Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tampa Bay Times conducts nationwide media poll; UH and Cincy clear favorites
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Tampa Bay Times conducts nationwide media poll; UH and Cincy clear favorites
Big 12 Expansion Survey
(20 media members polled, schools listed with number of votes received)
Cincinnati: 16
Houston: 16
BYU: 9
UCF: 4
USF: 3
Memphis: 3
UConn: 2
Tulane: 1

Quote:Cincinnati and Houston are the overwhelming favorites to receive Big 12 invitations, according to a Tampa Bay Times survey of 20 media members nationwide.

The confidential survey polled media from newspapers, national websites, wire services and sites dedicated to covering a specific school. Beat writers were surveyed. So were columnists, and general college-football reporters.

All were asked the same question: Which two (or four) schools do you think will receive a Big 12 invitation? Cincinnati and Houston each appeared on 16 of the informal ballots, followed by BYU (nine), UCF (four) and USF (three).

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/medi...12/2289147
08-11-2016 10:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
RE: Tampa Bay Times conducts nationwide media poll; UH and Cincy clear favorites
Well, that settles it then.
08-11-2016 11:33 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
RE: Tampa Bay Times conducts nationwide media poll; UH and Cincy clear favorites
(08-11-2016 11:33 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Well, that settles it then.

Yup. Game, set, match!
08-11-2016 11:35 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
There is one problem, there is more schools on the west side of the Big 12 that are heavy favorites for the Big 12. Boise State, Colorado State, New Mexico and San Diego State are ones that come to mind.
08-12-2016 04:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
If only the nationwide panel of sportswriters were making the decision...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using CSNbbs mobile app
08-12-2016 05:12 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(08-12-2016 04:40 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  There is one problem, there is more schools on the west side of the Big 12 that are heavy favorites for the Big 12. Boise State, Colorado State, New Mexico and San Diego State are ones that come to mind.

But They are Not going in that direction so it is for naught.
08-12-2016 05:33 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
Drop BYU. I think you stick with the East coast. Next step would be Memphis/Tulane combo, Florida combo, or UConn/Temple combo. Think those programs need more time to build the football and/or academics though.

If you want football strength, I would add BYU/BSU football only. CSU has the same problems mentioned above. Stay east coast.
08-12-2016 06:23 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
National poll of people who know nothing about nothing decide....
08-12-2016 07:17 AM
ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
(08-11-2016 10:53 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Big 12 Expansion Survey

Quote:Cincinnati and Houston are the overwhelming favorites to receive Big 12 invitations, according to a Tampa Bay Times survey of 20 media members nationwide.

The confidential survey polled media from newspapers, national websites, wire services and sites dedicated to covering a specific school. Beat writers were surveyed. So were columnists, and general college-football reporters.

All were asked the same question: Which two (or four) schools do you think will receive a Big 12 invitation? Cincinnati and Houston each appeared on 16 of the informal ballots, followed by BYU (nine), UCF (four) and USF (three).

The problem with Houston is that it won't add any footprint to Big 12. Only Texas and Texas Tech support it. Everybody outside Texas is against it. I think we can easily eliminate Houston in early stage.

Cincinnati is a lock for West Virginia. The other is either BYU or UConn. Kansas and Oklahoma wants UConn to have another state flagship.
08-12-2016 07:29 AM
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(08-12-2016 07:29 AM)ArQ Wrote:  

The problem with Houston is that it won't add any footprint to Big 12. Only Texas and Texas Tech support it. Everybody outside Texas is against it. I think we can easily eliminate Houston in early stage.

Cincinnati is a lock for West Virginia. The other is either BYU or UConn. Kansas and Oklahoma wants UConn to have another state flagship.

We have now had 2 straw polls (media and Big 12 coaches), and the candidate that has topped them both is the candidate you want to "easily eliminate". That's funny.

Your pseudo-analysis is based on a bunch of tired and debunked myths. Here are the facts. The Big 12 is losing Houston to the SEC. If the Big 12 passes on UH and someone else takes them, the Big 12 will permanently become third fiddle in the soon to be 3rd largest city in the country, a city they supposedly "own".

If the FOUR (don't be disingenuous and say it's only UT and Tech; Baylor and TCU will vote with UT) Texas schools are set on Houston and the 6 outside of Texas are set on Cincy, it only makes sense to compromise on the two, put the duo to a vote, and pass it unanimously. Otherwise, each side can block the other and expansion goes no where.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2016 02:23 PM by Kronke.)
08-12-2016 02:09 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Ooooh! That gnashing of teeth!

Yeah, pretty much it's two. It's all but set in stone, at this point.

And in that case, I really don't see Memphis or Florida's with any realistic shot.
08-12-2016 03:41 PM
Johnny Incognito Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
(08-12-2016 02:09 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

We have now had 2 straw polls (media and Big 12 coaches), and the candidate that has topped them both is the candidate you want to "easily eliminate". That's funny.

Your pseudo-analysis is based on a bunch of tired and debunked myths. Here are the facts. The Big 12 is losing Houston to the SEC. If the Big 12 passes on UH and someone else takes them, the Big 12 will permanently become third fiddle in the soon to be 3rd largest city in the country, a city they supposedly "own".

If the FOUR (don't be disingenuous and say it's only UT and Tech; Baylor and TCU will vote with UT) Texas schools are set on Houston and the 6 outside of Texas are set on Cincy, it only makes sense to compromise on the two, put the duo to a vote, and pass it unanimously. Otherwise, each side can block the other and expansion goes no where.

That's a pretty good post, coog.
08-12-2016 03:44 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
Ho many votes does the "media" get?
08-12-2016 03:53 PM
Advertisement

EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
(08-12-2016 06:23 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Drop BYU. I think you stick with the East coast. Next step would be Memphis/Tulane combo, Florida combo, or UConn/Temple combo. Think those programs need more time to build the football and/or academics though.

If you want football strength, I would add BYU/BSU football only. CSU has the same problems mentioned above. Stay east coast.

Memphis/Tulane isn't east coast though....that's Southern

If you're doing East Coast, why not UCF and UConn?? A good Florida school and a flagship basketball power
08-12-2016 06:02 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(08-12-2016 07:17 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  National poll of people who know nothing about nothing decide....

[Image: baby-crying-MJ.0.png]
08-12-2016 06:05 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

Is the footprint of the Big XII all that important? Idk

Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulane, they don't do much "footprint"-wise...they're in the shadows of other conferences

If you want to build a footprint, why not add New Mexico, Colorado State, BYU, and Boise State
08-12-2016 06:11 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

(08-12-2016 02:09 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

If they're just adding 2, and they don't need markets, they don't need Houston

If they go to 14, and want to maintain a fair balance of Texas schools in each division, Houston is essential
08-12-2016 06:14 PM
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
pac 12 better grap hous or never get in tex [along with haw]
08-15-2016 08:08 PM
HawkeyeCoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
(08-12-2016 06:23 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Drop BYU. I think you stick with the East coast. Next step would be Memphis/Tulane combo, Florida combo, or UConn/Temple combo. Think those programs need more time to build the football and/or academics though.

Why would you drop the team that would #3 in the conference in football attendance, and #2 in the conference in basketball attendance? For two schools that have over $20M in athletic department subsidies, and still don't have the Revenue of BYU?

I think the media should start looking at the data.

[Image: CesXDSpWwAEXFLc.jpg]
08-16-2016 09:48 AM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(08-16-2016 09:48 AM)HawkeyeCoug Wrote:  

Why would you drop the team that would #3 in the conference in football attendance, and #2 in the conference in basketball attendance? For two schools that have over $20M in athletic department subsidies, and still don't have the Revenue of BYU?

I think the media should start looking at the data.

[Image: CesXDSpWwAEXFLc.jpg]

It's the Big 12. When they do make a move, it won't be based on anything remotely resembling logic.
08-16-2016 10:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.