Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Article: "It's Time to Fix College Basketball"
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
Article: "It's Time to Fix College Basketball"
http://americansportsnet.com/mark-adams-...Qg.twitter

“At UT Arlington, we are required to bring in $300,000 in guarantee revenue each year to help support our athletic budget,” Cross said. “The average guarantee is somewhere in the neighborhood of $75,000 to $85,000; therefore, it will take us four games in order to meet this requirement. You will have at least 7-8 road games with only 2-3 home games, unless you play non-Division I games (which don’t count in RPI).

“It is almost impossible to have a high RPI with all of these road games against ‘high major’ opponents. You have to have a magical year, like we did this year, and upset teams like Ohio State, Memphis and UTEP on the road in a hostile environment.”

While UT Arlington won those games, the rest of the Sun Belt was not as fortunate. Once Cross’ team returned to conference play their RPI was guaranteed to fall dramatically as other conference members had much lower computer rankings based on their OOC schedules. The collective impact of the Sun Belt’s road losses versus Power 5 opponents assured the Sun Belt would be a one-bid league.

The Power 5 and Big East play a large majority of their OOC games — more than 86% — at home or at a neutral site. The collective impact is that the Power 5/Big East dominates a selection system by overloading their schedules with a glut of home games versus all other lesser-funded conferences.

No one can say for certain but the 2016 NIT provided some eye popping comparisons. The Power 5/Big East collectively went 9-0 at home in NIT first round games. Over the next two rounds when those schools went on the road to play at non-Power 5/Big East sites those same teams were 0-7.

“Our league has to stop being bought!” said Kermit Davis, head coach at Conference USA member Middle Tennessee. “Programs and leagues that buy games play the most home games. It’s that simple.”
04-01-2016 09:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Article: "It's Time to Fix College Basketball"
(04-01-2016 09:37 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  http://americansportsnet.com/mark-adams-...Qg.twitter

“At UT Arlington, we are required to bring in $300,000 in guarantee revenue each year to help support our athletic budget,” Cross said. “The average guarantee is somewhere in the neighborhood of $75,000 to $85,000; therefore, it will take us four games in order to meet this requirement. You will have at least 7-8 road games with only 2-3 home games, unless you play non-Division I games (which don’t count in RPI).

“It is almost impossible to have a high RPI with all of these road games against ‘high major’ opponents. You have to have a magical year, like we did this year, and upset teams like Ohio State, Memphis and UTEP on the road in a hostile environment.”

While UT Arlington won those games, the rest of the Sun Belt was not as fortunate. Once Cross’ team returned to conference play their RPI was guaranteed to fall dramatically as other conference members had much lower computer rankings based on their OOC schedules. The collective impact of the Sun Belt’s road losses versus Power 5 opponents assured the Sun Belt would be a one-bid league.

The Power 5 and Big East play a large majority of their OOC games — more than 86% — at home or at a neutral site. The collective impact is that the Power 5/Big East dominates a selection system by overloading their schedules with a glut of home games versus all other lesser-funded conferences.

No one can say for certain but the 2016 NIT provided some eye popping comparisons. The Power 5/Big East collectively went 9-0 at home in NIT first round games. Over the next two rounds when those schools went on the road to play at non-Power 5/Big East sites those same teams were 0-7.

“Our league has to stop being bought!” said Kermit Davis, head coach at Conference USA member Middle Tennessee. “Programs and leagues that buy games play the most home games. It’s that simple.”

These are the reasons I'm no longer a fan of college sports and am just an A-State fan. If A-State isn't playing in it, the odds of me actually watching drops to near zero.
04-02-2016 01:06 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
This is one of the reasons they changed the RPI formula in baseball. Teams like UT rarely left home except for conference series, where they had to. Putting more emphasis on losing on the road and less on winning at home forced those teams (LSU, UA, etc) to travel OOC more. (not a lot but more than they used to)
04-02-2016 01:12 AM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
I'm not surprised Catmom beat me to the punch.

I posted it on Twitter last night. Give 1.3 for a road win and .7 for a home and these guys will travel much more.

The irony being that the very reason it changed in baseball is why it won't in basketball. The Big 10, due to their geography and weather, were forced to play on the road in February and could only get 1 or 2 in the NCAA tourney. But they are benefitting in basketball and likely would be opposed to any changes. Considering they basically run the NCAA, it won't change any time soon.
04-02-2016 10:29 AM
RoyK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia
(04-02-2016 10:29 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  I'm not surprised Catmom beat me to the punch.

I posted it on Twitter last night. Give 1.3 for a road win and .7 for a home and these guys will travel much more.

The irony being that the very reason it changed in baseball is why it won't in basketball. The Big 10, due to their geography and weather, were forced to play on the road in February and could only get 1 or 2 in the NCAA tourney. But they are benefitting in basketball and likely would be opposed to any changes. Considering they basically run the NCAA, it won't change any time soon.

Sad but very true.
04-02-2016 10:58 AM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
I've pretty much given up on the Sun Belt doing something to fix college basketball. It can be done, but there appears to be no desire on the part of the league to do anything about it.

My school appears to be a part of the problem. We tolerate an awful coach (sorry to the Graves supporters, but he has failed), schedule multiple non-D1s and don't seem to care about our program.
---

Here's my advice to Sun Belt schools that want to do better

1) There's no rule that you have to have more home games than away games in OOC. Look at the Atlantic 10. Many of those schools play more away games (including neutral site games) than home games. My other school played 8 of their 13 OOC games in 2014-5 on the road. The A-10 started its march to the upper levels of basketball around the mantra "we'll play anyone, anywhere". And they did. Anywhere frequently meant 'on the road'.

2) You can buy home games. Plenty of teams will sell a game.

3) You can sell a game too. Plenty of teams will buy a game.

4) There are plenty of in season tournaments. Can't get into one.. Start one yourself

---

I think an airport meeting is in order. This should be a meeting of schools, across multiple conferences, that are sick of crummy schedules. Put together an OOC scheduling alliance to take up 4 games a year. UALR, Murray State, a MAC school etc. Its obvious none of the individual conferences are going to do squat, so reach out.

Then try to go to one tournament a year. 2 more games

Then, sell two away games at higher level competition.

Then buy two home games against lower level competition.

There you go, 10 OOC games. No Non-D1. Many SBC schools will need to do this for a while before they get home and homes with bigger names as they need to have RPI's that bigger schools covet in OOC opponents. But you'll never get a decent RPI if you keep peppering your schedule with up to four non-D1s a year.

---

Part of the problem is that many coaches don't want to play strong RPI's OOC. Especially on the road. Neither do AD's.

---

Waiting for the P5/Big East/A-10/WCC to solve your problem for you is a cop out. And won't work. You want basketball prominence, you're going to have to take it from someone. On the road.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2016 11:49 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
04-02-2016 11:25 AM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-02-2016 11:25 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I've pretty much given up on the Sun Belt doing something to fix college basketball. It can be done, but there appears to be no desire on the part of the league to do anything about it.

My school appears to be a part of the problem. We tolerate an awful coach (sorry to the Graves supporters, but he has failed), schedule multiple non-D1s and don't seem to care about our program.
---

1) There's no rule that you have to have more home games than away games in OOC. Look at the Atlantic 10. Many of those schools play more away games (including neutral site games) than home games. My other school played 8 of their 13 OOC games in 2014-5 on the road. The A-10 started its march to the upper levels of basketball around the mantra "we'll play anyone, anywhere". And they did. Anywhere frequently meant 'on the road'.

4) There are plenty of in season tournaments. Can't get into one.. Start one yourself

---

I think an airport meeting is in order. This should be a meeting of schools, across multiple conferences, that are sick of crummy schedules. Put together an OOC scheduling alliance to take up 4 games a year. UALR, Murray State, a MAC school etc. Its obvious none of the individual conferences are going to do squat, so reach out.

There you go, 10 OOC games. No Non-D1. Many SBC schools will need to do this for a while before they get home and homes with bigger names as they need to have RPI's that bigger schools covet in OOC opponents. But you'll never get a decent RPI if you keep peppering your schedule with up to four non-D1s a year.

---

Part of the problem is that many coaches don't want to play strong RPI's OOC. Especially on the road. Neither do AD's.

---

Waiting for the P5/Big East/A-10/WCC to solve your problem for you is a cop out. And won't work. You want basketball prominence, you're going to have to take it from someone. On the road.

+1,000,000
04-02-2016 12:13 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Or we could just all drop basketball...

Problem solved.
04-02-2016 12:31 PM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-02-2016 12:31 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Or we could just all drop basketball...

Problem solved.

Judging by the RPI'S of the bottom half of the conference, some schools aren't playing basketball now.
04-02-2016 12:41 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-02-2016 12:41 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  

Problem solved.

Judging by the RPI'S of the bottom half of the conference, some schools aren't playing basketball now.

Exactly...if we're going to throw away money for a mediocre product, why bother?
04-02-2016 01:06 PM
RoyK Offline
Special Teams

(04-02-2016 01:06 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 12:41 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  

Problem solved.

Exactly...if we're going to throw away money for a mediocre product, why bother?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...nt-success

This is why they bother. Of course the sunbelt will never reach that kinda of success in my or your life time. The belt use to actually be pretty decent once upon a time. It'll take work but it could be done.
04-02-2016 02:25 PM
RoyK Offline
Special Teams

(04-02-2016 11:25 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  I've pretty much given up on the Sun Belt doing something to fix college basketball. It can be done, but there appears to be no desire on the part of the league to do anything about it.

---

---

---

---

My thoughts exactly.
04-02-2016 02:31 PM
trapdrawApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
I thought it already was "fixed".
04-03-2016 08:46 AM
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Online

I Root For: South Alabama
(04-02-2016 10:29 AM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  I'm not surprised Catmom beat me to the punch.

At the moment I'm not able to read past this post, but this is my EXACT thought. The Big Ten fussed about baseball scheduling and the NCAA changed the rules to benefit them more and take away any advantages southern teams had. They will be the same ones fussing about not allowing the same change in basketball. It's sickening and part of the reason the Big Ten is and probably always will be the conference I hate the most.
04-03-2016 09:16 AM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(04-02-2016 01:06 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 09:37 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  http://americansportsnet.com/mark-adams-...Qg.twitter

These are the reasons I'm no longer a fan of college sports and am just an A-State fan. If A-State isn't playing in it, the odds of me actually watching drops to near zero.

I'm about the same way. It's all a big money grab -- I suspect the leadership at Georgia Southern wanted to go FBS for reasons that were less than about the highest level of competition than they were about money.

Sad it's gotten to this point.
04-04-2016 11:55 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
Re: RE: Article: "It's Time to Fix College Basketball"
(04-04-2016 11:55 AM)gsu95 Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 01:06 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  

I'm about the same way. It's all a big money grab -- I suspect the leadership at Georgia Southern wanted to go FBS for reasons that were less than about the highest level of competition than they were about money.

Sad it's gotten to this point.

Few G5 schools will make money playing FBS football. But as we proved to the App Administration during our first 1-A Study in the 90's, you won't lose as much as you do playing 1-AA. App already had an outstanding academic reputation and was highly competitive from a admissions standpoint, so that was never a argument of pro 1-A forces. It was all about being aligned with more like minded schools and playing some of our older rivals and getting them to Boone.
04-04-2016 12:21 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
The 1st few things that have to happen are things to the way the game is played. The 2 half system has been out dated now for years. The women went to 4 quarters this year, its time for the men to do the same. Either 4 10 min quarters or add 8 mins and have 4 12 min quarters.

The 2nd thing is to drop the shot clock again. Take it from 30 to 25 and as close to the NBA shot clock as possible. The 35 second shot clock has needed shaved now for 20 years.
04-04-2016 10:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.