Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the Big 12 stays at 10, if & how long b4 BYU joins the AAC & who joins with them?
aac4life Offline
Banned

I Root For: BigEastHomo
If the Big 12 stays at 10, if & how long b4 BYU joins the AAC & who joins with them?
Boise State? Air Force? Army? Hypothetically speaking of course...
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 09:00 AM by aac4life.)
07-09-2016 05:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
RE: If the Big 12 stays at 10, if & how long b4 BYU joins th AAC and who joins with them?
Lets pretend UC and Memphis aren't being announced to B12 soon....

I would go to 16: add Boise, AF, SDSU, Col St.,

Gives us coast to coast best of rest, kills MWC, our only other competition to the NY6 Bowl (ACC did same thing to Big East and it worked beautifully for them)

West
Boise
AF
SDSU
Col St
Tulsa
UH
SMU
Tulane

East
UC
Memphis
UCF
USF
ECU
UCONN
Temple
Navy
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 06:53 AM by Bearcats#1.)
07-09-2016 06:52 AM
isidnirb Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
RE: If the Big 12 stays at 10, if & how long b4 BYU joins th AAC and who joins wit...
(07-09-2016 06:52 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Lets pretend UC and Memphis aren't being announced to B12 soon....

Gives us coast to coast best of rest, kills MWC, our only other competition to the NY6 Bowl (ACC did same thing to Big East and it worked beautifully for them)

West
Boise
AF
SDSU
Col St
Tulsa
UH
SMU
Tulane

East
UC
Memphis
UCF
USF
ECU
UCONN
Temple
Navy

Pretend: speak and act so as to make it appear that something is the case when in fact it is not.

You need to wake up. It ain't happening.

Insanity: : something that is very foolish or unreasonable. 01-wingedeagle
07-09-2016 08:07 AM
aac4life Offline
Banned

RE: If the Big 12 stays at 10, if & how long b4 BYU joins th AAC and who joins wit...
(07-09-2016 06:52 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Lets pretend UC and Memphis aren't being announced to B12 soon....

West
Boise
AF
SDSU
Col St
Tulsa
UH
SMU
Tulane

East
UC
Memphis
UCF
USF
ECU
UCONN
Temple
Navy

That's not going to happen, because Boise is to the MWC as Texas is to the Big 12 and receives a larger share of revenue (and TV exposure) than the rest of the MWC members (one which works out to more money than what they would get in the current AAC deal). In a 16 member AAC, they would get even less. The same is true with BYU getting more money from ESPN as an independent than they would with the AAC, which is why they have yet to join. The only difference is, unlike Boise, BYU has no access to a NY6 bowl, unless they have a difficult schedule and go undefeated. If the Big 12 doesn't expand, their only recourse, outside of a P5 invite, is to eventually join the AAC in order to get a shot at a NY6 bowl.
07-09-2016 08:16 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
I wouldn't mind taking Army and Air Force FB only.
07-09-2016 08:23 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(07-09-2016 08:16 AM)aac4life Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 06:52 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  West
Boise
AF
SDSU
Col St
Tulsa
UH
SMU
Tulane

East
UC
Memphis
UCF
USF
ECU
UCONN
Temple
Navy

That's not going to happen, because Boise is to the MWC as Texas is to the Big 12 and receives a larger share of revenue (and TV exposure) than the rest of the MWC members (one which works out to more money than what they would get in the current AAC deal).

I like the idea of crippling the MWC. Especially if there's going to be a P5 split in a few years.

I also know our Presidents have hard feelings for Boise after the way they backed out at the last minute.

So why not cripple the Boise AND the MWC?

Take Air Force, Colo State, San Diego St and Fresno St. Get the Denver and San Diego TV markets. Get three of the top MWC academic schools. Get three of the top MWC football attendance schools.

At the very least, adding these four schools gives you bargaining power and leverage over Boise (and BYU).

The problem is, Colo St, SDSU, Fresno and Air Force aren't likely to make a lateral move.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 08:36 AM by CougarRed.)
07-09-2016 08:34 AM
Advertisement

aac4life Offline
Banned

(07-09-2016 08:23 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  I wouldn't mind taking Army and Air Force FB only.

Having all the services in conference would do wonders for the AAC in terms of the prestige associated with the history of academies, but Air Force and its AD are attached with an umbilical cord to the MWC and Army is afraid it won't be able to compete in the AAC ( just like when they were in the CUSA).

BTW, does Notre Dame have the same deal as with the BCS in terms of access to the playoff/NY6, or do they have to go undefeated or finish ranked in the top 4 ( like BYU currently has to)? If they do, now that BYU is considered an OOC P5 opponent, do you think BYU will eventually get the same deal as Notre Dame?
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 08:49 AM by aac4life.)
07-09-2016 08:42 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: If the Big 12 stays at 10, if & how long b4 BYU joins th AAC and who joins with them?
Any additions to the AAC will depend on it getting tv money that will separate it from the other G5. If that is not happening then I don't see the league expanding.

Now if the league got a bump to 8 million per team and the MWC got 2-4 mill then I could see the league adding some.
07-09-2016 08:47 AM
aac4life Offline
Banned

(07-09-2016 08:47 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Any additions to the AAC will depend on it getting tv money that will separate it from the other G5. If that is not happening then I don't see the league expanding.

Agreed

Now if the league got a bump to 8 million per team and the MWC got 2-4 mill then I could see the league adding some.

After seeing what CUSA got on their latest deal, do you think 8 million per team is feasible for the AAC?
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 08:58 AM by aac4life.)
07-09-2016 08:57 AM
aac4life Offline
Banned

RE: If the Big 12 stays at 10, if & how long b4 BYU joins the AAC & who joins with them?
BTW, does Notre Dame have the same deal as with the BCS in terms of access to the playoff/NY6, or do they have to go undefeated or finish ranked in the top 4 ( like BYU currently has to)? If they do, now that BYU is considered an OOC P5 opponent, do you think BYU will eventually get the same deal as Notre Dame?

Anyone?
07-09-2016 09:41 AM
MemphisTigerFreak Offline
Fear God, Not Man

I Root For: Memphis
RE: If the Big 12 stays at 10, if & how long b4 BYU joins the AAC & who joins with them?
In NCAA14 this worked pretty well with a zipper format with permanent cross over paired.

Memphis-Cincinnati
UCF-USF
Temple-UConn
East Carolina-Navy
SMU-Houston
BYU-Boise State

Add in Tulane-Tulsa and we've got our 14. Tho Boise won't leave their gravy setup.
07-09-2016 09:49 AM
Advertisement

Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
RE: If the Big 12 stays at 10, if & how long b4 BYU joins the AAC & who joins ...
(07-09-2016 08:57 AM)aac4life Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 08:47 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Any additions to the AAC will depend on it getting tv money that will separate it from the other G5. If that is not happening then I don't see the league expanding.

Agreed

After seeing what CUSA got on their latest deal, do you think 8 million per team is feasible for the AAC?

Feasible yes. Probable, no.

The American has done well on the field and courts. It's viewership is growing both on TV and in the stands. It's teams are competitive and many play an up tempo fast passed fun to watch style. The problem is that no one knows what ESPN is willing to pay to keep the American or what any competitor (if any), is willing to pay to grab them. Until the later is known, we'll all be waiting and wondering. 04-cheers
07-09-2016 09:52 AM
Jayesseagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
If the Big 12 stays at 10, if & how long b4 BYU joins the AAC & who joins wit...

West
Boise
AF
SDSU
Col St
Tulsa
UH
SMU
Tulane

East
UC
Memphis
UCF
USF
ECU
UCONN
Temple
Navy

This just gets to me...y'all want to add teams like BYU, AF, SDSU, and Colorado St ??? I can understand BYU..but those other 3 ? Are you serious? Ask yourselves, do you want the AAC to be filled with teams that present a strong competitive league on the field, the court, and on the diamond...or do you want the AAC to be filled with teams that are across the nation that create long travel, no competition, no true rivals...only based on TV markets ? San Diego St ? Colorado St ? Air Force ? BYU is the only one mentioned that had any kind of football presence of those mentioned...but it's still no logic to add them because of where they are located. I know I'm biased but the one that make the most sense to be added are Southern Miss....and Northern Illinois (savcool), period! Both of these programs are proud, competitive on the field year in and year out..and both need that extra help to reach that next level which would help both schools and the AAC. Most of you in the AAC are very knowledgeable about USM, even way before CUSA was ever created..and we've had good relationships with you all. You know what Southern Miss and Northern Illinois can and will bring to the table..a strong presence on the field, recruiting, chances to make the AAC banner proud with bowls, championships, and possibly another 2 teams to compete for the Access bowl.

It seems to me that the members of the AAC want to water down the league with teams that aren't going to be too competitive so it won't take away from the higher ups in the AAC already, but just add them for money and markets but won't be a factor of knocking them from the catbirds seat atop the standings. You know what programs like Southern Miss and Northern Illinois can do with resources as you all have. Both of the schools can compete with you all now being in CUSA and the MAC even those two conferences are below the AAC in rankings but the fear of them passing you by by joining the AAC scares most of you. Look at how it was when we were all on the same leveling field in CUSA..! I didn't post this to say that any member of the AAC is not competitive on an aspect but you all know this. It's as plain as black and white...USM and NIU would be 2 of the best choices the AAC could add!
07-09-2016 10:08 AM
isidnirb Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
RE: If the Big 12 stays at 10, if & how long b4 BYU joins the AAC & who joins ...
(07-09-2016 10:08 AM)Jayesseagle Wrote:  

West
Boise
AF
SDSU
Col St
Tulsa
UH
SMU
Tulane

East
UC
Memphis
UCF
USF
ECU
UCONN
Temple
Navy

This just gets to me...y'all want to add teams like BYU, AF, SDSU, and Colorado St ??? I can understand BYU..but those other 3 ? Are you serious? Ask yourselves, do you want the AAC to be filled with teams that present a strong competitive league on the field, the court, and on the diamond...or do you want the AAC to be filled with teams that are across the nation that create long travel, no competition, no true rivals...only based on TV markets ? San Diego St ? Colorado St ? Air Force ? BYU is the only one mentioned that had any kind of football presence of those mentioned...but it's still no logic to add them because of where they are located. I know I'm biased but the one that make the most sense to be added are Southern Miss....and Northern Illinois (savcool), period! Both of these programs are proud, competitive on the field year in and year out..and both need that extra help to reach that next level which would help both schools and the AAC. Most of you in the AAC are very knowledgeable about USM, even way before CUSA was ever created..and we've had good relationships with you all. You know what Southern Miss and Northern Illinois can and will bring to the table..a strong presence on the field, recruiting, chances to make the AAC banner proud with bowls, championships, and possibly another 2 teams to compete for the Access bowl.

It seems to me that the members of the AAC want to water down the league with teams that aren't going to be too competitive so it won't take away from the higher ups in the AAC already, but just add them for money and markets but won't be a factor of knocking them from the catbirds seat atop the standings. You know what programs like Southern Miss and Northern Illinois can do with resources as you all have. Both of the schools can compete with you all now being in CUSA and the MAC even those two conferences are below the AAC in rankings but the fear of them passing you by by joining the AAC scares most of you. Look at how it was when we were all on the same leveling field in CUSA..! I didn't post this to say that any member of the AAC is not competitive on an aspect but you all know this. It's as plain as black and white...USM and NIU would be 2 of the best choices the AAC could add!

Good points and arguments. But...
07-09-2016 10:14 AM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
(07-09-2016 05:48 AM)aac4life Wrote:  Boise State? Air Force? Army? Hypothetically speaking of course...

Just my opine, but the Big12 has always been a Texas-centric league in their perception of themselves. I think folks down that/this way like the idea that the religious schools are with them for the most part - Baylor and TCU as long as they are competitive. So I think there is a better than 50% chance they would rob from the indepepndent ranks for BYU and talk to Notre Dame about full membership in their league . Since both are indefependent (in FB) that makes it an easy transition.

But I'm not sure they really want to "share" if they don't have to.
07-09-2016 10:19 AM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
If the Big 12 stays at 10, if & how long b4 BYU joins the AAC & who joins wit...
(07-09-2016 10:08 AM)Jayesseagle Wrote:  

West
Boise
AF
SDSU
Col St
Tulsa
UH
SMU
Tulane

East
UC
Memphis
UCF
USF
ECU
UCONN
Temple
Navy

Although NIU has done well as of late their fan support and location are not of interest and don't fit the profile. AFA is insurance and the point of this excersize was to cut the heart out of the MWC. In that vein my preference would be BYU,CSU, AFA and SDSU.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 08:19 PM by Knightbengal.)
07-09-2016 10:33 AM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(07-09-2016 08:16 AM)aac4life Wrote:  

West
Boise
AF
SDSU
Col St
Tulsa
UH
SMU
Tulane

East
UC
Memphis
UCF
USF
ECU
UCONN
Temple
Navy

That's not going to happen, because Boise is to the MWC as Texas is to the Big 12 and receives a larger share of revenue (and TV exposure) than the rest of the MWC members (one which works out to more money than what they would get in the current AAC deal). In a 16 member AAC, they would get even less. The same is true with BYU getting more money from ESPN as an independent than they would with the AAC, which is why they have yet to join. The only difference is, unlike Boise, BYU has no access to a NY6 bowl, unless they have a difficult schedule and go undefeated. If the Big 12 doesn't expand, their only recourse, outside of a P5 invite, is to eventually join the AAC in order to get a shot at a NY6 bowl.

even with boise's sweetheart deal they only make about 4.5 mil a year, the AAC could make more than that without them in 2018, now add byu and we'd 100% get that without them
then add the fact the rest of the mwc makes 1.5 mil each...if byu becomes committed to the AAC that means sdsu has found its partner ..sdsu will jump instantenously in my opinion, and other mwc might follow..
if we take mwc schools, boise will not be the first, they will join in fear of a weakened mwc after we take others
07-09-2016 10:38 AM
aac4life Offline
Banned

(07-09-2016 10:19 AM)rabidTU2 Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 05:48 AM)aac4life Wrote:  Boise State? Air Force? Army? Hypothetically speaking of course...

Just my opine, but the Big12 has always been a Texas-centric league in their perception of themselves. I think folks down that/this way like the idea that the religious schools are with them for the most part - Baylor and TCU as long as they are competitive. So I think there is a better than 50% chance they would rob from the indepepndent ranks for BYU and talk to Notre Dame about full membership in their league . Since both are indefependent (in FB) that makes it an easy transition.

But I'm not sure they really want to "share" if they don't have to.

Notre Dame to the Big 12? I don't think so, because they have a scheduling agreement with the ACC through 202? and they have their own lucrative TV contract with NBC. They would have joined the ACC for football/full membership, if they wanted to join a conference; why would they want to join the Big 12 now?

While we're on the subject of Notre Dame again...does Notre Dame have the same deal as with the BCS in terms of access to the playoff/NY6, or do they have to go undefeated or finish ranked in the top 4 ( like BYU currently has to)? If they do, now that BYU is considered an OOC P5 opponent, do you think BYU will eventually get the same deal as Notre Dame?
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 11:35 AM by aac4life.)
07-09-2016 10:38 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats

Here's the fundamental flaw in your question:
THEY DON'T WANT TO JOIN THE AAC!
-Air Force doesn't want to join the AAC.
-Boise State doesn't want to join the AAC.
-Colorado State doesn't want to join the AAC.

Apparently the only school that wants to join the AAC is Northern Illinois. So, start there.
07-09-2016 10:46 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(07-09-2016 10:08 AM)Jayesseagle Wrote:  This just gets to me...y'all want to add teams like BYU, AF, SDSU, and Colorado St ??? I can understand BYU..but those other 3 ? Are you serious? Ask yourselves, do you want the AAC to be filled with teams that present a strong competitive league on the field, the court, and on the diamond...or do you want the AAC to be filled with teams that are across the nation that create long travel, no competition, no true rivals...only based on TV markets ? San Diego St ? Colorado St ? Air Force ? BYU is the only one mentioned that had any kind of football presence of those mentioned...but it's still no logic to add them because of where they are located. I know I'm biased but the one that make the most sense to be added are Southern Miss....and Northern Illinois (savcool), period! Both of these programs are proud, competitive on the field year in and year out..and both need that extra help to reach that next level which would help both schools and the AAC. Most of you in the AAC are very knowledgeable about USM, even way before CUSA was ever created..and we've had good relationships with you all. You know what Southern Miss and Northern Illinois can and will bring to the table..a strong presence on the field, recruiting, chances to make the AAC banner proud with bowls, championships, and possibly another 2 teams to compete for the Access bowl.

we are aware colorado state was in the top 25 most of the 2014 season, and sdsu is the projected #2 G5 team next year after houston

byu is a proven contender, boise is a proven contender,
sdsu and colo st fit the mold of what the league is now, team in major markets willing to spend a ton of money to be competitive
sdsu has a ton of potential aswell with cali recruiting grounds if they can get some aac tv deal exposure

i dont think it has anything to do with being scared of competition
07-09-2016 10:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.