Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Godawful Idaho Leadership Says Godawful Things
Bookmark and Share
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/col...27180.html

The minute we go FCS would be the minute Idaho loses a donor and Washington State gains a new season ticket holder. If Idaho leadership is content to be a second-rate school then I don't need to waste my time there.

And to the NoDak School of Conspiracy Theorists: Fullerton describes any move by Idaho not as a prelude to the Big Sky going FBS, but as a way for more Big Sky teams to make the FCS playoffs. Yippee!!!!

Looks like dropping football is off the table for now, but so is going FBS Indy. So if the Belt was planning to give us the boot with the idea that they can always scoop us back up if they need us that won't be a possibility. Once we say we're going Big Sky there's no going back to the Sun Belt.
01-08-2016 01:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Godawful Idaho Leadership Says Godawful Things
(01-08-2016 01:46 AM)LatahCounty Wrote:  http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/col...27180.html

The minute we go FCS would be the minute Idaho loses a donor and Washington State gains a new season ticket holder. If Idaho leadership is content to be a second-rate school then I don't need to waste my time there.

And to the NoDak School of Conspiracy Theorists: Fullerton describes any move by Idaho not as a prelude to the Big Sky going FBS, but as a way for more Big Sky teams to make the FCS playoffs. Yippee!!!!

Looks like dropping football is off the table for now, but so is going FBS Indy. So if the Belt was planning to give us the boot with the idea that they can always scoop us back up if they need us that won't be a possibility. Once we say we're going Big Sky there's no going back to the Sun Belt.

I'm not sure why your guys would even want to talk about this publicly.
01-08-2016 01:59 AM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

(01-08-2016 01:59 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(01-08-2016 01:46 AM)LatahCounty Wrote:  http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/col...27180.html

Because they're terrible at PR and at life. This is a boneheaded attempt at polishing a turd in case the vote doesn't go our way. Our prez could be communicating confidence, committing to FBS and explaining why it's in both parties' best interest to continue our relationship (because it is). Instead, we get namby pamby crap about regional rivalries.

It makes absolutely zero economic sense to become the first school in history to drop from FBS to FCS, and it would be a political catastrophe. I can't believe how bone-jarringly stupid it is for Staben to be talking like this. We have a great case to make and he should make it, or he should keep his damn mouth shut.

I swear to God, it's amazing the school has held up as well as it has after the procession of idiots who've run it over the past 15 years.
01-08-2016 02:11 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
This is all part of NoDak's evil plan.
01-08-2016 03:36 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
That was Pebto Bismol inducing.
01-08-2016 03:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ButlerGSU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern

That's exactly what I was thinking. What good does this do for your program or your university right now?
01-08-2016 06:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

8993 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(01-08-2016 06:58 AM)ButlerGSU Wrote:  

That's exactly what I was thinking. What good does this do for your program or your university right now?

While it doesn't necessarily do any good for the program or university right now, at least the administration is being upfront and honest about the discussions that have taken place. At least this isn't an administration like JMU has, one that decides to cut all ties with fans and say absolutely nothing about what conversations are taking place behind the scenes. No, it's not good PR to air out every conversation you have had, I think the administration is being proactive and trying to let the fans know what has happened behind closed doors.

From what I can gather from this article, it looks to me as if your President wants to drop to the FCS and join the Big Sky. He spoke much more on that than he did on trying to stick around the Sun Belt. Saying things like, "We certainly don't have a guarantee of renewal" and "Some of our natural rivals are in the Big Sky" leads you to believe that he may be pro-FCS versus pro-FBS.
01-08-2016 09:08 AM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern

That's exactly what I was thinking. Obviously, you have to do your due diligence and look at all options but speaking publicly about it could be detrimental to the program.
01-08-2016 09:14 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
I know the things being said stink, but I like an administration that is open and frank about its options. They are open about wanting to stay with the Sun Belt but also open that it isn't their decision.

The Sun Belt does want them to be better. If they performed then I think there is no question about keeping them. Heck, I'd want to keep Idaho and NMSU even in a 14 team league if they raised the profile of the conference.

At least they are committed to having football, but the harsh realities would be independence or FCS. Both options suck and the FCS move would really cause havoc within athletics as they'd likely cut salaries and scholarships and perhaps even some sports.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2016 09:27 AM by rokamortis.)
01-08-2016 09:27 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I like Idaho and hope they can work it out because I think 12 football playing members is the best number for the conference. However I still believe that when a better geographic option arises we should then take a long hard look at the football only members.

On the article I echo other in saying this is something they should have kept to themselves.
01-08-2016 10:03 AM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
the linked article Wrote:In addition to a loss in revenue, a change from FBS to FCS would mean a smaller budget, a reduction of football scholarships from 85 to 63 to fit FCS requirements, and an analyzation of all teams in the athletic department.

OT, but who the hell uses that word? Sounds horrible.
01-08-2016 10:14 AM
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
Can we all have a moment of silence for what little of Idaho recruiting there was.................

What a complete moron to talk about this publicly. You might as well make it official and just drop down because you just neutered your entire recruiting staff. If I am recruiting at all against Idaho I throw this article on the table and call it the day. Sorry Idaho this makes the conference look horrible. Get MoSt, EKU, and JMU on the phone now please.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2016 11:10 AM by JCGSU.)
01-08-2016 11:06 AM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
(01-08-2016 11:06 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  Can we all have a moment of silence for what little of Idaho recruiting there was.................
What a complete moron to talk about this publicly. Sorry Idaho this makes the conference look horrible. Get MoSt, EKU, and JMU on the phone now please.

I was thinking the same thing. This will kill the momentum that Idaho was starting to build this season.

Even Ray Watts waited until the decision was made (at least behind closed doors) before making these kind of statements.
01-08-2016 11:09 AM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Sounds like their fate is sealed when I read his remarks.
01-08-2016 11:18 AM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

(01-08-2016 11:09 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  
(01-08-2016 11:06 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  Can we all have a moment of silence for what little of Idaho recruiting there was.................
What a complete moron to talk about this publicly. Sorry Idaho this makes the conference look horrible. Get MoSt, EKU, and JMU on the phone now please.

I was thinking the same thing. This will kill the momentum that Idaho was starting to build this season.

Even Ray Watts waited until the decision was made (at least behind closed doors) before making these kind of statements.

I know this is something you shouldn't say in a group that includes people from Arkansas, but I feel terrible for Paul Petrino. He's done nothing but work his ass off to get us back into position to win games, and he's constantly undermined by the people above him.
01-08-2016 12:00 PM
ButlerGSU Offline
Special Teams

(01-08-2016 11:18 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  Sounds like their fate is sealed when I read his remarks.

Yes, seems like he is trying to soften up the ground among supporters for a disappointing announcement to come...
01-08-2016 12:36 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I still think we should have yearly votes to give a 2-year exit warning. That gives the SBC plenty of flexibility to transition to new members if they come.

But after reading this, I have to wonder if Idaho really wants an extension at all.

I really don't want to drop to 10 without sure replacements in the pipeline.
01-08-2016 12:44 PM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
They've got to do what is best for them. Frankly, FCS is probably it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-08-2016 12:53 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

This sounds more and more like a conditioning drill.

Start talking about it now, so that when it happens that people are ready for it to be said. Condition the minds to expect it.
01-08-2016 12:58 PM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
Agreed EW, if they are talking about it now... it means that is where they want to go.
01-08-2016 01:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.