I Root For: UNCW
Hawks hoops to offer cost of attendance
08-11-2016 09:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
I'm not sold either way that it's a good idea. I see positives and negatives for both sides. Tough call.
08-11-2016 11:59 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Hawks hoops to offer cost of attendance
Well I think it's a good thing. Removes a barrier/excuse recruits would have for not coming here.

In the grand scheme of things its really not a lot. Basketball players will get $ 250 a month per semester.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2016 07:29 AM by solohawks.)
08-12-2016 07:27 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
If you want to play with the big boys, you've got to compete with the big boys. Not a net gain, but at least not a net loss.
08-12-2016 11:15 AM
CeeHawk Offline
Water Engineer

I understand Title IX and all, but seriously, Nationally Competitive in Women's basketball. That's a publicity joke right? I'm sure you could find plenty of other championship women's programs that would recruit better National level players with that stipend.
08-13-2016 09:29 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Can we not pay the women, and pay the Diamond Hawks instead?
08-13-2016 10:27 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

You're such a sexist
08-13-2016 10:31 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

Like it or not, both basketball programs are fully funded and thus have to be treated the same. I'll withhold my other opinions on the program.

I fully agree we need the stipend for baseball too. And we need that program to, finally, be fully funded. I'm starting to wonder if some of us here, me included, can start a movement of sorts to make that happen. Any thoughts on first steps?
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2016 06:10 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
08-14-2016 06:08 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Yeah, my thought on the matter was since we are using the idea of national prominence and competition, our baseball team has been doing so longer and sustaining it. I won't denigrate any of our programs but baseball should be getting this too if it's truly to sustain national competitive levels of athletes.
08-14-2016 10:34 PM
swampcougar1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CofC
This is a situation if you do it can be bad and if you do not it can be bad. As for funding if for multiple sports it depends on your budget. Just for basketball alone you are putting out 52000 dollars a year. For every male team you do this for you have to comply with title IX and do it for an equal number of female athletes. Not many small schools have the budget to find multiple sports with a stipend. Basketball gives you the best return on dollars spent so it makes sense to start with basketball. Is it fair to all ths other athlete in your school. Not in my thoughts but life is not always faif
08-15-2016 07:16 AM
Alpha Hawk Offline
Water Engineer

What does fully funded in baseball mean?
08-15-2016 09:48 AM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

(08-15-2016 09:48 AM)Alpha Hawk Wrote:  What does fully funded in baseball mean?

It's a recurring dollar figure that covers both in-state and out-of-state players. Right now there's an in-state exemption but not out of state, so we can't really recruit outside of NC like we'd like to. And that's a problem, given how competitive it is to steal NC talent from the likes of UNC, NC State, and ECU.

In order to become fully funded, we would need to take the money needed for one student's out of state tuition, multiply it by 11.7, and that's the amount needed. By my figures it's around $325,000 needed per year. And that total needed would be a reoccurring annual amount.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2016 10:02 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
08-15-2016 10:01 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-15-2016 07:16 AM)swampcougar1 Wrote:  This is a situation if you do it can be bad and if you do not it can be bad. As for funding if for multiple sports it depends on your budget. Just for basketball alone you are putting out 52000 dollars a year. For every male team you do this for you have to comply with title IX and do it for an equal number of female athletes. Not many small schools have the budget to find multiple sports with a stipend. Basketball gives you the best return on dollars spent so it makes sense to start with basketball. Is it fair to all ths other athlete in your school. Not in my thoughts but life is not always faif

good point

now that we have basetball, we should be working towards getting baseball the money they deserve, even if that means softball gets extra money.
08-15-2016 11:53 AM
Proff Offline
1st String

Nation asked about first steps to fully funding baseball. A good start would be gettinng in on the Seroka challenge. The challenge gets fans to sign up to donate for each run and/or homerun that the Hawks produce over the year. The money goes to baseball scholarships.

Sent from my SM-G900V using CSNbbs mobile app
08-16-2016 09:36 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
Baseball needs better facilities to compete for recruits and the indoor hitting building would be a great first step. I don't think you have to have what CCU has but anything is better than nothing. When it rains or is really cold these guys can't practice at UNCW-they should have rented a place years ago. The stadium is not on a par with most D1 baseball stadiums that I have seen in this area and is basically a overgrown high school field. They would be hard pressed to ever get a super regional at home with the junk they have there now. At least now they don't have to dress in cars for the game or practice.
08-17-2016 07:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Mullet is actually spot on this time around. Upgrading the facilities is really the very first step. And luckily I'm hearing that the Chancellor is actually going to get directly involved in that process. Also a new Seahawk Club director is coming on board Aug 22, so sending concerns that way can't hurt either.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2016 08:07 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
08-17-2016 08:05 AM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

Agreed. That baseball stadium area has more untapped potential than any other athletic facilities on campus and it shouldn't have taken them this long to start making changes.
08-17-2016 08:50 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
Since the state of NC will not allow athletics to utilize state funds(beyond the AD salary), we are at a disadvantage against Coastal because South Carolina does allow it.
Best case scenario for UNCW is if they were to share a stadium with a minor league team in Wilmington.
08-21-2016 02:40 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

(08-21-2016 02:40 PM)82hawk Wrote:  Since the state of NC will not allow athletics to utilize state funds(beyond the AD salary), we are at a disadvantage against Coastal because South Carolina does allow it.
Best case scenario for UNCW is if they were to share a stadium with a minor league team in Wilmington.
True about state funds. That has put us behind the eight ball a lot (that's the reason there are classrooms in Trask). Two problems with working with a minor league team - on campus means no alcohol sales for a minor league team - off campus means not much student support. We need to keep playing on campus. If the alcohol issue could be taken care of it could be a good partnership. Not likely to happen though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using CSNbbs mobile app
08-21-2016 04:46 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

Apparently there is an area on campus that can be used for a new stadium to share with a minor league team and be able to sell beer. I hear it's all in the early stages, but very promising.
08-21-2016 05:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.