Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thoughts on Ayn Rand?
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Thoughts on Ayn Rand?
It's been a while since I reread Rand's work, but it's been in my mind since I overheard a couple of coworkers getting into a debate about Atlas Shrugged during lunch today. Unsurprisingly, one thinks it's hot garbage while the other treats it like it's his personal anthem (pun intended). What do you think?

I believe Rand is so controversial because there are fundamental values within her philosophy that cut deeply into the heart of our sociopolitical discourse. While she is accused of having a philosophy of selfishness, I think that criticism misses the point. The idea is that it describes the actual human condition that those who claim to be selfless are often acting in keen self-interest, and the more they pretend to be selfless the more selfish and deceptive they actually are. From that perspective, what her philosophy provides is what could be seen as a far more honest and open acknowledgment of our humanness. If we acknowledge that inherent selfishness, are open about it, and are content with it instead of pretending it doesn't exist, it creates more "real" human relationships.

Regarding her writing style, I've always thought that the key to Rand is to not take her work too literally. Don’t think about politics, economics, and morality, instead appreciate her celebration of excellence and the courage to take responsibility for your own actions. Yes, her characters are unrealistic and her social theories can be questionable, but people who criticize her work on those grounds miss the point. Rand's work should be read as allegory, like Aesop's fables. They're completely exaggerated. The characters are infallible in a way that no real humans are, but that's ok. They're motivating. It puts a stagger in my step. I become Roark and Taggert, uncompromising, unflinching, and unafraid. Rand implores you to be a maker and not a taker, and reminds you that hard work occurs before the paycheck instead of the other way around.

Some people read Atlas Shrugged and walk away thinking that life is unfair, Galt is a world class a$$hole, and that industrialists have an advantage over the rest of us. Others read it and think "F yeah, let's build a railroad!" Rand says to be proud of your work, you can accomplish greatness, personal excellence is the highest aim, some people want you to fail but f them, and to honor those who you love. I've always thought that you've most likely misunderstood Rand if you hate her.
12-30-2015 08:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Thoughts on Ayn Rand?
I enjoyed Anthem but I found just about everything else to be unreadable.

I didn't have a problem with her philosophy just how she wrote.
12-30-2015 08:57 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-30-2015 08:57 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I enjoyed Anthem but I found just about everything else to be unreadable.

Glad to know I'm not alone.
12-30-2015 09:00 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(12-30-2015 08:57 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I enjoyed Anthem but I found just about everything else to be unreadable.

Same here. I honestly couldn't finish any of her books.
12-30-2015 09:14 PM
dawgitall Online
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
long winded and boring
12-30-2015 09:39 PM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-30-2015 09:00 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Me too. While I may agree with many of her thoughts, I just can't read her without being put to sleep.
12-30-2015 11:16 PM
Advertisement

Siborg Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bowling Green
(12-30-2015 11:16 PM)Crebman Wrote:  
(12-30-2015 09:00 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Me too. While I may agree with many of her thoughts, I just can't read her without being put to sleep.

Agreed, I read Atlas Shrugged and felt exactly that way. I have no desire to read anything else she wrote unless I can find a cliff notes version then I might consider it.
12-30-2015 11:24 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
I liked Fountainhead.
12-31-2015 12:59 AM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
I thought The Fountainhead was way better than Atlas Shrugged, John Galt's speech is just ridiculous, although the middle 200 pages of The Fountainhead are also protracted.

I quite like Rand's philosophy, but I have two problems with her legacy. The books are badly written and the Ayn Rand Institute miss the point in my opinion and they give her a bad name. Because of those two things, people who profess to read or quote Rand are seen as nut jobs.
12-31-2015 10:41 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
I took a long time reading AS with breaks in between to think about what Rand wrote. Then I read it again and highlighted passages that I really found though provoking. While I agree she was long winded, I still think it is a magnificent work of literature that has probably influenced more people politically than anything ever written in the modern era. I can for sure say it influenced me a great deal in the way I look at things.
12-31-2015 02:09 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
I tried.....her prose is beyond boring.....she gets way too much credit for simple insight within 'outside wanting in'....

to each his own....

her shite stares you in face daily....
12-31-2015 07:11 PM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Can't bring myself to read books that long.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
12-31-2015 07:14 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(12-31-2015 07:11 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  I tried.....her prose is beyond boring.....she gets way too much credit for simple insight within 'outside wanting in'....

to each his own....

her shite stares you in face daily....

Her work has to be read understanding the era it was composed. Lots of works in that time were overworked and could have been short stories.
12-31-2015 07:15 PM
dawgitall Online
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
Thoughts on Ayn Rand?
I much prefer John Steinbeck.
12-31-2015 08:10 PM
Clueless Economist Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: the underdog
I am a big fan of AS but I am not a fan of Ayn Rand. I like the Public Choice insights in AS.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
12-31-2015 09:42 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Had to read Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead in the same semester in high school. Enjoyed both.
01-01-2016 01:06 AM
Advertisement

QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Her best known disciple was Alan Greenspan.
01-01-2016 08:47 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
The thing about Ayn Rand is she did not think of her philosophy as allegory. Her Magnus opus was AS. The reason it becomes insufferable is because she inserted her philosophy book into the story off the lips of John Galt. When I was younger, I liked Rand a lot. However, her stories aren't allegories. They're straw men. When the characters are so thoroughly idealized and thus become so 2 dimensional, the point she tries to convey is lost on those who can think. When the argument pits "winning the 100 mil powerball lottery" or getting bone cancer, everyone chooses the ideals Rand puts in front of you. In reality, she repackages classical liberalism in her own words. She does a disservice to classical liberalism, and in fact Objectivism is not the same thing. Honestly, not sure what Objectivism really is TBH because it seems to be redefined regularly. One thing I know is she loathed libertarians.
01-01-2016 10:27 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(01-01-2016 08:47 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  Her best known disciple was Alan Greenspan.

And he was far and away a disappointment if you judge him by purely objectivism standards.
01-01-2016 10:29 AM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(01-01-2016 08:47 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  Her best known disciple was Alan Greenspan.

Yeah- He didn't retain too much of Rand. He was a central planner who enjoyed his central planning.
01-01-2016 10:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.