of the VFW and American Legion. We would ask that all Americans join us in preserving the true National Anthem of the United States.
03-05-2005 09:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

1ndabag Offline
1st String

I Root For: Abp. Rummel

Observer Wrote:As an American war veteran I come in contact with many other veterans at group functions. I also mingle with veterans at athletic events. Within the groups I mention there is growing resentment concerning the way the National Anthem is commonly presented on public occasions. We feel that the stylized presentation of the anthem is an insult to the flag, the nation, our citizens and our veterans. Several veterans have requested of the athletic director not to provide singers who distort the anthem at any future games. Some veterans have obligated themselves to present the problem to local, state and national bodies of the VFW and American Legion. We would ask that all Americans join us in preserving the true National Anthem of the United States.
I am in 100% total agreement with you and the disgruntled vets (check the verbage at the bottom of my signature). It's disrespectful and it's out of control. Singing the National Anthem before a ball game is an honor. It's not a time to show off and try to showcase your "talents". It's not an episode of American Idol. It's about a group of Americans gathered to enjoy a ball game taking a moment to pay respect to our flag, our country, and the folks who serve and protect. Just sing the song, as best you can, THE WAY IT WAS WRITTEN. The spotlight is not supposed to be on you (the singer), it's supposed to be on the flag.

The absolute worst I heard was this season during the Saturday game against Arizona St at Zephyr. It was actually a military guy singing it. I thought when I saw the uniform that we'd get a respectful rendition of the Anthem. It was unbelievable how much he butchered the song. Disgraceful. It was so bad I did what I had never done before; I took my hat off my heart, put it on my head, and sat down because what this goofball was singing was not really the National Anthem anyway.

Good luck to the vets in their efforts. If I see what they're doing I will offer to assist.

Rant over. :mad:
03-05-2005 11:06 AM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

I reacted exactly the same way. Furthermore, I have sworn to do the same whenever I hear the anthem sung improperly.
03-05-2005 05:14 PM
Advertisement

Wavebacker Offline
All American

I Root For: Toolane.....

I hear what you're saying, but the right to sing the National Anthem in any way of your choosing represents the very American ideal of Freedom of self-expression. I think that's a good thing, it encorporates the variety, diversity and creativity of our Nation. Many versions of the National Anthem have been sung very well outside of the "normal" way one would come to expect. Some renditions, like when children sing it, can be very poignant. As long has the Anthem is sung well, properly and respectfully, I dont mind variations in it's presentation.
03-06-2005 09:19 PM
1ndabag Offline
1st String

Wavebacker Wrote:I hear what you're saying, but the right to sing the National Anthem in any way of your choosing represents the very American ideal of Freedom of self-expression. I think that's a good thing, it encorporates the variety, diversity and creativity of our Nation. Many versions of the National Anthem have been sung very well outside of the "normal" way one would come to expect. Some renditions, like when children sing it, can be very poignant. As long has the Anthem is sung well, properly and respectfully, I dont mind variations in it's presentation.
To each his own. To me stylizing it so that the focus is you and not the flag is not "proper and respectful." It is typical, though, of our "it's all about me" culture. The concept of "diversity" is thrown around quite a bit as well as if it's value is so inherernt and universally agreed upon that to cite some contribution to "diversity" somehow makes any activity automatically worthwhile. Sort of like the way invoking the term "free speech" is supposed to automatically justify any half-baked expression of thought (unless, of course, it upsets the left), and the imaginary legal construct "seperation of Church and state" is invoked to automatically justify any assault on Christianity.
03-07-2005 10:29 AM
Advertisement

uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

I agree with you whole heartedly about the improper of choose of "separation of church and state". It has been bastardized into being used as an assault on Christian values. Much the same way that the Civil rights movement is now being used to justify gay marriages :mad: (that really pisses me off).

But on the terms of the national anthem, I have to say as long as it is sung well, I appreciate it. Actually the version that upsets me the most is when some opera wannabe starts hacking it up and trying to show their rane and how long they can hold a note. But as long as it is being sung, I will respect it.
03-07-2005 11:24 AM
1ndabag Offline
1st String

Where y'at mump?

Congrats to the coogs on the series win this weekend vs ULM.

Good luck in the CUSA basketball tourney. We actually squeaked in as a 12 seed but I don't see us lasting very long. :rolleyes: I think we've got DePaul first.
03-07-2005 12:13 PM
Advertisement

uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

Crappies

I am in Missouri City a suburb of Houston.

Congrats to you guys on making the tourney. As we know from experience that is easier said than done.

I still stand by what I said when you guys beat us earlier this year. Your team should pick up the tempo more. Your point guard was born to run up and down the floor and you have excellant shooters to kick the ball out to on a drive to the basket. We only got back into the game when you guys started to try to run your set offense.

Good luck against Depaul!!
03-07-2005 12:42 PM
1ndabag Offline
1st String

uhmump95 Wrote:I am in Missouri City a suburb of Houston.
:rofl:

Actually mump where y'at is a N.O. expression that's a greeting. It means more like "how you doing?" than "where are you located?".

I think it originated amongst musicians who, when they saw one another floating around in the Quarter would ask, "Where y'at?", meaning, what club are you playing tonight? It caught on.

04-drinky
03-07-2005 01:26 PM
Advertisement

uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

Crappies

Now I feel really smart :bang:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
03-07-2005 01:47 PM
lauramac Offline

I Root For: ,
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesBlazerTalk AwardNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

uhmump95 Wrote:Now I feel really smart :bang:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I got fooled too, mump. :laugh:
03-07-2005 03:30 PM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

uhmump95 Wrote:But on the terms of the national anthem, I have to say as long as it is sung well, I appreciate it. Actually the version that upsets me the most is when some opera wannabe starts hacking it up and trying to show their rane and how long they can hold a note. But as long as it is being sung, I will respect it.
Well, myself, nor any veterans I know agree with your sentiments here. And if it isn't sung right, I don't respect it.
03-07-2005 08:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.