Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Richmond beats Duke in Mens Lacrosse
Bookmark and Share
ttgwm02 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William and Mar
Richmond beats Duke in Mens Lacrosse
Know this isn't a Richmond fan board, but this deserves notice.

12-10. Wasn't that close. Richmond played an exceptional game.
03-07-2016 09:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Richmond beats Duke in Mens Lacrosse
Is it lacrosse season now? I must have missed it on SportsCenter.
03-07-2016 09:17 PM
Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

No this did not deserve notice...Sorry, but BFD... ttg we all know you are a lacrosse fan but, Sadly W&M is not getting lacrosse anytime soon unless you can raise or donate about 20 million to fund lacrosse and a women program. Respectively , Dude give it up.
BTW...UR has more $$$$ than most schools do and did not have a Title XI since they axed a men's program
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 09:26 PM by Tribe Fan.)
03-07-2016 09:19 PM
ttgwm02 Offline
Special Teams

In fairness...and I actually dont know the answer to this - when was the last time we beat Duke in anything.
03-07-2016 09:29 PM
Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

(03-07-2016 09:29 PM)ttgwm02 Wrote:  In fairness...and I actually dont know the answer to this - when was the last time we beat Duke in anything.

Duke would not play us in football when they stunk like they did UR ...
03-07-2016 09:34 PM
ttgwm02 Offline
Special Teams

Fair enough. I still think its a tremendous accomplishment.

Look, I know its a long shot that W&M will get mens lacrosse. It would take $3M-$5M in private seed money, a visionary AD, and a commitment from the administration to weather the storm of criticism from the inevitable elimination of mens sports that are successful in our conference (if not nationally). Now, it would have a huge upside - compete nationally, home games against the ACC, a great spring spectator sport on campus, attract players whose families will also be in a position (frequently) to donate to the school, high team GPA, television and ESPN3 exposure, etc - but I realize its unlikely.

Now if something were to happen with CAA football and we had to consider the Patriot league, then that changes everything. But I don't see that happening.

I just think its worth noting that Richmond, in its third year, just beat a team that won 3 of the last 6 national championships. Our non-revenue sports couldn't do that against a national power right now by a long shot. We are arguably a more attractive school for lacrosse than Richmond.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 09:54 PM by ttgwm02.)
03-07-2016 09:47 PM
Advertisement

62Indian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
What is this "Lacrosse" thing?? Is it some kind of a fancy polo shirt?
03-07-2016 10:13 PM
ttgwm02 Offline
Special Teams

Indians invented it. Would think you'd know all about it ... weren't they still most of the students when you enrolled? :)
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 10:29 PM by ttgwm02.)
03-07-2016 10:24 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
That's it!

W&M dropped men's lacrosse roughly the same time the school switched from Indians to Tribe.

If men's lacrosse is brought back, does Indians return as well?

:-)
03-07-2016 10:30 PM
WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

Why am I reading about the Spiders on the WM board? Am I the only one here old enough to remember the intense rivalry that we once had with them, and still hates that school?
03-08-2016 11:58 AM
ttgwm02 Offline
Special Teams

(03-08-2016 11:58 AM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  Why am I reading about the Spiders on the WM board? Am I the only one here old enough to remember the intense rivalry that we once had with them, and still hates that school?

It is food for thought. Richmond is on the way to being a top-20 program in a sport W&M should offer. And less than four years after starting a program, they beat a top-ten team with national recognition which has won 3 national titles in the last six years. When was the last time any of our non-revenue sports achieved that kind of a result? Maybe we should pay attention.
03-08-2016 12:08 PM
Advertisement

Dr. Ebirt Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-08-2016 12:08 PM)ttgwm02 Wrote:  
(03-08-2016 11:58 AM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  Why am I reading about the Spiders on the WM board? Am I the only one here old enough to remember the intense rivalry that we once had with them, and still hates that school?

It is food for thought. Richmond is on the way to being a top-20 program in a sport W&M should offer. And less than four years after starting a program, they beat a top-ten team with national recognition which has won 3 national titles in the last six years. When was the last time any of our non-revenue sports achieved that kind of a result? Maybe we should pay attention.

10/13/13, Field Hockey beat #5 UVA 2-1 at UVA.
03-08-2016 12:27 PM
WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

Paying "attention" means nothing here, ttgwm02. Paying "MONEY" is what it would take to start a men's lacrosse program, on top of funding the additional women's sport that would balance us out for Title 9. That money doesn't exist, nor does the interest by anyone who can make the necessary decisions at W&M, unfortunately. If I'm wrong, please show me who in the administration is actually talking about starting a D-1 lacrosse program. Otherwise, enough about the ******* Richmond Spiders. I'm still having nightmares about Jacobi Green.
03-08-2016 12:34 PM
BigTribe2 Offline
Special Teams

Enough already on lacrosse. You make interesting points, it sounds fine for W&M, but it is a phantom
that, at best, is light years away at The College! This subject has been beaten to death.
03-08-2016 12:54 PM
ttgwm02 Offline
Special Teams

(03-08-2016 12:34 PM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  I'm still having nightmares about Jacobi Green.

On that, we can agree.
03-08-2016 02:10 PM
ttgwm02 Offline
Special Teams

And BigTribe, I acknowledge I've beaten this subject to death. It's personally important to me, because I was a pretty strong lacrosse player coming out of high school, but not good enough for UVA. My options were Patriot League Schools, VMI, W&L and the NESCAC. Mary Washington stunk at the time. I was good enough for all of the above, but my parents made too much money to qualify for financial aid, but not enough to pay for a private school. Particularly when I got into W&M. If W&M had the sport, it would have been the ideal level for me. I love W&M and its my only regret about my undergraduate experience - losing the opportunity to compete at a varsity level.

I have spoken with senior people in both the administration and athletics who want to pursue it, but there are some barriers (people and $$) at the moment which make that difficult. I'm not in a position yet to write the check for the seed money. Maybe in ten years.

Seeing Richmond win last night just really pissed me off, because I think W&M would be even better and I hate that good student-athletes who could get into W&M go to a regional school like UR because it offers a growing sport that is highly popular among their target student market. I also spent six years before law school coaching very strong, top-25 high school teams where parents would have loved to send their kid to play at W&M and write big checks to the school, but didn't have that option. I'll keep it off the board going forward.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 02:54 PM by ttgwm02.)
03-08-2016 02:26 PM
Advertisement

Sancho Panza Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: CAA Football
(03-08-2016 02:26 PM)ttgwm02 Wrote:  And BigTribe, I acknowledge I've beaten this subject to death. It's personally important to me, because I was a pretty strong lacrosse player coming out of high school, but not good enough for UVA. My options were Patriot League Schools, VMI, W&L and the NESCAC. Mary Washington stunk at the time. I was good enough for all of the above, but my parents made too much money to qualify for financial aid, but not enough to pay for a private school. Particularly when I got into W&M. If W&M had the sport, it would have been the ideal level for me. I love W&M and its my only regret about my undergraduate experience - losing the opportunity to compete at a varsity level.

I have spoken with senior people in both the administration and athletics who want to pursue it, but there are some barriers (people and $$) at the moment which make that difficult. I'm not in a position yet to write the check for the seed money. Maybe in ten years.

Seeing Richmond win last night just really pissed me off, because I think W&M would be even better and I hate that good student-athletes who could get into W&M go to a regional school like UR because it offers a growing sport that is highly popular among their target student market. I also spent six years before law school coaching very strong, top-25 high school teams where parents would have loved to send their kid to play at W&M and write big checks to the school, but didn't have that option. I'll keep it off the board going forward.

I agree with ttgwm02 that W&M would likely be very successful at men's lacrosse and that the sport would fit nicely into the profile of the school as well as provide more exposure for both the school and men's athletics by competing against ACC and other P5 programs.
The first step, funding currently available or not, and despite Title IX requirements, is awareness by the sports fan base, alumni and administrators that the establishment of a program would be of great benefit to the school. I applaud ttgwm02's effort regardless of what other school is referenced.
I believe that Richmond found a donor who was of similar mind and eliminated a less visible program (soccer, I think) to stay in compliance with Title IX. The same could happen at W&M-- a donor could be found and an acceptable way to stay in compliance with Title IX could emerge, but it will not happen unless discussions like this occur.
03-08-2016 07:35 PM
soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

ttgwm,

even though I am not super on the lacrosse path that you are, I think you should continue to post about it. Maybe a donor would be found that makes it possible. Maybe you will be the donor! Maybe I will be the donor if I start buying lottery tickets.

this board doesn't have a lot of traffic. I think it's perfectly fine to look at what options are potentially out there for W&M.

And I know a lot of the older W&M fans really hate Richmond, but IMO that isn't felt by a lot of the younger alums and current students (I know, they left the CAA, blah blah blah). At most current students get what, 2 home football games in 4 years to build their hatred of Richmond? Perhaps there is a large overlap in applicants, but only 18% of Richmond students come from VA, compared to 66% at W&M. I wonder what the percentage is of W&M students that know a student at UR?
03-08-2016 09:22 PM
Tribal Offline

Re: RE: Richmond beats Duke in Mens Lacrosse
(03-07-2016 09:29 PM)ttgwm02 Wrote:  In fairness...and I actually dont know the answer to this - when was the last time we beat Duke in anything.

We beat them in baseball a few years ago. We rarely play them in anything.
03-09-2016 01:11 AM
Paulbintheburg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
For all you Lax advocates, Women's Lax team plays ODU tomorrow at Noon, bring your chik fila and diet coke to the stadium an watch them play.
03-09-2016 09:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.