Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cord Cutters beware---Hulu ends free streaming
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Cord Cutters beware---Hulu ends free streaming
Eventually they all hav to make a profit.....

http://www.pcmag.com/news/346842/hulu-en...ng-service
08-09-2016 07:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Greenroom Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
RE: Cord Cutters beware---Hulu ends free streaming
(08-09-2016 07:23 AM)XLance Wrote:  Eventually they all hav to make a profit.....

Not sure what's changing? I pay 8 bucks and that is not changing.
08-09-2016 07:41 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
My understanding is that the former free Hulu content will be on a new service from Yahoo called Yahoo View.

http://mashable.com/2016/08/08/hulu-ending-free-service

(08-09-2016 07:41 AM)Greenroom Wrote:  Not sure what's changing? I pay 8 bucks and that is not changing.
Hulu's free service is PC only, and includes only the most recent episodes of shows.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2016 08:28 AM by orangefan.)
08-09-2016 08:26 AM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(08-09-2016 08:26 AM)orangefan Wrote:  My understanding is that the former free Hulu content will be on a new service from Yahoo called Yahoo View.

http://mashable.com/2016/08/08/hulu-ending-free-service

(08-09-2016 07:41 AM)Greenroom Wrote:  Not sure what's changing? I pay 8 bucks and that is not changing.
Hulu's free service is PC only, and includes only the most recent episodes of shows.

This. Just a new agreement with Yahoo which moved the free service over there.
08-09-2016 08:36 AM
jacksfan29 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: So Dak St/CU
(08-09-2016 07:41 AM)Greenroom Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 07:23 AM)XLance Wrote:  Eventually they all hav to make a profit.....

You can currently stream a lot of the content for free. If you pay the 8 bucks per month you get to view new episodes earlier. I've also heard they are headed towards more of a Sling model. They are owned by 21st Century, Comcast, Disney and NBC.
08-09-2016 08:55 AM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(08-09-2016 08:55 AM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  

You can currently stream a lot of the content for free. If you pay the 8 bucks per month you get to view new episodes earlier. I've also heard they are headed towards more of a Sling model. They are owned by 21st Century, Comcast, Disney and NBC.

Yeah, next year when they roll out there sling type package, it's supposed to have a lot more channels than sling. Oncey my contract with direct TV ends, I'm going to evaluate all these new options coming out there will be a lot of sling competitors next year.
08-09-2016 09:24 AM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
They need to go to more of a Netflix model and get rid of commercials. There is no way I am paying 8 bucks and still have to watch commercials.
08-09-2016 09:33 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
You must have a camel bladder. Not worth a couple bucks a month to me to get rid of commercials. People pay $200 a month for TV with commercials. Never seen Hulu run more than three in a row.
08-09-2016 09:38 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
goof, you're ridiculous. Commercials are never going away. They keep costs down. It's not worth it.

Don't forget people, a big chunk of Hulu was just purchased by Time Warner Inc (NOT TW Cable...), which owns several popular cable channels. Hulu is absolutely headed towards a "Sling model". The whole industry is headed to that model.
08-09-2016 09:47 AM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
(08-09-2016 09:24 AM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 08:55 AM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  

Yeah, next year when they roll out there sling type package, it's supposed to have a lot more channels than sling. Oncey my contract with direct TV ends, I'm going to evaluate all these new options coming out there will be a lot of sling competitors next year.
Direct TV also plans to offer a streaming package later this year or early next year. I cut the cord several years ago & currently have Netflix,Hulu& Sling TV.
08-09-2016 09:59 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

PS - I don't care what you say, if you're not getting your TV completely OTA for free then you're not a real cord-cutter!! 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2016 10:02 AM by MplsBison.)
08-09-2016 10:02 AM
Advertisement

mj4life Offline
1st String

(08-09-2016 10:02 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  PS - I don't care what you say, if you're not getting your TV completely OTA for free then you're not a real cord-cutter!! 04-cheers

I agree but you could also say that if you still have a broadband connection but use OTA antenna. I didn't have cable or internet connection for a year & a half by choice
08-09-2016 10:13 AM
Artifice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Beer
So $25-$30 for sling, a similar price for Hulu, Netflix/Amazon, HBO, etc plus broadband access, and then to properly surf for content you have to open up multiple apps? And that's with these services currently being indirectly supplemented by cable TV profits... who knows what the prices are gonna be in a true a la carte world?

"Cord cutting" seems like it is going to be clunky, and not that great of a value proposition for anyone who wants more than just the most barebones content, and no features (eg DVR, etc).

Google FiberTV aint cheap, but is looking more and more appealing.
08-09-2016 10:27 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs

Yeah, not exactly understanding the free streaming thing. They do that for a week.
08-09-2016 10:34 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Hulu has something like 6% market share. Nothing to see here. They may be looking to put some money on the bottom line to attract a buyer.
08-09-2016 10:45 AM
mj4life Offline
1st String

(08-09-2016 10:27 AM)Artifice Wrote:  So $25-$30 for sling, a similar price for Hulu, Netflix/Amazon, HBO, etc plus broadband access, and then to properly surf for content you have to open up multiple apps? And that's with these services currently being indirectly supplemented by cable TV profits... who knows what the prices are gonna be in a true a la carte world?

"Cord cutting" seems like it is going to be clunky, and not that great of a value proposition for anyone who wants more than just the most barebones content, and no features (eg DVR, etc).

Google FiberTV aint cheap, but is looking more and more appealing.

It's definitely not for everybody& their is a trade off in terms of how much content you have access to. I don't watch much TV since all a of my kids are grown & gone, so the Wife & I don't need or want 200 plus channels or the bundled contracts the cable companies push. The only reason we signed up for Sling is to get access to ESPN & Lifetime. We have no problem finding stuff to watch whether it be on Netflix,OTA or some of the free channels we downloaded via Roku like Crackle or CW Seed
08-09-2016 10:51 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

08-09-2016 10:52 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(08-09-2016 10:02 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  PS - I don't care what you say, if you're not getting your TV completely OTA for free then you're not a real cord-cutter!! 04-cheers

Word.
08-09-2016 10:56 AM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
My GF and I have sling (FS1, Comedy Central, Adult Swim, CNN, AMC, BBC America etc ect), I have a Netflix account, she has an Amazon Prime account, we use her mothers cable password to get HBO, Starz, Showtime, Encore, ESPN and the other apps for free and we use her brothers Hulu password. haha we're pretty much set.

Sling is great but I need a DVR option for sports. The Rutgers/Michigan game is the night of our anniversary. Needless to say I wont be watching that one, except for maybe the first quarter before we go out to dinner.
08-09-2016 11:03 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(08-09-2016 11:03 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  My GF and I have sling (FS1, Comedy Central, Adult Swim, CNN, AMC, BBC America etc ect), I have a Netflix account, she has an Amazon Prime account, we use her mothers cable password to get HBO, Starz, Showtime, Encore, ESPN and the other apps for free and we use her brothers Hulu password. haha we're pretty much set.

Sling is great but I need a DVR option for sports. The Rutgers/Michigan game is the night of our anniversary. Needless to say I wont be watching that one, except for maybe the first quarter before we go out to dinner.

ESPN replays basketball and football games. Not sure about BTN?
08-09-2016 11:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.