Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AD Driscoll Retiring on June 30, 2017
Bookmark and Share
Naptown Tribe Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
http://www.tribeathletics.com/news/2016/...-2017.aspx

I know he takes some criticism, but I am thankful for his leadership and it will be interesting to see the direction the search committee goes in hiring his replacement. Obviously it's a huge decision with the changing landscape of collegiate athletics and continual conference changes. It will strongly demonstrate the future direction of Tribe Athletics and our desired vision. Any strong internal options or do you guys think we will go external?

Will someone like Dwyer be a serious contender? Would Jimmye ever want to be AD/would he be good at that? I'm all in for making BillyMac our new AD :).
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016 11:26 AM by Naptown Tribe.)
10-04-2016 11:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
RE: AD Driscoll Retiring on June 30, 2017
Where do I apply?

In all seriousness I hope they at least consider someone outside the family even if they end up promoting from within. I'd also like someone who has hired a football coach in the past because JL isn't going to live forever and the new guy will have to hire his replacement.
10-04-2016 11:38 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(10-04-2016 11:21 AM)Naptown Tribe Wrote:  http://www.tribeathletics.com/news/2016/...-2017.aspx

Will someone like Dwyer be a serious contender? Would Jimmye ever want to be AD/would he be good at that? I'm all in for making BillyMac our new AD :).

LOL! Thanks. I'd do it, but I can't afford to live in Williamsburg.

03-lol
10-04-2016 12:15 PM
WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

During Driscoll's tenure, here's what has happened:

1. Lights, turf, and expansion of Zable + Laycock facility
2. Hiring of Tony Shaver, hoops program has gone from a laughingstock to 4 CAA finals, 5 20-win seasons (including 3 consecutive)
3. Plumeri Park was built, baseball program has gone from laughingstock to being competitive every year, and has gone to 2 NCAA tournaments
4. Stayed in the CAA, unlike just about every other league member
5. Continued conference domination of all Olympic sports
6. Maintained student-athlete standards
7. Domination of JMU in every sport
8. Oversaw the whole mascot fiasco in a fashion that caused the least embarrassment and pissed off the fewest alumni

What other major accomplishments am I missing from the Driscoll years?
10-04-2016 12:24 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

Wow that will be an absolutely massive decision. Hopefully the support of the athletics department will continue with the search committee.
10-04-2016 12:28 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Hope they look at big schools with academic standards and athletics success...any assistant AD's available from Duke, UVA, Stanford, Michigan, Notre Dame????
10-04-2016 12:33 PM
Advertisement

tribetime10 Offline
Special Teams

(10-04-2016 12:24 PM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  During Driscoll's tenure, here's what has happened:

2. Hiring of Tony Shaver, hoops program has gone from a laughingstock to 4 CAA finals, 5 20-win seasons (including 3 consecutive)
3. Plumeri Park was built, baseball program has gone from laughingstock to being competitive every year, and has gone to 2 NCAA tournaments
8. Oversaw the whole mascot fiasco in a fashion that caused the least embarrassment and pissed off the fewest alumni

Strictly from a facilities standpoint:
1) Millie West Tennis Facility & McCormick Nagelson opened right about the time when he came on board
2) Major Updates to Martin Family Stadium at Albert Daily
3) Not sure how involved the Athletics Dept was in the new rec center, but swimming got a new home
10-04-2016 12:36 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(10-04-2016 12:36 PM)tribetime10 Wrote:  
(10-04-2016 12:24 PM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  During Driscoll's tenure, here's what has happened:

Strictly from a facilities standpoint:
1) Millie West Tennis Facility & McCormick Nagelson opened right about the time when he came on board
2) Major Updates to Martin Family Stadium at Albert Daily
3) Not sure how involved the Athletics Dept was in the new rec center, but swimming got a new home

I'd give credit for a good women's b-ball coach hire turning that team around, though it took too long to fire Debbie Taylor IMO. Avoiding any major academic or behavior-based scandals is huge too, as that's all it would take to de-emphasize sports at a place like W&M.

Overall, I agree with list of accomplishments and think Terry has done an admirable job and represented the College well. Would like to see field hockey and lacrosse teams return to competitive levels achieved in the 90s, as these seemed to have slipped in recent years.
10-04-2016 12:47 PM
Tribal Offline

(10-04-2016 12:33 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Hope they look at big schools with academic standards and athletics success...any assistant AD's available from Duke, UVA, Stanford, Michigan, Notre Dame????
Those are options but we may not be able to even match his or her current salary.

The schools you listed along with Vandy, Georgetown, Wake, Villanova, etc have money to burn. Our offer would probably just lead to a pay raise and some fancy words in his or her job title at the current school.

One Tribe. One Family.
10-04-2016 12:59 PM
tribeintexas Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
Some assistant ADs might want an opportunity to run their own program before they seek an opportunity at a major program.
10-04-2016 01:28 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

If it was always in his plan to retire in the next couple of years, his timing is very appropriate to allow President Reveley to have a say in his successor and the new AD to have an initial year under Reveley before we get a new President, assuming Reveley retires June 30, 2018 at the end of his additional one year contract extension. Otherwise, Driscoll may have felt compelled to stay on until June, 2019. Would not want W&M to be in the situation Delaware found themselves in.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
10-04-2016 02:37 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary

1) No re-entry at halftime of football games.
2) No post-season for men's hoops in Vegas/CIT/CBI.
3) No video boards in Wiliam and Mary Hall.
4) Lack of seriousness surrounding W&M's men's hoops was a factor in decision of Virgina schools to leave CAA.
5) Failure to read riot act to N'Eastern and Hofstra over dropping of football programs.
6) Failure to get Albany and Stony Brook into CAA in all sports.
7) Non-existent fan sports apparel.
8) Failure to emphasize W&M men's hoops history.
9) A non-existent OOC home schedule in men's hoops that requires AD leadership to fix.

Need I go on?

Do you think the $$ for the facilities come because of the AD, or in spite of the AD?

Seriously, the hoops success is due to the coach, not the AD, and the CAA is in its current condition because W&M didn't / wouldn't do some of the heavy lifting when the conference was at it's peak.

I thank the man. I wish him much health and happiness in his retirement. But let's not reinvent what's been going on.
10-04-2016 03:03 PM
Tribe2011 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: W&M
Yeah agree - I think Shaver was more of just a lucky hire than anything else given the state of the program the first decade Driscoll was AD. Think that 99% of the credit for the basketball program should be on Shaver.
10-04-2016 04:21 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
So no credit for TD for not only hiring Shaver, but for not firing him after the early rough years like some on here advocated?

AndNJ, you speak as if TD had unilateral power to keep schools from leaving, lots of conferences shed teams during realignment and this is the first time I've heard of an individual A.D. getting the blame for any of those moves.
10-04-2016 05:30 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

I'm sure Hofstra and Northeastern would have changed their minds had Driscoll spoken to them harshly. "Yeah, we're bleeding money on an unprofitable program, but we don't want to disappoint you!" That probably would have backfired given that the CAA needed those two programs to stay for basketball.
10-04-2016 05:54 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

(10-04-2016 05:30 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  So no credit for TD for not only hiring Shaver, but for not firing him after the early rough years like some on here advocated?

AndNJ, you speak as if TD had unilateral power to keep schools from leaving, lots of conferences shed teams during realignment and this is the first time I've heard of an individual A.D. getting the blame for any of those moves.

Sure, he gets credit for hiring / not firing Shaver. That's in his favor, employment support for the coach. How about support for the program ... in his favor?

Don't put words in my mouth about realignment. One factor in the departure of the Virginia schools from the CAA was the fact that W&M's support of / for the men's basketball program was lacking.

TD's record is mixed ... nothing more, nothing less.
10-04-2016 07:04 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

(10-04-2016 05:54 PM)Rocco Wrote:  I'm sure Hofstra and Northeastern would have changed their minds had Driscoll spoken to them harshly. "Yeah, we're bleeding money on an unprofitable program, but we don't want to disappoint you!" That probably would have backfired given that the CAA needed those two programs to stay for basketball.

Nice try. You know better as you've been following this stuff as closely as I have.

There are certain AD's of certain programs who carry a big stick to protect their programs.

Yeager was on the verge of constructing a very good all-sports conference. That blew up with Hofstra's and Northeastern's decision. An ultimatum should be given ... Albany and Stony Brook come in, as additions, or replacements, in the hoops conference ... your choice.

We get walked over. We can go Patriot or SoCon at any time. We could start a new league (I know, the auto bids don't follow). We have tremendous leverage. We don't use it. We were hurt badly by those two schools.

And Hofstra was not bleeding money on an unprofitable program ... that was cold-blooded murder of a proud program by a University President.
10-04-2016 07:34 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

(10-04-2016 07:34 PM)nj alum Wrote:  
(10-04-2016 05:54 PM)Rocco Wrote:  I'm sure Hofstra and Northeastern would have changed their minds had Driscoll spoken to them harshly. "Yeah, we're bleeding money on an unprofitable program, but we don't want to disappoint you!" That probably would have backfired given that the CAA needed those two programs to stay for basketball.

Nice try. You know better as you've been following this stuff as closely as I have.

There are certain AD's of certain programs who carry a big stick to protect their programs.

Yeager was on the verge of constructing a very good all-sports conference. That blew up with Hofstra's and Northeastern's decision. An ultimatum should be given ... Albany and Stony Brook come in, as additions, or replacements, in the hoops conference ... your choice.

We get walked over. We can go Patriot or SoCon at any time. We could start a new league (I know, the auto bids don't follow). We have tremendous leverage. We don't use it. We were hurt badly by those two schools.

And Hofstra was not bleeding money on an unprofitable program ... that was cold-blooded murder of a proud program by a University President.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/04/sports...fstra.html

[Image: bd9FIck.png]

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colleg...-1.1533593

"Rabinowitz, meanwhile, explained his decision in logical terms. He maintained that the $4.5 million invested annually in football could be better utilized for student scholarships and other academic priorities. The board of trustees had performed a two-year internal study and reached its decision after exploring alternatives. Jumping levels from the Football Championship Subdivision (once the Division I-AA) to Division I-A was dismissed as only delaying the inevitable. "

http://www.espn.com/college-football/new...id=4709412

"Rabinowitz noted the scant interest on campus in the team. He said students were offered free tickets to games, but an average of only 500 attended games at the 13,000-seat campus stadium, and that included cheerleaders and a pep band. Hofstra has a student body of 12,500, but only 4,200 live on campus. The average attendance this season -- students and nonstudents -- was 4,260."

Hofstra wasn't making money on football, wasn't selling tickets, and didn't want to subsidize a loss leader any longer. A harsh word from Driscoll wouldn't have changed it. If it truly was done simply because of a school President then Driscoll's words definitely would have been wasted because Presidents aren't going to waste their time getting lectured by ADs from other schools.

There are lots of things to complain about. Blaming Driscoll for the business decisions of other schools seems to be a reach.
10-04-2016 07:54 PM
ocfrank Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: william and mar
(10-04-2016 12:33 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Hope they look at big schools with academic standards and athletics success...any assistant AD's available from Duke, UVA, Stanford, Michigan, Notre Dame????

You nailed it. Gotta go outside.
10-04-2016 08:25 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

(10-04-2016 07:54 PM)Rocco Wrote:  Hofstra wasn't making money on football, wasn't selling tickets, and didn't want to subsidize a loss leader any longer. A harsh word from Driscoll wouldn't have changed it. If it truly was done simply because of a school President then Driscoll's words definitely would have been wasted because Presidents aren't going to waste their time getting lectured by ADs from other schools.

There are lots of things to complain about. Blaming Driscoll for the business decisions of other schools seems to be a reach.

You're not understanding my point. I'm not blaming TD for Hofstra's decision. I'm questioning our response to same, conference-mate to conference-mate, given the implications for our football conference, our hoops conference, and our school, and we have found ourselves in a weaker conference position given our response.
10-04-2016 08:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.