Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Week: @BG
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Exclamation Game Week: @BG
I think many MAC fans are confused by some, but not all MAC teams this year.

WMU, TOL, and CMU are not surprises.

NIU and BG are definitely surprises in the other direction. Last December they played in the MACC game in Detroit. Now they are both getting beaten in games they shouldn't lose or getting beaten badly.

Both games (@BG and NIU) which looked like "L's" no longer look that way.

Should be interesting to see the line for Saturday's game after the beating BG took yesterday...

And CC has a decision to make about which QB to start Saturday. Porter has played four games, three good and struggled with INTs in the other.

P.S. there is a difference in the ability of the two QBs to move, run, etc. Porter isn't Reggie Bell but he does add another dimension to the offense at QB.
09-25-2016 03:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

RE: Game Week: @BG
I went digging (actually need to do a lot more) for info about BG. Like how can they get off to such a bad start.

I thought I'd start with the pre-season poll to see if the voters (coaches in this case) saw anything...

Nope. They seemed as clueless as the media might be.

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/news/2016/8/2...h=football

So the coaches gave the most first place votes to BG and NIU.

Based on those results, I think EMU Steve could do better flipping a coin and rolling a die to come up with 12 possible outcomes to predict the 2016 season standings.

Need to figure out what the story is with the new BG HC. Losing HCs to the big boys will eventually catch up with a program. Eventually they could end up with a mediocre coach or recruiting could go bad, etc.

I went looking through their new coaching staff. 'Greener than the turf at The Factory'. Oops, greener than the grass outside The Factory... :)

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/roster.aspx?p...hes_anchor
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 06:07 AM by emu steve.)
09-25-2016 05:59 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Yeah good call, I thought Porter was a bit more mobile when I saw him last spring, its really a toss up at QB. Honestly any QB can have a bad game and what surprised me was how well Porter made decisions the first 3 games and what poor decisions he made in the Wyoming game although I could argue that one of those INT was the receivers fault.

If we can stay healthy and stay on the positive side of the turnover ratio we have an excellent chance to ascend in the overall MAC this year with Bowling Green, NIU and Miami (OH) all left to play.
09-25-2016 08:12 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(09-25-2016 08:12 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Yeah good call, I thought Porter was a bit more mobile when I saw him last spring, its really a toss up at QB. Honestly any QB can have a bad game and what surprised me was how well Porter made decisions the first 3 games and what poor decisions he made in the Wyoming game although I could argue that one of those INT was the receivers fault.

If we can stay healthy and stay on the positive side of the turnover ratio we have an excellent chance to ascend in the overall MAC this year with Bowling Green, NIU and Miami (OH) all left to play.

Yeah, Friday I watched Porter implode vs WYO (after 3 good games) and then yesterday saw K Rod implode vs. K.C. Royals after 3 weeks of scoreless closing.

Honestly, I think folks here were too quick to write Porter off.

Quite frankly 3 : 1 isn't a bad ratio of good to bad games (sometimes at EMU we are used to 1 : 3 ratio).
09-25-2016 08:30 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(09-25-2016 08:30 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(09-25-2016 08:12 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Yeah good call, I thought Porter was a bit more mobile when I saw him last spring, its really a toss up at QB. Honestly any QB can have a bad game and what surprised me was how well Porter made decisions the first 3 games and what poor decisions he made in the Wyoming game although I could argue that one of those INT was the receivers fault.

Yeah, Friday I watched Porter implode vs WYO (after 3 good games) and then yesterday saw K Rod implode vs. K.C. Royals after 3 weeks of scoreless closing.

Honestly, I think folks here were too quick to write Porter off.

Quite frankly 3 : 1 isn't a bad ratio of good to bad games (sometimes at EMU we are used to 1 : 3 ratio).
09-25-2016 08:41 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Did all of Porters picks happen when he was under pressure? I know a few of them did. That seems to me like something the coaches can help him with. He seems to throw a good ball without the pressure. It will be interesting mg to see who gets the start @ BG.
09-25-2016 08:48 AM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I think we are lucky to finally have a competent defense that allows a QB to implode, yet still win the game. Don't forget how Wyoming gashed us last year, and that was without their starting QB.

I truly hope they carry this level of play into the MAC games. We will get our 6 wins, and maybe more, if we continue to control the line of scrimmage.
09-25-2016 08:50 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I have to disagree with the Porter supporters. Excluding Missouri, he's played against average defenses. He's not that Mobile and his arm strength is average at best. Any QB that throws 4 interceptions and 6 in 3.5 games is not ready to lead a team on the field.

Unquestionably Roback is the guy to win us three more games. I want to see Roback from the start of the game with our improved defense and receivers. Last year our defense made the offense take too many chances which hurt Roback. Plus there were no receivers to throw to last year. I was impressed that Roback led EMU on game winning drive. When the pocket collapsed, he made a good decision to eat the ball and take a sack vs forcing a throw and making an interception.

Finally looking at their throwing mechanics, Roback has a very fluid tight spiral with velocity on the ball. Porter slings the ball and I've noticed the receivers are waiting for it.

Regardless who starts, I truly believe Roback will at some point take over full-time and lead us to a few surprising victories. Whoever starts, I hope the team rally's around that QB and we beat BGSU. When was the last time we beat BGSU?
09-25-2016 08:52 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-25-2016 08:52 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I have to disagree with the Porter supporters. Excluding Missouri, he's played against average defenses. He's not that Mobile and his arm strength is average at best. Any QB that throws 4 interceptions and 6 in 3.5 games is not ready to lead a team on the field.

Unquestionably Roback is the guy to win us three more games. I want to see Roback from the start of the game with our improved defense and receivers. Last year our defense made the offense take too many chances which hurt Roback. Plus there were no receivers to throw to last year. I was impressed that Roback led EMU on game winning drive. When the pocket collapsed, he made a good decision to eat the ball and take a sack vs forcing a throw and making an interception.

Finally looking at their throwing mechanics, Roback has a very fluid tight spiral with velocity on the ball. Porter slings the ball and I've noticed the receivers are waiting for it.

Regardless who starts, I truly believe Roback will at some point take over full-time and lead us to a few surprising victories. Whoever starts, I hope the team rally's around that QB and we beat BGSU. When was the last time we beat BGSU?

Correction we're EMU supporters, we want the best QB that helps us win. I think the jury is still out on which of the two is the best to help us do that.
09-25-2016 09:24 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(09-25-2016 08:48 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Did all of Porters picks happen when he was under pressure? I know a few of them did. That seems to me like something the coaches can help him with. He seems to throw a good ball without the pressure. It will be interesting mg to see who gets the start @ BG.

I'm re-watching the game.

The first was definitely on Porter. The second was when the WR turned in instead of out (sideline) after the ball was thrown. The QB and WR weren't on the same page on the break.

At the start of the 2nd quarter, the CBSSN folks noticed that Porter's thumb (non-throwing) was taped between quarters.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 10:10 AM by emu steve.)
09-25-2016 09:58 AM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(09-25-2016 05:59 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I went digging (actually need to do a lot more) for info about BG. Like how can they get off to such a bad start.

I thought I'd start with the pre-season poll to see if the voters (coaches in this case) saw anything...

Based on those results, I think EMU Steve could do better flipping a coin and rolling a die to come up with 12 possible outcomes to predict the 2016 season standings.

Need to figure out what the story is with the new BG HC. Losing HCs to the big boys will eventually catch up with a program. Eventually they could end up with a mediocre coach or recruiting could go bad, etc.

I went looking through their new coaching staff. 'Greener than the turf at The Factory'. Oops, greener than the grass outside The Factory... :)

Great info, here it is in a nutshell.

2 huge, apparently overlooked issues at BGSU. First, they lost their starting QB, as well as their best RB & both WR's. 1 WR to graduation, and the other a transfer to Alabama, where he is now STARTING. That kind of talent alone, can make a huge difference in the MAC.

Second, and even more importantly, they lost their head coach, Dino Babers to Syracuse. As I've said before, every single team in the MAC, is only 1 good (or bad) coach away, from a major turnaround, or downfall.

Babers was 55 years old, with 30+ years coaching at the highest levels of D1 football. His most important stop by far, was at Baylor from 2008-2011 where he was mentored by Art Briles, and learned the ins and outs of his high powered offense. Almost immediately upon his arrival at BGSU, his offense took the MAC by storm, he won 3 straight East Titles, and 2 of the last 3 MAC championships. When they lost him, it looks like they apparently lost the Baylor offense along with him.

This year Mike Jinks comes along to lead BGSU. He comes from Texas Tech, so most people assume it's just a continuation of another high powered Texas spread offense, like Baylor. They would be wrong, without going into detail, 2 very different offenses.

In addition, just looking at his resume, Jinks has never even been a coordinator, he was promoted to BGSU head coach, after only 3 seasons as a RB coach at Texas Tech. Prior to that he was a high school coach in Texas, albeit a very successful one.

Not saying he's not a very good coach, and that he won't ultimately be successful at BGSU, or beat EMU on Saturday. Just saying it looks like they took a big risk on this guy, and so far, the transition has been a struggle. I would say primarily because that Texas Tech offense is all about the QB. If you don't have a stud, who knows that spread well, it's going to be a struggle, especially with all your best skill players leaving as well.

Last year they lost to Memphis 44-41..........this year 77-3! Major changes happening at BGSU.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 02:20 PM by EagleTough.)
09-25-2016 02:15 PM
Advertisement

KPJ Offline
1st String

(09-25-2016 02:15 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  
(09-25-2016 05:59 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I went digging (actually need to do a lot more) for info about BG. Like how can they get off to such a bad start.

Great info, here it is in a nutshell.

2 huge, apparently overlooked issues at BGSU. First, they lost their starting QB, as well as their best RB & both WR's. 1 WR to graduation, and the other a transfer to Alabama, where he is now STARTING. That kind of talent alone, can make a huge difference in the MAC.

Second, and even more importantly, they lost their head coach, Dino Babers to Syracuse. As I've said before, every single team in the MAC, is only 1 good (or bad) coach away, from a major turnaround, or downfall.

Babers was 55 years old, with 30+ years coaching at the highest levels of D1 football. His most important stop by far, was at Baylor from 2008-2011 where he was mentored by Art Briles, and learned the ins and outs of his high powered offense. Almost immediately upon his arrival at BGSU, his offense took the MAC by storm, he won 3 straight East Titles, and 2 of the last 3 MAC championships. When they lost him, it looks like they apparently lost the Baylor offense along with him.

This year Mike Jinks comes along to lead BGSU. He comes from Texas Tech, so most people assume it's just a continuation of another high powered Texas spread offense, like Baylor. They would be wrong, without going into detail, 2 very different offenses.

In addition, just looking at his resume, Jinks has never even been a coordinator, he was promoted to BGSU head coach, after only 3 seasons as a RB coach at Texas Tech. Prior to that he was a high school coach in Texas, albeit a very successful one.

Not saying he's not a very good coach, and that he won't ultimately be successful at BGSU, or beat EMU on Saturday. Just saying it looks like they took a big risk on this guy, and so far, the transition has been a struggle. I would say primarily because that Texas Tech offense is all about the QB. If you don't have a stud, who knows that spread well, it's going to be a struggle, especially with all your best skill players leaving as well.

Last year they lost to Memphis 44-41..........this year 77-3! Major changes happening at BGSU.

Ummm....
Babers spent two years at BGSU.
He was hired the same season as Creighton.
It was rumored that he was offered the EMU job, but turned it down.
09-25-2016 03:34 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

You're correct, 2 years, not 3.

Still doesn't change a thing I said. He had 2 great seasons running the Baylor spread, and leading BGSU to the peak of their success.

2014 wins the MAC East, loses to NIU in the Championship game, goes on to win their first bowl game since 1994!

2015 wins the MAC East, goes back to the Championship game to put a revenge beat down on NIU, 34-14.

Great coach, huge loss.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 04:04 PM by EagleTough.)
09-25-2016 04:03 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

This has been a theme of mine: success breeds revolving door ala BG and NIU and it appears to have caught up with both schools.

The corollary is schools firing coaches too often and also setting up a revolving door.

Replacing coaches isn't like replacing a car. New offenses, new defenses, new recruiting, etc. etc.
09-25-2016 04:52 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

We need to make a statement with this game that Emu is no longer the conferences doormat
09-25-2016 05:06 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(09-25-2016 04:03 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  You're correct, 2 years, not 3.

Still doesn't change a thing I said. He had 2 great seasons running the Baylor spread, and leading BGSU to the peak of their success.

2014 wins the MAC East, loses to NIU in the Championship game, goes on to win their first bowl game since 1994!

2015 wins the MAC East, goes back to the Championship game to put a revenge beat down on NIU, 34-14.

Great coach, huge loss.

Yea, but he had Matt Johnson and other good skill players recruited by the previous coach. BG also won with Matt Johnson the year before Babers showed up. Babers also left EIU the same year Garropolo graduated from there.
09-25-2016 07:29 PM
Advertisement

Huron Boy Offline
2nd String

(09-25-2016 04:52 PM)emu steve Wrote:  This has been a theme of mine: success breeds revolving door ala BG and NIU and it appears to have caught up with both schools.

The corollary is schools firing coaches too often and also setting up a revolving door.

Replacing coaches isn't like replacing a car. New offenses, new defenses, new recruiting, etc. etc.

Yup. I think it's possible that bad coaching decisions may have caught up to both. Jenks is new so the verdict is still in doubt, but the NIU board just hates Carey.
09-25-2016 07:43 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(09-25-2016 07:43 PM)Huron Boy Wrote:  
(09-25-2016 04:52 PM)emu steve Wrote:  This has been a theme of mine: success breeds revolving door ala BG and NIU and it appears to have caught up with both schools.

Yup. I think it's possible that bad coaching decisions may have caught up to both. Jenks is new so the verdict is still in doubt, but the NIU board just hates Carey.

Jenks is indeed new so he deserves time.

The last MAC coach who got buried his first season was some guy, P.J., in Kalamazoo.

Need to give Jenks some time to rebuild his squad, etc.
09-25-2016 08:06 PM
Huron Boy Offline
2nd String

(09-25-2016 08:06 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(09-25-2016 07:43 PM)Huron Boy Wrote:  

Jenks is indeed new so he deserves time.

The last MAC coach who got buried his first season was some guy, P.J., in Kalamazoo.

Need to give Jenks some time to rebuild his squad, etc.

BG hired him with no NCAA head coaching experience at any level. They either really liked what they saw, or were listening to the wrong advice. While no one would react well to getting pounded by 70+ for a second time - they seem to have discipline issues last night.
09-25-2016 08:17 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

No surprise but the early Vegas line has BG a 3.5 point favorite.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foot...n-michigan

What was surprising is that the line opened up BG by 10.

Here is the ugly story on BG:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foot...reen-state
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 03:10 AM by emu steve.)
09-26-2016 03:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.