Volleyball Near End of Another Poor Season
Bookmark and Share
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
Volleyball Near End of Another Poor Season
You might now really have much interest in our ladies volleyball squad,
but it does take up to nine scholarships, many for expensive out-of-state
recruits. So lots of Tribe Club contributions goes to the team.

With one more game to go the team is racking up another poor season;
they are 8-18 and just 2-11 in the CAA...and the CAA is nowhere near
a yop volleyball league. I believe we've dropped something like eight in a row, mostly three set sweeps by our opponents.

We have a recently hired coach so let's give her some time, but the fact is we're throwing a lot of money at a program that hasn't had a winning season in memory.

And they take up lots of practice time on the Kaplan Arena floor.

Can't drop the program either...it's protected by Title 9.
11-05-2016 06:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Got Ribe Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: W&M
RE: Volleyball Near End of Another Poor Season
(11-05-2016 06:31 AM)BigTribe3 Wrote:  You might now really have much interest in our ladies volleyball squad,
but it does take up to nine scholarships, many for expensive out-of-state
recruits. So lots of Tribe Club contributions goes to the team.

With one more game to go the team is racking up another poor season;
they are 8-18 and just 2-11 in the CAA...and the CAA is nowhere near
a yop volleyball league. I believe we've dropped something like eight in a row, mostly three set sweeps by our opponents.

We have a recently hired coach so let's give her some time, but the fact is we're throwing a lot of money at a program that hasn't had a winning season in memory.

And they take up lots of practice time on the Kaplan Arena floor.

Can't drop the program either...it's protected by Title 9.

Your post is well-taken, but your point about Title 9 misses the mark a little. The statute creates enough real shackles that we need not imagine others (as our AD is wont to do). We could drop volleyball--although I'm not in favor of that--so long as we created an equivalent number of women's scholarships elsewhere in the program.

Again, I appreciate your post, and I mostly agree with you. I just have a thing about folks treating Title 9 as a multi-purpose justification for the status quo.
11-05-2016 10:32 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
I think that it will be important for the new AD to address questions like this. Volleyball is an example of what's wrong with the system as it relates to us. I've been proud of our women's athletics for a long time and we've had success in a number of sports.

I'd be okay if we adjust based on where we are heading.
11-05-2016 07:06 PM
Mrs. Got Ribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tribe
(11-05-2016 06:31 AM)BigTribe3 Wrote:  And they take up lots of practice time on the Kaplan Arena floor.

I've been fighting this for years. I don't know of another Division I program where the basketball team has to practice at the rec center because another sport is practicing in the gym.
11-05-2016 11:08 PM
Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

(11-05-2016 11:08 PM)Mrs. Got Ribe Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 06:31 AM)BigTribe3 Wrote:  And they take up lots of practice time on the Kaplan Arena floor.

I've been fighting this for years. I don't know of another Division I program where the basketball team has to practice at the rec center because another sport is practicing in the gym.

Or has had to use a local private school to practice due to not only volleyball but pole vaulting practice among other teams using The Kap. All this goes to show how much a multi purpose athlete facility would be beneficial to many other teams
11-05-2016 11:17 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

Isn't a basketball practice facility in the works or am I mistaken?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
11-06-2016 10:55 AM
Advertisement

Got Ribe Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-06-2016 10:55 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  Isn't a basketball practice facility in the works or am I mistaken?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Best way I can think to put it is, "A desire for such a facility has been expressed."
11-06-2016 11:10 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

It's in the For the Bold master plan, but needs funding.
11-06-2016 12:35 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(11-05-2016 07:06 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I think that it will be important for the new AD to address questions like this. Volleyball is an example of what's wrong with the system as it relates to us. I've been proud of our women's athletics for a long time and we've had success in a number of sports.

Would you please be so kind as to expand on the last sentence you wrote which I have bolded?
11-06-2016 09:12 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds like a preference for folding volleyball and redirecting funds currently allocated to volleyball to a different women's sport. Would that have Title IX implications?
11-06-2016 11:07 PM
Paulbintheburg Offline
2nd String

If the idea had always been to drop sports because they lose too much, there currently there would not be a Men's or Women's Basketball program. It was not that long ago both of them seemed to drop 20 games a season, now both are upper tier in the CAA.

You guys would be the first ones to hop on the train should/when Volleyball have/has a breakout season, nothing wrong with that either.

Most schools have a Bball practice facility, so maybe if that is what you think WM needs, write a check, even if its for $100. Be part of the solution instead of whining about the problem.
11-07-2016 06:46 AM
Advertisement

WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

What Paul said
11-07-2016 10:46 AM
Biggjohn43 Offline
Special Teams

(11-07-2016 10:46 AM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  What Paul said
Amen to that!!!
11-07-2016 11:21 AM
Got Ribe Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-07-2016 11:21 AM)Biggjohn43 Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 10:46 AM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  What Paul said
Amen to that!!!

Well, Mrs. R and I have been told that small contributions toward the practice facility aren't especially welcome until they land a big donor......but hey, I'm game if others are. Might help build a little momentum. Anybody else want to send in an appropriately designated contribution?
11-07-2016 01:31 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Sure.

What I meant was that as the new AD shows up and sets direction, I would fine if we make adjustments based on that direction. I have no clue what it might be, but my theory is that whoever the new AD is, he/she should be able to put a blue print in place for the future.

A good question is whether we will pick a new AD given the long term master plan making sure he/she will stay within those boundaries or whether we are open to new ideas.

(11-06-2016 09:12 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 07:06 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I think that it will be important for the new AD to address questions like this. Volleyball is an example of what's wrong with the system as it relates to us. I've been proud of our women's athletics for a long time and we've had success in a number of sports.

Would you please be so kind as to expand on the last sentence you wrote which I have bolded?
11-07-2016 01:36 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

What's the best way to earmark a donation towards the practice facility? Because that is something I'd gladly give towards, meager as the offering would be.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 08:00 AM by zablenoise.)
11-07-2016 01:41 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

Let's get to the NCAAT before we worry about volleyball.

One Tribe. One Family.
11-07-2016 01:43 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(11-07-2016 01:36 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Sure.

What I meant was that as the new AD shows up and sets direction, I would fine if we make adjustments based on that direction. I have no clue what it might be, but my theory is that whoever the new AD is, he/she should be able to put a blue print in place for the future.

A good question is whether we will pick a new AD given the long term master plan making sure he/she will stay within those boundaries or whether we are open to new ideas.

(11-06-2016 09:12 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  

Thanks! I had assumed from your comment that there was a direction plotted of which you were referring that was not public. I like that we have a long term plan and assume that as conditions evolve the plan will as well. I would think that having a long term plan in place will help in getting the right fit @ AD and not have misplaced expectations.
11-07-2016 02:20 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(11-07-2016 01:43 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Let's get to the NCAAT before we worry about volleyball.

One Tribe. One Family.

I would guess that getting BB to the NCAA's is the first priority of most folks here. Getting a dedicated practice facility should benefit both programs.
11-07-2016 02:22 PM
Mrs. Got Ribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tribe
(11-07-2016 01:43 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Let's get to the NCAAT before we worry about volleyball.

One Tribe. One Family.

Worrying about volleyball (and pole vaulting and gymnastics and any other sport that displaces basketball) can help us get to the NCAAT. I have no desire to get rid of volleyball. I just want it to take its appropriate place behind basketball. Basketball is the one sport that can launch William & Mary into national relevance in the sports scene.

Laycock says it at every opportunity--the Laycock Center, the stadium renovations, etc. all speak to the commitment the college has to football. And that commitment is evident to every recruit who walks on campus.

WHY DO WE NOT DO THE SAME FOR BASKETBALL?? What does the college's commitment to basketball look like?
11-08-2016 07:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.