Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Annual Season Ticket Event Last Night at Kaplan
Bookmark and Share
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
Tony and his staff held their annual open practice and dinner for season ticket holders last night at kaplan. Players went through a full two hour plus practice, including both halfcourt and full court scrimmages as well as a number of specialized drills.

Shaver also introduced each player and gave crowd of several hundred
a detailed presentation on the upcoming season.

Great time afterwards with the players at an informal dinner.

Tony has great hopes for this team despite losing Terry and Sean. He will continue to fast break given the speed of the guys and the abilities of David Cohn (who looks in mid-season shape...indefatigable). Lots of concentration on defense, including more trapping. Noted that we have lots of very good shooters and won't be using up the clock before shooting.

Tony also noted this should be a good foul-shooting team.

Some observations:

*Dixon and Prewitt looked very good..Daniel looks poised for a sensational season; he's added a couple of pounds and looks very strong.

*The transfer, Matt Milon, is a player...he can shoot the lights out and hit almost everything with his left-handed one-hander. A physical guard too with some bulk at 6-5, 205. Tony noted he will step right in next season for Dixon

*Malinowski fully recovered from his concussion and poised to step right into Tarpey's spot. He looked aggressive on the boards last night.

*Much talk and buzz at the event about Nathan Knight who looked terrific last night. What is evident are his soft hands (he can dribble and pass beyond his 18 years) to go with his power and quickness. He even showed all a three point shot from the corner and the perimeter and made a couple, too. Tony also had him, at times, up on the perimeter
on defense where his 7'2" wingspan makes him impossible to see over.

Look, he's raw on defense, fouls too often, and the coaches want him to shoot a little less from the outside (he's not Connor Burchfield!). Jack Whitman, who played aggressively and passed well (and didn't appear to put the ball down low everytime he touched it in the paint as he tended
to do in the past when he'd lose the ball), is our starter. And Knight treated the crowd to a huge NBA-type superdunk on a breakaway
that brought oohs and ahs. He also hit two for two from the foul line, showing a smooth delivery.

But, and I can't stop saying this, Knoght is a rare talent here at W&M, and may very well be starting before the year is out. With Seacat out he's going to be playing lots from the very start of the season.

*Our other rookie, Justin Pierce, is, per Tony, going to contribute this season. He's highly athletic (something I didn't expect), can shoot the ball, and with his size and length (like Dixon and Omar he's got those long arms that come down to near the bottom of his pants) can rebound.
Showed good speed.

*David Cohn. There's nothing to say but that it's obvious he's a heart and sparkplug of this group. He's always chattering away and wears his heart on his sleeve.

*Burchfield didn't play last evening--he has a finger injury but will be back in a week or two.

*Ollie Tot looked quicker. He has slimmed down a bit in weight and showed aggressiveness in the practice, driving several times. He will play lots.

*Paul Rowley exhibited his shooting ability and will play much more this season. His 6'8" size and mobility are a plus. Stlll thin as a rail though.
Paul, as Tony mentioned, is just a redshirt sophomore.

*The forgotten man, Mike Schlotman, with two seasons left, played quite a bit and is another point guard weapon for Tony.

Bottom line:

Team has a good chance for another 20-win season and, as Tony told the crowd, a very good chance for the CAA crown.

I can easily see a strong 9-man rotation: with Dixon, Prewitt, Cohn, Whitman and Malinowski starting the season..and Knight, Burchfield, Tot and either Rowley or Pierce the next four or five. And this doesn't count Schlotman, who will play.

Jamison Glover, who can play some if there's a huge foul-out game, and a new addition guard Omar Mustafa round out our gang.

And there's Matt Milon in practice every day, a sure-bet starter next season.

My prediction: 20 or more wins, second or third in the CAA, a team that
by seasons end has a decent chance to win the Tourney.

Wild Card: Nathan Knight...if he really comes on as the season progresses anything is possible.
11-02-2016 07:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
RE: Annual Season Ticket Event Last Night at Kaplan
(11-02-2016 07:03 AM)BigTribe3 Wrote:  Tony and his staff held their annual open practice and dinner for season ticket holders last night at kaplan. Players went through a full two hour plus practice, including both halfcourt and full court scrimmages as well as a number of specialized drills.

Shaver also introduced each player and gave crowd of several hundred
a detailed presentation on the upcoming season.

Great time afterwards with the players at an informal dinner.

Tony has great hopes for this team despite losing Terry and Sean. He will continue to fast break given the speed of the guys and the abilities of David Cohn (who looks in mid-season shape...indefatigable). Lots of concentration on defense, including more trapping. Noted that we have lots of very good shooters and won't be using up the clock before shooting.

Tony also noted this should be a good foul-shooting team.

Some observations:

*Dixon and Prewitt looked very good..Daniel looks poised for a sensational season; he's added a couple of pounds and looks very strong.

*The transfer, Matt Milon, is a player...he can shoot the lights out and hit almost everything with his left-handed one-hander. A physical guard too with some bulk at 6-5, 205. Tony noted he will step right in next season for Dixon

*Malinowski fully recovered from his concussion and poised to step right into Tarpey's spot. He looked aggressive on the boards last night.

*Much talk and buzz at the event about Nathan Knight who looked terrific last night. What is evident are his soft hands (he can dribble and pass beyond his 18 years) to go with his power and quickness. He even showed all a three point shot from the corner and the perimeter and made a couple, too. Tony also had him, at times, up on the perimeter
on defense where his 7'2" wingspan makes him impossible to see over.

Look, he's raw on defense, fouls too often, and the coaches want him to shoot a little less from the outside (he's not Connor Burchfield!). Jack Whitman, who played aggressively and passed well (and didn't appear to put the ball down low everytime he touched it in the paint as he tended
to do in the past when he'd lose the ball), is our starter. And Knight treated the crowd to a huge NBA-type superdunk on a breakaway
that brought oohs and ahs. He also hit two for two from the foul line, showing a smooth delivery.

But, and I can't stop saying this, Knoght is a rare talent here at W&M, and may very well be starting before the year is out. With Seacat out he's going to be playing lots from the very start of the season.

*Our other rookie, Justin Pierce, is, per Tony, going to contribute this season. He's highly athletic (something I didn't expect), can shoot the ball, and with his size and length (like Dixon and Omar he's got those long arms that come down to near the bottom of his pants) can rebound.
Showed good speed.

*David Cohn. There's nothing to say but that it's obvious he's a heart and sparkplug of this group. He's always chattering away and wears his heart on his sleeve.

*Burchfield didn't play last evening--he has a finger injury but will be back in a week or two.

*Ollie Tot looked quicker. He has slimmed down a bit in weight and showed aggressiveness in the practice, driving several times. He will play lots.

*Paul Rowley exhibited his shooting ability and will play much more this season. His 6'8" size and mobility are a plus. Stlll thin as a rail though.
Paul, as Tony mentioned, is just a redshirt sophomore.

*The forgotten man, Mike Schlotman, with two seasons left, played quite a bit and is another point guard weapon for Tony.

Bottom line:

Team has a good chance for another 20-win season and, as Tony told the crowd, a very good chance for the CAA crown.

I can easily see a strong 9-man rotation: with Dixon, Prewitt, Cohn, Whitman and Malinowski starting the season..and Knight, Burchfield, Tot and either Rowley or Pierce the next four or five. And this doesn't count Schlotman, who will play.

Jamison Glover, who can play some if there's a huge foul-out game, and a new addition guard Omar Mustafa round out our gang.

And there's Matt Milon in practice every day, a sure-bet starter next season.

My prediction: 20 or more wins, second or third in the CAA, a team that
by seasons end has a decent chance to win the Tourney.

Wild Card: Nathan Knight...if he really comes on as the season progresses anything is possible.

I was at last night's event also and wholeheartedly echo Big Tribe's comments. This is the deepest Tribe basketball team that I can remember, and I was very impressed.

One other comment about Milon. The only reason that we even had a chance to get this kid is because that Benedict Arnold "Pemba" said he was going to come play for us and then reneged and went to Hofstra instead. Many on these boards thought that the three man class of Knight, Pierce, and Pemberton might have been the best class of the Shaver era. Trust me, the substitution of Milon for Pemberton will make that class even better. Pemberton will make noise this year because Hofstra will give him a chance to log way more minutes as a Freshman than we ever would, but when Milon steps on the floor for the first time next year and we see this kid play, we will be sending Pemba thank you cards. I can see why Milon was a 2 time player of the year in Florida.
11-02-2016 08:04 AM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

Agree with the posts above that Pierce, Knight and Milton will be contributors.

Pierce impressed me with his basketball smarts. I was concerned that he was a score-only kind of kid, and that one team picture had me worried he was undersized. Well, he is a freshman and will get bigger but he will be a fine all-round player as a freshman.

Knight's potential is undeniable. He will be thrown into the fire immediately because of Seacat's situation. He is raw, however. They scrimmaged 5-10 minutes when he was playing in the post against Rowley. Not once did he take him inside with a powers move. He can be as good as he wants to be but it will take some time.

Milon shot very well. He is shorter than Dixon but between he and Burchfield we can feel confident with our shooting from the off-guard spot next year.
11-02-2016 08:26 AM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

Agree with the posts above that Pierce, Knight and Milton will be contributors.

Pierce impressed me with his basketball smarts. I was concerned that he was a score-only kind of kid, and that one team picture had me worried he was undersized. Well, he is a freshman and will get bigger but he will be a fine all-round player as a freshman.

Knight's potential is undeniable. He will be thrown into the fire immediately because of Seacat's situation. He is raw, however. They scrimmaged 5-10 minutes when he was playing in the post against Rowley. Not once did he take him inside with a powers move. He can be as good as he wants to be but it will take some time.

Milon shot very well. He is shorter than Dixon but between he and Burchfield we can feel confident with our shooting from the off-guard spot next year.
11-02-2016 10:25 AM
soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

thanks for sharing your impressions!
11-02-2016 11:08 PM
Advertisement

Naptown Tribe Online
All American

Yeah, truly appreciate your guys' synopsis. Has it been formerly stated that Seacat is out the first semester and not longer, or are we just surmising that based on the previous experience with Britt?
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2016 11:07 AM by Naptown Tribe.)
11-03-2016 11:06 AM
tribemike09 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: W&M
Thanks, guys! Also curious about Seacat - anyone know what the official word is? I'll put on my optimism hat and say that the silver lining in all of this could be that Knight gets some valuable experience against top competition during Seacat's absence (or at least more than what was originally planned).
11-03-2016 11:13 AM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
Seacat has a court hearing scheduled for Nov. 8. I don't know if the outcome of that will necessarily affect the coaches' decision, which presumably would be based on "violation of team rules" or something like that, rather than the actual court case per se. But it's possible that the court outcome will have an impact.
11-03-2016 11:44 AM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

While not at the event last night, Seacat's photo and uniform number were on a color handout
distributed to everyone.

Whether that means he will be back second semester is anyone's guess.
11-03-2016 03:38 PM
Advertisement

Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Sorry to Brandon for dredging this up again, but as a comparison, Brandon's incident didn't occur until Oct 25th with a court date of Jan 9th, and yet he was back for the Dec. 20th game after first semester ended. Unless Hunter's circumstances are more severe, I would assume Brandon's example bodes well for Hunter being back for the Milligan game. Not sure how this plays in the administrative process or if it has a significant effect, but Brandon was probably at least legal drinking age at the time, whereas, Hunter, I presume is not.

As a side note, UNCW PG, Jordon Talley, suspended indefinitely.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2016 05:34 PM by Tribeheart.)
11-03-2016 04:44 PM
WMtribe17 Offline
All American

Nice write-up! Bball season can't get here soon enough
11-03-2016 06:01 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

In an aside to the opening of the B-Ball season, VCU lost to Queens College of Charlotte (D-2) last night, 75-74.

Queens plays the same style of pressure defense as VCU, causing 25 turnovers by the Rams. They play a motion offense like we have run, which also caused VCU difficulty, trying to defend all the cuts. The Rams point guards had 21 TO's between them.

My heart bleeds...not.
11-05-2016 10:30 AM
Got Ribe Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-05-2016 10:30 AM)billymac Wrote:  In an aside to the opening of the B-Ball season, VCU lost to Queens College of Charlotte (D-2) last night, 75-74.

Queens plays the same style of pressure defense as VCU, causing 25 turnovers by the Rams. They play a motion offense like we have run, which also caused VCU difficulty, trying to defend all the cuts. The Rams point guards had 21 TO's between them.

My heart bleeds...not.

And suddenly I don't feel so bad about being here at work on a Saturday morning!!
11-05-2016 10:39 AM
Advertisement

hktribefan Offline
1st String

Time to head over to the VCU boards for some schadenfreude!
11-05-2016 10:48 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

Oh how sweet that is

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
11-05-2016 12:46 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

They also lost, badly, in their other scrimmage, at UVA...so a perfect record in the pre-season.
11-05-2016 01:06 PM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
I think that the height and weight of all of our players have been updated on the roster page. Nathan Knight is now shown as being 6'10".
11-05-2016 01:29 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

Does anyone have information about tickets @Duke? Are we getting an allotment or will we have to buy through Duke?
11-05-2016 06:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.