Scheduling Obstacles
Bookmark and Share
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
Scheduling Obstacles
Interesting article on VCU's scheduling strategy by Paul Woody in the RTD:

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/s...f017c.html

We are in that dangerous zone where we are having just enough success to scare off folks without having established the rep that would be helpful for getting into the NCAA & NIT.
04-02-2016 07:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
RE: Scheduling Obstacles
"The system is rigged against strong schools from smaller conferences".

The system is rigged ... non-conference scheduling .... post-season tournaments.

We need to acknowledge the "rigging", and act accordingly.
04-02-2016 08:24 PM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(04-02-2016 07:06 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  Interesting article on VCU's scheduling strategy by Paul Woody in the RTD:

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/s...f017c.html

We are in that dangerous zone where we are having just enough success to scare off folks without having established the rep that would be helpful for getting into the NCAA & NIT.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Very interesting article, thanks for posting.
04-02-2016 09:27 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

Paul is always a good read. It really points out that, after we get funding up for recruiting and coach stability, we probably need to consider raising "buying games" cash.

(It's always something...)
04-03-2016 09:11 AM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
Scheduling Obstacles
Scheduling is critical and a very complicated job. Most of it has been done for next year already. There probably are some holes to fill. It takes a lot of skill. Do we have that ability? I don't know. I can't imagine Wm and Mary buying games. That's not in the cards. We need to be aggressive in going to 'buy' games. Think about what Dan Monson does at long beach state. He leads the country in this area. Buy mid season in the conference, his team's are ready to play. They've seen it all. We could do more in this area. There are lots of options geographically. You just have to work work work to get them. First of all you have to want to.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2016 10:19 AM by SoCal Frank.)
04-03-2016 10:10 AM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

It's obviously the silly season for writers who have to create basketball copy between the Elite 8 and the championship game - next week they will be off to Augusta!

Here is another article in the same vein but with a broader perspective: it's national and includes budget considerations.

http://americansportsnet.com/mark-adams-...heres-how/

His solutions strike me as naive; the P5 are not going to be that selfless.

I think our approach should be to continue to focus on infrastructure to create a stronger program. Essentially that means better fund raising to increase coach's salaries, recruiting budgets and summer school scholarships. Hopefully that will result in greater ticket sales (as well as a better game atmosphere) and students who experience successful basketball teams during their years at the college and thus become future donors.
04-03-2016 10:42 AM
Advertisement

BigTribe2 Offline
Special Teams

We've tried several times over the past six years to get the likes of a UVA, North Carolina and Georgetown
by offering 3 for 1 road games for a Kaplan appearance...but no luck. Several others have been offered two for one.

What we are doing now is attempting to set up home and away on an equal basis with Richmond, VCU, George Washington and George Mason...always playing at least one on the road and one at home every season on a rotating schedule. Combined with the ODU series that would give us two attractive home games every year. These games would also be good road games in cities where we have lots of Tribe
graduates.
04-03-2016 02:08 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
The article above infers that no A-10 school worth its salt is coming to Williamsburg for the reasons expressed in the article. All four schools you mention are A-10 schools.

The non-conference home schedule is going to be a continuing problem.
04-03-2016 02:39 PM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(04-03-2016 02:39 PM)nj alum Wrote:  The article above infers that no A-10 school worth its salt is coming to Williamsburg for the reasons expressed in the article. All four schools you mention are A-10 schools.

The non-conference home schedule is going to be a continuing problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agree, but it can't hurt to try.

Also, before we bend over backwards to attract big time schools to play us at W&M Hall we had better fix the game time parking problem at the Hall. You will recall that the handful of extra fans from Drexel attempting to attend the last game of the year caused a massive campus wide traffic jam.
04-03-2016 03:55 PM
TDenverFan Online
All American

Mason played games at Towson and JMU, as well as even smaller schools like Manhattan or Mercer this past season.

We played Richmond at home a year or two ago.

VCU played at MTSU this year.

We could definitely get them to come to Kaplan. It might take a 3/2 type of deal for VCU/GW though
04-03-2016 04:04 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

We should be trying to work our way into one of the early season tourneys, and not the ones that give you an auto three games with other mid majors.

There are several that are single location, eight team fields which would be the only opportunities to play P5 teams on nuetral courts. College of Charleston hosts one such event and next year's field, already set, includes Villanova and Wake Forest.

You can check out where they all stand on bloggingthebracket.com.

Virtually all of them feature P5 teams with a few mid majors thrown in.
04-04-2016 08:51 AM
Advertisement

SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
Scheduling Obstacles
(04-04-2016 08:51 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  We should be trying to work our way into one of the early season tourneys, and not the ones that give you an auto three games with other mid majors.

There are several that are single location, eight team fields which would be the only opportunities to play P5 teams on nuetral courts. College of Charleston hosts one such event and next year's field, already set, includes Villanova and Wake Forest.

You can check out where they all stand on bloggingthebracket.com.

Virtually all of them feature P5 teams with a few mid majors thrown in.

This is exactly what I'm talking about
04-04-2016 09:26 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

I followed the link and see that most of these tournament spots are already filled, although there are some openings. I hope the Athletic Department took the time they weren't at one of the lesser tournaments this spring to work on spots for one of these tournaments next fall. It seems that most of the remaining openings for these were in tournaments where the quarter finals are on the home courts of the P5 teams then moved to neutral sites for the semis and finals.

Here is a question for the new commissioner, would the CAA team up with another conference for a "pre-season" challenge between the conferences? What conference might consider working with the CAA on this? The CAA finished the year as the #9 rated conference. The A10 was #7, the AAC #8, the Mid-American was # 10 and the Summit was #11. Who from this group are attractive and might be agreeable to this type of set up?
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 10:17 AM by LeadBolt.)
04-04-2016 10:16 AM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

I think we are discussing two separate, albeit complementary, objectives.

One is building up SOS with some neutral court games against P5 conference teams. Pre-season tournaments are best for that particularly when we have experienced squads.

The other objective that we shouldn't lose sight of is creating a home schedule that will attract students and area basketball fans. It seems that getting P5 schools is becoming more and more difficult; that problem may extend to A10 and Big East schools. From a student perspective I imagine the most desirable opponents that they have heard of: in-state rivals such as Richmond, VCU, GMU GW, and ODU) and Northeastern schools (Ivies, Patriot, MAAC).

I really enjoy the series with High Point and hope it continues. Unfortunately, neither they nor Wofford are particularly within our student footprint.
04-04-2016 10:22 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
Anyone with half a brain has known this for years and it only adds to why the conferences merging made this problem worse. They grabbed the best of the rest so others had to rise up. It is also the same reason Wichita State has gotten good seedings and been called out every year for "gaming" the system, when all they did was the same thing the power conferences do except without including any power conference teams. It takes tremendous scheduling abilities and a bit of luck. The key is getting home and homes with teams from other strong mid major conferences that will have good years at the time you play them at home. The preseason tournaments are great too, if you have a team that is meant to compete at a high level. You also have to play possum to some level and not show your cards too early if you are going after buy games, because if your team shows up early you will kill chances at those same buy games in the season you really expect to be good. That can be detrimental for obvious reason. It is a very fine line in the sand and very few have gotten a good hold on it. Wichita St has. Bruiser, while he was here, actually did a great job of this, but hardly did his teams match the schedule in the correct years for the success. These articles are fine and dandy but you would never get major conferences to agree to a spending cap. They would just create a new league if it were ever passed.
04-04-2016 03:12 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

The reality is few top 100 teams will ever agree to play us at home. This was the very point of the original VCU article. They have no upside to playing us and a lot of risk.

What is being missed in these comments is the difficulty we are having in getting good quality away games. We should never be playing Howard, Liberty, ect away as we have no upside. Our loss to Howard was the primary reason we got little consideration for the NIT but without that loss we had a low enough RPI to demand consideration!

The comments about getting into a legit preseason tournament is perfect and it is a shame we did not get this done for our rising senior class as we should have a good team next year! Maybe a slot can still be found but the money needs to be committed to the program. As I said last month, money spent on this was a higher priority than going to a "buy in" post season tournament.

just my thoughts
04-08-2016 07:29 AM
Advertisement

NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
The end of bracketbusters really hurt the CAA's chances for an at large bid. The big wins over MVC teams played a huge role in getting at large bids in 2011, 2007 and 2006. It gave everyone in the conference a home and an away game each season with other mid-majors.

The "early" season made for ESPN tournaments are set up around 12 months in advance. Some do have trouble filling final spots, as the Charleston tourney has a couple of times, but you can't be real choosy at this point. You really need to do the courting for these positions more than a year in advance.

The Tribe should start courting for the 2017-2018 season. One wild card is if the CAA is ESPN's doghouse because of the NBCSN deal.
04-08-2016 10:52 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
I agree about the Bracketbusters event. However, those types of games should already be being made without them making them. Sure there are surprises from year to year but a solid scheduling team or coach can make decent predictions and form a schedule with those teams. Hard to believe anyone doesn't think a home/home with an MVC team cant happen for anyone in the conference. It just takes people doing the scheduling awareness and research. Good mids will play each other if they talk with each other. Mids can game the system just like the major conferences do, but has to do it with other top tier mids.
04-08-2016 01:31 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

Since schedules are often set a year or two in advance, there's a bit of guess work. The advantage of Bracketbusters was they matched up teams playing at the same level, with the highest ones on national TV. Great exposure and a chance for a quality win late in the season.
04-08-2016 03:46 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I thought the whole Bracketbusters concept was a fraud, even though it created a little bit of excitement late in the season for an unknown OOC game.

The decisions on picking the last 8-12 at large teams always comes down to mid level P5 teams vs. mid majors. Just matching the mid majors with Bracketbusters only served the purpose of knocking some of them out of the conversation while some mid tier P5 team just slogs along into the tournament.

If they (Espn and ncaa) were genuinely interested in the idea, they would match the lower end P5 teams with the mid majors.
04-08-2016 06:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.