Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Report: Wichita State Interested in Joining MWC for Football
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
Report: Wichita State Interested in Joining MWC for Football
mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/25576548/wichita-state-interested-in-joining-mountain-west-may-bring-back-football

"Individuals representing Wichita State’s athletic interests have approached the Mountain West Conference about membership, multiple sources told CBS Sports...The 12-member Mountain West only has 11 basketball-playing members as Hawaii plays basketball in the Big West. Wichita State may value its basketball on a larger stage with momentum created by highly successful coach Gregg Marshall...Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said he did not have direct contact with Bardo or Wichita State officials. He added that if Wichita State plans to park its basketball program in a new conference, “It ain’t going to be us.'...Other possibilities for the Shockers, including the American Athletic Conference and Conference USA, have been mentioned by various sources."
05-03-2016 08:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChooChoo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia State
RE: Report: Wichita State Interested in Joining MWC for Football
That was a strange response from Craig Thompson. You have probably the top basketball program in the mid-majors (better than 3/4 of the "majors"), seemingly express interest in you conference and you respond with, “It ain’t going to be us".
Are we sure that was his response to 'giving WSU a place to land'? or possibly a response to 'will WSU choose to pursue the MWC'?
Is he really that bad of a liar or is he really that undiplomatic? Because to me, it appears there is something to it now. The commissioner doth protest too much, methinks.
05-04-2016 06:53 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(05-04-2016 06:53 AM)ChooChoo Wrote:  That was a strange response from Craig Thompson. You have probably the top basketball program in the mid-majors (better than 3/4 of the "majors"), seemingly express interest in you conference and you respond with, “It ain’t going to be us".
Are we sure that was his response to 'giving WSU a place to land'? or possibly a response to 'will WSU choose to pursue the MWC'?
Is he really that bad of a liar or is he really that undiplomatic? Because to me, it appears there is something to it now. The commissioner doth protest too much, methinks.

Definitely an odd quote. Even if true why be so blunt about it? I could see them not wanting an upstart football team but their basketball would be a solid addition. Maybe they think they don't need them though.
05-04-2016 07:14 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I think Craig is realignmented out. Remember he guided the American South - Sun Belt merger and has been with MWC since day 1.

Let's be realistic though.

Wichita State's value is hoops. The MWC has 11 hoops members. MWC has 12 football members and they are likely to be a regular contender for the access slot. Wichita makes sense to be their 12th hoops member and the MWC has never bothered to add them. Bringing a start-up football team that will weaken the average strength of MWC football is a liability and makes them less attractive to MWC than they currently are.
05-04-2016 10:36 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(05-04-2016 10:36 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  I think Craig is realignmented out. Remember he guided the American South - Sun Belt merger and has been with MWC since day 1.

Wichita State's value is hoops. The MWC has 11 hoops members. MWC has 12 football members and they are likely to be a regular contender for the access slot. Wichita makes sense to be their 12th hoops member and the MWC has never bothered to add them. Bringing a start-up football team that will weaken the average strength of MWC football is a liability and makes them less attractive to MWC than they currently are.

well they wouldnt be a startup program as they played football before. they are pretty competitive in all the sports they offer now and have more support and money to spend now than when they last fielded a team so it doesnt seem like too crazy an idea. because of the success of their hoops and baseball they may feel like they would be stepping down a little to play in the sbc or cusa, so the mwc would be the most likely conf. to target.
05-06-2016 07:33 AM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Other than history, they would be a startup. Baseball in the SBC has historically been solid, beating some P5 conferences in some years. The last few years have been kinda dry. The newcomers in UTA and TXST share that blame as they haven't played where they've been before. With USA starting to get back where they have historically been, Louisiana stating where they've been the last few years and the addition of CCU next year, there's little doubt the SBC will get back to where it normally has been.

Basketball is legit, bit seeing what Little Rock and Georgia State dis in the tourney, plus where UTA looks like their going in two years, basketball may be rising all over.
05-06-2016 02:01 PM
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

(05-06-2016 02:01 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Other than history, they would be a startup. Baseball in the SBC has historically been solid, beating some P5 conferences in some years. The last few years have been kinda dry. The newcomers in UTA and TXST share that blame as they haven't played where they've been before. With USA starting to get back where they have historically been, Louisiana stating where they've been the last few years and the addition of CCU next year, there's little doubt the SBC will get back to where it normally has been.

Basketball is legit, bit seeing what Little Rock and Georgia State dis in the tourney, plus where UTA looks like their going in two years, basketball may be rising all over.

I'd say the sports programs at uta overall are trending upward. there is more staff and it seems that more money is being spent and with facilities upgrades the recruiting should get better. this season baseball has under performed and the recruiting class doesnt look that impressive but softball has signed a really good group for next season so they are really looking up and both basketball teams look good for next season.
05-07-2016 07:24 AM
Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
Well Sunbelt needs to make a push for Wichita State, and Missouri State. Put us back to twelve, and would help us put our basketball on the map, and make baseball a world class conference. The big question mark would be the most important of them all Football.

West:
ULM
UL
TxSt
Ark St
WSU
MSU

East:
GaSo
GSU
USA
App St
CCU
Troy
05-07-2016 07:56 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
I think I'd be alright with that lineup.

And then put the football championship game in Jackson, MS, right in the middle of the conference.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 08:13 AM by Usajags.)
05-07-2016 08:12 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(05-07-2016 08:12 AM)Usajags Wrote:  I think I'd be alright with that lineup.

And then put the football championship game in Jackson, MS, right in the middle of the conference.

Isn't Jackson really ghetto? Never been but that's what I've heard. Also what sites (cities plus stadiums) would be good for a SBC championship game to be played? I honestly think we should make it a priority to be less than 40k seats because it's not likely to sell more than that and I would hate to seen a 75% empty stadium on national television. Thoughts? What about Alabama States stadium?
05-07-2016 08:38 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

What about Shreveport independence stadium?
05-07-2016 08:42 AM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Could always do it at the Cramton Bowl, only 20k seats, so should be easy to fill, but also be a home game for Troy or us. Could do it at the Superdome, just open the lower bowl. Or wait until Birmingham opens their new stadium(nothing started yet) and play there. There are options out there.
05-07-2016 08:59 AM
Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

(05-07-2016 08:38 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

Isn't Jackson really ghetto? Never been but that's what I've heard. Also what sites (cities plus stadiums) would be good for a SBC championship game to be played? I honestly think we should make it a priority to be less than 40k seats because it's not likely to sell more than that and I would hate to seen a 75% empty stadium on national television. Thoughts? What about Alabama States stadium?

This is the new stadium being built in Jackson, 50,000 seat stadium.

[Image: Stadium-mainpage.jpg]
05-07-2016 09:44 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(05-07-2016 09:44 AM)Bigtom12 Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 08:38 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

This is the new stadium being built in Jackson, 50,000 seat stadium.

[Image: Stadium-mainpage.jpg]

It's nice but how is the city? Would it be a good place to travel to from, say, SC?
05-07-2016 03:59 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Fans from SC will fell right at home in MS, plenty confederate flags.
05-07-2016 04:42 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Um, what are they building a 50,000 seat stadium in Jackson? There's no college there except Jackson State. There will definitely be no NFL team there.

What games would be played there at all?
05-07-2016 05:09 PM
Advertisement

Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

(05-07-2016 05:09 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  Um, what are they building a 50,000 seat stadium in Jackson? There's no college there except Jackson State. There will definitely be no NFL team there.

Well Jackson State would play in this dome stadium, idk how many people go to Jackson State games but the stadium they play in now holds 60,500 people. Idk if they plan on tearing it down or not?
05-07-2016 05:26 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-07-2016 05:26 PM)Bigtom12 Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 05:09 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  Um, what are they building a 50,000 seat stadium in Jackson? There's no college there except Jackson State. There will definitely be no NFL team there.

Well Jackson State would play in this dome stadium, idk how many people go to Jackson State games but the stadium they play in now holds 60,500 people. Idk if they plan on tearing it down or not?

The way I understand it is the current stadium is owned by the city, this new one will be Jackson St's and they will use it for football, basketball, concerts, etc.

The current city owned stadium will probably meet the wrecking ball.
05-07-2016 05:31 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-06-2016 07:33 AM)runamuck Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 10:36 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  I think Craig is realignmented out. Remember he guided the American South - Sun Belt merger and has been with MWC since day 1.

well they wouldnt be a startup program as they played football before. they are pretty competitive in all the sports they offer now and have more support and money to spend now than when they last fielded a team so it doesnt seem like too crazy an idea. because of the success of their hoops and baseball they may feel like they would be stepping down a little to play in the sbc or cusa, so the mwc would be the most likely conf. to target.

They would be a start-up.

You realize that if/when they start football that not one player will have been alive when Wichita State had football and they will almost certainly have people on the football staff who were not born when they had football.
05-07-2016 11:40 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

(05-07-2016 11:40 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 07:33 AM)runamuck Wrote:  

They would be a start-up.

You realize that if/when they start football that not one player will have been alive when Wichita State had football and they will almost certainly have people on the football staff who were not born when they had football.

true but none of those will be the ones putting up their money and support to make it happen.
05-08-2016 07:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.