Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

C.J. Gettys
Bookmark and Share
Coast2Coast Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNCW
C.J. Gettys
Is C.J. officially transferring? If so, where?

Coast2Coast
07-18-2016 10:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: C.J. Gettys
Yep he's gone. I don't have anything official, but I think his new school is in the Atlanta area.
07-18-2016 11:00 AM
Coast2Coast Offline
Water Engineer

That' a shame. This year's team is going to be really good but we are one big guy away from being great. I was really hoping we'd get a transfer to go along with C.J. and hoped he'd take his game to the next level. Oh well. I think Cacok has serious potential - hopefully he can really get it going this year!

Coast2Coast
07-19-2016 07:56 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
C.J. Gettys
Welcome C2C.
07-21-2016 01:45 AM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

C2C,
I was kinda thinking that same thing but it's hard to question the "MAN". Coach is VERY good so I'm gonna give him a little slack on this one. Yes, a dynamac big would have been great, but team unity is also huge plus APR. Big Chuck can do things running the floor and swatting on/off the ball plus has some skills so it's not all bad. I think that Coach probably thinks that Elmore needs some minutes right away. Just a guess on that. Yes, I liked CJ a whole lot (underated player for sure!), but the team should be good and Marcus was pretty dog gone good last year as well!
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2016 12:26 AM by billthebighawksfan.)
07-23-2016 12:22 AM
All American

And, yes I agree that Cacok has SERIOUS potential. Terrific athlete that can be a great 4 man! In this system, he can potentially be great. He has to embrace getting his shot mechanics together at the FT line and extended plus develop his handles. He's nice already! I like what Cacok brings for sure! And I'm sure that he's working on it. We all have to work on our games if we want to be the best ( I'm old now and just a coach). You have to add at least one more thing each each year to be good and I'm sure that he and much of the team is that way. It's a good group of young men that love ball. Credit the coach for finding guys like this. They know that they are good, but know that there's more out there. Good environment.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2016 01:08 AM by billthebighawksfan.)
07-23-2016 12:56 AM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2016 12:22 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  C2C,
I was kinda thinking that same thing but it's hard to question the "MAN". Coach is VERY good so I'm gonna give him a little slack on this one. Yes, a dynamac big would have been great, but team unity is also huge plus APR. Big Chuck can do things running the floor and swatting on/off the ball plus has some skills so it's not all bad. I think that Coach probably thinks that Elmore needs some minutes right away. Just a guess on that. Yes, I liked CJ a whole lot (underated player for sure!), but the team should be good and Marcus was pretty dog gone good last year as well!
I know we have beaten this dead horse before, but in order to make the next step and have a legit shot at a serious run, we need a big or two over 6'8. Those guys simply can't get it done even against scrubs like Plumlee.
07-23-2016 10:18 AM
geezerhawkdad Offline
2nd String

A lot of All-Americans would like to sign a 3 year deal with Knicks like Plumlee did. We can argue whether playing for the Knicks is really playing in the NBA, but they pay their players in US dollars like the other NBA teams.

There is no substitute for big guys who can run and jump like the Plumlees. Duke won 2 championships while the three were there.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2016 11:35 AM by geezerhawkdad.)
07-23-2016 11:34 AM
All American

The freshman from Jacksonville is big, skilled and can run and jump too so help should be on the way.
07-23-2016 02:23 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
I would not count on getting to much from a freshman big in the CAA. Elmore is pretty good but if he was ready for big minutes at this level he would be in the ACC somewhere.
I also don't get why my man hates the Plumlee kid so much. Good kid and very good athlete. He did flat out take it to the UNCW bigs on both ends.
07-26-2016 03:24 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
C.J. Gettys
(07-26-2016 03:24 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I would not count on getting to much from a freshman big in the CAA. Elmore is pretty good but if he was ready for big minutes at this level he would be in the ACC somewhere.
I also don't get why my man hates the Plumlee kid so much. Good kid and very good athlete. He did flat out take it to the UNCW bigs on both ends.

Blizzard seemed like he was ready for big minutes at this level as a freshman. Golds berry seemed ready. Neither of them were in the ACC anywhere.

I'm not comparing Elmore to those two greats pre-career, I'm just saying your ridiculous thought process, once again, is as flawed as a peach in an apple pie.

Not even a good effort this time Mullet. And hoops has always prefaced his anti-Plumlee sentiment by stating the fact he wasn't nearly as good as his brothers and essentially roads the coat tails of their success to a mediocre career at Duke, at best.
07-26-2016 10:00 PM
Advertisement

jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

Elmore is a good prospect but big guys typically take longer to develop at this level-just the way it is. The point is that most bigs that are ready to play land in a P5 conference and not a CAA. This has zero to do with Blizz or Goldsberry and that is just a poor comparison at best.You do get some guards that are ready to go from the jump every year in the CAA but bigs just don't happen as much. I know you want him to come in as a flat out stud but it rarely happens. I f Elmore is ever as good as Plumlee was as a 5th year senior he will be a great player for UNCW. Don't forget my man-I have been around basketball a long time and have seen a ton of really great bigs but damn few as freshmen.
Don't hate on Duke players just because they beat your team.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2016 10:51 PM by jumpinmullet.)
07-26-2016 10:47 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-26-2016 10:47 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Don't hate on Duke players just because they beat your team.

I hate on Plumlee because the dude was a freak, and really not that good for 90% of his career. He couldn't hold his brother's jocks
07-27-2016 07:00 AM
Hall of Famer

In this area Mullet is correct. Bigs do take a while to develop. But Cacok might be an exception. Kid's already a beast. I've been pumping him up since he arrived, and now he's very likely going to be the key to our entire season as a Sophomore.
07-27-2016 07:40 AM
surfsalot Offline
2nd String

(07-26-2016 10:47 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Elmore is a good prospect but big guys typically take longer to develop at this level-just the way it is. The point is that most bigs that are ready to play land in a P5 conference and not a CAA. This has zero to do with Blizz or Goldsberry and that is just a poor comparison at best.You do get some guards that are ready to go from the jump every year in the CAA but bigs just don't happen as much. I know you want him to come in as a flat out stud but it rarely happens. I f Elmore is ever as good as Plumlee was as a 5th year senior he will be a great player for UNCW. Don't forget my man-I have been around basketball a long time and have seen a ton of really great bigs but damn few as freshmen.
Don't hate on Duke players just because they beat your team.
I think the key to Elmore getting minutes is his ability to defend. That will be the deciding factor. I think we all agree he is a strong offensive threat, but Keatts won't play guys unless their D is up to par.
07-27-2016 10:12 AM
Hall of Famer

(07-27-2016 10:12 AM)surfsalot Wrote:  I think the key to Elmore getting minutes is his ability to defend. That will be the deciding factor. I think we all agree he is a strong offensive threat, but Keatts won't play guys unless their D is up to par.

It'll be a nice problem to have if we can avoid forcing Elmore onto the court before he's ready. With a starting lineup looking something like Talley/Richmond, Ingram, Bryce/Mosely, Flemmings, and Ogbodo/Cacok/Bryan, that should be the case.

Though unless Grundy makes big strides, which is certainly more than possible, there isn't an obvious backup "4" other than Elmore right now.
07-27-2016 10:26 AM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
Elmore will be able to provide defense at the 4 equal to or better than Flemmings...who started in that spot. He'll be able to rebound equal to or better than Flemmings...who started in that spot. He'll provide offense equal to or better than any other player on the roster who plays the 4...except Flemmings. Honestly, there really is no player more suited for that position in a Keatts system than Elmore on this roster. If this allows him to slide Flemmings to his more natural 3 spot, the wear and tear on Flemmings should be far less, and his ability produce even better.

The real problem is we have underside players and little offense at the 5 spot right now, so the 4 spot has to produce. We cannot compete overtime with undersized 5's and and undersized 4 on the court.

I see the following to start:

Richmond, Ingram, Flemmings, Elmore, Bryan

5- Bryan/Cacok/Ogbodo
4- Elmore/Grundy/Cacock/Flemmings
3 - Flemmings/Ingram
2. Ingram/Mosley
PG- Richmond/Fornes/Talley

Elmore is not a typical big. Although he is 6'8", he comes in with a polished outside game and deadly mid-range jumper. He is decent in the post, can run the floor, and can take it to the hoop or snare an alley oop and finish. He was overlooked in a small eastern NC school. If he had played in Charlotte or the triangle, he'd have gotten far more attention.
07-27-2016 04:14 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

(07-27-2016 04:14 PM)82hawk Wrote:  Elmore will be able to provide defense at the 4 equal to or better than Flemmings...who started in that spot. He'll be able to rebound equal to or better than Flemmings...who started in that spot. He'll provide offense equal to or better than any other player on the roster who plays the 4...except Flemmings. Honestly, there really is no player more suited for that position in a Keatts system than Elmore on this roster. If this allows him to slide Flemmings to his more natural 3 spot, the wear and tear on Flemmings should be far less, and his ability produce even better.

The real problem is we have underside players and little offense at the 5 spot right now, so the 4 spot has to produce. We cannot compete overtime with undersized 5's and and undersized 4 on the court.

I see the following to start:

Richmond, Ingram, Flemmings, Elmore, Bryan

5- Bryan/Cacok/Ogbodo
4- Elmore/Grundy/Cacock/Flemmings
3 - Flemmings/Ingram
2. Ingram/Mosley
PG- Richmond/Fornes/Talley

Elmore is not a typical big. Although he is 6'8", he comes in with a polished outside game and deadly mid-range jumper. He is decent in the post, can run the floor, and can take it to the hoop or snare an alley oop and finish. He was overlooked in a small eastern NC school. If he had played in Charlotte or the triangle, he'd have gotten far more attention.

I like Elmore a lot and saw play in high school but he played at a small school and I never saw him play vs a guy his size. The guys I saw him play were 6-2 to 6-4 and not very athletic. We know that will not be the case in the CAA and a lot of these schools play a small lineup which may bring him out on the floor to defend,not sure if he can guard off the dribble or not but he will have to stay on the floor at all I think. Under the basket he should be ok. I have no doubt he can score in the CAA and should see some time but I would back off putting any pressure on him to produce right away.
07-27-2016 05:39 PM
All American

Flemmings was the one of the best defenders on UNCW's team last year. To me Flemmings is more of a 3 playing 4 but is so good that he can play the 4. Nobody can guard him. Getting back...I think of Elmore being a 5 man in this system without question. At least for next year for sure because Keatts will have Flemmings at the 4 and I would think that Cacok would definitely be the other top 4 option. Cacok is going to get minutes, you know that. This is why Elmore, who is big and strong, likely plays the 5 not the 4.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2016 08:17 PM by billthebighawksfan.)
07-27-2016 08:14 PM
surfsalot Offline
2nd String

Playing Elmore at the 5 is a waste of talent. Kid can shoot deep 3's, mid-range, and can run the floor. He has been training with the Blizz all summer and it shows with his shot consistency . But in the end, Keatts knows what he is doing.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2016 09:01 PM by surfsalot.)
07-27-2016 09:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.