"Task force recommends Athletics be more self-sustaining"
05-03-2016 08:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: "Task force recommends Athletics be more self-sustaining"
Said every similar study by any university ever.

Snark aside, the idea of cutting a sport- any sport bugs me.

But when 41 programs (even if it's heavily on the certificate/minor side) eyed for elimination, and multiple administrative units eyed for consolidation, athletics can't very well be immune.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 08:52 AM by DogTracks.)
05-03-2016 08:43 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
That is why growing the HAF and season ticket holders for basketball and football is important. Tuition will keep increasing (less funds from state), to offset the increase, student fees might be reduced. The problem is almost every program below the G5, does not generate revenue and donations to cover costs. The good and the bad of NIU athletics is The Yordon Ctr and Chessick IPF facility would not be built if not for football. How much prestige does this add to the University is unknown. Back in 2003, NIU enrollment was up after that season.
05-03-2016 09:04 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I wonder how a university gets to the point where they built so many academic and administrative programs that you can then make a recommendation that those programs get cut or receive reduced funding?

If I was a wrestler or a baseball player I'm starting to see the writing on the wall, unfortunately.
05-03-2016 09:23 AM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-03-2016 09:23 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I wonder how a university gets to the point where they built so many academic and administrative programs that you can then make a recommendation that those programs get cut or receive reduced funding?

If I was a wrestler or a baseball player I'm starting to see the writing on the wall, unfortunately.

I think the academic stuff just grows gradually over time- add a minor or certificate program here and there because of shared student and faculty interest- but eventually student interest wanes and the faculty who supported it retired or moved on to other positions and there's still this thing, pulling low enough resources to stay under the radar until the big picture is examined.

Athletics is so low on flab it's hard to picture cuts. I'd actually be more nervous as a golfer or tennis player- especially tennis which is heavily international athletes. Wrestling at least is limited in travel and has such a small competitive pool that actually being good is doable for NIU (so few teams, and being in the only part of the country where it's really a thing). Baseball is supposedly a conference requirement. Soccer has had success in recent memory and is worth keeping in the long term.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 10:04 AM by DogTracks.)
05-03-2016 10:03 AM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

(05-03-2016 10:03 AM)DogTracks Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 09:23 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I wonder how a university gets to the point where they built so many academic and administrative programs that you can then make a recommendation that those programs get cut or receive reduced funding?

I think the academic stuff just grows gradually over time- add a minor or certificate program here and there because of shared student and faculty interest- but eventually student interest wanes and the faculty who supported it retired or moved on to other positions and there's still this thing, pulling low enough resources to stay under the radar until the big picture is examined.

Athletics is so low on flab it's hard to picture cuts. I'd actually be more nervous as a golfer or tennis player. Wrestling at least is limited in travel and wrestling has such a small competitive pool that actually being good is doable for NIU (so few teams, and being in the only part of the country where it's really a thing). Baseball is supposedly a conference requirement. Soccer has had success in recent memory and is worth keeping in the long term.

Golf isn't going anywhere anytime soon seeing as how we are hosting the NCAA championships next year.
05-03-2016 10:04 AM
Advertisement

Doggone Offline
1st String

Baseball is no longer a conference requirement. Akron cut their baseball team last year.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 10:05 AM by Doggone.)
05-03-2016 10:04 AM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(05-03-2016 10:04 AM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 10:03 AM)DogTracks Wrote:  

Athletics is so low on flab it's hard to picture cuts. I'd actually be more nervous as a golfer or tennis player. Wrestling at least is limited in travel and wrestling has such a small competitive pool that actually being good is doable for NIU (so few teams, and being in the only part of the country where it's really a thing). Baseball is supposedly a conference requirement. Soccer has had success in recent memory and is worth keeping in the long term.

Golf isn't going anywhere anytime soon seeing as how we are hosting the NCAA championships next year.

Plus
Jerry Rich is a big booster. Wrestling seems to be the sport losing in collegiate athletics. Lets hope we get through this and the state gets serious. It looks like Iowa Purdue Ill Minn and Neb do not play soccer
05-03-2016 10:13 AM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-03-2016 10:13 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  Plus Jerry Rich is a big booster. Wrestling seems to be the sport losing in collegiate athletics. Lets hope we get through this and the state gets serious. It looks like Iowa Purdue Ill Minn and Neb do not play soccer

Yeah I don't know if the NCAA Championship does anything for NIU unless there is some sort of NCAA kickback for hosting. The bigger factor is if Jerry Rich and other alums donate directly to the program. The golf team is small in comparison to other programs and really doesn't travel a ton. I would think wrestling would probably go first if anything ever happened.
05-03-2016 10:18 AM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The plus side is Springfield seems to be getting it's **** together, little by little. That said, this process seems destined to cut jobs on campus, so athletics will have to do something. Reorganizing ticketing seems like the low hanging fruit. That and doing something with cheerleading (do they even do competition anymore?).

Since NIU and ISU seem to have been in the best shape outside the UI system through the state mess, hopefully that stays true and the rest of the report can just stay on the shelf and the campus funds steered athletics' way can maintain.
05-03-2016 10:29 AM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(05-03-2016 10:29 AM)DogTracks Wrote:  The plus side is Springfield seems to be getting it's **** together, little by little. That said, this process seems destined to cut jobs on campus, so athletics will have to do something. Reorganizing ticketing seems like the low hanging fruit. That and doing something with cheerleading (do they even do competition anymore?).

Since NIU and ISU seem to have been in the best shape outside the UI system through the state mess, hopefully that stays true and the rest of the report can just stay on the shelf and the campus funds steered athletics' way can maintain.

I did read that even the U of I was looking at some cutbacks.
05-03-2016 10:56 AM
Advertisement

niubrad00 Offline
Boss

"the department should consider eliminating a male, non-revenue sport,"

Can Title IX please go away or be modified to the point where it makes sense? Probably not in this lifetime.
05-03-2016 11:40 AM
kflyer Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-03-2016 10:29 AM)DogTracks Wrote:  The plus side is Springfield seems to be getting it's **** together, little by little. That said, this process seems destined to cut jobs on campus, so athletics will have to do something. Reorganizing ticketing seems like the low hanging fruit. That and doing something with cheerleading (do they even do competition anymore?).

Both the All Girl and Coed Cheer came back from a successful April 7/8 trip in Daytona, FL at the NCA College Nationals. Both teams made it through prelims on the 7th and placed in the finals on the 8th, each earning a well deserved trophy... Congrats to them and CBS Sports network will have the Finals on this weekend, May 8th. So, yes they compete.
05-03-2016 12:16 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(05-03-2016 11:40 AM)niubrad00 Wrote:  "the department should consider eliminating a male, non-revenue sport,"

Can Title IX please go away or be modified to the point where it makes sense? Probably not in this lifetime.
It is moronic

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
05-03-2016 12:21 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-03-2016 08:22 AM)Jwbon Wrote:  http://northernstar.info/campus/task-for...c8d37.html

Who is on this task force?

It seems they do not understand that 16 D1 sports are required by the NCAA to be considered a D1 school?

Technically we have 17 sports offered but really its made up of 16 teams. The 17th is the difference between Indoor and Outdoor Women's track.

That being said with the budget issues I do believe that NIU athletics should cut funding within the administration first but also the cheerleaders and a 17th sport in order to save some money but more importantly keep public support of NIU's D1 status. Also this one sport being cut cannot be a required sport of the AAC or B12.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 12:23 PM by HuskieJohn.)
05-03-2016 12:21 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
If it happens i imagine wrestling, baseball, gymnastics would be on the chopping blocks
05-03-2016 12:56 PM
Advertisement

bigredmachine Offline
2nd String

Vote out Madigan and his cronies. Until Illinois solves its budget mess, everyone will face cuts.
05-03-2016 02:46 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
(05-03-2016 12:21 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 08:22 AM)Jwbon Wrote:  http://northernstar.info/campus/task-for...c8d37.html

It seems they do not understand that 16 D1 sports are required by the NCAA to be considered a D1 school?

Technically we have 17 sports offered but really its made up of 16 teams. The 17th is the difference between Indoor and Outdoor Women's track.

That being said with the budget issues I do believe that NIU athletics should cut funding within the administration first but also the cheerleaders and a 17th sport in order to save some money but more importantly keep public support of NIU's D1 status. Also this one sport being cut cannot be a required sport of the AAC or B12.

Pretty sure it's only 14. Either 7 & 7 or 6m, 8w
05-03-2016 05:45 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-03-2016 05:45 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 12:21 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

Pretty sure it's only 14. Either 7 & 7 or 6m, 8w

This B12 document says that the NCAA FBS requirement is 16.

"As an obligation of membership in the Conference, each Member Institution shall meet NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision membership requirements, which includes sponsoring a minimum of 16 varsity sports, with the minimum of six varsity sports for men and a minimum of eight varsity sports for women."

http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdf...M_ID=10410
05-03-2016 07:21 PM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
Has anyone, anywhere, at any time....ever recommended AGAINST self-sustaining behavior?
05-03-2016 11:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.