Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Decision Time on Brady
Bookmark and Share
Dukester Offline

I Root For: JMU
Decision Time on Brady
I know some will not like the timing of this thread, but I promise you JMU is preparing for what to do at season's end. It's almost upon us. I think the scenarios are somewhat obvious "to me".

I will say perhaps this year's team is the best coached team he's had. This team is playing as well as his third year team, but not as talented.

I'm way more impressed with this team versus the one that went to the Dance three years ago. The seas parted for that team. It was not very good, hence the playin game. It was a #170 team that beat a #190 team in a playin game.

A lot of things going on and a lot of things to consider.

1) This is Brady's last guaranteed year.
2) Brady's Freshman and Soph Classes are very very very weak.
3) Nine Juniors - Two Seniors
4) To me how this team played without Ron Curry was discouraging for next year.
5) New arena a few years down the road.
6) Poor attendance figures, including actual people in the seats is more at Women's games versus Men's games due to all the no shows for purchased tickets at Men's. HUGE negative.
7) Sagarin Rating History
08-09 #131
09-10 #220
10-11 #95
11-12 #244
12-13 #170
13-14 #253
14-15 #187
15-16 #97
8) First 3 yr ave Sag rating =148. Last three years avg = 179
9) First 4 y ave Sag rating = 172. Last four year avg = 176

There's the statement that this program was soooo far down, but in reality only two of the last 7 of Brady's teams have been better than his first. His team, in his first years, were better than his teams in his last years.

If Brady wins the CAA tournament, no way JMU does not bring him back.

If not, it's time to move on. With nine seniors next year, you've got to be sure the coach you have next year is here for years to come because he will select practically the whole team. To let go of Brady after next year would be devastating to the program. Brady's already proven he will not even the classes out which would of been in JMU's best interest.

While I like Brown, to me it was not responsible to add a transfer Junior to this team.

There is no one in the CAA with a weaker Fresh and Soph class.

Win, or it's time to move on.
02-26-2016 08:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MamaDuke Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Decision Time on Brady
(02-26-2016 08:06 PM)Dukester Wrote:  I know some will not like the timing of this thread, but I promise you JMU is preparing for what to do at season's end. It's almost upon us. I think the scenarios are somewhat obvious "to me".

I will say perhaps this year's team is the best coached team he's had. This team is playing as well as his third year team, but not as talented.

I'm way more impressed with this team versus the one that went to the Dance three years ago. The seas parted for that team. It was not very good, hence the playin game. It was a #170 team that beat a #190 team in a playin game.

6) Poor attendance figures, including actual people in the seats is more at Women's games versus Men's games due to all the no shows for purchased tickets at Men's. HUGE negative.
08-09 #131
09-10 #220
10-11 #95
11-12 #244
12-13 #170
13-14 #253
14-15 #187
15-16 #97

There's the statement that this program was soooo far down, but in reality only two of the last 7 of Brady's teams have been better than his first. His team, in his first years, were better than his teams in his last years.

If not, it's time to move on. With nine seniors next year, you've got to be sure the coach you have next year is here for years to come because he will select practically the whole team. To let go of Brady after next year would be devastating to the program. Brady's already proven he will not even the classes out which would of been in JMU's best interest.

While I like Brown, to me it was not responsible to add a transfer Junior to this team.

You really can't help yourself can you? You honestly couldn't wait 24 hours before starting this thread?

Refresh my memory - and I freely admit I could be wrong - Dukeman - Dukester, etc they all run together after a while - but aren't you the poster on the Zone that started a whole thread a few years ago about not renewing season tickets for the first time after many years because you felt disrespected by the Men's coaching staff??

Can't we at least honor Ron Curry and Winston Grays tomorrow before we start the Post Mortem on the season?
02-26-2016 08:18 PM
JMU13 Offline
Special Teams

I don't think he disrespected the seniors in any of his statements, but that's just me. It may be early but he has some valid points. Either way I'm excited to see how this season finishes up!
02-26-2016 08:44 PM
JMU Offline
All American

http://csnbbs.com/thread-768193.html

Memory short, Dukester?
02-26-2016 08:45 PM
Dukeman Online
Special Teams

It was not that long ago that a loss to Elon or Towson would be unthinkable.

Now it is the norm, and we should all be happy......
02-26-2016 08:56 PM
Dukester Offline

(02-26-2016 08:45 PM)JMU Wrote:  http://csnbbs.com/thread-768193.html

Memory short, Dukester?

Nope - things change in months when you're coming to the end of a contract. The season isn't bad, but it's not panned out as I thought it might.

I said a couple months ago I thought it was more likely Brady leaves than gets released. I don't think that is still the case.

It's only weeks until a major decision will be made, one way or the other. I suspect if we don't win the CAA tourney the run could be over. Anyone not agree?
02-26-2016 09:05 PM
Advertisement

JMU13 Offline
Special Teams

Bourne isn't a huge fan of change, I think Brady gets a 2 yr extension.
02-26-2016 09:09 PM
Dukester Offline

(02-26-2016 09:09 PM)JMU13 Wrote:  Bourne isn't a huge fan of change, I think Brady gets a 2 yr extension.

It's not Bourne, it was Rose that was not a fan of change.
02-26-2016 09:12 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(02-26-2016 08:06 PM)Dukester Wrote:  I know some will not like the timing of this thread, but I promise you JMU is preparing for what to do at season's end. It's almost upon us. I think the scenarios are somewhat obvious "to me".

08-09 #131
09-10 #220
10-11 #95
11-12 #244
12-13 #170
13-14 #253
14-15 #187
15-16 #97

Good analysis.
02-26-2016 09:48 PM
PolishFalconDuke Offline
2nd String

The men's basketball program is treading water. That's good enough for some. Not for others. That's really all there is to it. Brady's teams are very predictable. They don't overachieve, and don't really underachieve considering the league and the talent he recruits. We'll see what admin decides.
02-26-2016 10:16 PM
Dukes84 Online
All American

Dukester --

Why would it be devastating to let go of Brady after next season? This year's team, as per what you listed for Sagarin, is 90 slots better, right? If one were to look at Kenpom, and I haven't looked at it in the last week or so, but it showed a similar improvement or better. Also, when looking at next year's team without Curry, you have to look at the additions of Snowden, Hollywood and Shepherd. One could argue that next year's team, provided those are good additions, could be better still, right? Also, you had recently written, when the team was 6-2 in conference, that Brady had turned the corner perhaps. They've gone 4-5 since, losing at home to UNCW, at W&M, at UNCW, home versus NE and at Towson; while beating Drexel on the road, Charleston on the road, Hofstra at home and DE at home. The losses included a one point loss to NE, a two point loss to Towson, a five point loss to UNCW and a six point loss to W&M after surrendering a large lead. During this tough stretch they've also lost, for some period of time, Curry, Brown and Cabarkapa, their top three scorers, to injury.

Meanwhile, the program as per yesterday's paper, was 19th nationally in FG percentage defense (less than 40%) and 4th nationally in 3 point FG% defense (less than 30%). Moreover, their stats in conference, if you down select that at the CAA site, are even better still and they were leading the league in point differential prior to last night's game.

You are correct that the team could use more talent, but the decision, in my humble opinion, should not hinge solely on winning or not winning the CAA tourney. If all coaches within the CAA were held to that standard, they would not have the tenures they do and the league wouldn't be rated the 9th best in the country. Only Brady, Coen and Ross have won the tournament among current CAA coaches if I'm not mistaken.
02-26-2016 11:03 PM
Advertisement

jmufbs Offline
Special Teams

Decision Time on Brady
(02-26-2016 09:48 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  

08-09 #131
09-10 #220
10-11 #95
11-12 #244
12-13 #170
13-14 #253
14-15 #187
15-16 #97

Good analysis.

Caa tourney championship or time to move on.
I think those are the cards on the table .
02-26-2016 11:32 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
I like Coach Brady. Proud of the way he represents JMU. I hope he stays. I do not know how you get rid of a coach that made the NCAA's in 2013, tied for a league title last year and finishes at worst in 5th this year. To me, you have to judge him on his last 4 years. His last 4 years are worthy of a 3 year extension.
02-27-2016 12:32 AM
DolleyMadison Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
I agreed with a lot of Dukester's points when he was praising Brady a few weeks ago and agree with a fe of his points now. But considering his views change more frequently than a politician, probably best to have an actual analysis once we see where this team ends up at the end of the season...

We have a nationally televised game against an in-state rival tomorrow and then we are on to Baltimore where we have a shot at a CAA Championship and a trip to the NCAA tournament. We may only have two games left with these seniors, but hopefully a bunch more.

Let's enjoy the ride and worry later.
02-27-2016 12:38 AM
UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
I dont think important decisions should be made based on a tournaments results. Its mostly variance/luck. If like 10 perfect things didnt go right Brady doesnt make NCAAs a few years back. Where the program is now and where you expect it to be in next few years is so much more important.

This years team is very much inproved and one of his best. Next year should be another solid season. Two years from now looks frightning.

If they fire Matt might as well go cheap and save money on a budget coach if not offering COA
02-27-2016 12:50 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Decision Time on Brady
(02-27-2016 12:50 AM)UofRfan Wrote:  I dont think important decisions should be made based on a tournaments results. Its mostly variance/luck. If like 10 perfect things didnt go right Brady doesnt make NCAAs a few years back. Where the program is now and where you expect it to be in next few years is so much more important.

This years team is very much inproved and one of his best. Next year should be another solid season. Two years from now looks frightning.

If they fire Matt might as well go cheap and save money on a budget coach if not offering COA

Until they address COA, JMU shouldn't worry too much about the coach. They won't get a decent replacement until COA is offered, especially considering most other D1 schools in state are already providing it.
02-27-2016 01:02 AM
Advertisement

nyduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
2 year extension
02-27-2016 07:29 AM
atljmualum Offline
All American

Decision Time on Brady
(02-26-2016 09:48 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  

08-09 #131
09-10 #220
10-11 #95
11-12 #244
12-13 #170
13-14 #253
14-15 #187
15-16 #97

Good analysis.

Agree. I don't think Dukester's post is in poor form. This is a JMU sports message board, and he's discussing a very relevant topic. I dot see anything in his post disparaging the seniors.

For me, it's nice to see a competitive JMU team rather than the bottom feeders Keener and Dillard put out there; however, the program is not playing close to its potential either. There have been moments under Brady where it seemed like it might be heading in the right direction, but it has never gotten there. Add in all the drama with Nation, Davis, etc and all the transfers out of the program, and I'm of the opinion that it's time to move on if we don't win the CAA and make it to the NCAA tourney.
02-27-2016 07:37 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

[quote='Dukesfan71' pid='13043707' dateline='1456551174']
I like Coach Brady. Proud of the way he represents JMU. I hope he stays. I do not know how you get rid of a coach that made the NCAA's in 2013, tied for a league title last year and finishes at worst in 5th this year. To me, you have to judge him on his last 4 years. His last 4 years are worthy of a 3 year extension.
[/quote ]

I agree.
02-27-2016 08:20 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

Decision Time on Brady
I agree with some of Dukester's points, but disagree with many. Too much irrelevant history thrown in the discussion. Also worrying about the future 2 years from now is unwarranted and fruitless. College recruiting can turn on a dime annually with transfers more abundant than ever. Also, the graduate transfers are no risk as they come in for one season as a proven student and no APR issues. There are too many examples across the country to list including every team in the top of the CAA.

I only see one scenario that Brady gets considered for termination...
JMU flames out in the first round of the CAA AND, AND, AND JMU has a big fish waiting in the wings. This would have to be a "Lefty-ish" type name to coordinate with the new Convo fundraising efforts. And COA would have to be offered by Alger who has burned bridges on that topic.

It would be senseless to term Brady and then hire on the cheap and get an assistant from some P5 program while hoping that they could be successful.

The 2013 NCAA bid was only 3 years ago.
I believe last year's team overachieved by tying for the league title.
I believe this year's team underachieved by about 2 games and they were the head scratching home losses. The road record was as good as it is ever going to get. Very Stout. The team is better, the league is better too. More competitive and evenly matched than I have ever seen it in 30 years.

IMO, you can't fire if the team wins one game and makes it to the semis in Baltimore. You certainly don't fire if they win 2 and make the finals. You crown Brady the best coach since Campanelli if they win all 3 games. 2 NCAA bids in 4 years? I know we have some "fans" that still think that wouldn't be good enough, but those fans are donkeys.

Whether we like it or not, the CAA tournament games are more important than the regular season.
39-22 in the past 2 years is good peeps.
0-2 in the CAA tournament in the past 2 years would be bad. That is the only scenario I see that could even generate administrative discussion.

We can hold the annual roster dead pool until after the season since critical games are yet to be played.
02-27-2016 08:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.