Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question for my Sun Belt friends...
Bookmark and Share
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
Question for my Sun Belt friends...
I made the point on the UAB board that given the chance to leave CUSA for the Belt right now, I'd be all for it. Obviously this isn't a very popular opinion. The reasons I cited are UAB would have more in state rivals in the Belt (Troy, USA) and it would be a better regional fit (NC to East TX as opposed to Northern VA to West TX). I also believe the two conferences are relatively equal in quality of football programs and the Sun Belt has been performing better in basketball (largely thanks to Little Rock and UTA).

As far as finances, Sun Belt splits their share of football money with a smaller group of schools, travel cost would be reduced, and our new TV doesn't pay out much more than the Belt's current deal.

So my question is, how would fans of current Sun Belt programs feel about leaving the Belt for CUSA. Would you still consider it an upgrade, like it was in the past, or would you consider it a lateral move at best.
01-04-2017 04:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
RE: Question for my Sun Belt friends...
There have been a multitude of threads that have touched on this, I don't blame you for asking since you probably aren't around much on this board. Consensus from SB teams is that we see it as basically a lateral move at this point.
01-04-2017 04:49 PM
Meathead Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: AppState
Hey, we've only been at this FBS thing for 3 years but I have been really happy in the SunBelt, and I would not be a fan of leaving to join CUSA as it stands now, I'd certainly not consider it an upgrade. That being said, there are some teams in CUSA that I'd like to be in a conference with and I look forward to one day when conferences are realigned more regionally to offset travel costs, build better rivalries, and encourage attendance.
01-04-2017 04:53 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

(01-04-2017 04:49 PM)boroeagle2 Wrote:  There have been a multitude of threads that have touched on this, I don't blame you for asking since you probably aren't around much on this board. Consensus from SB teams is that we see it as basically a lateral move at this point.

Sorry. I never visit this board. Thanks for the response though and I agree. Congrats on a good bowl season.
01-04-2017 04:58 PM
8993 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Moving from the Sun Belt to CUSA or MAC would be a lateral move, at best. The Sun Belt has upped the ante quite a bit, so I am very happy with where we currently stand. Do I wish for greener pastures? Of course. Who doesn't? Do I think the Sun Belt is the right fit for App at this time, though? Most definitely.

I would still love to see a regional realignment of both conferences so there aren't two conference in the same footprint in the G5, but we can only dream so far for so long.
01-04-2017 05:05 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

(01-04-2017 05:05 PM)rknj8993 Wrote:  Moving from the Sun Belt to CUSA or MAC would be a lateral move, at best. The Sun Belt has upped the ante quite a bit, so I am very happy with where we currently stand. Do I wish for greener pastures? Of course. Who doesn't? Do I think the Sun Belt is the right fit for App at this time, though? Most definitely.

I would still love to see a regional realignment of both conferences so there aren't two conference in the same footprint in the G5, but we can only dream so far for so long.

Absolutely and eventually I believe this will be necessary to survive in a G5 conference. The quality of MAC football and basketball overall may be pretty poor but they are by far the most geographically well aligned G5 conference there is. I'd love to see something similar for the Sun Belt and CUSA.
01-04-2017 05:10 PM
Advertisement

Tiguar Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
Cusa ain't what it used to be. Meaningless move with multiple draw backs. Only attraction for USA is USM/UAB, and we're developing rivalries in lieu of those games.
01-04-2017 05:17 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(01-04-2017 04:37 PM)BlazintheATL Wrote:  So my question is, how would fans of current Sun Belt programs feel about leaving the Belt for CUSA. Would you still consider it an upgrade, like it was in the past, or would you consider it a lateral move at best.

Not only no, but hail no.
01-04-2017 05:19 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(01-04-2017 04:37 PM)BlazintheATL Wrote:  I made the point on the UAB board that given the chance to leave CUSA for the Belt right now, I'd be all for it. Obviously this isn't a very popular opinion. The reasons I cited are UAB would have more in state rivals in the Belt (Troy, USA) and it would be a better regional fit (NC to East TX as opposed to Northern VA to West TX). I also believe the two conferences are relatively equal in quality of football programs and the Sun Belt has been performing better in basketball (largely thanks to Little Rock and UTA).

As far as finances, Sun Belt splits their share of football money with a smaller group of schools, travel cost would be reduced, and our new TV doesn't pay out much more than the Belt's current deal.

So my question is, how would fans of current Sun Belt programs feel about leaving the Belt for CUSA. Would you still consider it an upgrade, like it was in the past, or would you consider it a lateral move at best.

Every school has it's own circumstances obviously.

For AState, we are 300 miles from the nearest conference football school whether we are in CUSA or Sun Belt.

Our older fans would like to play USM and to a lesser degree LaTech. I'm not sure our younger fans see either as any more significant than App or the Cajuns and the fans a tad older who grew up more on SBC football would throw Troy in, while the last 8 years or so fans not as up for Troy as the rest of us.

It would depend on what we are trading Sun Belt for and the cost. It's not worth a $2 million exit and $2 million entry for us to join CUSA as currently aligned. If it were a CUSA that was all central time zone, yeah we might do that.
01-04-2017 05:19 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(01-04-2017 04:37 PM)BlazintheATL Wrote:  I made the point on the UAB board that given the chance to leave CUSA for the Belt right now, I'd be all for it. Obviously this isn't a very popular opinion. The reasons I cited are UAB would have more in state rivals in the Belt (Troy, USA) and it would be a better regional fit (NC to East TX as opposed to Northern VA to West TX). I also believe the two conferences are relatively equal in quality of football programs and the Sun Belt has been performing better in basketball (largely thanks to Little Rock and UTA).

Lateral move now, anyone that considers it an upgrade after this year is just living in the past and will not accept the new reality of CUSA. It was the worst conference in football this year. Only would move if it made geographic sense. We are probably better in baseball now with CCU on board. Plus with less teams we keep more of the playoff money per team and our TV deal can be lower and we still might actually get more per team. Pretty much makes zero sense to move unless its with another really close team or teams.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 05:35 PM by JCGSU.)
01-04-2017 05:32 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State

They are fine schools, but I never felt FIU or FAU fit with us culturally. I am thrilled that we have App State and GaSo because I think they have similar culture and outlook. I really like the SBC lineup top to bottom better than previous SBC lineups. I wouldn't be in favor of breaking that up.
01-04-2017 06:43 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
No G5 is perfect, but my view is this.

Sure, I'd like to play with USM, but will USM still be around if there's more realignment?

I don't see spending 4 million bucks (which is basically the next for 6 payday games) as a real value for money proposition. CUSA also involves more expense for no better of a product.

CUSA is also too big and is more likely to take hits in future realignment scenarios.

---

USA has a conference history with a LOT of CUSA programs (ODU, UNCC, MTSU, WKU, UAB, FIU, FAU, LTU) and has a long standing multisport rivalry with USM. But even for USA....its a tough sell to forego the net receipts from 6 years of payday games.
01-04-2017 06:56 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I think what you'll find is that there might be one or two schools in each league who could see the reasons behind a switch, but not with current entrance/exit fees set up.

If there was a geographical realignment, I think you'd find more schools interested.
01-04-2017 07:08 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
Yes. We're in. Where do we sign?

Oh, wait. Were you talking about Idaho?
01-04-2017 07:16 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
I have no idea about their administrations views, but I think Cajun fans and Texas State fans would support their program moving to CUSA. For ULL, I think it would be for perception and Texas State would be able to play their Texas brethren.

I think, with exception to our Idaho and NMSU friends, everyone is pretty happy with the direction of the conference. There's still a long way to go... I'm not a basketball fan but I think that is our greatest need - We're leaving too much money on the table.
01-04-2017 07:41 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

(01-04-2017 07:41 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  I have no idea about their administrations views, but I think Cajun fans and Texas State fans would support their program moving to CUSA. For ULL, I think it would be for perception and Texas State would be able to play their Texas brethren.

I think, with exception to our Idaho and NMSU friends, everyone is pretty happy with the direction of the conference. There's still a long way to go... I'm not a basketball fan but I think that is our greatest need - We're leaving too much money on the table.

I can understand Texas State, they are somewhat of an outlier in the conference and would be a better geographical fit in CUSA. I'm curious about what you mean with your last sentence. How is the Sun Belt leaving money on the table with basketball?
01-04-2017 07:48 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-04-2017 07:16 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  Yes. We're in. Where do we sign?

Actually, the conversation would go something like this:

CUSA: Yes, Mr. Staben, we're pleased to offer Idaho a membership into our league. We think your glowing reputation will help us grow:

Staben: Yeah, we're very interested. You guys are D2 right. I've been looking at dropping athletics to D2 for some time now to help finance our next research project

CUSA: Actually sir, we're in FBS.

Staben: Oh...well, we're very happy in the Big Sky, and are not interested in moving our athletic programs at this time...please do not call this number again. *click*
01-04-2017 08:47 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

With the Sunbelt and CUSA being equals now I don't see a move from one to another as a way to better one's self. However, it seems we are destined for a reorganization into more sensible geographic arrangements.
01-04-2017 08:56 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
(01-04-2017 08:47 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 07:16 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  Yes. We're in. Where do we sign?

Actually, the conversation would go something like this:

CUSA: Yes, Mr. Staben, we're pleased to offer Idaho a membership into our league. We think your glowing reputation will help us grow:

Staben: Yeah, we're very interested. You guys are D2 right. I've been looking at dropping athletics to D2 for some time now to help finance our next research project

CUSA: Actually sir, we're in FBS.

Staben: Oh...well, we're very happy in the Big Sky, and are not interested in moving our athletic programs at this time...please do not call this number again. *click*

I would laugh if I weren't crying.
01-04-2017 09:02 PM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

I don't think anyone would move from one conference to the other right now. It doesn't make any sense financially for either side. As others have said the only way to get anyone to jump would be a complete overhaul into regional conferences. If/when that happens I'll be excited to play some of the schools we would be paired with, but will also hate to lose a couple schools we currently play. I guess we could always setup some OOC games with them though.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 09:27 PM by JTApps1.)
01-04-2017 09:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.