Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Completely arbitrary Sun Belt Power Rankings: Week 1 edition
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
1. South Alabama (Automatic because they beat a P5 team)
2. App State (For giving a Top 10 team hell)
3. Texas State (Because they looked like a real football team)
4. Georgia Southern (Only 54 points against Savannah? Fire the OC!)
5. Troy (Lost a place because they gave up 17 to Peay)
6. Idaho (Despite Latah County comparing Montana State to Toledo)
7. ULM (Made Southern look good)

11 (Tie) Georgia State, Arkansas State, ULL, NMSU (Because they all abjectly failed)
09-03-2016 11:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChooChoo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia State
RE: The Completely arbitrary Sun Belt Power Rankings: Week 1 edition
I'll second that.
09-03-2016 11:29 PM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(09-03-2016 11:24 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  1. South Alabama (Automatic because they beat a P5 team)
2. App State (For giving a Top 10 team hell)
3. Texas State (Because they looked like a real football team)
4. Georgia Southern (Only 54 points against Savannah? Fire the OC!)
5. Troy (Lost a place because they gave up 17 to Peay)
6. Idaho (Despite Latah County comparing Montana State to Toledo)
7. ULM (Made Southern look good)

11 (Tie) Georgia State, Arkansas State, ULL, NMSU (Because they all abjectly failed)

Thanks for saving me keystrokes.
09-03-2016 11:32 PM
TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(09-03-2016 11:24 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  5. Troy (Lost a place because they gave up 17 to Peay)

To be fair, Neal Brown did say he was going to play a lot of new guys and play 2nd and 3rd string guys wholesale early on in this game (and in the Clemson game, much to my chagrin). Our 3rd string QB ran for a 50 yard TD. Might be the longest TD run from a Troy QB in 10 years.

Neal Brown also said scheme wise we were going to play it by ear since we didn't have any tape on them. They have a new HC this year. After the first two TD's, Vic Koenning made the correct adjustments and their offense didn't really do much for the next 3 quarters. They scored a field goal on a short field after we gave them 45 yards in penalties to round out their 17 points.
09-03-2016 11:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
I'm not even going to try. What a whacky weekend of football. PS hadn't been on the board yet! Congrats USA and TXST!!!
09-03-2016 11:42 PM
bokobobcat1919 Offline
Sun Belt

I Root For: Texas State
What a difference a day makes. If you had told me 24 hours ago that people would be listing TXST in the top 5 here I'd have called you nuts.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 11:44 PM by bokobobcat1919.)
09-03-2016 11:43 PM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
1. App State
2. Georgia Southern
3. South Alabama
4. Texas State
5. Troy
6. ULL
7. Arkansas State
8. Idaho
9. NMSU
10. Georgia State
11. ULM

I put App at #1 because I don't rank based on W/L record, but just as an assessment on where a team appears to be.
I honestly see Tennessee making a bowl game, Miss State I'm not too sure. Miss State looks like they dropped off a lot on offense from last year.
Don't see anything from GS that shows we're going to drop off or be better compared with late last year.
09-03-2016 11:56 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
You beat an FCS. USA beat an SEC team and we beat a possible contender MAC team. Yeah, go ahead and put your team above ours.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2016 12:18 AM by CatMom.)
09-04-2016 12:17 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(09-04-2016 12:17 AM)CatMom Wrote:  You beat an FCS. USA beat an SEC team and we beat a possible contender MAC team. Yeah, go ahead and put your team above ours.

Possible contender in the East division which went 1-5 this week, including an FCS loss to Albany. Could Ohio be in the title game??? By default??? The best 4 teams are in the MAC West.
09-04-2016 12:23 AM
CC Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga. Southern
(09-04-2016 12:23 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 12:17 AM)CatMom Wrote:  You beat an FCS. USA beat an SEC team and we beat a possible contender MAC team. Yeah, go ahead and put your team above ours.

Possible contender in the East division which went 1-5 this week, including an FCS loss to Albany. Could Ohio be in the title game??? By default??? The best 4 teams are in the MAC West.

When does GS get its MAC trophy? I mean, Toledo didn't even make the MAC title game last year, but feel free to come on down to Statesboro if you feel like giving your conference a fresh take on what we'll deal out to you.
09-04-2016 12:31 AM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern

I can agree with the ranking above. USA and GS may be interchangeable. Doesn't matter in 7 days. TXST and Ohio were fun to watch. App State looked to be the most complete team. Not looking past #4.
09-04-2016 12:34 AM
Advertisement

EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(09-04-2016 12:31 AM)CC Eagle Wrote:  

When does GS get its MAC trophy? I mean, Toledo didn't even make the MAC title game last year, but feel free to come on down to Statesboro if you feel like giving your conference a fresh take on what we'll deal out to you.

Lol... GS fan makes comment ---> Texas State fan criticizes GS comment ---> Toledo fan counters Texas State comment in general support of original GS poster comment ---> new GS fan busts Toledo fans balls for apparently no reason. That's why I read this forum.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2016 12:41 AM by EagleNationRising.)
09-04-2016 12:40 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(09-03-2016 11:56 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  1. App State
2. Georgia Southern
3. South Alabama
4. Texas State
5. Troy
6. ULL
7. Arkansas State
8. Idaho
9. NMSU
10. Georgia State
11. ULM

I put App at #1 because I don't rank based on W/L record, but just as an assessment on where a team appears to be.
I honestly see Tennessee making a bowl game, Miss State I'm not too sure. Miss State looks like they dropped off a lot on offense from last year.
Don't see anything from GS that shows we're going to drop off or be better compared with late last year.

But that's why these are officially called "The Completely Arbitrary Sun Belt Power Rankings"

The point is to rank teams based off performances during the week, not based off of how you think they'll finish this season. If you guys beat South Alabama next week, then you'll go ahead of them in the rankings.
09-04-2016 12:46 AM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(09-04-2016 12:40 AM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  Lol... GS fan makes comment ---> Texas State fan criticizes GS comment ---> Toledo fan counters Texas State comment in general support of original GS poster comment ---> new GS fan busts Toledo fans balls for apparently no reason. That's why I read this forum.

If only Louisiana Tech could have entered the conversation somehow.

OP's rankings look good to me.
09-04-2016 07:38 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(09-04-2016 07:38 AM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 12:40 AM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  Lol... GS fan makes comment ---> Texas State fan criticizes GS comment ---> Toledo fan counters Texas State comment in general support of original GS poster comment ---> new GS fan busts Toledo fans balls for apparently no reason. That's why I read this forum.

If only Louisiana Tech could have entered the conversation somehow.

[Image: giphy.gif]
09-04-2016 07:42 AM
sarkelcpa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS, Ohio St.
(09-03-2016 11:56 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  1. App State
2. Georgia Southern
3. South Alabama
4. Texas State
5. Troy
6. ULL
7. Arkansas State
8. Idaho
9. NMSU
10. Georgia State
11. ULM

I disagree with your ranking of us. To me, we looked like we were learning a whole new offense by as stilted we played. The offense did not look comfortable and overall, we looked like a well-oiled FCS team last night.
09-04-2016 08:56 AM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(09-04-2016 12:34 AM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  

I can agree with the ranking above. USA and GS may be interchangeable. Doesn't matter in 7 days. TXST and Ohio were fun to watch. App State looked to be the most complete team. Not looking past #4.

TXST and Ohio were fun to watch. TXST's Double pass was perfection.
Btw, the MAC East is horrible.
09-04-2016 09:12 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

Just going on experience from following the FCS for years.

Every year there is one team that gets an impressive-looking FBS win early in the season and inevitably there's discussion of "is _______ the best team in the country?" and there's a knee-jerk reaction to jack up where they are voted in the AGS poll. This year it looks like that team is Richmond (I will bet they don't make it past the round of 16 in the FCS playoffs).

It happened with Jacksonville State beating Ole Miss in 2010, Indiana State crushing WKU in 2011, with Youngstown State beating Pitt by 2 touchdowns in 2012, and with with McNeese State clobbering South Florida in 2013 just to name a few. None of those teams won an FCS playoff game and the Indiana State and YSU teams didn't even make the playoffs.

More often than not these teams are closer to what the consensus says they were preseason than what they appear to be. By the same token, I'm not ready to completely relegate Ark State and ULL to the basement.

Like chiefsfan says, though, we'll settle it in Mobile in 6 days.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2016 09:18 AM by EigenEagle.)
09-04-2016 09:16 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
GS was supposed to beat Savannah St. If they didn't or the game was close it still was an FCS team. Doesn't matter if the MAC east "sucks" Ohio still makes Bowl games consistently. Their last losing season was 2009.

We came into our game 21 point dogs. We had 14 guys that had ever played in an FBS game. Our DLine was 50 lbs on average, across the line, lighter than their OLine and our OLine was smaller than their D. We were picked 10 or 11th in the SBC and we won.

It's about this week's game only. Some people just refuse to give TXST any credit. We may suck and we may suck the rest of the year but this week those young men earned some respect.
09-04-2016 09:29 AM
Klak Offline
1st String

(09-04-2016 09:29 AM)CatMom Wrote:  GS was supposed to beat Savannah St. If they didn't or the game was close it still was an FCS team. Doesn't matter if the MAC east "sucks" Ohio still makes Bowl games consistently. Their last losing season was 2009.

We came into our game 21 point dogs. We had 14 guys that had ever played in an FBS game. Our DLine was 50 lbs on average, across the line, lighter than their OLine and our OLine was smaller than their D. We were picked 10 or 11th in the SBC and we won.

It's about this week's game only. Some people just refuse to give TXST any credit. We may suck and we may suck the rest of the year but this week those young men earned some respect.

Who are you even arguing against? TXST had a good win over an OOC opponent. Congrats.
09-04-2016 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.