Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Report: Most guns used in NY crimes bought in other states
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
Report: Most guns used in NY crimes bought in other states
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/25/rep...tates.html

A total of 74 percent of the guns were originally purchased outside of New York. Handguns made up three-quarters of all the guns used in crimes, and 86 percent of those handguns were bought in another state.

Of the 14,588 traced weapons recovered in the Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Capital region and Lower Hudson Valley metropolitan areas, 42 percent, or 6,196, originated in New York, followed by 7 percent each in Massachusetts and Connecticut. Those are all states with relatively tight gun regulations and lower rates of gun ownership.
10-26-2016 03:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline

RE: Report: Most guns used in NY crimes bought in other states
1) I would love to see how Kap spins this.

2) Tight gun laws actually work? You don't say...
10-26-2016 03:03 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
So. You're saying that gun laws don't work?
10-26-2016 03:05 PM
john01992 Offline

(10-26-2016 03:05 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  So. You're saying that gun laws don't work?

apply critical thinking. guns in states with tight gun control come from states with weak gun control.
10-26-2016 03:06 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
So. Wouldn't Stop and Frisk remove these illegal guns from bad people?
10-26-2016 03:10 PM
john01992 Offline

(10-26-2016 03:10 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  So. Wouldn't Stop and Frisk remove these illegal guns from bad people?

or you can solve the issue at the source of the problem by preventing criminals from getting guns in the first place.
10-26-2016 03:14 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(10-26-2016 03:06 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 03:05 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  So. You're saying that gun laws don't work?

apply critical thinking. guns in states with tight gun control come from states with weak gun control.

So you are admitting that criminals willingly broke the New York state gun laws by bringing prohibited weapons into the state?

[Image: p9qAvTV.jpg]
10-26-2016 03:15 PM
john01992 Offline

(10-26-2016 03:15 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

So you are admitting that criminals willingly broke the New York state gun laws by bringing prohibited weapons into the state?

I love how you ignore the main point. how typical
10-26-2016 03:23 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
If criminals want guns they will get them regardless of the law.
10-26-2016 03:27 PM
john01992 Offline

(10-26-2016 03:27 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  If criminals want guns they will get them regardless of the law.

but some laws make it easier for them to get guns than other laws.01-lauramac2
10-26-2016 03:32 PM
Kaplony Offline

(10-26-2016 03:23 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

I love how you ignore the fact that criminals ignore laws:

1. They are violating the law prohibiting certain types of firearms in NYS.

2. The criminals themselves are very rarely the person going to another state to purchase the firearms because they can't pass the background check so they use a straw purchaser. This is a violation of federal firearms law.

3. If the firearm is a handgun ( and the overwhelming majority of those involved in crime are) then they violated the law by possessing a handgun in NYS without a state issued permit.

4. If the firearm was purchased in a private transaction to avoid a background check this is a violation of federal law.

I feel sure if I dug deeper I could find more violations of the law but that should suffice. Criminals don't obey they law, and adding additional laws isn't going to stop that. As has been pointed out numerous times in numerous threads you could do just like Australia and ban all but a certain amount of guns and in short order the criminal element in this country would be smuggling prohibited firearms into this country just like they are smuggling them into Australia.
10-26-2016 03:43 PM
Advertisement

bearcat65 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-26-2016 03:32 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 03:27 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  If criminals want guns they will get them regardless of the law.

We understand John. You want to ban private ownership of firearms. That or you are stupid enough to believe that someone willing to violate our laws against murder would somehow respect a law prohibiting him from possessing a gun.
10-26-2016 03:45 PM
john01992 Offline

(10-26-2016 03:43 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

2. The criminals themselves are very rarely the person going to another state to purchase the firearms because they can't pass the background check so they use a straw purchaser. This is a violation of federal firearms law.

3. If the firearm is a handgun ( and the overwhelming majority of those involved in crime are) then they violated the law by possessing a handgun in NYS without a state issued permit.

4. If the firearm was purchased in a private transaction to avoid a background check this is a violation of federal law.

I feel sure if I dug deeper I could find more violations of the law but that should suffice. Criminals don't obey they law, and adding additional laws isn't going to stop that. As has been pointed out numerous times in numerous threads you could do just like Australia and ban all but a certain amount of guns and in short order the criminal element in this country would be smuggling prohibited firearms into this country just like they are smuggling them into Australia.

1. so you are arguing any law that isn't 100% effective is useless? so if there is a law against murder and people are murdered, are you suggesting we should repeal laws making murder illegal?

2. Yet the guns are flowing INTO states like NY, CT, and MA.

3. Again go back to #1

4. again go back to #1

You keep avoiding the law. of course criminals don't obey the laws. but the fact remains that it is the availability of legal ways to purchase guns that ends up being the culprit in criminals becoming in possession of guns. hence the reason europe doesn't have these ridiculous rates.
10-26-2016 03:48 PM
john01992 Offline

(10-26-2016 03:45 PM)bearcat65 Wrote:  

We understand John. You want to ban private ownership of firearms. That or you are stupid enough to believe that someone willing to violate our laws against murder would somehow respect a law prohibiting him from possessing a gun.

the 2nd amendment is still very much alive in the state of NY. you and your sensationalist pandering.
10-26-2016 03:48 PM
bearcat65 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-26-2016 03:48 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 03:45 PM)bearcat65 Wrote:  

the 2nd amendment is still very much alive in the state of NY. you and your sensationalist pandering.

Is it? Nothing sensationalist in my post.
10-26-2016 03:54 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Let's look at the actual report...

90% of ALL the guns in the state came from six states along the i-95 corridor

Let's look at the graphic for the entire state... 26% from NY... 6% from Mass... 6% from CT... 6% from PA... that's 44% all in the top 10 of 'toughest states' according to Brady Campaign.

2% from Texas and 2% from California. Cali is Brady Campaigns #1 and the same number come from there as Texas? Same percentage from tough Vermont, Jersey, Maine and Maryland as easy West Virginia, Louisiana and Tennessee.

I'm over 50% just from states in the Brady top 10 and 12% is 'unknown'.

MAYBE there's something else at play.

Seems like NYC numbers are wildly 'out of step' with the rest of the state.... including being almost half the state's total.

Some pretty conflicting data

In NYC, only 13% of guns come from within the state... which really skew the total numbers.... and that is STILL the largest cohort.... meaning guns are coming from EVERYWHERE into NY. Yes, some easy states, but also some tough ones. 45%+ still come from states in the top 10.

Outside of NYC, 42% from NY, 7% each from Mass and Ct. That's AT LEAST 56% from just three states with strict gun laws (plus I suspect another 10% or so 'unknown'). I'm sure other strict states are on that list.

What I find funny is that they say it's hard for bad guys to get guns in NY... obviously it isn't... since they have half of the states total in one place. The stricter codes in the city obviously encourage a black market for guns... because as we keep saying, if they can't get them legally, they will get them illegally. Even when only 13% come from the state, 50%+ come from 'tough' states.

Just more proof that 'critical thinking' only works if you actually look at the data, and not just some edited version (regardless of whom is editing it) of that data.

It seems pretty obvious that 'tough laws' don't have much of an impact on criminals and their ability to get them.
10-26-2016 03:55 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline

(10-26-2016 03:48 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 03:43 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 03:06 PM)john01992 Wrote:  apply critical thinking. guns in states with tight gun control come from states with weak gun control.

1. so you are arguing any law that isn't 100% effective is useless? so if there is a law against murder and people are murdered, are you suggesting we should repeal laws making murder illegal?

2. Yet the guns are flowing INTO states like NY, CT, and MA.

3. Again go back to #1

4. again go back to #1

You keep avoiding the law. of course criminals don't obey the laws. but the fact remains that it is the availability of legal ways to purchase guns that ends up being the culprit in criminals becoming in possession of guns. hence the reason europe doesn't have these ridiculous rates.

I know this is a futile gesture but if you would read all of my post above you would understand that there is nothing legal about how these criminals obtain their firearms. It's already an illegal act, actually felonies, and passing additional laws isn't going to stop them. There's no such thing as "more illegal".
10-26-2016 03:55 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA

[Image: p9qAvTV.jpg]

[Image: coS4JC3.gif]
10-26-2016 04:01 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Quote:Report: Most guns used in NY crimes bought in other states

Solution? Pass laws making it illegal to buy a gun in another state and use it for a crime in New York. When this doesn't work because thieves are gonna thieve, pass a law banning the other States. Since this is impossible, the clear answer is to secede from the Union and join Australia as "New Australia."
10-26-2016 04:13 PM
Pyrizzo Offline
Eyes in the Sky

I Root For: nothing
(10-26-2016 03:03 PM)john01992 Wrote:  http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/25/rep...tates.html

A total of 74 percent of the guns were originally purchased outside of New York. Handguns made up three-quarters of all the guns used in crimes, and 86 percent of those handguns were bought in another state.

Of the 14,588 traced weapons recovered in the Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Capital region and Lower Hudson Valley metropolitan areas, 42 percent, or 6,196, originated in New York, followed by 7 percent each in Massachusetts and Connecticut. Those are all states with relatively tight gun regulations and lower rates of gun ownership.

What I REALLY want to know is what happened to the perps caught with THESE guns. How long were their sentences? If it's anything like Chicago (and it likely is) they probably all got a year or less if they didn't kill anyone. Give me THAT STAT Johnny, because that's the one that REALLY f'n matters. These leftist states refuse to enforce the laws they ALREADY have.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 04:15 PM by Pyrizzo.)
10-26-2016 04:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.