Texas State gets Mizzou QB Eddie Printz as grad transfer
Bookmark and Share
Phlipper33 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Texas A&M
Texas State gets Mizzou QB Eddie Printz as grad transfer
http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/2/18...-qb-battle

Also of note in the article:
Quote:First, there are rumblings around town that Everett Withers is toppling the apple cart and dumping the bad ones out (as many as 10 players are reportedly about to be non-Bobcats). Jones may not be rotten enough to fall out, but he has his critics both on the coaching staff and in the fan base, who reportedly are underwhelmed with his work ethic.
02-19-2016 08:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
RE: Texas State gets Mizzou QB Eddie Printz as grad transfer
At the moment, we've got a roster that's QB heavy . . . .

Don't know which are staying or which are leaving, but something's gotta give . . .
02-19-2016 08:54 AM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
(02-19-2016 08:47 AM)Phlipper33 Wrote:  http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/2/18...-qb-battle

Quote:First, there are rumblings around town that Everett Withers is toppling the apple cart and dumping the bad ones out (as many as 10 players are reportedly about to be non-Bobcats). Jones may not be rotten enough to fall out, but he has his critics both on the coaching staff and in the fan base, who reportedly are underwhelmed with his work ethic.

A student in one of our programs is very good friends with him and was running around screaming at how excited she was. Already bought at Texas State shirt haha.
02-19-2016 08:54 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(02-19-2016 08:54 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 08:47 AM)Phlipper33 Wrote:  http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/2/18...-qb-battle

A student in one of our programs is very good friends with him and was running around screaming at how excited she was. Already bought at Texas State shirt haha.

Good on her . .. Everyone looks good in one of those . . .
02-19-2016 08:55 AM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
(02-19-2016 08:55 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

She better not wear that crap into my office. (She knows better)
02-19-2016 08:56 AM
bokobobcat1919 Offline
Sun Belt

I Root For: Texas State
He would arguably be the most talented qb on the roster

Jones still can't throw the long ball. He may be on his way out
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 10:53 AM by bokobobcat1919.)
02-19-2016 10:50 AM
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(02-19-2016 10:50 AM)bokobobcat1919 Wrote:  He would arguably be the most talented qb on the roster

Jones still can't throw the long ball. He may be on his way out

He is not coming here to be a back-up to Jones. Printz committed to UCLA and then nine months later UCLA either withdrew the scholarship offer or he de-committed. No one really knows what happened. He had Brett Hundley in front of him at UCLA and he would never have started.

Anyway, adding a three star QB that can throw a deep ball is a good thing. We need to open up this offense. I would think that some of the excess quarterbacks on the roster might end up playing another position or transferring.
02-19-2016 01:47 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(02-19-2016 08:56 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 08:55 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

She better not wear that crap into my office. (She knows better)

A friend of mine has a boss that's a Tiger High fan. He may have gone through late one afternoon and replaced all the Tiger High junk in the bosses office with Arkansas State gear.

Perhaps she can put Texas State gear all over your office one day.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 01:58 PM by chiefsfan.)
02-19-2016 01:57 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
Has anyone ever gone back and compared Jones's YPP in High School to what he has done at TXST (under Fran) to see if there a significant difference or about the same?
02-19-2016 02:02 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(02-19-2016 02:02 PM)CatMom Wrote:  Has anyone ever gone back and compared Jones's YPP in High School to what he has done at TXST (under Fran) to see if there a significant difference or about the same?

I'm betting you'll see regression . . . Fran's system, if you can call it that, was never QB friendly . . . Particularly if you're a QB that likes to fling it more than 5 to 10 yds.
02-19-2016 02:13 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

(02-19-2016 02:13 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 02:02 PM)CatMom Wrote:  Has anyone ever gone back and compared Jones's YPP in High School to what he has done at TXST (under Fran) to see if there a significant difference or about the same?

I'm betting you'll see regression . . . Fran's system, if you can call it that, was never QB friendly . . . Particularly if you're a QB that likes to fling it more than 5 to 10 yds.

Ok, so I did....

HS - 264/3952=14.96 ypp
(State Championship game he was 17.28 ypp)
TXST - 569/6294=11.06 ypp
difference of 3.9 ypp

2013 11.3 ypp
2014 10.85 ypp
2015 11.18 ypp
02-19-2016 02:43 PM
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
To do a real comparison, you'll need to deduct the YAC for the receivers.

Screen pass that goes 80 yards isn't really indicative of a deep passing game, even if you hit it 15 times a game (that's a whole other passing game, which if you hit 15 of those a game, it's pretty danged good).
02-19-2016 03:13 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

(02-19-2016 03:13 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  To do a real comparison, you'll need to deduct the YAC for the receivers.

Screen pass that goes 80 yards isn't really indicative of a deep passing game, even if you hit it 15 times a game (that's a whole other passing game, which if you hit 15 of those a game, it's pretty danged good).
I'm not doing that much work.
02-19-2016 03:28 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

Something happened to Jones after the Southern Mississippi game, which was a great game for Jones despite the loss. He just didn't seem the same after that game. Printz has two years of eligibility left, so he is not a one year rental. Maybe our new OC Brett Elliott thinks that Printz is a better fit for his offense, which is a very fast paced offense.
02-19-2016 05:07 PM
Godzilla Offline
All American

Good article on why he chose TXST
http://www.texasredzonereport.com/2016/0...om-mizzou/

I think the more competition the better. I'll be pulling for Jones and I think he will win the job next season but if he gets out played, he gets out played. Printz is getting his MBA so it might take him a little while to acclimate to the workload of that on top of learning a new offense, all new people, and a new city. Give him a year then let him come out swingin' in my opinion.
02-19-2016 08:27 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

(02-19-2016 08:27 PM)Godzilla Wrote:  Good article on why he chose TXST
http://www.texasredzonereport.com/2016/0...om-mizzou/

I think the more competition the better. I'll be pulling for Jones and I think he will win the job next season but if he gets out played, he gets out played. Printz is getting his MBA so it might take him a little while to acclimate to the workload of that on top of learning a new offense, all new people, and a new city. Give him a year then let him come out swingin' in my opinion.

Great article. They didn't bring this kid in to backup Tyler Jones. I think they looked at the other five QB's on the roster and didn't think there was anyone ready to run Elliott's offense. Jones does not have the arm to run an Oregon Ducks style of offense and I am not sure he will pick it up as fast as Printz will. My money is on Printz to start.
02-20-2016 12:03 AM
Advertisement

Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
I highly doubt Printz will start. I remember UTSA people got excited when they got a grad transfer from Michigan. His stat line was slightly better than Printz's. He actually completed a pass or two and he couldn't even crack the two deep over there. I'm not getting excited until I get's in a game and lights it up. We know Jones can do that, even under Fran.
02-20-2016 10:17 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

(02-20-2016 10:17 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  I highly doubt Printz will start. I remember UTSA people got excited when they got a grad transfer from Michigan. His stat line was slightly better than Printz's. He actually completed a pass or two and he couldn't even crack the two deep over there. I'm not getting excited until I get's in a game and lights it up. We know Jones can do that, even under Fran.

It is two different situations. Bellomy wasn't going to be on the Michigan football team. Harbaugh had told all 5th year players that they would return by mutual agreement. That meant the players had to want to come back and the new coaching staff had to want them back. Bellomy had to leave. Bellomy had an ACL injury in 2013 and he was just looking for a place to land. Printz was looking for a place to start and had options. He got a good recommendation from the Missouri Head Coach.

Tyler Jones played in a pistol/triple option hybrid offense under Coach Fran. It was a good fit for him. Brett Elliott is bringing an uptempo spread offense to Texas State. Jones has got to prove that he can function in that type of offense. I think his lack of experience in the spread plus his average passing skills are not going to help him in this offense.
02-20-2016 03:19 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
If the coach is any good at all, he's going to tailor his offense to the strengths of his players.

If that happens to be Jones in a pistol/triple option hybrid offense? He better be running that.
If it's not, then he should be changing that offense.

Just like Fritz did at Georgia Southern. He had a different offense that incorporated the pass much more. But he didn't have the players to run that type offense. So he ran a hybrid as he started to recruit his style. We'll never see what Fritz offense was going to look like at GS, but it was clearly not what he ran at Sam.
02-20-2016 05:49 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

(02-20-2016 05:49 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  If the coach is any good at all, he's going to tailor his offense to the strengths of his players.

If that happens to be Jones in a pistol/triple option hybrid offense? He better be running that.
If it's not, then he should be changing that offense.

Just like Fritz did at Georgia Southern. He had a different offense that incorporated the pass much more. But he didn't have the players to run that type offense. So he ran a hybrid as he started to recruit his style. We'll never see what Fritz offense was going to look like at GS, but it was clearly not what he ran at Sam.

The coaching staff has made the decision to run the spread offense. They are not running the offense that we ran last season. Within the spread they will need to find things that Jones does well. Tyler Jones is a very good athlete, but he does not have a strong arm. He is going to have to get better throwing the football and he is going to have to learn to play in the spread offense if he is going to start.
02-20-2016 07:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.