Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chip Brown Article: SEC would prefer OU/KU over OU/OSU
Bookmark and Share
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
Chip Brown Article: SEC would prefer OU/KU over OU/OSU
Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownHD · 1h1 hour ago

#BIG12 REALIGNMENT: Schools buying way in. TV partners possibly buying way out. #Texas needing #OU's help - again?

Read the article and then tried to copy and paste some but I messed that up on my new phone and lost my free look ins.

Anyway, due to Texas' request to get Houston in, UT has to trade or make a deal with OU to get the necessary votes. He's thinking 2 is more likely than 4 with possibly 3 P5 schools waiting on GOR's to end prior to thinking about switching.

SEC wise, he mentioned OU/OSU are not the SEC's ideal additions from the B12; OU/KU with OU in the west and KU in the east. Texas is not considered a real factor.

Could a 16 team two division conference work with that addition? Could 8 game schedule work or would we have to adjust it to 9 or change divisions every couple of years?
08-04-2016 11:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

RE: Chip Brown Article: SEC would prefer OU/KU over OU/OSU
SEC East:
Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas

SEC West:
Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Louisiana State, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma
08-04-2016 12:56 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-04-2016 12:56 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  SEC East:
Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas

SEC West:
Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Louisiana State, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma

I have no doubts that in a perfect world the SEC would prefer Oklahoma and Kansas over Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

But in no world in the universe would the SEC prefer to move Kansas (an extremely weak sister in football) into a division with Kentucky and Vanderbilt and a division that has suffered more weakness than that of their two perennial cellar dwellers.

Oklahoma and Kansas to the West along with Missouri, and Auburn and Alabama to the East would be a much more likely outcome.

SEC West:
Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Miss State, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M

That division makes sense. Oklahoma and L.S.U. as the annual contenders, the two Mississippi's, Missouri and A&M as those most likely to make a run to oust the top two.

SEC East:
Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.

That's a lot stronger East with most key rivals reunited.
08-04-2016 01:22 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
I do think Oklahoma State is going to be the price to get OU.

I don't see Kansas sliding into the East should a move like that materialize. It would be awfully awkward and as JR said, a significant competitive imbalance.

How about this?

SEC takes OU, OSU, KU, and TCU? We get 2 new markets in OK and KS. We also lock down Dallas and Kansas City. I don't think we have to worry about Kansas State here as I think the local politicians would realize how unpopular that brand is. They would simply relegate Kansas to irrelevance if they forced them to stay together.

ACC could take Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, and West Virginia
08-04-2016 03:20 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(08-04-2016 01:22 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-04-2016 12:56 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  SEC East:

SEC West:

I have no doubts that in a perfect world the SEC would prefer Oklahoma and Kansas over Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

But in no world in the universe would the SEC prefer to move Kansas (an extremely weak sister in football) into a division with Kentucky and Vanderbilt and a division that has suffered more weakness than that of their two perennial cellar dwellers.

Oklahoma and Kansas to the West along with Missouri, and Auburn and Alabama to the East would be a much more likely outcome.

SEC West:
Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Miss State, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M

That division makes sense. Oklahoma and L.S.U. as the annual contenders, the two Mississippi's, Missouri and A&M as those most likely to make a run to oust the top two.

SEC East:
Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.

That's a lot stronger East with most key rivals reunited.
As much as I like the East, Jr has a good scenario. Kansas has great academics, as well as a great BB team. Lord knows the SEC could use the help.
08-04-2016 06:01 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(08-04-2016 03:20 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I do think Oklahoma State is going to be the price to get OU.

I don't see Kansas sliding into the East should a move like that materialize. It would be awfully awkward and as JR said, a significant competitive imbalance.

How about this?

SEC takes OU, OSU, KU, and TCU?

TCU? SEC would be better off adding a market like WVU than TCU in that instance.
08-04-2016 06:10 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I agree.

OSU is not the last girl at the bar but she is her slightly younger sister.
08-04-2016 06:57 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(08-04-2016 06:10 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(08-04-2016 03:20 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I do think Oklahoma State is going to be the price to get OU.

How about this?

SEC takes OU, OSU, KU, and TCU?

TCU? SEC would be better off adding a market like WVU than TCU in that instance.

All in all, I don't think WVU is a great addition. I don't mind them, but they just don't bring much to the table now and the potential for that to change in the future is little.

The reason I'm high on TCU is that they've built a great program over the last 20 years. They did it mostly on G5 level resources. Imagine what they could do with SEC money and exposure.

It's even more than that. I think we need a 2nd school in TX to protect against any other league dominating the state. A&M brings a lot, but the state is so large and diverse that not even a school like that really nails down the state. In other words, we have a lot of room for growth there and I think we should take advantage of that. I've always wanted a 2nd FL school for the very same reason although it doesn't seem there will be a great option for that right now.

UT would be the ideal 2nd addition, but that's probably not happening. If it can't be them then I think it should be TCU. They are located in one of the largest media markets in the country, one that is still growing at that. Very few schools offer that. When you throw in the recruiting potential, I think having the SEC be the primary game in town for a city like Dallas will pay dividends in a variety of ways.

I know OU will bring a fair sized contingent of DFW residents to the SEC footprint, but OU doesn't dominate the region. Combine what A&M and OU give you and throw in a growing local product in TCU and DFW is officially SEC country. UT obviously would have a sizable fan base there, but they play in DFW once a year. TCU would be playing a full slate of SEC games. You have to ask yourself, who is going to get the media coverage in DFW in that scenario...UT, A&M, OU, and TCU. Everyone else will be an also ran.

At that point, I'd compare DFW to Atlanta. The SEC controls Atlanta although obviously there's a fair contingent of ACC fans there.

Outside of expanding our exposure in TX and FL, there are only 2 markets that are so large that they warrant the SEC's future considerations...NC and VA. That doesn't look like it's going to happen right now though. I think we have to look not only at new markets, but the growth of existing markets and what the demographics will look like in 20-50 years.
08-04-2016 10:53 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
(08-04-2016 11:57 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownHD · 1h1 hour ago

#BIG12 REALIGNMENT: Schools buying way in. TV partners possibly buying way out. #Texas needing #OU's help - again?

Read the article and then tried to copy and paste some but I messed that up on my new phone and lost my free look ins.

Anyway, due to Texas' request to get Houston in, UT has to trade or make a deal with OU to get the necessary votes. He's thinking 2 is more likely than 4 with possibly 3 P5 schools waiting on GOR's to end prior to thinking about switching.

SEC wise, he mentioned OU/OSU are not the SEC's ideal additions from the B12; OU/KU with OU in the west and KU in the east. Texas is not considered a real factor.

Could a 16 team two division conference work with that addition? Could 8 game schedule work or would we have to adjust it to 9 or change divisions every couple of years?

This makes more sense than that usual crap the media spews about OU with OSU.

- Kansas is a basketball power. Would be a good addition to Kentucky.

Kansas would be B1G bound though if OU and KS have invites to the B1G.
08-04-2016 10:56 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
TCU doesn't do much for me. They're a bad coaching hire away from being Vanderbilt
08-05-2016 03:17 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-05-2016 03:17 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  TCU doesn't do much for me. They're a bad coaching hire away from being Vanderbilt

Right! And if you have Oklahoma, or even Oklahoma State you don't even need them. Any of those three give a large enough piece of DFW when coupled with A&M.
08-05-2016 08:17 PM
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
Which is more likely:

Kansas building a decent to above average football team in the SEC

Or OK State improving academics enough to not be a "weight" on the conferences reputation?

Honest question. oK state is probably the better cultural fit and with better academics id have no issues with them in even if they do duplicate markets.

I like Kansas academic and basketball pedigree but they don't fit in sec. Id prefer isu.

On the other hand Ku and ok to sec shows up the big 10.

If I'm thinking like a president, I'm ok with Kansas. We will see.
08-05-2016 09:18 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-05-2016 09:18 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Which is more likely:

Kansas building a decent to above average football team in the SEC

Or OK State improving academics enough to not be a "weight" on the conferences reputation?

Honest question. oK state is probably the better cultural fit and with better academics id have no issues with them in even if they do duplicate markets.

I like Kansas academic and basketball pedigree but they don't fit in sec. Id prefer isu.

On the other hand Ku and ok to sec shows up the big 10.

If I'm thinking like a president, I'm ok with Kansas. We will see.

Yep. This is why when I was speculating about ESPN trying to dissolve the Big 12 on its own I was accepting of ISU, KU, OU, and OSU. Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas State, and either T.C.U. or W.V.U. could go ACC and it would be enough to end it.
08-05-2016 09:35 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
i vote for no expansion. i think the SEC is fine where it currently stands. Only school i would be fine adding from the big 12 is OU. the problem is that i dont see any other school being a fit to go along with them.
08-07-2016 07:41 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2016 07:41 PM)otown Wrote:  i vote for no expansion. i think the SEC is fine where it currently stands. Only school i would be fine adding from the big 12 is OU. the problem is that i dont see any other school being a fit to go along with them.

+1

I'm fine with no expansion.

I'm a believer that any expansion at this point, given what's on the table, will only serve to dilute the SEC.
08-08-2016 11:03 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(08-08-2016 11:03 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(08-07-2016 07:41 PM)otown Wrote:  i vote for no expansion. i think the SEC is fine where it currently stands. Only school i would be fine adding from the big 12 is OU. the problem is that i dont see any other school being a fit to go along with them.

+1

I'm a believer that any expansion at this point, given what's on the table, will only serve to dilute the SEC.
I don't think OSU dilutes the SEC. They have a great program and play on a pretty big stage.
08-08-2016 03:22 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2016 03:22 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

+1

I don't think OSU dilutes the SEC. They have a great program and play on a pretty big stage.

I'd have to disagree strongly with you.

I think OSU would be among the worst possible additions for a lot of reasons.

I'd call the athletic program and school well below average for this level.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 04:53 PM by HeartOfDixie.)
08-08-2016 04:51 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-08-2016 04:51 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

+1

Well actually OSU's athletic department has won 51 titles in a variety of sports, just not football. I think they would compliment what we already do well.

What two additions to the West would do is to reconstitute the core of the core of the old SEC sans the Mississippi schools and L.S.U.

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt cover just about all of our rivalries. L.S.U.'s oldest rivalries were with A&M and Ole Miss. Alabama can keep Miss State as a permanent rival and away we go.

I think expansion fixes more than it hurts at this point.
08-08-2016 05:59 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(08-08-2016 05:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

+1

Well actually OSU's athletic department has won 51 titles in a variety of sports, just not football. I think they would compliment what we already do well.

What two additions to the West would do is to reconstitute the core of the core of the old SEC sans the Mississippi schools and L.S.U.

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt cover just about all of our rivalries. L.S.U.'s oldest rivalries were with A&M and Ole Miss. Alabama can keep Miss State as a permanent rival and away we go.

I think expansion fixes more than it hurts at this point.

The only question is the academic side. Not sure how they rate, but their football program is pretty solid. We would have the Bedlam game within the SEC too. Would be their last game of the season. I think it works.
08-08-2016 07:12 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

+1

IIRC Oklahoma State just finished 13th in the latest Director's Cup standings.

OOPS!, my bad 18th (it was the Sooners that finished 14th)
Alabama, BTW finished 32nd.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 07:18 PM by XLance.)
08-08-2016 07:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.