Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

D’Antonio Named New CAA Commissioner
Bookmark and Share
billymac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary

So, it's official. We have a new Commissioner. Here's the announcement from the League.

JOE D’ANTONIO SELECTED AS COMMISSIONER OF THE COLONIAL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION

RICHMOND, Va. (March 9, 2016) – Joe D’Antonio has been selected as the second commissioner in the 31-year history of the Colonial Athletic Association.

D’Antonio comes to the CAA from the BIG EAST Conference, where he serves as the Senior Associate Commissioner for Administration and NCAA Relations. He brings a wide range of experience and accomplishments, including more than a decade of work at the BIG EAST and eight years at Providence College, while also earning appointments to some of the NCAA’s most prestigious committees.

I am honored and humbled to have been selected as the next Commissioner of the Colonial Athletic Association,” D’Antonio said. “I deeply appreciate that the Council of Presidents / Chancellors has provided me the opportunity to lead this accomplished group of institutions. I am anxiously looking forward to partnering with the CAA membership in achieving the Conference’s mission of stressing the role of college athletics within the educational framework of the institution. It goes without saying that the CAA is indebted to retiring Commissioner Tom Yeager for his 31 outstanding years of service, and I hope to build upon the foundation that he has set as the Conference prepares to write the next chapters of its history.

In his role as Senior Associate Commissioner at the BIG EAST, he was charged with the oversight of the Conference’s internal operations and its interaction with the NCAA. His duties included overseeing the Conference’s compliance department and the Olympic sport championships department. He also served as liaison to the BIG EAST athletics directors and organized Conference-wide meetings.

“We are thrilled that Joe D’Antonio has agreed to serve as the next Commissioner of the Colonial Athletic Association,” said James Madison University President Jonathan R. Alger, who served as the chairman of the selection committee. “He has impressed everyone with his vision, strategic thinking, and nationally recognized expertise in intercollegiate athletics. Joe brings a wealth of experience from the conference level, the campus level, and from his work nationally with the NCAA. He has a clear passion for the values and educational mission of our institutions, and has worked extensively with a wide range of sports programs as represented in the CAA. With Joe at the helm, the CAA will continue to be a leader in striving for excellence while providing the best possible student-athlete experience.”

D’Antonio is currently a member of the NCAA Division I Legislative Committee, which is one of seven subgroups of the NCAA Division I Council. He was recently appointed to the NCAA Division I Council Two-Year Governance Structure Review Ad Hoc Working Group, which has been charged with considering refinements and enhancements to the new NCAA governance structure and legislative process.

In addition, D’Antonio was a member of the NCAA Division I Legislative Council from 2008-2015 and was the group’s chairperson for two years (2008-2010). He has been the chair of the CCACA (Conference Commissioners Association of Compliance Administrators) since 2007-08.

D’Antonio began his career at the BIG EAST in 2005 as the Associate Commissioner for Governance and Compliance and was promoted to Senior Associate Commissioner for Governance and Compliance in 2009. During that time, he was involved in all aspects of the conference office, including helping to manage and oversee the conference’s FBS football program as well as its nationally recognized men’s and women’s basketball teams.

From 1997-2005, D’Antonio worked as the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance and Administration at Providence College. He served as the athletic department liaison with the financial aid and admissions offices and was a sport administrator for women’s softball and men’s ice hockey. During that time, he also spent two years as the interim director of athletic facilities and game management.

A 1993 graduate of the New England School of Law in Boston where he earned Dean’s List honors, D’Antonio was admitted to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts State Bar in 1994 and worked in private practice prior until 1997. An Abington, Massachusetts native, D’Antonio received his undergraduate degree from Providence College in 1990.

D’Antonio will take over as Commissioner of the CAA on July 1. He replaces Tom Yeager, who has served as the only commissioner in the 31-year history of the conference. Yeager will continue to serve in a consulting role over the next year.

“We want to express our tremendous gratitude to Tom Yeager, our founding commissioner, who has done a superb job in leading the CAA through a period of remarkable growth and change,” said President Alger. “As the longest-tenured commissioner of a Division I conference, Tom has made a profound and lasting impact on college sports and on the lives of many generations of student-athletes.”

QUOTES ON THE HIRING OF JOE D’ANTONIO AS COMMISSIONER OF THE CAA

Val Ackerman, BIG EAST Commissioner:

"Joe has been part of the BIG EAST family for 19 years, and we share his great excitement in realizing a career dream to become a Division I Commissioner. While his outstanding work and good cheer will be sorely missed by everyone in our conference, we look forward to continuing our relationship with him in his new role and know he'll do a fantastic job for the CAA."

Greg Sankey, SEC Commissioner:

“I am excited for both Joe and the Colonial Athletic Association, as I have personally observed his enthusiasm for intercollegiate athletics and his ability as a leader to deal with challenging issues and circumstances. As we move forward in Division I, Joe is the kind of person able to collaborate and innovate to enhance the educational institutions he will represent and support the Colonial's student-athletes.”

Kevin Lennon, NCAA Vice President for Division I Governance:

”Joe D’Antonio represents the very best in athletic administration. Known for his passion, enthusiasm and integrity, and his keen grasp of the national landscape and the powerful role intercollegiate athletics plays in the lives of student-athletes and the campus community, I have no doubt that Joe will work tirelessly to help lead the member institutions of the Colonial Athletic Association as they pursue excellence in academics and athletics for all their student-athletes. Congratulations to the CAA for finding such a capable leader to replace Tom Yeager.”

Tim Leonard, Athletics Director at Towson University and President of the CAA Executive Committee:

“Joe D’Antonio clearly distinguished himself among an outstanding group of candidates. His depth of experience working in a conference office and on campus as well as his work on NCAA committees will be a great benefit to our member schools. We are looking forward to an exciting future with him as the Commissioner of the CAA.”
03-09-2016 02:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hktribefan Offline
1st String

RE: D’Antonio Named New CAA Commissioner
I don't know much about him, but if he comes out of the Big East, I wonder what his football focus will be. It looks like he had some involvement with the Big East football, however much that is worth. Other than that, looks like a good person to lead the CAA.
03-09-2016 04:36 PM
tribemike09 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: W&M
I know so little about what a league commissioner does - can anyone indicate some benefits of having a good commissioner?
03-09-2016 05:43 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Anybody else read that as "D'Antoni Named New CAA Commissioner" and think Nick was a little young for the job?
03-09-2016 08:13 PM
WM_Destro Online
Special Teams

(03-09-2016 08:13 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Anybody else read that as "D'Antoni Named New CAA Commissioner" and think Nick was a little young for the job?

I certainly did!

Great PG during a very lean stretch
03-09-2016 08:49 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

Be prepared for NU to get anything they want.
03-09-2016 11:22 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(03-09-2016 11:22 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Be prepared for NU to get anything they want.

For example? Does NU want the CAA tournament up north somewhere?
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 07:36 AM by WMInTheBurg.)
03-10-2016 07:35 AM
Tribal Offline

Re: RE: D’Antonio Named New CAA Commissioner
(03-10-2016 07:35 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 11:22 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Be prepared for NU to get anything they want.

He's a Massachusetts guy. NU fans have called for the CAAT to move way up north since I can remember.
03-10-2016 09:07 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(03-10-2016 07:35 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  

Providence, RI could be a good place.

Irish coffees and Munchkins pregame?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkin%27_Donuts_Center
03-10-2016 09:52 AM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
I am not going to speak for the few NU fans around, but the northern teams in general kept saying Baltimore/Philly (though I didnt like the idea of it in Philly). Going further north just does not make sense and never did. The northern teams had their chance to show semi strong attendance numbers with it in Baltimore and failed. There is nobody else to blame but ourselves. However going towards NU is not much different than going to North Charleston. Going to the extreme end of the conferences reach is not smart (Yes I understand it is nearest to the two largest fan bases in N. Charleston). If you are going to have an all neutral location tournament you ideally want to be near the center of the geographical footprint. We shall see. It will be interesting what happens down in N Charleston.
03-10-2016 10:22 AM
WMTRIBE75 Online
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
(03-10-2016 10:22 AM)dan10 Wrote:  I am not going to speak for the few NU fans around, but the northern teams in general kept saying Baltimore/Philly (though I didnt like the idea of it in Philly). Going further north just does not make sense and never did. The northern teams had their chance to show semi strong attendance numbers with it in Baltimore and failed. There is nobody else to blame but ourselves. However going towards NU is not much different than going to North Charleston. Going to the extreme end of the conferences reach is not smart (Yes I understand it is nearest to the two largest fan bases in N. Charleston). If you are going to have an all neutral location tournament you ideally want to be near the center of the geographical footprint. We shall see. It will be interesting what happens down in N Charleston.

I agree with your comments, Dan 10.
03-10-2016 11:48 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(03-10-2016 11:48 AM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 10:22 AM)dan10 Wrote:  I am not going to speak for the few NU fans around, but the northern teams in general kept saying Baltimore/Philly (though I didnt like the idea of it in Philly). Going further north just does not make sense and never did. The northern teams had their chance to show semi strong attendance numbers with it in Baltimore and failed. There is nobody else to blame but ourselves. However going towards NU is not much different than going to North Charleston. Going to the extreme end of the conferences reach is not smart (Yes I understand it is nearest to the two largest fan bases in N. Charleston). If you are going to have an all neutral location tournament you ideally want to be near the center of the geographical footprint. We shall see. It will be interesting what happens down in N Charleston.

I agree with your comments, Dan 10.

Same here, with the small qualifier that south is better weather in early March.
03-10-2016 08:01 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(03-09-2016 05:43 PM)tribemike09 Wrote:  I know so little about what a league commissioner does - can anyone indicate some benefits of having a good commissioner?

Can think of a few:
1) maintaining conference stability and plugging solid additions when needed
2) negotiating media support contracts
3) a place at the table of some influence on NCAA matters

Yeager did pretty well in my book given all that has been swirling around in the college sports world.
03-11-2016 07:41 AM
Advertisement

billymac Offline
Heisman

Yeager was well connected and that helped the CAA.

DAntonio, supposedly, was the guy calling the shots (behind the scenes) for the Big East over the past couple years. You can rate that as a plus or a minus, depending on your feelings on how the Big East was run recently.

The undercurrents I am hearing is that it is a pretty big loss for the BE an they need to move fairly quickly to find a strong replacement. Let's hope he is able to move the CAA to a position of regular 2-3 bid League. Much as I dislike Bernie McGlade (she single-handedly ripped up an emerging conference), she DID make her member schools schedule aggressively, with the NCAA Tournament in mind. It appears to have worked.

Good Luck to Mr. D'Antonio.
03-11-2016 08:46 AM
BigTribe2 Offline
Special Teams

Yeager did a great job landing the NBC Sports Channel television contract. Plus Comcast extended and increased its CAA tv games.
03-11-2016 01:11 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
So far, I like the NBCSN and expanded CSN coverage especially for basketball. It does hurt us for exposure with ESPN which started with the elimination of that "bracketbuster" game in February.
03-11-2016 04:05 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar

You win the tourney, you get to host it the next year.
03-11-2016 04:20 PM
Advertisement

nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(03-11-2016 04:20 PM)Rocco Wrote:  You win the tourney, you get to host it the next year.

Probably more fair that you get to choose the neutral site, not host directly.
03-11-2016 04:43 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Home Court sites do not generate any money for the conference. The CAA is not the Patriot league, yet. Most conferences now rotate the tournament within its geographic boundaries. The CAA mainly remained in Richmond for as long as it did because the tournament had good attendance thanks to UR, VCU and ODU. JMU, GMU, and W&M also had a decent number of fans attend. All the big conferences have moved their tournaments around. Even the ACC which has a huge footprint(or Tar Heel?) in North Carolina left Greensboro and Charlotte and went to Atlanta and DC long before BC and Syracuse arrived in the conference. I expect the CAA to be in Charleston for 3 years and then move again. It might be further north than Baltimore, but not necessarily. While Baltimore was a convenient choice for many Tribe fans, I am looking forward to a new venue. It should be an advantage for Charleston. Baltimore was not an advantage for Towson, though.

As previously stated by other posts here, I do not know of a "perfect" location within the center of the conference. If Virginia is even deemed the center at this point.....
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 05:05 PM by TribePride91.)
03-11-2016 04:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.