Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Miami Beach Bowl
Bookmark and Share
Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stAte
Miami Beach Bowl
Just saw a pic on AAC board of that bowl game crowd. I know it was at 2:30 on a Monday, but it looked like about 400 people attended. How in the world can that bowl survive with that dismal showing? AAC owns the bowl. (for now) Might be on the chopping block if that continues.
12-20-2016 07:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
RE: Miami Beach Bowl
(12-20-2016 07:33 AM)Rik Flair Wrote:  Just saw a pic on AAC board of that bowl game crowd. I know it was at 2:30 on a Monday, but it looked like about 400 people attended. How in the world can that bowl survive with that dismal showing? AAC owns the bowl. (for now) Might be on the chopping block if that continues.

They ought to see how much TV money than can get from someone besides ESPN for it so that it can be a better time slot, if indeed all the other bowls have done on the better time slots. 2:30 on a non holiday Monday is a disaster.
12-20-2016 08:02 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
That is ridiculous.
1. Monday at 2:30pm with almost no promotion (at least non that I noticed)
2. Baseball stadium setup with poor viewing angles and seats extremely far away from the field
3. Miami, not know for being the best sports town.

Equals crappy attendance and no TV audience. Overall I think the SBC has some pretty good bowl locations and times, regardless of how one feels about their selection. Just think about the SBC having 6 teams bowling this year. That is pretty amazing.
12-20-2016 08:07 AM
moehler Offline
1st String

(12-20-2016 08:07 AM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  That is ridiculous.
1. Monday at 2:30pm with almost no promotion (at least non that I noticed)
2. Baseball stadium setup with poor viewing angles and seats extremely far away from the field
3. Miami, not know for being the best sports town.

Equals crappy attendance and no TV audience. Overall I think the SBC has some pretty good bowl locations and times, regardless of how one feels about their selection. Just think about the SBC having 6 teams bowling this year. That is pretty amazing.

this is a great example of one bowl too many, game cost MAC, and AAC a lot of money in terms of making up the difference in lack of ticket sales, and a city that could care less about supporting some obscure bowl on a Monday afternoon. The only groups that profited from this was the Miami bowl, which got their money no matter how many fans attended, and the players who got a lot of free stuff, and got to spend 3 or 4 days in Miami.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2016 08:45 AM by moehler.)
12-20-2016 08:44 AM
APPrising Offline
1st String

There was a bowl game yesterday? I really had no idea.
12-20-2016 09:14 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
same here. wish I would have known. Would have given me something to watch while I work.
12-20-2016 09:23 AM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

Several of the MAC and CUSA bowls are just in awful locations (for their conference/fans) during awful time slots. Anyone that complains about the SBC bowl games should just take a peak at our peer conferences' bowls.
12-20-2016 09:34 AM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
While a bowl in Hawaii sounds great for those who can afford the time off and cost, I'm glad it's not part of our conference.
12-20-2016 10:00 AM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

The non BCS bowls need to be a named sponsor only...not a set location. Predetermined time and date with a flexible location that's most convenient/centralized to the two teams chosen. That title sponsor can pre-select 3 potential locations, then choose based on which matchup will draw the best crowd to the best location. Come in and banner the hell out of it with your company/bowl logo and play in front of a decent crowd.

twitter.com/DieselOnRadio
12-20-2016 10:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
(12-20-2016 10:31 AM)APPdiesel Wrote:  I've said it before and I'll say it again...

The non BCS bowls need to be a named sponsor only...not a set location. Predetermined time and date with a flexible location that's most convenient/centralized to the two teams chosen. That title sponsor can pre-select 3 potential locations, then choose based on which matchup will draw the best crowd to the best location. Come in and banner the hell out of it with your company/bowl logo and play in front of a decent crowd.

Don't know how many of the problems that would solve though. Waiting for conferences to finish the regular season, pick teams then pick location would really narrow the window. For the early bowls you still have a relatively short turn around time for fans to travel. Plus hotels, possible flights will be expensive at this time of year.

Also I would assume the bowl would need to pay some sort of retainer to all 3 locations so they are available for this late selection process.
12-20-2016 10:52 AM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
(12-20-2016 10:31 AM)APPdiesel Wrote:  I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Hotel availability might be the problem. Also typical is the local hotel/motel associations are sponsors of the bowls and they might have an issue as well.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2016 11:34 AM by CajunAmos.)
12-20-2016 11:33 AM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

Miami Beach Bowl - upper AAC vs. mid-level MAC. Seems not a good combo for either conference.

Boca Raton Bowl - CUSA champ vs. Mid-Level AAC. Also, not great for either conference.

Bahamas - #3 CUSA vs. mid-level MAC. etc. etc. etc.

I'm glad stAte won, but playing a 6-6 AAC team doesn't move the needle for me. Rather have bowl games were G5 champ plays G5 champ or close to it.
12-20-2016 11:43 AM
moehler Offline
1st String

(12-20-2016 09:23 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  same here. wish I would have known. Would have given me something to watch while I work.

you probably wouldn't have watched for long, 55-10 final score
12-20-2016 11:55 AM
MobileBama1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: South Alabama
[Image: C0EB1kRUQAAix4I.jpg:large]
12-20-2016 12:33 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-20-2016 07:33 AM)Rik Flair Wrote:  Just saw a pic on AAC board of that bowl game crowd. I know it was at 2:30 on a Monday, but it looked like about 400 people attended. How in the world can that bowl survive with that dismal showing? AAC owns the bowl. (for now) Might be on the chopping block if that continues.

Because the AAC structures their bowl setup in tiers. The Miami Bowl is in the upper tier, so one of the better teams had to fill it. Unfortunately for Miami, all the upper tier AAC teams were located far away from the city.
12-20-2016 12:33 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-20-2016 11:43 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Miami Beach Bowl - upper AAC vs. mid-level MAC. Seems not a good combo for either conference.

Boca Raton Bowl - CUSA champ vs. Mid-Level AAC. Also, not great for either conference.

Bahamas - #3 CUSA vs. mid-level MAC. etc. etc. etc.

I'm glad stAte won, but playing a 6-6 AAC team doesn't move the needle for me. Rather have bowl games were G5 champ plays G5 champ or close to it.

If said AAC opponent is going to take the game as seriously as Central Florida did, then I'll gladly play terrible AAC opponents for the free wins.
12-20-2016 12:35 PM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

Oh I understand that. If App had the chance to beat the pants off a 6-6 ECU in Orlando i'd love it.

I'm just talking about the perception of the conference. I'd much rather co-champ stAte beat the crap out of a higher "ranked" team.
12-20-2016 12:41 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(12-20-2016 11:43 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  I'm glad stAte won, but playing a 6-6 AAC team doesn't move the needle for me. Rather have bowl games were G5 champ plays G5 champ or close to it.

I might normally agree with you, but their enrollment of 64,000 and metro area of 2.3 million (#26) got to reevaluate what they knew about Sun Belt football.

I also saw comments from a whole lot of USF fans who also noticed....which is a whole other market.

I think the SBC got a good PR result out of that particular matchup with a 6-6 school.

They were pretty confident they would beat us despite the 6-6 record.
12-20-2016 06:07 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(12-20-2016 06:07 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  I think the SBC got a good PR result out of that particular matchup with a 6-6 school.

Agreed. I do wish it would have been on a more accessible channel than CBSSN. The AAC should give ESPN the finger (since ESPN gives the AAC one back) and sell the TV rights to the bowl they own (Miami Beach bowl and Cure Bowl) to CBS to go on the actual CBS rather than their sport network.
12-20-2016 06:31 PM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
I thought nobody cared about crowd size in regards to money? I thought the money was with the TV?
12-20-2016 07:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.