Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Decisions, Decisions, It's Why Anything Could Still Happen!
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
If you are Duke, North Carolina, and Virginia do you want to move to an academically strong conference, one that you never needed before, and park your favorite sports where they fit least? Do baseball crazy fans at all three really want to play in the Big 10? Does their basketball first mentality lose traction in arguably one of the strongest hoops conferences in the nation? Lacrosse will remain regional so it won't really matter about that. Track, Gymnastics, Softball, and Soccer are all stronger in the Southeast. If you don't really put a lot of stock in football would you rather play with the best baseball in the nation? Contend with Kentucky and Florida in hoops in the least crowded field in a major conference?

I'd say there is no clear cut decision here. Travel to minor sports would be slightly easier in the SEC.

If you are Oklahoma and Texas would you want to play a slate of relatively close rivals, or head North?

And if you are Notre Dame and could tag on with an expanded SEC for the cost to T3 rights do you do it? If torn between the Big 10 and SEC would you rather have the exposure to Texas, Louisiana, Florida and Georgia, or the Big 10 footprint?

What if you are the SEC? Would you rather have more football brands or do you want to improve your basketball? At least Texas and Oklahoma have both.

We can assume that Duke, North Carolina, and Virginia would head to the Big 10 while N.C. State and Virginia Tech head to the SEC, but don't the campuses of N.C. State and Virginia Tech actually have more in common with the Big 10 profile? Doesn't the Big 10 need more football branding?

I just want to point out that nothing is set in stone. No deals are done. Only twitter hit whores are speculating. And at least one Big 12 sports writer still thinks OU is headed to the SEC.

Thoughts?
02-17-2016 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Decisions, Decisions, It's Why Anything Could Still Happen!
GREG SWAIM SHOW ‏@GSwaim 24h24 hours ago
Boren quiet for a whole week, but looks like #Big12 expansion geting closer!! #BYU #UCBearcats #UConn #UCF #GoCoogs
http://m.newsok.com/article/5479305

GREG SWAIM SHOW ‏@GSwaim 10h10 hours ago
Bowlsby and rest of #Big12, especially #UT, doesn't want anyone know they caved in to Boren's demands...but they did, thankfully!!

GREG SWAIM SHOW ‏@GSwaim 9h9 hours ago
If you really want to know what got #UT's attention to finally ok #Big12 changes, it was #SEC talking to Boren about the #Sooners.

01-lauramac2
02-17-2016 09:40 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(02-17-2016 08:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  I just want to point out that nothing is set in stone. No deals are done. Only twitter hit whores are speculating. And at least one Big 12 sports writer still thinks OU is headed to the SEC.

Thoughts?

When do we get to beat the Sooners in conference play? 04-cheers
02-17-2016 09:43 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-17-2016 09:43 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(02-17-2016 08:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  I just want to point out that nothing is set in stone. No deals are done. Only twitter hit whores are speculating. And at least one Big 12 sports writer still thinks OU is headed to the SEC.

Thoughts?

Really is there a bad 18 or 20 school SEC/Big 10 scenario?

Let's start with 20:

Big 10 adds Kansas, Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Virginia Tech, & N.C. State. There is only 1 duplicated state in that mix.

The SEC adds Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Oklahoma, Texas and Miami. Notre Dame lands a scheduling agreement, gets bowl connections, and agrees to 6 games versus SEC opponents and all they surrender are T2 & T3 rights to ESPN & the SECN. They remain independent and are not eligible for the conference championship.

Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, and Louisville join with Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, T.C.U., Texas Tech, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Colorado State, South Florida, Central Florida, and Brigham Young to form a new 16 member conference.

The PAC stays as is.

OR

The Big 10 lands: Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Virginia.

The SEC lands: Clemson, Florida State, N.C. State, Oklahoma, Texas, and Virginia Tech.

A new conference is formed out of the remnants and the best G5 remaining. The PAC remains the same.

Why did I pick these alignments? Because neither the SEC nor Big 10 will violate contiguity, or locate outside of their cultural identity. North Carolina and Virginia are truly border states between the two conferences. Georgia and Florida are not. Just as Pennsylvania and North are not for the SEC.

Why Texas and Oklahoma? Because they won't fit the new conference culturally, economically, or historically.

Personally I still like 18:
Big 10 adds Syracuse, Virginia Tech, N.C. State and Boston College.
SEC adds Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, and Florida State. Notre Dame attaches as an independent as described above.

The Big 12 survives as is and adds: Clemson, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Pitt, and Miami. To this they add Connecticut, Cincinnati, and B.Y.U. Now they stand at a very productive 18 as well.

Cincinnati, Connecticut, Iowa State, Louisville, Pitt, West Virginia
Baylor, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami, T.C.U., Texas
Brigham Young, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech

OR,

The Big 10 adds Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, and Virginia.
The SEC adds Clemson, Florida State, N.C. State and Virginia Tech

The Big 12 still expands to 18 out of the remnants.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2016 10:31 PM by JRsec.)
02-17-2016 10:19 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(02-17-2016 10:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Thoughts?

Let's start with 20:

Big 10 adds Kansas, Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Virginia Tech, & N.C. State. There is only 1 duplicated state in that mix.

The SEC adds Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Oklahoma, Texas and Miami. Notre Dame lands a scheduling agreement, gets bowl connections, and agrees to 6 games versus SEC opponents and all they surrender are T2 & T3 rights to ESPN & the SECN. They remain independent and are not eligible for the conference championship.

Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, and Louisville join with Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, T.C.U., Texas Tech, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Colorado State, South Florida, Central Florida, and Brigham Young to form a new 16 member conference.

The PAC stays as is.

OR

The Big 10 lands: Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Virginia.

The SEC lands: Clemson, Florida State, N.C. State, Oklahoma, Texas, and Virginia Tech.

A new conference is formed out of the remnants and the best G5 remaining. The PAC remains the same.

Why did I pick these alignments? Because neither the SEC nor Big 10 will violate contiguity, or locate outside of their cultural identity. North Carolina and Virginia are truly border states between the two conferences. Georgia and Florida are not. Just as Pennsylvania and North are not for the SEC.

Why Texas and Oklahoma? Because they won't fit the new conference culturally, economically, or historically.

SEC adds Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, and Florida State. Notre Dame attaches as an independent as described above.

The Big 12 survives as is and adds: Clemson, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Pitt, and Miami. To this they add Connecticut, Cincinnati, and B.Y.U. Now they stand at a very productive 18 as well.

OR,

Not a PAC or B1G school,
Strongest two SEC additions? OU, FSU

Most valuable SEC additions? UNC, Texas
02-17-2016 11:39 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(02-17-2016 10:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  The SEC adds Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Oklahoma, Texas and Miami. Notre Dame lands a scheduling agreement, gets bowl connections, and agrees to 6 games versus SEC opponents and all they surrender are T2 & T3 rights to ESPN & the SECN. They remain independent and are not eligible for the conference championship.

So you think there's a legitimate chance that the SEC would offer Notre Dame the partial membership? I would not have thought that previously. Not sure what I think about it.

Let's assume for a moment that not only the ACC but the Big 12 collapses as well around the same time.

The SEC makes a few moves to lock down a presence in the Mid-Atlantic and provide a soft landing spot for Notre Dame...

Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Florida State are added in the East. Notre Dame affiliates as the SEC starts sponsoring sports like lacrosse and men's soccer. The league also gives a deal to Wake Forest as a partial member in all sports but football. They get 5 or 6 football games a year as well. Tulane and Rice are brought into the academic consortium as well with promises of athletic scheduling agreements.

Then how about this?

The SEC adds Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa State

Everybody knows I love going to 24, but if all of these schools are on the table then I could see it being very profitable in a lot of different ways. That's 24 full members and 2 partials. 11 AAU full members and 2 additional AAU schools in the consortium.

West: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa State, Missouri, Arkansas
South: Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn
Atlantic: Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State
East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky

5 home/5 away
5 division games
1 permanent rival from each of the other 3 divisions
2 rotating match-ups

Notre Dame and Wake Forest both get 6 games

Tulane and Rice get 2 or 3 games each along with match-ups in other sports.

The B1G tries to keep pace. The first thing they do is add Virginia Tech, NC State, Syracuse, and Boston College. They've now completed their Eastern and Southern expansion, but they need more. The PAC 12 needs more as well. The two finally form a more formal alliance.

A leftover league emerges that occupies the role of a 3rd Power conference albeit not on par financially.

West: BYU, Colorado State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Houston
East: Miami, UCF, East Carolina, Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, UConn

Crazy? Thoughts?
02-18-2016 02:06 AM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM

Thoughts?

Let's start with 20:

The PAC stays as is.

OR

OR,

I like the "OR". 04-cheers
02-18-2016 04:00 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-18-2016 02:06 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(02-17-2016 10:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  The SEC adds Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Oklahoma, Texas and Miami. Notre Dame lands a scheduling agreement, gets bowl connections, and agrees to 6 games versus SEC opponents and all they surrender are T2 & T3 rights to ESPN & the SECN. They remain independent and are not eligible for the conference championship.

So you think there's a legitimate chance that the SEC would offer Notre Dame the partial membership? I would not have thought that previously. Not sure what I think about it.

Let's assume for a moment that not only the ACC but the Big 12 collapses as well around the same time.

The SEC makes a few moves to lock down a presence in the Mid-Atlantic and provide a soft landing spot for Notre Dame...

Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Florida State are added in the East. Notre Dame affiliates as the SEC starts sponsoring sports like lacrosse and men's soccer. The league also gives a deal to Wake Forest as a partial member in all sports but football. They get 5 or 6 football games a year as well. Tulane and Rice are brought into the academic consortium as well with promises of athletic scheduling agreements.

Then how about this?

The SEC adds Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa State

Everybody knows I love going to 24, but if all of these schools are on the table then I could see it being very profitable in a lot of different ways. That's 24 full members and 2 partials. 11 AAU full members and 2 additional AAU schools in the consortium.

West: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa State, Missouri, Arkansas
South: Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn
Atlantic: Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State
East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky

5 home/5 away
5 division games
1 permanent rival from each of the other 3 divisions
2 rotating match-ups

Notre Dame and Wake Forest both get 6 games

Tulane and Rice get 2 or 3 games each along with match-ups in other sports.

The B1G tries to keep pace. The first thing they do is add Virginia Tech, NC State, Syracuse, and Boston College. They've now completed their Eastern and Southern expansion, but they need more. The PAC 12 needs more as well. The two finally form a more formal alliance.

A leftover league emerges that occupies the role of a 3rd Power conference albeit not on par financially.

West: BYU, Colorado State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Houston
East: Miami, UCF, East Carolina, Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, UConn

Crazy? Thoughts?

Where did I say partial membership? Nowhere.

I said we would work out a 6 game scheduling agreement with them. By that I mean they pick who they want to play. In return we (ESPN/SECN) get T2 & T3 rights to those games should they not appear on Notre Dame's Home NBC lineup. We don't get their minor sports and they keep their independence. In other words we schedule 6 games with them a year. They can play a Kentucky or Duke or Vandy for an easy P5, play a Florida, Georgia, Alabama, A&M etc. for their top games. They still have half of their schedule left for Navy, USC, or a Big 10 school if that is what they want.

They get access to games in areas they wish to play. We get a little more content when we have the home site. They play enough strong P schools to be considered for the CFP. They remain independent. We can work out similar arrangements for the other sports, but only if that is what they desire.

Look, with the kinds of moves that would motivate the SEC to move to 18 or 20 schools we would be perpetually strong enough not to be threatened by this kind of cooperation. And, it would appease our benefactor, ESPN, help Notre Dame remain independent, and drive a stake right through the heart of the Big 10 country. Northern Indiana (and Irish fans everywhere) would suddenly have a reason to tune into more SEC games if for no other reason than to visually scout an upcoming opponent. It's the kind of cooperation that two strong entities can enter into without major contracts and huge penalties.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2016 07:56 AM by JRsec.)
02-18-2016 07:33 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2016 07:33 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Where did I say partial membership? Nowhere.

I said we would work out a 6 game scheduling agreement with them. By that I mean they pick who they want to play. In return we (ESPN/SECN) get T2 & T3 rights to those games should they not appear on Notre Dame's Home NBC lineup. We don't get their minor sports and they keep their independence. In other words we schedule 6 games with them a year. They can play a Kentucky or Duke or Vandy for an easy P5, play a Florida, Georgia, Alabama, A&M etc. for their top games. They still have half of their schedule left for Navy, USC, or a Big 10 school if that is what they want.

They get access to games in areas they wish to play. We get a little more content when we have the home site. They play enough strong P schools to be considered for the CFP. They remain independent. We can work out similar arrangements for the other sports, but only if that is what they desire.

Look, with the kinds of moves that would motivate the SEC to move to 18 or 20 schools we would be perpetually strong enough not to be threatened by this kind of cooperation. And, it would appease our benefactor, ESPN, help Notre Dame remain independent, and drive a stake right through the heart of the Big 10 country. Northern Indiana (and Irish fans everywhere) would suddenly have a reason to tune into more SEC games if for no other reason than to visually scout an upcoming opponent. It's the kind of cooperation that two strong entities can enter into without major contracts and huge penalties.

I could see them being interested in a scheduling agreement, but they will need somewhere to store their minor sports. If they're not partnering with a league like the Big East that doesn't offer football then they will probably be obligated to several games with the Big 12 or a leftover league.

If we're not offering partial membership then I don't see us getting 6 games out of the deal. They'll still play USC, Stanford, and Navy so that's 3. I'd estimated at least 4 games from the other league as they will have the leverage of offering a home for the minor sports. There wouldn't be any reason to offer the bowl connections either as they would get that from the other football league. I'm not to opposed to the idea, but I don't see it being workable.
02-18-2016 02:50 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-17-2016 11:39 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

Thoughts?

Let's start with 20:

The PAC stays as is.

OR

OR,

Not a PAC or B1G school,
Strongest two SEC additions? OU, FSU

Most valuable SEC additions? UNC, Texas

I totally agree with your assessment on those 4.
02-18-2016 06:08 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-18-2016 02:50 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(02-18-2016 07:33 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Where did I say partial membership? Nowhere.

I could see them being interested in a scheduling agreement, but they will need somewhere to store their minor sports. If they're not partnering with a league like the Big East that doesn't offer football then they will probably be obligated to several games with the Big 12 or a leftover league.

If we're not offering partial membership then I don't see us getting 6 games out of the deal. They'll still play USC, Stanford, and Navy so that's 3. I'd estimated at least 4 games from the other league as they will have the leverage of offering a home for the minor sports. There wouldn't be any reason to offer the bowl connections either as they would get that from the other football league. I'm not to opposed to the idea, but I don't see it being workable.

I was thinking minor bowls on the years where we didn't fill our obligations. Also, why 6? Because other conferences may pressure them for a partial membership and their usual rivals will play them anyway. Also remember if we expand with 6 ACC schools then 6 out of 20 is a lot better than 5 out of 14. But, it would be entirely up to them.
02-18-2016 06:11 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

GREG SWAIM SHOW ‏@GSwaim 9h9 hours ago
No doubt #SEC wants #Sooners.. so much so, they'd also take #OKState to get them. Ball is in #Big12's court now to do what Boren wants.

I can safely say to #OKState fans that you're in a great situation. Either the #Big12 will add on, or you'll join #Sooners in the #SEC.

GREG SWAIM SHOW ‏@GSwaim 8h8 hours ago
GREG SWAIM SHOW Retweeted Christian Goodman
#SEC told #Sooners if they'll join, they'd also take #OKState per Boren's request. Boren using as #Big12 leverage

Why would Boren be so loud and upfront following #Big12 gag order? Because he has all the cards on his side...Bowlsby getting owned.
02-18-2016 09:25 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-18-2016 09:25 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  GREG SWAIM SHOW ‏@GSwaim 9h9 hours ago
No doubt #SEC wants #Sooners.. so much so, they'd also take #OKState to get them. Ball is in #Big12's court now to do what Boren wants.

I can safely say to #OKState fans that you're in a great situation. Either the #Big12 will add on, or you'll join #Sooners in the #SEC.

#SEC told #Sooners if they'll join, they'd also take #OKState per Boren's request. Boren using as #Big12 leverage

Why would Boren be so loud and upfront following #Big12 gag order? Because he has all the cards on his side...Bowlsby getting owned.

There has been a lot of speculation over the past few years that GOR's would not be enforceable upon state schools as they would impinge the various acts of the legislatures and their abilities to act in the self interest of their respective states. I would think a state like Oklahoma would be the perfect test for this, and Boren the perfect leader to test it. And that is if there is no other way out that would be less likely to be tied up legally.

It will be fun to watch. But if it happens it makes some sense. They have to move as a pair if OU is to keep Texas OOC. It has always been the simplest solution to the dissolution of the Big 12. So if true Boren will get to play out his hand.

I wouldn't mind it as it would most likely guarantee two games in Dallas a year. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the SEC Network headquarters moved to Dallas if Texas were to head East. Then Charlotte becomes the home of the ACCN if the goal is to stop at 16.

I like it for another reason as well. It stops the Big 10 most likely at 16 as they would land Kansas and likely Iowa State or Connecticut.

The ACC stands pat possibly picking up Texas and an indy. They would have 14 plus two partials. Between the SEC & ACC ESPN would have half of the P5 and most of the top brands with large followings.

If true we wait and see if Boren really wants to stick in the Big 12 or if he is SEC bound.

Of course an older plan could be in order too.

The movement of N.C. State and Virginia Tech to the SEC along with the two Oklahoma's would then open up the ACC to make moves to 18 as well. Standing at 12 after the departure of Va Tech & N.C. St. they could land Iowa State, Kansas State, West Virginia and Baylor to move 16 with N.D. & Texas as partials making 18. Should Kansas go to the Big 10 then the Big 12 has enough to dissolve. It could also be that Texas moves with the Texas three and West Virginia joins. It just depends on what ESPN wants to do there.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2016 10:38 PM by JRsec.)
02-18-2016 10:24 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2016 10:24 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-18-2016 09:25 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  GREG SWAIM SHOW ‏@GSwaim 9h9 hours ago

There has been a lot of speculation over the past few years that GOR's would not be enforceable upon state schools as they would impinge the various acts of the legislatures and their abilities to act in the self interest of their respective states. I would think a state like Oklahoma would be the perfect test for this, and Boren the perfect leader to test it. And that is if there is no other way out that would be less likely to be tied up legally.

It will be fun to watch. But if it happens it makes some sense. They have to move as a pair if OU is to keep Texas OOC. It has always been the simplest solution to the dissolution of the Big 12. So if true Boren will get to play out his hand.

I wouldn't mind it as it would most likely guarantee two games in Dallas a year. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the SEC Network headquarters moved to Dallas if Texas were to head East. Then Charlotte becomes the home of the ACCN if the goal is to stop at 16.

I like it for another reason as well. It stops the Big 10 most likely at 16 as they would land Kansas and likely Iowa State or Connecticut.

The ACC stands pat possibly picking up Texas and an indy. They would have 14 plus two partials. Between the SEC & ACC ESPN would have half of the P5 and most of the top brands with large followings.

If true we wait and see if Boren really wants to stick in the Big 12 or if he is SEC bound.

Of course an older plan could be in order too.

The movement of N.C. State and Virginia Tech to the SEC along with the two Oklahoma's would then open up the ACC to make moves to 18 as well. Standing at 12 after the departure of Va Tech & N.C. St. they could land Iowa State, Kansas State, West Virginia and Baylor to move 16 with N.D. & Texas as partials making 18. Should Kansas go to the Big 10 then the Big 12 has enough to dissolve. It could also be that Texas moves with the Texas three and West Virginia joins. It just depends on what ESPN wants to do there.

If they are picking up Texas then the ACC should be in good shape as ESPN can simply convert the LHN at that point.

My thought would be that ESPN should use the SEC and ACC to rip up the Big 12. Place all the schools. That way you don't have to worry about the GOR and that's important because right now the ACC's GOR is the only thing keeping those schools together.

How about...

SEC takes Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State, and West Virginia.

The SEC also gets Virginia Tech in the deal. UNC is scared to death of allowing NC State to leave for the SEC so they cooperate as long as that's not a part of the deal. The ACC wants no part of WVU so ESPN asks the SEC to take them instead and in so doing get partial credit for Western PA and the DC metro area. The rivalry with VT helps maximize interest in the region for the SEC. Perhaps WVU and VT agree to play their annual game in DC for the exposure.

The SEC gets 2 more AAU schools, one blue blood football program(OU), one blue blood basketball program(KU), 3 more solid football brands(OSU, WVU, VT), and 2 more solid basketball brands(ISU, WVU). The league adds 5 markets in all.

West: Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State
South: Missouri, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State
East: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina
North: Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia Tech

Anyway, the ACC gives Texas a sweetheart deal. In exchange for getting full rights to the LHN, the league agrees to take Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU. UT is guaranteed annual games with all 3 in addition to a match-up with Notre Dame. The ACC also takes Kansas State to complete the transaction.

The league also adds UConn to appease the basketball-centric schools, the ones that probably don't want to add any Central time zone schools in the first place.

West: Kansas State, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Louisville, Pittsburgh
South: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, NC State, Wake Forest
North: Boston College, UConn, Syracuse, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke

Notre Dame gets their 5 games. Texas gets 6 because they required so many other concessions.

The 2 leagues also agree on a scheduling pact that recreates some old rivalries in addition to the current ones and creates additional games that are made for TV. The 2 have interchangeable content that can be aired on either conference network.

Thoughts?
02-19-2016 12:41 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
I posted this in another thread but now I see that I should've posted here instead.

Would this be horrible?

SEC gets Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, TT & WV

B1G gets Kansas, Syracuse, BC & UCONN

ACC gets ND, Texas, TCU, Houston, Kansas State & Iowa State

SEC
West Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, TT, Texas A&M, Missouri, Arkansas

Central Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St & Kentucky

East Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, SC & WV

B1G
East Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, BC & UCONN

Central Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue & Northwestern

West Kansas, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois & Nebraska

ACC
Plaines Texas, TCU, Houston, Kansas State, Iowa State & Notre Dame

Atlantic FSU, Clemson, Louisville, NC State, WF & Pittsburgh

Coastal Miami, GT, NC, Duke, Virginia & VT

Thoughts?
02-19-2016 06:47 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-19-2016 06:47 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  I posted this in another thread but now I see that I should've posted here instead.

Would this be horrible?

SEC

B1G

ACC

Thoughts?

There's nothing horrible about it. But wouldn't we both be stronger if we went back to an older plan?

SEC: N.C. State, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State, West Virginia (no top brands but 4 new states)

ACC: Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Kansas State, Baylor, & T.C.U. as full members. Texas as an independent.

You don't lose any markets from the ACC. You pick up 36 million viewers. You get a network.

Nine Big 12 schools get placed. Texas Tech likely goes PAC. If Texas insists upon them then one of the privates goes (probably T.C.U. since they have the poorest attendance and aren't needed if Oklahoma comes to the ACC as between Texas and OU you own Dallas.)

Now the Big 12 is dissolved, the ACC lands the top brands it needs to be competitive with Big 10 and SEC TV revenue.

Isn't Virginia Tech a recent add relatively speaking, and N.C. State as 1 of 4 North Carolina programs worth that kind of move?

Truly the only objection is that the old core leader UNC loses control of the ACC. That is why we are where we are now.

Three six team divisions with Texas and N.D. plugged in at the conference Wild Card spot if their overall record is the next best after the 3 division champs.

I think that is likely a lot more workable, except for the Heels. Apt name for them isn't it!
02-19-2016 07:01 PM
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
(02-19-2016 07:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 06:47 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  I posted this in another thread but now I see that I should've posted here instead.

Would this be horrible?

SEC

B1G

ACC

Thoughts?

There's nothing horrible about it. But wouldn't we both be stronger if we went back to an older plan?

SEC: N.C. State, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State, West Virginia (no top brands but 4 new states)

ACC: Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Kansas State, Baylor, & T.C.U. as full members. Texas as an independent.

You don't lose any markets from the ACC. You pick up 36 million viewers. You get a network.

Nine Big 12 schools get placed. Texas Tech likely goes PAC. If Texas insists upon them then one of the privates goes (probably T.C.U. since they have the poorest attendance and aren't needed if Oklahoma comes to the ACC as between Texas and OU you own Dallas.)

Now the Big 12 is dissolved, the ACC lands the top brands it needs to be competitive with Big 10 and SEC TV revenue.

Isn't Virginia Tech a recent add relatively speaking, and N.C. State as 1 of 4 North Carolina programs worth that kind of move?

Truly the only objection is that the old core leader UNC loses control of the ACC. That is why we are where we are now.

Three six team divisions with Texas and N.D. plugged in at the conference Wild Card spot if their overall record is the next best after the 3 division champs.

I think that is likely a lot more workable, except for the Heels. Apt name for them isn't it!

I'm fine with trading NC State & VT for Oklahoma & the rest but, as you said, NC won't let it happen. The rest of the ACC might override the Tobacco Road objection if ND &/or Texas were full members.

I would let two of TT, TCU & Baylor go to the PAC & replace them with Houston.
02-19-2016 08:31 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-19-2016 08:31 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 07:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Would this be horrible?

SEC

B1G

ACC

Thoughts?

I'm fine with trading NC State & VT for Oklahoma & the rest but, as you said, NC won't let it happen. The rest of the ACC might override the Tobacco Road objection if ND &/or Texas were full members.

I would let two of TT, TCU & Baylor go to the PAC & replace them with Houston.

Lenville, they are going to try to cover all existing P5's first. There won't be any promotions at this point. Now if the Big 12 suddenly decides to stay together then it is possible, but not in a consolidation move to a P4. Somebody will likely get cut, one possibly two.

I do think that if OU, KU, ISU, and at least one Texas school not named Texas were to come on board that there is a better than average chance that Texas and Notre Dame could be convinced. In that case I still don't think it practical to go beyond 18 full members.

Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas

Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Wake Forest

Boston College, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia

That's a pretty nice 18.

Auburn, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, N.C. State, Vanderbilt

Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M

Not too shabby either!

Then we partner with these season ending games:

West Virginia / Pitt
N.C. State / North Carolina
South Carolina / Clemson
Virginia Tech / Virginia
Florida / Florida State
Georgia / Georgia Tech
Texas A&M / Texas
Oklahoma State / Oklahoma
Missouri / Kansas
Arkansas / Baylor
Vanderbilt / Wake Forest
Kentucky / Louisville
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 08:57 PM by JRsec.)
02-19-2016 08:38 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
Not sure if this question was posed before on another thread, but would SEC take the two VA schools and the four NC schools if that was the requirement? If so, that would give SEC twenty schools.

Now if the goal is to get to twenty-four schools, would SEC backfill with Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami and FSU or take a wait-and-see approach with respect to western expansion?
02-19-2016 09:17 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-19-2016 09:17 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  Not sure if this question was posed before on another thread, but would SEC take the two VA schools and the four NC schools if that was the requirement? If so, that would give SEC twenty schools.

Now if the goal is to get to twenty-four schools, would SEC backfill with Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami and FSU or take a wait-and-see approach with respect to western expansion?

The SEC office worked the numbers on the Virginia and North Carolina Schools back in 2010. We could profit then (on the footprint model) with the two Virginia schools, Duke, North Carolina and N.C. State. But, Wake put us into negative territory on valuation for that combination. We determined that if the SEC didn't have to take Wake and could substitute another new state in place of them it would still bring a small profit. But why do it? If you want to block the Big 10 just add Clemson and Florida State. The Big 10 isn't going to take 4 of them let alone 6 and then the SEC still gets into Virginia and North Carolina.

And now that the cable model is in transition the content that Clemson and F.S.U. add is more valuable. Even in 2010 FSU projected a small profit for us and Clemson was a wash.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 09:48 PM by JRsec.)
02-19-2016 09:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.