Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt Week 1 Predictions
Bookmark and Share
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
One week away from the first games, so I thought it was time to go ahead and start these.

EDIT - fixed

Thursday Games:

Tennessee 31 App 20 - App is past due to play a good game against a Power 5 team. Their most competitive game against a P5 since beating Michigan was against LSU in 2008 where they lost by 27. Vols put it away late.

Idaho 45 Montana State 35 - Idaho should be able to take down a mediocre FCS team with a bad defense.

Friday Games:

Georgia State 20 Ball State 10 - State's defense wins it and gets Georgia State off to an undefeated start.

Arkansas State 27 Toledo 24 - Red Wolves win but don't feel better about themselves than they did preseason

Saturday Games:

Boise State 34 ULL 27 - Cajuns lose but feel better about the season, become consensus number 3 in week 3 power ratings.

Mississippi State 35 USA 10 - Bulldogs overwhelm South

Texas State 24 Ohio 21 - Upset pick, I will believe Texas State is a dumpster fire people make them out to be if this game gets out of hand.

Troy 56 Austin Peay 10 - Most lopsided game of the week other than...

Georgia Southern 77 Savannah State 6 - SSU is not good even by their own standards. Ellison, Upshaw, and Breida could all potentially top 100 yards rushing for this one. Score fewer than 60 and GS will probably drop from #3 in my SBC power rankings.

ULM 28 Southern 10 - Worst team in the SBC team or not, should not have a problem with a SWAC team

UTEP 35 NMSU 31 - Aggies come up short in shootout
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2016 07:53 AM by EigenEagle.)
08-25-2016 07:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
RE: Sun Belt Week 1 Predictions
Georgia State and Arkansas State both play on Friday, September 2nd
08-25-2016 07:47 AM
ButlerGSU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern
I hope you're wrong about the GS/SSU score...no reason any of our starters should be in long if we're up by 30 at any point.

We have enough young guys who could use the experience.
08-25-2016 07:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-25-2016 07:53 AM)ButlerGSU Wrote:  I hope you're wrong about the GS/SSU score...no reason any of our starters should be in long if we're up by 30 at any point.

We have enough young guys who could use the experience.

CTS will not get up 5 TDs and call it a day late in the first half. I suspect we let the foot off the gas early in the third quarter and the second string extends the lead like usual against SSU.
08-25-2016 07:56 AM
moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
I would take 31-20, but I'm thinking 34-17, I think Tenn plays it conservative, and Apps defense is good enough to make Tenn really work on the offensive side of the ball.
Idaho-42 MSU-21
GSU 24-Ball State 20
ASU 24 Toledo 20- ASU in a low scoring game because of new qb
Boise 42 ULL 21-Boise is the bench mark all other G5 schools are measured, and Boise has a really good team this year
Miss St 49 USA 10-this gets ugly quick
Texas St 24 Ohio 17- I can see the upset, Ohio's offense last year was awful, cant imagine it will dramatically improve to blowout Texas St.
Troy 49 Austin Peay-10- not worth watching
GS ? Savanna St?- refuse to give score because GS can score 80 if the want to, in terms of a quality opponent and a somewhat competitive game, real downer of a start for GS home opener, stadium should clear out by halftime.
ULM 24 Southern 7
UTEP 35 NMSU 24
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2016 08:06 AM by moehler.)
08-25-2016 08:01 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
The problem with predicting the GS game is that we can score at will so it really depends on how much Tyson Summers wants to run up the score to make a statement or play conservatively to keep our seniors fresh and give our other strings some game time.
08-25-2016 08:22 AM
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

Tennessee over App by 21
Idaho over Montana St by 10
GSU over Ball St by 7
stAte over Toledo by 10
Boise over ULL by 30
MSU over USA by 21
Ohio over Texas St by 14
Troy over Austin Peay by 28
GS over Savannah St by 42+
ULM over Southern by 17
UTEP over NMSU by 3
08-25-2016 08:59 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(08-25-2016 08:59 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Troy over Austin Peay by 28

I'll take that bet. It'll be 30-0 by halftime.
08-25-2016 09:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

(08-25-2016 09:35 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(08-25-2016 08:59 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Troy over Austin Peay by 28

I'll take that bet. It'll be 30-0 by halftime.

Maybe so just wasn't sure if Brown would let off the gas. Same thing with our game against Savannah St. Last time we played them we played second string from the 2nd qtr thru the 3rd and 3rd/4th sting in the 4th qtr and still beat them by 70 but I don't expect it to be that big of a margin this time. CTS just doesn't seem the type to want to run up the score that much.

04-cheers
08-25-2016 09:47 AM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

(08-25-2016 09:47 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Maybe so just wasn't sure if Brown would let off the gas. Same thing with our game against Savannah St. Last time we played them we played second string from the 2nd qtr thru the 3rd and 3rd/4th sting in the 4th qtr and still beat them by 70 but I don't expect it to be that big of a margin this time. CTS just doesn't seem the type to want to run up the score that much.

04-cheers

I honestly don't think CTS has any control over the situation. In 2014 we put our 2nd string in on our last drive of the first half after we were already up 41-0. Savannah State couldn't stop our scout team from scoring if they wanted to. Our very last drive of the game with 3rd team and scout teamers:

Brandan Thomas - 15 yards
Dennis Pritchard - 12 yards
Dennis Pritchard - 16 yards
Brandan Thomas - 7 yards
Brandan Thomas - 17 yards
Dennis Pritchard - 3 yards
Dennis Pritchard - 5 yards for a TD.
08-25-2016 10:18 AM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-25-2016 10:18 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  
(08-25-2016 09:47 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Maybe so just wasn't sure if Brown would let off the gas. Same thing with our game against Savannah St. Last time we played them we played second string from the 2nd qtr thru the 3rd and 3rd/4th sting in the 4th qtr and still beat them by 70 but I don't expect it to be that big of a margin this time. CTS just doesn't seem the type to want to run up the score that much.

04-cheers

I honestly don't think CTS has any control over the situation. In 2014 we put our 2nd string in on our last drive of the first half after we were already up 41-0. Savannah State couldn't stop our scout team from scoring if they wanted to. Our very last drive of the game with 3rd team and scout teamers:

Brandan Thomas - 15 yards
Dennis Pritchard - 12 yards
Dennis Pritchard - 16 yards
Brandan Thomas - 7 yards
Brandan Thomas - 17 yards
Dennis Pritchard - 3 yards
Dennis Pritchard - 5 yards for a TD.

Sounds like what we did to Texas Southern about 8 years ago when we scored 86. We didn't throw a pass in the 2nd half. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#WolvesUp
08-25-2016 10:20 AM
Advertisement

TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

(08-25-2016 10:20 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  Sounds like what we did to Texas Southern about 8 years ago when we scored 86. We didn't throw a pass in the 2nd half. lol

#WolvesUp

Yep, and the ONLY reason I like opening this season up with an FCS team is because we have an entirely new coaching staff. It gives us 4 quarters worth of live game reps for players to really see the system in action. I think playing someone like Sav. St. 3 or 4 games into the season is pointless, but having them as the first game with an entirely new staff is probably helpful.

I think in 2014 if we had played Sav. St first and then played NCST 2nd we may have had a slightly different outcome. Our defense being gassed in the 2nd half is what ultimately did us in. However, it was obvious during NCST's hurry-up many of our substitutes didn't really know where they were supposed to be on the field and had they played a game like Savannah St. first I think they would have been better prepared.

But yeah, we'll be up by 35+ points at half time and then about 10,000 students and fans will exit the stadium to go watch the other football games that are on TV.
08-25-2016 10:28 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-25-2016 10:28 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  Yep, and the ONLY reason I like opening this season up with an FCS team is because we have an entirely new coaching staff. It gives us 4 quarters worth of live game reps for players to really see the system in action. I think playing someone like Sav. St. 3 or 4 games into the season is pointless, but having them as the first game with an entirely new staff is probably helpful.

I think in 2014 if we had played Sav. St first and then played NCST 2nd we may have had a slightly different outcome. Our defense being gassed in the 2nd half is what ultimately did us in. However, it was obvious during NCST's hurry-up many of our substitutes didn't really know where they were supposed to be on the field and had they played a game like Savannah St. first I think they would have been better prepared.

But yeah, we'll be up by 35+ points at half time and then about 10,000 students and fans will exit the stadium to go watch the other football games that are on TV.

I doubt we play Tortoise and Hare with Savannah State. I think we go full throttle and will run the offense including trying out the new passing scheme to see what it looks like. If we're up 40+ in the second half we will hand it over the second string.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2016 10:31 AM by EigenEagle.)
08-25-2016 10:31 AM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-25-2016 10:28 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  
(08-25-2016 10:20 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  Sounds like what we did to Texas Southern about 8 years ago when we scored 86. We didn't throw a pass in the 2nd half. lol

#WolvesUp

Yep, and the ONLY reason I like opening this season up with an FCS team is because we have an entirely new coaching staff. It gives us 4 quarters worth of live game reps for players to really see the system in action. I think playing someone like Sav. St. 3 or 4 games into the season is pointless, but having them as the first game with an entirely new staff is probably helpful.

This conversation inspired me to go look it up. We were up 24-0 in the first 7 1/2 minutes. Haha

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rec...=282502032

#WolvesUp
08-25-2016 10:32 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(08-25-2016 10:32 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  This conversation inspired me to go look it up. We were up 24-0 in the first 7 1/2 minutes. Haha

#WolvesUp

Corey Leonard and Reggie Arnold...man that takes me back. Good times in the SBC.
08-25-2016 10:35 AM
gsuncc Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GaState, Charlotte

#WolvesUp

Not sure it's as beneficial as you suggest, only because the players won't be put in critical situations...talent alone will overwhelm SSU. Watching tape afterwards will help some, but generally, if there is a "critical situation" that the players can learn from, it won't be the first-teamers. Much rather play a better team for the challenge and learning "from mistakes" that can prepare the team. Of course, you want to get started by winning a game, but playing a team that comes no where near the talent GaSo will put on the field can also mask mistakes that the players don't learn how to fix.

I get playing SSU, but its benefits seem minimal to me...will barely be a scrimmage I suspect.
08-25-2016 10:37 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(08-25-2016 10:32 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  

#WolvesUp

This conversation inspired me to go look it up. We were up 24-0 in the first 7 1/2 minutes. Haha

#WolvesUp

If you'll remember, that was the day the Design Shoppe promised one percent off everything in the store for every point in our margin of victory in the opener.

They expected a 40 or so point game and a nice sale. For a good while in the first quarter, they were serious concerns we'd win by 100 and they'd have to give everything away free.

Then again, I don't like to think of that year because we beat A&M and Walloped Texas Southern our first two games, and still only finished 6-6.
08-25-2016 10:39 AM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-25-2016 10:39 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(08-25-2016 10:32 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  

#WolvesUp

#WolvesUp

If you'll remember, that was the day the Design Shoppe promised one percent off everything in the store for every point in our margin of victory in the opener.

They expected a 40 or so point game and a nice sale. For a good while in the first quarter, they were serious concerns we'd win by 100 and they'd have to give everything away free.

Then again, I don't like to think of that year because we beat A&M and Walloped Texas Southern our first two games, and still only finished 6-6.

Yep.

Steve Roberts era personified. That might have been the year when I really questioned if we could ever do it.

#WolvesUp
08-25-2016 10:40 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(08-25-2016 10:35 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(08-25-2016 10:32 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  This conversation inspired me to go look it up. We were up 24-0 in the first 7 1/2 minutes. Haha

#WolvesUp

Corey Leonard and Reggie Arnold...man that takes me back. Good times in the SBC.

For Troy, it was a fun memory, for an AState fan its painful. That was the first time that we clearly realized we had the talent to win the SBC, yet we still couldn't win on the road in conference play.

There were serious concerns at that point around here that we might never figure it out. It took Freeze coming in, and some incredible luck involving a rare Instant Replay overturn of a 1st down call to give us a win at WKU.

Since that day, only ULL, WKU, and Texas State have managed to beat us on their home field. The irony now is we're dominating SBC play, but we can't win OOC games suddenly, when it was the reverse in the Roberts era.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2016 10:53 AM by chiefsfan.)
08-25-2016 10:52 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

Side Note, this game was added to Youtube pretty recently.

It was a fun one for Troy, at least for a little while...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9knPj9haMIE
08-25-2016 11:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.