Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Historians on Donald Trump," feat. Ken Burns, David McCullough, Ron Churnow
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
"Historians on Donald Trump," feat. Ken Burns, David McCullough, Ron Churnow
Some of the country's foremost presidential historians have created a group called Historians On Donald Trump and released a set of videos.

--Pulitzer Prize winning John Adams and Harry Truman biographer and Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient (from GWB) David McCullough, whose presidential biographies have been adapted into HBO series', calls Trump "unhinged" and says he is "clearly unsuited" to be president.

--Ron Chernow, who wrote the biography of Alexander Hamilton that inspired the hit Broadway musical “Hamilton,” said the Trump campaign disturbed him more than “any other presidential campaign in our history.” “I’m disturbed by the words missing from the Trump campaign: Liberty, justice, freedom and tolerance,” Chernow said. “The only historical movement that Trump alludes to is a shameful one: America First,” he said, referring to Trump’s foreign policy slogan, which shares its name with an anti-Semitic group from the 1940s.

--Legendary documentary filmmaker Ken Burns says Trump is “a person who easily lies,” he continued; “who creates an environment where the truth doesn’t seem to matter, who has never demonstrated any interest in anyone or anything but himself and his own enrichment.” He is “an infantile, bullying man, who depending on his mood is willing to discard old and established alliances, treaties and long-standing relationships,” Burns said. His candidacy “is a political Ponzi scheme.” “Asking this man to assume the highest office in the land would be like asking a newly minted car driver to fly a 747,” he declared.

--Vicki Lynn Ruiz, a professor of history at The University of California, Irvine, put Trump’s hateful rhetoric toward immigrants in the context of anti-immigrant attitudes of the 20th century. She explained how the Ku Klux Klan targeted Catholics ― who were seen as “foreign agents” ― in the 1920s and how Congress passed the Johnson-Reed Act, which imposed immigration quotas, in 1924.

--Robert Caro, who has written extensively on strong-willed public figures like Lyndon Johnson and Robert Moses, called Trump a “demagogue” who appeals to the ugliest parts of human nature. “History tells us we shouldn’t underestimate him,” Caro said. History is full of demagogues and sometimes rise to the very heights of power by appealing to things that are unfortunately a part of human nature: racism, which I think is a part of human nature no matter how hard we try, and excessive virulent patriotism that goes by the name xenophobia.”
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2016 02:22 PM by Max Power.)
07-13-2016 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: "Historians on Donald Trump," feat. Ken Burns, David McCullough, Ron Churnow
Shocker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
07-13-2016 02:16 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
RE: "Historians on Donald Trump," feat. Ken Burns, David McCullough, Ron Churnow
He's a Shakespearean figure that will go down in American History probably as a combination of Joe McCarthy and PT Barnum. If he becomes president, I could see him as America's first dictator.
07-13-2016 02:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.